Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/legacy-challenge-2021-08-29
One deck outside the top 10. Its time has past.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you have centralized the bad posting metagame. we used to have a diverse roster of really bad posters itt, from mcmagic to Sickening, but now it's basically all hoot all the time.

I am MTG Cassandra. It is my fate to tell you all the truth of the game but as Richard Garfield spit in my mouth during a PTQ no one will ever believe me.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Legacy honestly looks super sick right now

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

th3t00t posted:

A friend who also bought a box from this case just informed me he opened 11 mythics and 3 fetches. At least one of us did well.

Them's the breaks, man. Cracking boxes and packs is gambling and the odds weren't much in your favor. We've all been there, I'm sure.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I hadn't realised the historic masters stuff was out and played into that planeswalker that turn 4 gave my opponent an emblem where all his creatures got +2/+0.

Doom foretold eats all permanents alike, no matter how broken.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Looting is a key card in the madness deck isn't it? Hogaak plays it as well maybe?

Sampatrick posted:

Legacy honestly looks super sick right now

Legacy's a lot of fun right now. I'd like to see something go out of the delver/standstill archetype, the monkey or daze maybe, to reduce the numbers of those decks but the format is good. Very disappointed to miss out on a 40+ player tourney next week.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

HootTheOwl posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/legacy-challenge-2021-08-29

I am MTG Cassandra. It is my fate to tell you all the truth of the game but as Richard Garfield spit in my mouth during a PTQ no one will ever believe me.

Seriously just stop talking any things you don't know about and insisting you are right. Looting sees play in BR reanimator, Hogaak, LED dredge, Madness aggro and fringe use in other decks. It makes regular appearances in 5-0 dumps and challenges and Eric Landon is the second place trophy leader right now playing reanimator. When you said it was unplayed in legacy you were factually wrong and your inability to just accept you made a mistake is a regular feature of this thread.

Edit: I'd also agree Legacy is in a good place overall. UR delver looks like it's getting held in check by other decks and while I don't like the monkey it's probably not ban worthy.

neaden fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 31, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

neaden posted:

Edit: I'd also agree Legacy is in a good place overall. UR delver looks like it's getting held in check by other decks and while I don't like the monkey it's probably not ban worthy.

Yeah, not sure if a ban is worth it. Not a fan of the monkey but letting the format shake out a while more is a good idea before making any decisions because it's currently a good time.

I like that spicy 11th place grist/ragavan lands deck lol

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Things that are too good for Modern are also too good for Standard, regardless of whether or not they're good enough for Legacy, especially cards that do nothing other than increase deck consistency. There's gonna be something dumb you're gonna be able to do with it in Standard.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 31, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Things that are too good for Modern are also too good for Standard, regardless of whether or not they're good enough for Legacy.

This is not true and you can look at cards like Treasure Cruise, Birthing Pod, Mental Misstep and Dig Through time for examples

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also Faithless Looting existed in standard once upon a time and had remarkably little impact

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Thinking about it overnight, I don't think they are going to unban looting in Modern. Faithless Looting enabling a consistent T2 Archon might be too good. I think there is a very clear reason why Unmarked Grave was a 2 drop. It's perfectly benign in standard though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Froghammer posted:

Things that are too good for Modern are also too good for Standard, regardless of whether or not they're good enough for Legacy, especially cards that do nothing other than increase deck consistency. There's gonna be something dumb you're gonna be able to do with it in Standard.

Yeah buddy remember when Blazing Shoal was loving up standard, those were dark days

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

neaden posted:

Seriously just stop talking any things you don't know about and insisting you are right.

Its totally okay to be wrong and have differing opinions in the MTG thread.

Its like... one small tournament. Reanimator will live on. (pun intended)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Unbanning Looting in Modern would be absolutely deranged lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sampatrick posted:

This is overstated. It wasn't even clearcut banworthy when it got the axe.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Modern could handle it pretty reasonably now, you'd just see a lot more copies of Endurance running around.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't you wake up every night in a cold sweat from a nightmare in which a Planeswalker emblem is chasing you?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Stupid Arena. I don't have one Velomacus Lorehold, and the last 10 Strixhaven packs I've opened have all had gem rewards.
Just give me the mythic, you miserly fucks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Don't you wake up every night in a cold sweat from a nightmare in which a Planeswalker emblem is chasing you?

I don't sleep. The strix that taps on my window whispering of the death of magic only lets up when the blood moon rises.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Even if 99% of us disagree with every one of his takes I think the thread is better for having HTO in it. IDC how insane your perspective is as long as you actually play MTG.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
legacy is super fun

to watch. lol if you're rich enough to afford to play it though. some of us have rent to pay

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I rearranged my entire GenCon schedule so I can finally play vintage and 93/94 in paper again. I cannot wait. Since they aren't really sanctioned formats anymore, I do wish everyone would just piss off about keeping people with proxies out of the events. They need more players and the games are really fun! Just let people play.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

The Klowner posted:

legacy is super fun

to watch. lol if you're rich enough to afford to play it though. some of us have rent to pay

My local store holds unlimited proxy on Monday nights and has had 2 successful 10 proxy $2ks that either maxed out at 64 or came real close since may.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is not true and you can look at cards like Treasure Cruise, Birthing Pod, Mental Misstep and Dig Through time for examples

It may not have been broken, but pod thragtusk decks were so annoying lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also Faithless Looting existed in standard once upon a time and had remarkably little impact

Abzan Reanimator with Mulch and Rites was better, but if that same kinda deck shows up again I assume people will just make it 4 colors because there hasn't been a terrible manabase for 5c poo poo for a decade now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Cool, so the running tally of poo poo you talk out of your rear end without understanding, just on this page, are:

You can respond to people you disagree with without being so aggro.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you have centralized the bad posting metagame. we used to have a diverse roster of really bad posters itt, from mcmagic to Sickening, but now it's basically all hoot all the time.

You can respond to arguments and information you disagree with, without calling out posters. This is poo poo. Calling out people with insults is much worse than people being wrong about magic sometimes. The latter calls for discussion, the former starts fights.

HootTheOwl posted:

You can respond to people's critiques, without "rolling with the punches" by admitting when you're wrong, or else refuting what they're saying, or even just ignoring them. Positioning yourself as the thread punching bag isn't helpful.

Sickening posted:

Its totally okay to be wrong and have differing opinions in the MTG thread.

Yes. Exactly. Mods cannot enforce a thread-truth standard whereby only those with the correct takes are allowed. You are all going to have to figure out how to either ignore your posting enemies, or respond in a civil manner.

fadam posted:

Even if 99% of us disagree with every one of his takes I think the thread is better for having HTO in it. IDC how insane your perspective is as long as you actually play MTG.

Yesssss. We will never, ever run out of people who are incorrect about things, in any TG thread but especially Magic threads, where there's just so much game content to have takes about.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Froghammer posted:

I dunno; I've said before that something like Force of Will is too good for Modern, but might be okay in Standard because card disadvantage actually matters in Standard.

But then Modern got Force of Negation, and it didn't quite ruin everything. And something like Standard when it had Oko/Uro might have been even worse.

I'm probably just a moron.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think modern is good with either force or force. But not both.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CellBlock posted:

I dunno; I've said before that something like Force of Will is too good for Modern, but might be okay in Standard because card disadvantage actually matters in Standard.

But then Modern got Force of Negation, and it didn't quite ruin everything. And something like Standard when it had Oko/Uro might have been even worse.

I'm probably just a moron.

Force of Will in Uro standard would have been some funny poo poo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

I think modern is good with either force or force. But not both.

I like it having the restrictions of force of negation. Full on force of will would be too much.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Doing Time Spiral Remastered draft I got to learn the surprising Madness interaction that you can discard Grave Scrabbler from your hand because you have too many cards, cast it with Madness, return a creature with Madness to your hand, then discard and cast that as well because casting something in your discard step causes a second discard step to occur. It definitely felt like the rules were straining to handle this, but in a cool way

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Force of vigor is good in modern too

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Force of vigor is good in modern too

It was def a card that buying cheap was a no brainer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1432758898793107459?s=20

Anyone know what magic twitter is talking about here? I can't find the juice.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

LSV's bluff maybe?

https://twitter.com/channelfireball/status/1062111157102804993

e:

He's talking about Magic Arena emotes...

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1432762518280318979

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm guessing it's where you're holding Settle on Arena and your opponent has lethal on board so you say Good Game like you're dead to goad them into swinging all out instead of just a couple creatures for lethal.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

I'm assuming he means in general, emoting Good Game in arena to induce your opponent into an all out attack, then Settling them.

Basically a non-issue but spoilers aren't out for two more days and gotta get that ~~engagement~~

LSVs bluff was motioning for a Vampire token off a flipped Legion's Landing, but Dezani was priced into attacking anyway and LSV mostly did it for meme value.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Don't know if there's a specific example they're talking about but this:

https://twitter.com/claire_the_egg/status/1432760109399224323?s=21

Honestly MTGA feels so far removed from playing with another real person to me that there's not much I'd consider "poor sportsmanship" outside of like, intentional slow play to make your opponent want to concede

edit: Whoops missed a whole page sorry

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I used to say "good game" when I was genuinely convinced the game was unwinnable for me but I wanted to play it out anyway. But I ended up winning anyway enough that it made me feel bad so I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Maybe he was just pointing out a random MTG-A game he played and not some event. The LSV token play was amazing and anyone thinking that was scumbagging is just wrong.

Settle the wreckage is one of my favorite cards ever printed. I won a small pptq with bogles and the last game of the match was someone attempting to settle my bogle for the win, only to find that it doesn't work when leyline is on the table. Just fun and fair magic.