Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Children will never ever be able to be vaccinated, ever, so we must send them into the covid mines NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

like is anyone else aware of that reddit post that made the rounds years ago by an autistic guy where he was trying to explain how he and his sister got water weighed and because she put her hair in a ponytail she must've enjoyed doing it and it was unfair because he did not because i'm getting majorly similar vibes from asdf posting "rsv is actually a bigger danger than covid. closing the schools is the worst thing to do."

I'm like 99% sure I got RSV recently (I and my girlfriend both got tested twice and all 4 collective tests came out negative, and my symptoms seemed more RSV-like) and it is definitely an rear end kicker of a virus.

But COVID is way loving scarier.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

asdf32 posted:

Covid harms kids. So does missing school. Find an institution that’s looked at the facts and concluded that we should shut down schools.
Like you've done before, you've ignored other posters that bring up support for the contrary and done this:

ben shapino posted:

the doctor in that article isn't calling for a nationwide shutdown of schools :smug:
while conveniently ignoring that no "institution" is against school closures either.

All you have is your opinion which does have points in favor of schools remaining open. But that does not outweigh the negative consequences of exposing millions of unvaccinated children to an easily spreadable and fatal disease that has undergone a noteworthy mutation.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Oh God he is back?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Zepplins are cool we should use them to deliver food packages to those who need them.

Good idea but I think you might end up with pirates stealing the food. Now a pneumatic tube deep underground, with redundancies (like roads but with tubes) would be more secure, and safer than zeppelins. Like I appreciate you identifying a problem and suggesting solutions instead of just going BUT SCHOOLS PROVIDE OTHER THINGS AND THERES NOTHING TO BE DONE ABOUT IT OFF YOU GO KIDDOS!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 1, 2021

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
A Super Dumb Fucker 32

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Oh God he is back?

T̵͕͖̪̼́ḧ̸͓̳́e̷̮̓ ̴̡̖̞̙̞̠͙̟͕͕̳̻̝͚̆̄̈́̓̉̽͋̀̀͝s̵͚̯̑̇̔̐̀̈̋͗̆̊͘ų̶̨̨̬̗̗̝͇̙̲̪͚̣̯̏m̷̙͚̠͍͓̩͈̜̭̩͙̈́͒̆͛̈̆̏͘͝m̸͖̥̒̾͆̈́́̋̓̇͊̉̄̈́͘͝͠ơ̶̧̼͎͓̝̼̼̂̿͊̿̽͝n̴̥͓͇͍̺̖̙̎́̊̿́i̵͎̦̠̣̘̣̗͇̝͎͈̦̓̊̓̋̆͌n̶̢͇̗͈̳͓̳̪͉̠̗͕̺͗ģ̷̝̮̯̬̩̳̉̎̅͒̓͛̚͜͠͠ ̴̢͓̳̯̮͚̯͖̜̋̃̐̅̆̈́̐ͅͅh̴̤͚̮͉̫̮̗̝̥̾͜a̷̢̧̢̮͚̻̲͍̞̼̰͖̔͆̽͋̕͝ͅs̶̘̩̙̹̟̀̑͂̾́̈́̉̍̽̚͜͝ ̵̛͓͖̯͔̲̂̏͗̋̌̎̋͑̾̉̑̑̽͝b̸̧͉̏͗̍̑́ŗ̴̩͔̝̾̌̄̈́̕o̸̫̿̅́̀̄̎ü̸̧̦͖͖̺̬͛̀̀g̶̛̮̞̼͐̽̓̾̅̏͆̂̃͑͋̚ḩ̴̙̻̗͕̹̄̈́̎́̐̓͒̂̓́t̷̡̼̪͈̿̑̃̃́͠ ̵̨͉̣̬̗̜̼̱̣͊̈͂̃̾͑͛͋̏̑h̸̨̰͍̟͍͙̱͕̾͆͒̔͑i̴͙̝̪̗̪͓͈̟͖̥̱͕͐͋͗̋̏̓͝m̶̯̞̻̲̙̰͕̦͆͛̄͒̅̒͐̀̑̆̐ ̸̢̢̪͉̲̼̠̻͇͒̽̓͂̌́̚f̸̡̧̢̞̰͈̟̜̫̑ở̵̡͕̪͍̳̤̩͈̫̲͖̰͜͜r̸̛͉̜̟̗̭̮͍̗͚̟͓͚͉̈́̄͌́͗̈̋̎͘͝͠ẗ̶͎́̈́̈́͗h̷̡̲͕̖̬͍̞͙̦̪̜́͝ͅͅ.̵̨̱̱͔̟̣͙͚̆̆̂ ̵̻͙̲͉͎̯̲̻̽͊͆̐͂̅̆̎̔̅̀͌͠A̵̛̹̻̙̝̠̹̖͕̝̍̇̃̇́͋̒̈l̸͎̹͔͈͙̻͍͚̻̻̾͌̍͌́͆̊͌̈͌̕̕͠͠l̵̨̧̛̞͓̼͚̺͕̬̼̺̦̆̇̌́͛̀̈͆͘͘͝ ̷̟͊́͊̀̎̚͘͠i̸̡͕͖̟̺̦̫͓̟̳̞̾͗̾̀̇̎͐͊́̚͜͝s̸̢̤͕̟̯̱̲̝̖͓̼̽ͅ ̵͕̆̈͛̑͆͗̔͒͠ả̷̧̧̙̠̞̜̘̬̤̠̓͂̓̾̅̾̽̉̎̀̾͌̕͝s̵̻̥̦͕̟͇̣̓̈́̀̐͐̈́̿͐̌̕̚͝͠ḑ̸̯̮͉̠̱͉̖͔̠̫̞̠͈̈̀͊̔̈́͊̋͘͜f̷͙̽́̋̄3̴̧̛̱̪͎͍̪͇͙̞̘̽̈́͑͐̽̎̈́̈́́̾̿͘͠͝ͅ2̶͇̫́̉.̶̡̨̦̥̫̠̱̝̮͚͕͓̣͋͐̀̀ ̵͉͍͈͓̫͔͒ͅĂ̵̢͆l̴̡̢̺̺̮͓̲̫̞̰̼̟͍͓͋̍̐̆̍̿̇̉̌̓́̏̓͘l̸̰͈̫̅̃̀̐̉́̏͋̇̇̍ ̸͉̙̋͐̍̽͛͒́̐̾̈́w̷̛̲͈̯̤̩͉̼̯̟͙̳͖̯̲̓͐̍͋̈́̈́̑̊̐̓̚i̷͚̻͈̔̈́̀̌̊̑̈͑̍̈͛̚͠l̶͎̬͙̠͓̘͔͚͔̑̍̓͛̅̓̋̈́͐͋̚͜͝ͅl̸̙͈̐ ̶͇̘͓̘̟̈̿͌́͂͂͛̅̍͝b̷͙̻͖̖͍͓͓̩̠͓̘̹̥͗͐̑́̓͂̆̚̚͠͝o̶̳̫̩͎̯̙͓͎͍͎̼͆̎͆̈́́̃̔ͅw̷̰̞̰͑͗̔̐͜͠ ̸̧̱͓͔͉̣̤͉̙̼̭́̓̈́̅̑̒̊̑͂̑̕ͅt̶̗͙̗̯̣̣͔̠̲̺̪̗͇̾̐͑̌̚o̷͓̰̘̱͈͉̗͉̽̚ ̷̖̯̮̓͛̈́͌̀͂͌͝h̷̡̬̙̲̬̼̜̙͔̤̲̀̈́̎̀̉̀̒i̴̢͕̟͇̣̞̖̲̜̟̞̤̗̎̂̆͜ͅs̶̳̖̗̺̭͕̙͉̘̄͜ͅ ̵̗̗̙̳̫͑̀͋́̅̔̍̑̈́̎̅̕̕͠į̵̢̤̙̥̩̮̥̩̙̝̦͛̈̈́̎̏̚͠ͅn̸̢̡̥̝͎̠͔̫̘̫̥̊͋͗t̵̻̠̼̽͗̐̄̔̿͑̎̃͑̑e̸̹̖̜͌͛̿l̷̑̽͒̒͌̐̂͂̕͜͝͠l̸̛̩̥̠̓̈͊͋̾̅ę̷͎̫͇͕̇̿́̄̋̔͌̌̚̕c̴̭̗̟͓͚̗͑̎̎͑̾̌̀̿̈́̄͗͗̈̌̚ͅť̶̡͎̠͕͇͔̟̬̰̗͖̩͛̾͛̀͑̽̔̽̕͝͝͠u̸̧̝̜̹͎̯̲̮̣̗̙͕͖̳̤͌ä̶͙͈l̸͙͉͈͖͈̱̊́͒̑̐͘ ̴̨̧͓̳̖̫͙̥͎͚̳̳̼̔̈́̋͗̔̓m̵̨̯̟̘͇̜̙͎͉͎̦̺͍̭̀̔̀̒̉̂̅̾̂͝ȋ̶̺̱̫̘̭̰̥̲͚̲̯̝͙̯͇̀̈̾͑͗͋̆̒̓̀̇̑g̵̭̗͔̖̬̀͌̊̔͠ḩ̶̦͉̦̲̭͈̗̺͚̹̎͘̕͝t̶̮̘̭̖̳̹͓͖̤̦͖͙̗͎͔͑̋̐̿͘͘͠.̶̻͚̜̖͎̈́̄́̍

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the White House has made it very clear that since vaccination is a personal choice this is now a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" they forgot about kids and people who legit can't get vaxxed for medical reasons

https://twitter.com/potus/status/1421931307341332480?lang=en

They're trying to pull that same bullshit messaging in Australia but we don't have the vaxx availability and there's still millions of people who can't get a vaxx appointment so it's not going over well. :v:

I think one difference is that our premiers are sending out a very strong message that once people do have the opportunity to be vaccinated, those who choose to remain unvaccinated will have to continue living under restrictions, and they are absolutely hammering the federal government about procuring more supplies.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I wonder if it would be possible to convince chuds that microdosing sodium fluoroacetate protects you from covid?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Bad Purchase posted:

You’re trying to compare poorer educational outcomes that result from school closures with excess student deaths (and a general acceleration of the delta wave that already has a lot of hospitals at their breaking point) that are resulting from schools remaining open. The two things are measurable but aren’t directly comparable. You can have an opinion on what should be prioritized, health or education, and what the thresholds should be but your vague “look at the data” arguments are worthless because there’s no objective comparison. It’s apples and oranges.

The only thing I agree with the anti-shutdown crowd about is that it makes very little sense to only close schools and leave everything else open. But I assume everyone here who thinks schools should close right now also feels that way about theaters, bars, theme parks, gyms, etc. Or at the very least limited to masked and (not or) vaxxed people.

Yes it’s wise for people to state their goals. Tolerance and comparison of risk will vary.

That said it’s far from only educational outcomes. Shutdowns cause other measurable health problems and put kids at risk for various other hazards (depression, bad homes, loss of good meals etc).

We already have reference points for societal risk tolerance such as flu, rsv or, say, school sports related injury/death. So it’s clear that society will tolerate covid whether you agree with that goal or not.

Finally experts matter. No one has yet to post an institution or study that evaluated the risks and actually recommended shutdowns. Anyone saying we should take those actions are on their own.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

asdf32 posted:

Finally experts matter. No one has yet to post an institution or study that evaluated the risks and actually recommended shutdowns. Anyone saying we should take those actions are on their own.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

while conveniently ignoring that no "institution" is against school closures either.

looks like you are too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

asdf32 posted:

Yes it’s wise for people to state their goals. Tolerance and comparison of risk will vary.

That said it’s far from only educational outcomes. Shutdowns cause other measurable health problems and put kids at risk for various other hazards (depression, bad homes, loss of good meals etc).

We already have reference points for societal risk tolerance such as flu, rsv or, say, school sports related injury/death. So it’s clear that society will tolerate covid whether you agree with that goal or not.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/6181-alabama-children-diagnosed-with-covid-in-2-weeks-5-times-more-than-2020.html

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
asdf32 seems to be ignoring anything anyone says and the articles they post and is just talking to himself. Like, nothing is sticking in their head.

I'd ignore them. It's futile trying to engage someone like that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pennywise the Frown posted:

asdf32 seems to be ignoring anything anyone says and the articles they post and is just talking to himself. Like, nothing is sticking in their head.

I'd ignore them. It's futile trying to engage someone like that.

i mean the plan is for me to post a new link to an article about alabama dying from covid faster and harder than any other state in 'murica every time he posts and see who runs out of fuel first

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Here is a single article pointing out negative consequences of school closures. Is this really what you want to do?
https://en.unesco.org/covid19/educationresponse/consequences

You know the vaccine carries risk right? Did you get one?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

asdf32 posted:

Here is a single article pointing out negative consequences of school closures. Is this really what you want to do?
https://en.unesco.org/covid19/educationresponse/consequences

You know the vaccine carries risk right? Did you get one?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/28/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

asdf32 posted:

Is this really what you want to do?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Ugh, stop quoting that guy so I don’t have to see his posts. I have him ignored for a reason.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Ugh, stop quoting that guy so I don’t have to see his posts. I have him ignored for a reason.

signing on to this initiative right here

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Yeah post it or any major institution or research backing nationwide shutdowns. I’m not talking about temporary shutdowns in response to an outbreak.

I’m talking about the tolerance this thread has for people saying to shut everything down (white privileged childless people no less).

You've had multiple people come out to talk about how the pandemic has effected their kids, and you were replying earlier to my post where I talked about my decision to pull my kids out of daycare because of local numbers specifically to tell me how harmless covid-19 is. So you know for a fact that many posters itt are not childless and are just posting in bad faith. Even nationally, school closures poll positively among parents

Everything else you post is contradicted by readily available evidence, so it's not surprising that this would be too

You also know that posters are talking about schools temporarily shutting down in response to high local numbers of cases, which happen to be bad everywhere at the moment. This state is, by its nature, temporary; one way or another, cases will come down. This has been explained to you multiple times.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
DeSantis followed through on his threat to withhold salaries to school board members who approve mask mandates, let's see if the white house follows through on their promise to pay the salaries instead

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1432684699588169728

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Nm

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Yeah I'm sure having a friend die of covid wouldn't make someone depressed lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

asdf32 posted:

This is the only part of your post that had any substance at all, and even then it's just throwing stuff out to see what sticks. How many extra kids or family members died from shutdown-related depression, bad homes, or starvation compared to normal in the past 2 years? And how many covid cases traced to a school outbreak ended in a kid or a kid's family member dying in the past 2 years? Are you suggesting this is the objective comparison you want to determine whether schools should be open, because I think it's pretty obvious what the answer will be. Just one point of reference -- in my county, in the 3 weeks since schools opened, about 5% (~3500) of the students and faculty have tested positive. Another ~2700 were quarantined this week awaiting tests. The risk to kids is fairly low, but higher to faculty and family -- some of these cases will be fatal, guaranteed, and the case rate is still accelerating.

I think you would be better off conceding that there is no direct, objective public health comparison in your favor, and sticking to the realm of opinion instead.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I am so loving done.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Awesomesaurus posted:

If hellbanning was still a thing he seems like he'd be a good candidate for it.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

yo mods, threadban that dipshit asdf32. nobody wants him in here

do your dang jobs already, gently caress

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Thank you to whoever ponied up :10bux:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

You've had multiple people come out to talk about how the pandemic has effected their kids, and you were replying earlier to my post where I talked about my decision to pull my kids out of daycare because of local numbers specifically to tell me how harmless covid-19 is. So you know for a fact that many posters itt are not childless and are just posting in bad faith. Even nationally, school closures poll positively among parents

Everything else you post is contradicted by readily available evidence, so it's not surprising that this would be too

You also know that posters are talking about schools temporarily shutting down in response to high local numbers of cases, which happen to be bad everywhere at the moment. This state is, by its nature, temporary; one way or another, cases will come down. This has been explained to you multiple times.

I’ll keep it simple: find someone who backs your claim that schools should be closed and post it. We can go from there. A think tank, medical organization an example from another country. You should be able to find something beyond emotional appeal and anecdotes simply repeating that covid risk exists (which we all know).

In case you really like those (I don’t) my son was in the ICU with RSV years ago. My wife is an NP in a pediatric ICU (one that’s had almost zero covid patients throughout for what it’s worth). I’m also teaching my kids how to ride bikes and swim (among the largest killers of children). So I have experience with childhood health and safety risks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

asdf32 posted:

I’ll keep it simple: find someone who backs your claim that schools should be closed and post it.

go back to d&d nerd

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

asdf32 posted:

anything at all

sut..... da fuk up

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

asdf32 posted:

I'm pro child death. Debate me!

Lol.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
School board meetings aren't getting any saner
https://twitter.com/AndyOstroy/status/1432730279559450626

School covid quarantine rules are getting dumber
https://twitter.com/RobinCogan/status/1432657470015561732

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

I’ll keep it simple

We know you will

asdf32 posted:

find someone who backs your claim that schools should be closed and post it. We can go from there. A think tank, medical organization an example from another country. You should be able to find something beyond emotional appeal and anecdotes simply repeating that covid risk exists (which we all know).

In case you really like those (I don’t) my son was in the ICU with RSV years ago. My wife is an NP in a pediatric ICU (one that’s had almost zero covid patients throughout for what it’s worth). I’m also teaching my kids how to ride bikes and swim (among the largest killers of children). So I have experience with childhood health and safety risks.

Schools are already shutting down so frequently that someone made a helpful tracker showing which schools are currently closed due to covid-19 outbreaks

https://districtadministration.com/school-closings-tracker-where-covid-shut-down-schools-again/

Sometimes they're shutting down in response to a big outbreak, sometimes they're shutting down because they literally don't have enough healthy staff to legally keep the school open. When it's voluntary, often the decision comes from protocols written with guidance from the local health department. Even the CDC's guidance has been in favor of school closures during periods of high transmission or when medical facilities are overburdened, both of which are true conditions for much of the country. So step the gently caress off, everyone is on the same page except for you and a small minority of like-minded covid denialists.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

asdf32 posted:

I’ll keep it simple: find someone who backs your claim that schools should be closed and post it. We can go from there. A think tank, medical organization an example from another country. You should be able to find something beyond emotional appeal and anecdotes simply repeating that covid risk exists (which we all know).

This one note trolling is tiresome.

Either come up with a better gimmick, or go back to calling people the N-word on your Playstation.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
An entire year in lockdown, then four months of trudging into my debt-strangled office, and within TWO WEEKS of my kids starting classes:

Just god drat it, I hate Texas.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hasturtium posted:

An entire year in lockdown, then four months of trudging into my debt-strangled office, and within TWO WEEKS of my kids starting classes:

Sorry fellow Texas goon. I hope they just got a mild case and shake it off quickly. Also yes our state does indeed suck.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hasturtium posted:

lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Wait, does Gov. Abbott have a relationship to the testing giant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Like SALT IN THE WOUND

And I’ve been fully Pfizer-vaccinated since March, I will most probably be fine. Just constantly exhausted and snotty right now.