Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

achillesforever6 posted:

Chip is busy with Volition stuff announcing Saints Row (which looks good despite all the bullshit people gave it for that trailer)

The new game's trailer/concept stuff feels really weird, but oh my god the nuclear meltdowns the usual suspects are having over it is another level entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

The new game's trailer/concept stuff feels really weird, but oh my god the nuclear meltdowns the usual suspects are having over it is another level entirely.

Is there anything these large adult children are not enrgaged over these days? These people are a high blood pressure medication manufacturerer's wet dream. Also probably diabetes and high cholesterol for good measure :rimshot:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If something exists, someone on the internet is mad about it. And if something doesn't exist there's probably someone on the internet that's mad about that too.

It's such a rote observation at this point that you might as well be calling water wet.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Super Bunnyhop did a video about Cruelty Squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmw03kISS4

I'm not surprised to hear that the game's artstyle is the result of the creator knowing his stuff and deliberately working against it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

Honestly what blew me away wasn't the usual suspects (I thankfully have no way of being exposed to that radioactive waste on the regular) but the dumb as hell Kotaku article declaring that silly games are dead because...the Saints Row trailer wasn't obnoxiously in your face cah-razy?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yardbomb posted:

What's weird about it, what I've seen of it seems to be hitting the SR stuff pretty well. Is it just that it's a reboot that doesn't seem interested in doing a lovely retelling of the original story? Because that's one of the things that make me actually interested in it. Let the Third Street Saints rest, their story has been finished for a long time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

They had to almost trip over themselves to yell there would be character creation because some people went all the entire way out of their drat minds that they might be playing a black woman, who could possibly be thought to be the MC from the trailer.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Hel posted:

What's weird about it, what I've seen of it seems to be hitting the SR stuff pretty well.

It came off really, to use a dumb word, 'twee' to me I guess? That's just what came to mind from the little I've seen, game will likely still be fun, but it felt odd.

Dawgstar posted:

They had to almost trip over themselves to yell there would be character creation because some people went all the entire way out of their drat minds that they might be playing a black woman, who could possibly be thought to be the MC from the trailer.

Yeah that's dumb people got all wound up about some poo poo like that, though as a positive to goofier character stuff, I'm alright with being Crime Urkel.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 31, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it looked like watch dogs 2

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Twee seems like a good word for it, they seem to be leaning into the startup culture aesthetic thing so I'm curious where it goes.

I do hope it's more than just 'tech startup but gangs' though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the people who were like "it needs to have stuff like the dildo bat!!" should realize that (a) that stuff will probably be in the game because it's still the same people making the game as SR3/4, and (b) their favorite cartoon character is GIR from invader zim probably

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'd trade the dildo bat a thousand times over for the cane to return.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Srice posted:

If something exists, someone on the internet is mad about it. And if something doesn't exist there's probably someone on the internet that's mad about that too.

It's such a rote observation at this point that you might as well be calling water wet.

People are mad as gently caress in the comments, holy poo poo. I didn't look at them at all when I first checked out the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfjH6lZrTas

Weird to have everyone have the nuance to recognize that they're fun characters to shoot people as but not someone you'd actually want to hang out with, usually you have to pierce that hard shell of ignorance with a pickaxe to start getting that point across.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did people not play 3 and 4? This feels right in the spirit of those games (which had a radically different tone than 2).

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i have one complaint which is that my friend is right and that everyone in the advertising is skinny and beautiful when saints row is famous for having one of the most robust character creations in games for its time (and now?)......get wild with it guys...show off the good stuff

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

People are mad as gently caress in the comments, holy poo poo. I didn't look at them at all when I first checked out the video.

Saw at least a couple further down circlejerking about one of the developers in the video having the name Bernstein, for some mysterious reason I could only wonder. :hitler:

fun hater posted:

i have one complaint which is that my friend is right and that everyone in the advertising is skinny and beautiful when saints row is famous for having one of the most robust character creations in games for its time (and now?)......get wild with it guys...show off the good stuff

This is also true, gimme the crazy lookalikes and horrible monsters that creator's awesome for. Nioh 2 along with being a fun game has gotten a ton of praise for how much you can do with it's creator as well, people love that stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The promotional stuff shown for Saints Row has been bad. I rather see all this stuff in gameplay footage rather than be told by aging Gen Xers what they think are millennial power fantasies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fun hater posted:

Yeah, I looked at 3 and 4's trailers and it's pretty standard video game stuff. Oleg's in the 3rd one but everyone else is either 'standard female video game model' or 'Batman Arkham Asylum male peak male' I don't know where these memories of the trailers having the PC rapidly shifting through randomized character models came from.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I looked at 3 and 4's trailers and it's pretty standard video game stuff. Oleg's in the 3rd one but everyone else is either 'standard female video game model' or 'Batman Arkham Asylum male peak male' I don't know where these memories of the trailers having the PC rapidly shifting through randomized character models came from.

There's a quick montage in the Real Muthaphukkin Gs trailer for SR2, but that's it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I really don't get what you mean with twee, but I'd probably say SR4 would be more fitting of that from how I understand it.
Honestly I feel like the startup thing works because it's a contrast to how the old games played with corporate crime and business speech, going through Ultor in 2, the sellout Saints-Ultor in 3, up to the Saints as US goverment in 4. And it signals that you are back to being up and comers rather than being at the top like the last few games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
New saints row just looks generic honestly

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I feel like the later Saint's Row aesthetic really stood out when they first came out, seeing as a lot of their competiton was incredibly self-serious and drab; GTA IV being the standout example there. But it's been 7 years from the last mainline saints game, and the broader vibe of the industry has moved on and in a lot of ways hews closer to what they were doing back then, and so a lot of what made the series stand out is a lot less impressive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Did people not play 3 and 4? This feels right in the spirit of those games (which had a radically different tone than 2).

My first experience with the series was 3 and it felt like it got the balance right. 4 just went overboard and lost itself in the super power and simulation nonsense, and going back and playing 2, eh I liked it but it felt incomplete compared to 3. Really, the time for a fifth Saints Row game of any stripe was five years ago to capitalize on the possibilities that either the ending to 4 or Gat Outta Hell left for the series and Volition chose to do Agents of Mayhem instead, which... oof.

Right now I'm at "Eh, that's nice, I don't care" with the series, having lost interest in it a long while ago. Getting mad about it seems intensely dumb, but then again hospital ICUs across North America are currently packed triple-high with people literally dying mad because they couldn't bring themselves to do a simple thing most normal people thought was a no-brainer so what was I expecting.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Business wise Ithink it makes a lot sense to release it now because the only competing games in the modern open world crime genre is GTA5 which is 8 years old and Cyberpunk 2077 which is a mess. There has to be a pretty big untapped audience there, especially with Yakuza going full JRPG. If they are still up for it remains to be seen but their position is pretty strong, especially with an established brand and developer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

the people who were like "it needs to have stuff like the dildo bat!!" should realize that (a) that stuff will probably be in the game because it's still the same people making the game as SR3/4, and (b) their favorite cartoon character is GIR from invader zim probably

Jumping off from this, I feel like people have just...totally forgotten how dire some parts of SR3 are.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know where these memories of the trailers having the PC rapidly shifting through randomized character models came from.

i dont either. is that a thing people are claiming??

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Jumping off from this, I feel like people have just...totally forgotten how dire some parts of SR3 are.

Hey, anybody else remember the mission where you rescue human trafficking victims only to traffic them yourselves? And that was the good option.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Scorched Spitz posted:

Hey, anybody else remember the mission where you rescue human trafficking victims only to traffic them yourselves? And that was the good option.

Everything around Zimos was awful. The autotune voice box thing was funny but the character is just repulsive due to the stuff he had you do.

I'm really glad we didn't get the actual Enter the Dominatrix given the cut content that became an SR4 dlc.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

yeah the SR3 trailer was literally a AAA game trailer microcosm: use of Kayne's Power track, slick editing, trying to show off how badass and cool it is

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Everything around Zimos was awful. The autotune voice box thing was funny but the character is just repulsive due to the stuff he had you do.

I'm really glad we didn't get the actual Enter the Dominatrix given the cut content that became an SR4 dlc.

Yeah Zimos as a character aged incredibly poorly on top of the fact that it was bad look to begin with. Same with giving a major role in the game to Hulk Hogan. That was a bit of a blooper in hindsight.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

saints row 3 is in a really weird halfway position where its story is way goofier than 2 but it still kind of attempts to take itself seriously in a way that actively makes the rest of the game less fun

completely changing shaundi's appearance and personality to the point where she's genuinely unrecognizable as the same character is kinda funny in how baffling a change it is, but the writing doesn't even do anything with the concept until 4 (not to mention how they kill a main character offscreen in a way thats so anticlimactic i spent the rest of the game expecting him to come back, only to be confused when a mission started off with the characters screaming "how dare this gang crash his funeral" when no funeral was shown or mentioned beforehand lmao)

at least saints row 4 committing to going full zany bullshit let it do some fun stuff with the characters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
saints row 3 was a very, very bad game that mainly consisted of volition trying their best to work around the demands of their failing publisher. the cast was far worse, its wackiness was overstated and often cruel, it lacked any of the contrasting pathos SR2 had, and the gameplay was unremarkable and somehow even more repetitive than SR2's side-mission grinding

SR4 was basically a giant apology for 3 and would have ended the series on a high note if not for the wet raspberry that was Gat Out of Hell

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Saint's row 3 is way better than Saint Row 2 which felt like an ever so slightly more wacky Grand Theft Auto rip-off, but lacking the polish.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I was a pretty big fan of SR3 when it came out but looking back at it... oof. Plenty of jokes that didn't age well and others that I probably should have been side-eyeing even 10 years ago.

Charging through enemy goons to save your friends while Holding Out For A Hero blasts at full volume still holds up though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the part where 'power' plays is the only part in sr3 i remember fondly tbh

well oleg was fine too probably

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Acute Grill posted:

Charging through enemy goons to save your friends while Holding Out For A Hero blasts at full volume still holds up though.
ftfy

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Saints Row 4 just felt like a goofy, but wholesome game that didn't take itself seriously and was about being in one big family of cool people. (Plus the end credits of everyone singing "Just a friend" with Michael Clarke Duncan showing up at the end since he was going to reprise his role :smith:)

Rebooting was the right move because didn't the main creative lead with Volition leave after 4?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Saint's row 3 is way better than Saint Row 2 which felt like an ever so slightly more wacky Grand Theft Auto rip-off, but lacking the polish.

What in the goddamn...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah Zimos as a character aged incredibly poorly on top of the fact that it was bad look to begin with. Same with giving a major role in the game to Hulk Hogan. That was a bit of a blooper in hindsight.

getting hulk hogan to voice a luchador named Angel de la Muerte had to be a rib or a THQ decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Having replayed the remaster this past weekend with none of the baggage I had when I first got the game in 2011, nah. No way in hell is a sandbox game so short you can beat it in one sitting, has an incredibly simplified character customization compared to its predecessor, disguises side activities as story missions to pad out its already underbaked plot, makes certain diversions almost impossible to do if you waited until after the credits to do them and killed off one of its principal characters and derailed another in such an unsatisfying way, the next game had to work overtime to retcon it a better game.

I mean, at least cars handle better than they ever did in SR2, but they still weren't amazing. Even Watch_Dogs 2 had better driving cars and the cars drove like rear end in that game.