Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
CC looks amazing when the textures are upscaled although admittedly I haven't found an emulator configuration that actually runs it well like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh no, that wasn't the rear end in a top hat move, that was fine. It was making Serge touch the Frozen Flame that was the rear end in a top hat move.

e: Though I guess since not even FATE itself knew about the Prometheus Circuit there wasn't any way to foresee the consequences and under normal circumstances Serge would have been healed and they could've just gone on their merry way. So alright maybe he wasn't an rear end in a top hat.

e2: I guess the real rear end in a top hat is Balthasar for setting up the whole thing in the first place.

Belthasar deliberately engineered the near complete annihilation of not one but two hyper advanced societies either of which might have been able to help solve the Time Devourer problem (not to be confused with the Devourer of Time) had he just told anyone else about his concerns.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cirus posted:

Belthasar deliberately engineered the near complete annihilation of not one but two hyper advanced societies either of which might have been able to help solve the Time Devourer problem (not to be confused with the Devourer of Time) had he just told anyone else about his concerns.

RPG bad guys do a lot of hosed up stuff but for some reason the scene with the sad music where the spirits of the dinosaur people lament their erased existences in Terra Tower really stuck with me

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The feeling that anyone with a vaguely memorable name/faceplate in CC could be recruited was what I liked about it. The elements and stamina were both cool systems too.

MVG shared a clip of the intro to CC at 60FPS without PS1 slowdown (the aquarium pan through the water behind Press Start) and it was pretty amazing:
https://youtu.be/DU5Cs1tz66Q?t=393

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Man 240p wreaked havoc on UI design, didn’t it?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah.

see now I really want to play it again, because it's a freaking awesome and ridiculous game, it just aged really poorly.

a Moguri Mod for Chrono Cross would be loving incredible

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know Chrono Cross is poo poo because Chrono would never call someone a murderer, he would just silently go into his combat stance.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Electromax posted:

The feeling that anyone with a vaguely memorable name/faceplate in CC could be recruited was what I liked about it. The elements and stamina were both cool systems too.

MVG shared a clip of the intro to CC at 60FPS without PS1 slowdown (the aquarium pan through the water behind Press Start) and it was pretty amazing:
https://youtu.be/DU5Cs1tz66Q?t=393
The jellyfish look so weird moving at 60fps, just these hyperactive blobs undulating. Their animations at least were designed around the fps limitations.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The only good time travel is what used to be DBZ’s version, also used in Shadowbringers: you change that timeline’s future but your own still exists.

I haven’t watched Dragon Ball Super but my impression of others who have tells me its time travel went off the rails.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IMO it also ranks up there with Xenogears in terms of games whose battle systems aged incredibly poorly

To age poorly, the combat system would've had to have been good to begin with.

Professor Beetus posted:

I really liked how Lost Odyssey handled this. They let you grind to a point in each area but it topped out and started to give neglible XP as a way of helping the player know they should move along.

Suikoden did a similar thing, though you could also abuse the formula to jump ahead in levels, sometimes by a massive amount. Like at Neclord's castle you can solo one of the 5 enemy fights and you'll jump to endgame levels on Tir, or bring a 2nd person with the champion rune to have them jump to around or slightly higher than the 'expected' end game level. In S2 you can jump to level 99 with certain late/end game enemy groups if you're solo...etc. Though you never need to do so because the system keeps you at the right level range for your point in the story unless you run from literally everything.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dragon Ball Super took the Z time travel and layered it on top of divine immunity and pre-existing parallel universes. It’s…a lot and even after trying to understand it I still don’t.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DrakePegasus posted:

The only good time travel is what used to be DBZ’s version, also used in Shadowbringers: you change that timeline’s future but your own still exists.

I haven’t watched Dragon Ball Super but my impression of others who have tells me its time travel went off the rails.

Super was about as on the rails as time travel + multiverse theory can be expected to be.

SettingSun posted:

Dragon Ball Super took the Z time travel and layered it on top of divine immunity and pre-existing parallel universes. It’s…a lot and even after trying to understand it I still don’t.

All of those pre-existing parallel universes were caused by Trunks. :eng101:

Earth in the original DBZ timeline is a lifeless world thanks to Cell. Or at least no intelligent humanoid life exists at the very least.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 1, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Remember when CC suddenly kicks off an environmentalist plot and the shithead dwarves invade and genocide the fairy conclave with massive smoky warmachines and then go “this is you humans’ fault for not respecting the earth!!!”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Remember when CC suddenly kicks off an environmentalist plot and the shithead dwarves invade and genocide the fairy conclave with massive smoky warmachines and then go “this is you humans’ fault for not respecting the earth!!!”

Its my favorite part, the dwarves give you incredible poo poo for loving up their ecosystem and then commit genocide and ruin someone elses. Its like the standout bit of writing in the game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The environmentalism thing really did just come out of nowhere, didn't it? I guess the game did come out in the 90s, saving the environment was both rad and tubular.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
But now in the 2020's we know that human-caused Hydra extinction is just a liberal myth.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

CC might have infinitely better gameplay than Xenogears but in terms of writing it's pretty much the reverse. I don't even hate CC's writing, it's just confused and trying to do way too much, including trying to be Xenogears.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CC's gameplay really isn't all that great, the color stuff isn't all that deep. there's a million spells of "does damage"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i don't think the crono/lucca/marle that call serge a murderer are supposed to represent our heroes from CT. they're bitter alternate dimension versions of themselves whose quest was screwed over by serge's existence in some unspecified way. the "home world" versions whereas the CT party are from "another world", which is still on track to be saved by the events of CT as normal. you never interact with the ghost kids in "another world" because there are no ghost kids, there.

i wouldn't necessarily call the convolutedness of CC "good" but it does provide endless poo poo to speculate about

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I guess the only thing I don't understand about Chrono Cross is why you have to fight Lynx. Like, Lynx wanted Serge's body to unlock FATE to make sure that it could create the future where Lavos is killed and Chronopolis exists. So like, all he had to do is say "Hey Serge, come with me so you can unlock this computer for me." Why all the poo poo with body swapping? And even if he had to do the body swapping, once he got Serge's body, shouldn't that be like, okay, future is saved since now he can access FATE, let's just go home and kick back on the beach. And it can't even be "revenge for killing Kid" since she didn't even die. Nothing about the plot makes sense when you realize that Lynx achieving his goals is good for everyone.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
There were 2023 days between FFIV and FFVII

It has been 1737 days since FFXV was released

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I guess the only thing I don't understand about Chrono Cross is why you have to fight Lynx. Like, Lynx wanted Serge's body to unlock FATE to make sure that it could create the future where Lavos is killed and Chronopolis exists. So like, all he had to do is say "Hey Serge, come with me so you can unlock this computer for me." Why all the poo poo with body swapping? And even if he had to do the body swapping, once he got Serge's body, shouldn't that be like, okay, future is saved since now he can access FATE, let's just go home and kick back on the beach. And it can't even be "revenge for killing Kid" since she didn't even die. Nothing about the plot makes sense when you realize that Lynx achieving his goals is good for everyone.

I believe when you first meet Lynx he actually does say "Hey Serge come with me". It may have worked better if he said it BEFORE he threw a knife at Kid though :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

here's my response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oev150cdqyw

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CC's music owns and I often just have this playing in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHaeUlRWFuE

The music and how good the environment looked made CC a really good and chill time :yaycloud:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Leal posted:

I believe when you first meet Lynx he actually does say "Hey Serge come with me". It may have worked better if he said it BEFORE he threw a knife at Kid though :v:

Lynx also burned down Lucca's orphanage for...some reason? So he probably wasn't really entirely there, mentally. Still, the game should have been over when Lynx took Serge's body, like at that point FATE is restored and Lavos goes back to being defeated for good.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

DrPossum posted:

The promise has been made...

Seriously though I expect 16 to be out next year.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Lynx also burned down Lucca's orphanage for...some reason?

FATE sent him there to kidnap lucca so she could be forced to shut down robo (the prometheus circuit), who is locking FATE's access to the frozen flame. personally i trust robo and i assume he has a good reason for screwing over FATE; FATE being restored wouldn't lead to the destruction of lavos, it having access to the flame vs not having access is not the reason why the timeline is hosed in home world. serge was always supposed to be the master of the frozen flame and FATE is trying to mess up the whole stupid convoluted plan that belthasar put together by taking access back from serge and using it for its own ends. why serge was supposed to be connected to it seems to be a plot thread that was cut for disc space/devtime reasons along with a million other mechanical and narrative concepts that have a vestigial presence in the final game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like Chrono Cross except for the part where it has maybe one of the worst regular battle themes of all time

I don't know what the gently caress happened there

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I love Chrono Cross. I just started a replay a few weeks ago.

The entire plot is delivered in two to three giant exposition dumps. Not even Christopher Nolan's Joker could think up or unravel a master plan as convoluted and reliant on pure luck as Balthasar's bullshit.

The Frozen Flame is the very definition of a McGuffin. Everyone wants it. It's the central driving force of the plot. And it never does or is used for anything.

Still love the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Its my favorite part, the dwarves give you incredible poo poo for loving up their ecosystem and then commit genocide and ruin someone elses. Its like the standout bit of writing in the game

The sad thing is that it's actually very accurate. Climate change is going to cause many genocidal wars as people fight for dwindling resources.

:sigh:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I just wish Chrono Cross had just been a spiritual sequel instead of trying to shoehorn in the elements of CT. Then it wouldn't have had the baggage of trying to live up to one of the best JRPGs of all time. And it might not have been so muddled storywise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I just wish Chrono Cross had just been a spiritual sequel instead of trying to shoehorn in the elements of CT. Then it wouldn't have had the baggage of trying to live up to one of the best JRPGs of all time. And it might not have been so muddled storywise.

I think one of the worst decisions was bloating the cast so that party members had to be interchangeable in enough places to ruin the development of most of the game's recruitable characters. Each character in Chrono Trigger was fairly beloved for good reason, and Chrono Trigger is almost a proto-mass effect 2 in which you can go through a bunch of personal drama with your friends and help them achieve some closure or not before going and saving the world or galaxy in which your survival is not guaranteed. It's a great game model and part of what makes Chrono Trigger a beloved classic imo.

I guess what I'm saying is I agree if a spiritual sequel had a core cast of memorable characters that save the world in a dimension hopping adventure rather than time hopping because I would have loved it immensely.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 1, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they were way too attached to the "everyone in el nido is recruitable. everyone." idea that they started the project with. that was going to be the big pie in the sky idea that the game was built around, that somehow there would be meaningful content for literally everybody. then they realized this was absolutely insane, but, well, the artists have already done portraits and models for korcha and macha and van and sneff and...

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 1, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Glenn was rad and him getting to dual wield Einlanzers should have had way more story gravitas.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jazerus posted:

they were way too attached to the "everyone in el nido is recruitable. everyone." idea that they started the project with. that was going to be the big pie in the sky idea that the game was built around, that somehow there would be meaningful content for literally everybody. then they realized this was absolutely insane, but, well, the artists have already done portraits and models for korcha and macha and van and sneff and...

Yeah, their only attempt at giving the interchangeable characters any, well, character, is to do the obnoxious dialogue thing of adding the CHAs, having some characters have Cyan syndrome, etc

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DrPossum posted:

It's a lot faster to make top down RPGs with sprites that don't animate!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

to be clear, i think there is a likeable core cast in CC, even if it's rather large. it's serge, kid, leena, guile/pierre/nikki, norris, glenn, karsh, fargo, harle, and starky. if you are feeling generous you could include viper, riddel, korcha, and sprigg, but they strike me as "important NPC" more than "party member". but yeah, everybody needing to share lines because there is another half of the cast that's just a bunch of weirdos drags it down a lot

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 1, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jazerus posted:

to be clear, i think there is a likeable core cast in CC, even if it's rather large. it's serge, kid, leena, guile/pierre/nikki, norris, glenn, karsh, fargo, harle, and starky. if you are feeling generous you could include viper, riddel, korcha, and sprigg. but yeah, everybody needing to share lines because there is another half of the cast that's just a bunch of weirdos drags it down a lot

Yeah I have to admit I don't really have any fond vibes about any of the characters because knowing the twist really made me bitter about the game and caused me to ignore it for a long time. Still love the soundtrack though, those first few areas from the attempts I made to play through it were spectacular, especially the new overworld themes.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

My favorite part of Chrono Cross is the in engine translator for party dialog. Rather than 50 different variations on a single line of dialog they would run one line through this translator and it would add in each characters unique way of speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've beaten Chrono Cross several times and quite enjoy it, but thats probably because for whatever reason this one time this insanely confrontational game worked for me. You liked Robo? Watch him die on screen in a textbox. You have any interest in the part of the world you actually explored in Chrono Trigger? Piss off, enjoy this tiny archipelego chain. Want a cool boss? Sorry the hardest enemy in this game is a regular fisherman. Dwarves blame you for being greedy? Guess what they're just as poo poo as humans, there is no good in the world.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 1, 2021