Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Month to month

Budget (phone/plan): phone, $800ish

Features I know I want: Privacy and longevity

Hi helpful thread, I'm back. I'm currently using an OG Pixel XL, and while it has worked fine since release, I'm trying to de-Google and be more mindful of my data footprint in general. I know there are Android ROMs that provide better privacy than the stock OS, but I would be more comfortable moving away from Google products altogether. To that end, I'm considering paying the Apple tax and switching to an iPhone (although if there's another option for improving privacy, I'd be very happy to hear it).

What would be the sweet spot for price and anticipated lifetime for an iPhone? I don't really play games, watch streams, or do anything particularly demanding on my phone. I mostly use it for messaging, email, and web browsing. I know that Apple engineers with obsolescence as an intended feature, and I believe I read something about RAM degrading prematurely in some of the models, but I tend to hold on to phones as long as possible and probably wouldn't upgrade for at least 5 years. Briefly looking at reviews, it seems like the 12 is a big step up from previous models (and is priced accordingly) and the 11 wasn't much of an improvement on the X. I can find an iPhone X on eBay for less than $300, but would it be realistic to expect it to last a while? Also, is privacy a reasonable expectation at this point, or am I going to have to go full luddite to keep my PII and browsing habits away from data brokers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Google Pixel 5A Launching Later This Month at $450 — Full Specs
Color: Mostly Black
Display: 6.4 inch, 60Hz – forced 90Hz
Processor: Snapdragon 765G
Battery: 4650MaH
Wireless charging: No
RAM: 6GB
We’ve been told that the device will use the same camera as the Pixel 5 from last year, be IP67 rated, and have a headphone jack.

As mentioned by Google themselves, the device is set to launch in only two markets — The United States, and Japan.

Smuggling across the border it is! :canada:

The battery seems pretty big compared to other phones, I'm guessing 5G really use a lot of power? Great for backcountry airplane mode at least.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 9, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Month to month

Budget (phone/plan): phone, $800ish

Features I know I want: Privacy and longevity

Hi helpful thread, I'm back. I'm currently using an OG Pixel XL, and while it has worked fine since release, I'm trying to de-Google and be more mindful of my data footprint in general. I know there are Android ROMs that provide better privacy than the stock OS, but I would be more comfortable moving away from Google products altogether. To that end, I'm considering paying the Apple tax and switching to an iPhone (although if there's another option for improving privacy, I'd be very happy to hear it).

What would be the sweet spot for price and anticipated lifetime for an iPhone? I don't really play games, watch streams, or do anything particularly demanding on my phone. I mostly use it for messaging, email, and web browsing. I know that Apple engineers with obsolescence as an intended feature, and I believe I read something about RAM degrading prematurely in some of the models, but I tend to hold on to phones as long as possible and probably wouldn't upgrade for at least 5 years. Briefly looking at reviews, it seems like the 12 is a big step up from previous models (and is priced accordingly) and the 11 wasn't much of an improvement on the X. I can find an iPhone X on eBay for less than $300, but would it be realistic to expect it to last a while? Also, is privacy a reasonable expectation at this point, or am I going to have to go full luddite to keep my PII and browsing habits away from data brokers?

An X is the same year as an iPhone 8, I wouldn’t do that. 11 is a huge jump from the X IMO.

If you need cheap, get the iPhone SE.

If not , I would just go with the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro (the pro has a better camera is the main reason to consider, if not just the 12).

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

An X is the same year as an iPhone 8, I wouldn’t do that. 11 is a huge jump from the X IMO.

If you need cheap, get the iPhone SE.

If not , I would just go with the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro (the pro has a better camera is the main reason to consider, if not just the 12).

Ohhhh, I thought it was 10 :saddumb:. The price makes way more sense. The 2020 SE looks fine for what I need, but I think the screen size is a dealbreaker. Didn't realize that mattered to me. Bummer. Hmm, I can get the 12 for about $750. That's definitely an option. I also don't need to purchase immediately. Do prices drop throughout the year, or is it only when the next model is released?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Ohhhh, I thought it was 10 :saddumb:. The price makes way more sense. The 2020 SE looks fine for what I need, but I think the screen size is a dealbreaker. Didn't realize that mattered to me. Bummer. Hmm, I can get the 12 for about $750. That's definitely an option. I also don't need to purchase immediately. Do prices drop throughout the year, or is it only when the next model is released?

Next model comes our between now and November. Historically September, but with Covid who knows what availability will be. Usually the old phone discounts $100 when the new one comes out.

Check carrier promos as well. T-Mobile May or may not offer an upgrade promo. Verizon will offer a free iPhone 11 when switching (obviously just depends on plan comparison). Etc.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FYI, Google Fi is offering $400 credit towards bill for Samsung Galaxy 3 Flip preorders. Samsung is offering $150 towards purchases in their mobile accessories store for the same preorder.

Drops a $999 phone to $449 if there's stuff you want to buy from the Samsung store. The phone is very up to date specs-wise, flagship even.

I'm looking forward to trying a foldable phone in that form factor, but I dunno if that's generally true.

Fi is also offering $325 on a trade-in for this Pixel 4XL they sold me for $450 almost 2 years ago, which is great for me as I'm not going to sell it on eBay or craigslist. May want to check the trade in value of your phone on their store if the above seems interesting.

$125 as upgrade cost to new flagship after 2 years is pretty good. I hope they offer just as much for this Flip 3 in a couple years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

USA/T-Mobile

$300-500

Headphone jack / large screen, 1080p

The charging port on my Nokia 7.1 has gone. I'm down to try to replace it but a. I've never opened a phone before and b. Google suggests replacements will develop the same issue. Looks like I'm looking at a 4a or 5a if the rumors of it launching today turn out to be true. Maybe a OnePlus device? I just use my phone for YouTube, posting, and GPS, though an overly crappy camera is undesirable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

USA/T-Mobile

$300-500

Headphone jack / large screen, 1080p

The charging port on my Nokia 7.1 has gone. I'm down to try to replace it but a. I've never opened a phone before and b. Google suggests replacements will develop the same issue. Looks like I'm looking at a 4a or 5a if the rumors of it launching today turn out to be true. Maybe a OnePlus device? I just use my phone for YouTube, posting, and GPS, though an overly crappy camera is undesirable.

If you can hold our, the 5a will likely be fine for what you want, or if you get a 4a find one discounted.

Not sure about the headphone Jack, but more often now they’re not likely to have it. Sucks, but they make adapters so I wouldn’t fret that much on it.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

If you can hold our, the 5a will likely be fine for what you want, or if you get a 4a find one discounted.

Not sure about the headphone Jack, but more often now they’re not likely to have it. Sucks, but they make adapters so I wouldn’t fret that much on it.

Headphone jack on 5a confirmed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrainParasite posted:

Headphone jack on 5a confirmed.

Lol yeah, my post did not age well.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Having the same guts the 5a looks unspectacular, though I guess it gets 1 more year of software support than the 4a will. The 4a is sold out everywhere locally though.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Sooo, I swam with my phone like an idiot. I had a Pixel 4XL and really enjoyed it. There wasn't a lot I didn't like (no fingerprint scanner, but meh).

My wife is on a Pixel 3, so we may include hers in the upgrade.

So first off, I got a replacement with a Samsung S21, and quite frankly, I hate it. I did a search and thought it would be easy to root, but of course, like every loving thing else, it's got stupid bullshit (Knox) that makes it a pain in the rear end, and if you do, it fucks up your warranty, you can't go back, etc etc.

Now, with the above, I see the 5a is coming out, I'm assuming that's gonna be the mid-range compliment to the Pixel 6/6 Pro. I have 30 days to get a replacement in and return this S21. So my options are basically:

- Shut the gently caress up and deal. The phone's got some OK features, but I really don't like the app drawer/whatever, I don't like Samsung apps, the battery blows... blah blah blah.
- Trade this in for another good rootable phone (Are there even any at this price range anymore?)
- Get a 5a, use it until the 6's come out, get the 6, and give the 5a to the wife.
- other option?

Anything I'm missing or whatnot?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I have the 4xl and bought the 4a for my dad. It's a great phone, the 4a, and other than some internal specs there's not much missing on it. Doesn't feel like a cheaper phone in any respect. If the 5a is anywhere near as good it could be a great replacement if you're looking for more Pixel.

Aside: The lack of a fingerprint scanner on the 4xl is the dumbest thing and I wish I'd waited on the 4a and the 5 to be out before I dropped my 2XL and was forced to upgrade.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Gothmog1065 posted:

Sooo, I swam with my phone like an idiot. I had a Pixel 4XL and really enjoyed it. There wasn't a lot I didn't like (no fingerprint scanner, but meh).

My wife is on a Pixel 3, so we may include hers in the upgrade.

So first off, I got a replacement with a Samsung S21, and quite frankly, I hate it. I did a search and thought it would be easy to root, but of course, like every loving thing else, it's got stupid bullshit (Knox) that makes it a pain in the rear end, and if you do, it fucks up your warranty, you can't go back, etc etc.

Now, with the above, I see the 5a is coming out, I'm assuming that's gonna be the mid-range compliment to the Pixel 6/6 Pro. I have 30 days to get a replacement in and return this S21. So my options are basically:

- Shut the gently caress up and deal. The phone's got some OK features, but I really don't like the app drawer/whatever, I don't like Samsung apps, the battery blows... blah blah blah.
- Trade this in for another good rootable phone (Are there even any at this price range anymore?)
- Get a 5a, use it until the 6's come out, get the 6, and give the 5a to the wife.
- other option?

Anything I'm missing or whatnot?

I just want to say that your post is like exactly what just happened to me this weekend down to my phone, my wife's phone and me swimming with it. Only difference is I just went with the 5a as I had an old pixel 2 I can run with for a bit.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Country/Provider: USA / Google Fi
Current contract status: Monthly

Budget (phone/plan): Unknown

Features I know I want: iPhone, 5G, and especially WiFi calling because my reception in my basement apartment sucks.

I like Google Fi enough, but I've been debating switching from Android to iPhone, and Fi's iPhone support isn't great. Are there services that support the same carrier switching as Fi? I thought I saw goons recommending Cricket, or maybe it was Mint?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cricket is now wholly owned by AT&T, Mint is a T-Mobile MVNO, so neither will go outside their respective networks AFAIK. Ting does do some network switching. I'll let others do the recommendation part but you asked about ones that do network switching.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's been six years since I've been on a major carrier (Verizon), so have they improved a lot since then and I'm over-worrying about network switching? There's been scattered times where I've had service on Google Fi and someone on AT&T, T-Mobile, or something else hasn't, but it's been rare.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

It's been six years since I've been on a major carrier (Verizon), so have they improved a lot since then and I'm over-worrying about network switching? There's been scattered times where I've had service on Google Fi and someone on AT&T, T-Mobile, or something else hasn't, but it's been rare.

They only time I've lost service in like the last decade (T-Mobile) was in a cabin in the woods off a freeway. Maybe if you live in like, rural Iowa.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

What improvement are you talking about ? Coverage wise Verizon is fine, and as the above lost notes, T-Mobile has gotten better for sure.

If you mean pricing and/or customer service, Verizon has gotten way better at both, although I wouldn’t say Verizon is the same price as say, cricket or Ting, etc.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I think some verizon mvnos don't allow you to fall back or roam onto partners, like visible afaik is verizon-only LTE-only, no 3g

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

I think some verizon mvnos don't allow you to fall back or roam onto partners, like visible afaik is verizon-only LTE-only, no 3g

3G is dead as of end of the year at best, but that said there is likely no roaming on other carriers either, so you are correct.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
There virtually no difference between the 4a 5g and the 5a 5g. Basically the 5a 5g is cheaper with a bigger battery. It makes no sense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

There virtually no difference between the 4a 5g and the 5a 5g. Basically the 5a 5g is cheaper with a bigger battery. It makes no sense.

It’s still cheaper than the high end phones. That’s the pitch , in my opinion.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ordered a 4a (not 5g) yesterday, but after handling an iphone 6 today, which is the same sizes as the SE, I think I could get used to the smaller screen, even if im not thrilled about it / having to use a headphones adapter. Am I wrong in thinking that the iphone SE presents a markedly better hardware package (and software support) than anything android has at the price point?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Ordered a 4a (not 5g) yesterday, but after handling an iphone 6 today, which is the same sizes as the SE, I think I could get used to the smaller screen, even if im not thrilled about it / having to use a headphones adapter. Am I wrong in thinking that the iphone SE presents a markedly better hardware package (and software support) than anything android has at the price point?

The SE is a great value when it comes to iPhone with a good processor and apple actually is pretty good about keeping up software updates to old devices so it should have a long life, although probably getting slower and slower with each new ios version.

My experience following the Android thread (I stopped a long time ago now though) is that Pixels get monthly updates but it seemed like they were always getting new bugs in each one. Maybe that's better now? Otherwise I'd rather have the pixel I think.

Edit: I'd wait for the thread pros to reply though.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 19, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Charles posted:

The SE is a great value when it comes to iPhone with a good processor and apple actually is pretty good about keeping up software updates to old devices so it should have a long life, although probably getting slower and slower with each new ios version.
The current SE uses the 2019 SoC from the iPhone 11 line. It's not getting slow at all - it's literally faster than this year's flagship Androids, never mind a budget one like the 5a. And, as you've noted, will be getting software updates for a minimum of three more years, and I expect that will be the low end estimate. Its biggest negative is its single camera, rather than even a dual camera setup like the higher-end iPhones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Outrail posted:

They refreshed it a year after release, added some (battery, water proofing), and dropped the price. What doesn't make sense?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Not so much a phone recommendation request, but a case one.

Bought a pixel 5a for the wife and I to replace our old pixels. It's the first time i have ever bought a cell phone on launch. Now I am trying to buy a case+screen cover, and since the phone is new is not like I can rely on reviews. What are some companies that produce decent cases for pixels that I can trust to have a decent case/screen protector at launch?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Not so much a phone recommendation request, but a case one.

Bought a pixel 5a for the wife and I to replace our old pixels. It's the first time i have ever bought a cell phone on launch. Now I am trying to buy a case+screen cover, and since the phone is new is not like I can rely on reviews. What are some companies that produce decent cases for pixels that I can trust to have a decent case/screen protector at launch?

I bought a Spigen 5a/5G case that had a pre-order/ship within 30 days when stock available note, but I paid for the case on Wednesday and it's arriving at my house today.

https://www.spigen.com/collections/pixel-5a

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

After months of searching I'm really stuck trying to find a new phone for me.

I've had a Huawei P30 since April 2019. Best phone I've ever owned, particuarly the battery life and camera. The battery is now fading, NFC has died and I've got a few issues with the screen, when combined it just makes more sense to just get a new phone rather than replace those parts.

I'm looking for:
- Slightly bigger screen, but not too much: 6.4" feels like my limit
- Good battery life
- Camera with telephoto lens. I love the P30 zoom.

One issue is that I live in Australia. This rules out OnePlus, Pixel 5a. If phones aren't released locally then it's a pain to get things like 5G and VoLTE working. The Chinese brands without Google services are also out. I would love to get a new Huawei but it'll just be too much pain.

This leaves me with:

-Samsung Galaxy 21?
-Wait for S21 FE?
-Wait for Pixel 6 - no telephoto lens though?
-Move to iPhone when the 13 is released?

I've considered even finding stock of a P30 Pro as my P30 experience has been so good for the last few years.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Country/Provider: US

Current contract status: Straight Talk

Budget: $150, but cheaper is better

My Samsung S6 has been working extremely well for the past 5 years, but the battery has begun to expand and that seems like a good sign I should find a replacement. The only programs I use with any regularity on my phone are the messenger app, Discord, the mp3 player, the camera, and the bluetooth connection. I don't need this next phone to be any better than that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Country: US, a friend is travelling in October. No provider, would need the phone to be unlocked since I'll be using it abroad. If I can just get it from Amazon or BH all the better since I can just have it shipped to my friend.

Budget: $200-250?

Phone is for my mum, she currently has a Huawei Mate SE but the battery bloated and had to be replaced, so she's now complaining it 'drains too fast'. It doesn't, she just uses it a fuckload. She just wants a new phone, so might as well get her one.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
County/Provider: US Verizon

Budget: $750

Features: Good battery life and support for at least 4 years

My Droid Turbo is showing its age and I was thinking about getting a Pixel 5a. Is that a good choice?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SilverFire posted:

County/Provider: US Verizon

Budget: $750

Features: Good battery life and support for at least 4 years

My Droid Turbo is showing its age and I was thinking about getting a Pixel 5a. Is that a good choice?

No Android phone as official support for 4 years (pixel should be 3, someone correct me if I’m wrong).

Ars Technica always has the better reviews , but they take longer to show up. Here’s the 5a review.

https://www.theverge.com/22628205/google-pixel-5a-review-price-screen-battery-specs

I don’t think they have a review of the pixel 6, but here’s a preview.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/2/22605094/google-pixel-6-pro-tensor-processor-specs-ai-ml

Both are fine, if you don’t need the bells and whistles get the 5a. Not sure when it is in official pre order.

If you’re sticking with Verizon and need help pre ordering the phone, or would like a referral link, feel free to PM me.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
No hope of returning to older phones with 3G networks? Been nostalgic for my old phones. The idea of having a lovely phone that does just the essentials appeals to my inner minimalist.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zaepg posted:

No hope of returning to older phones with 3G networks? Been nostalgic for my old phones. The idea of having a lovely phone that does just the essentials appeals to my inner minimalist.

3G is dead, but There are still minimalistic phones.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-8110-4g

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't see that one on AT&T's list, they are going to a strict whitelist model for activating devices. I know Tmobile is good about unlocked devices, what is Verizon like?

Edit: I must be looking in the wrong place as they apparently sell an AT&T locked version of that phone so it's gotta be on their list.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Charles posted:

I don't see that one on AT&T's list, they are going to a strict whitelist model for activating devices. I know Tmobile is good about unlocked devices, what is Verizon like?

Edit: I must be looking in the wrong place as they apparently sell an AT&T locked version of that phone so it's gotta be on their list.

My wife's Pixel 5 is directly from Google unlocked and there was no issue with Verizon.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Duckman2008 posted:

3G is dead, but There are still minimalistic phones.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-8110-4g

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

Verizon has a list of compatible phone models, and that’s what they will say works. There can be phones that aren’t on the list that you could pop in a SIM and it works, but they won’t guarantee it.