Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Civvie was tweeting about this Zoom Platform thing and Alien Trilogy is on it? Can't buy it right now though https://www.zoom-platform.com/product/alien-trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Man quake online is loving great. I didn't realize how much I missed this. Are there private/dedicated servers or is everything p2p?

Nothing is P2P in Quake (well except the voice chat, if you're on PC and have direct connections enabled), the engine itself is quite incompatible with the concept as there is no such thing as an solo simulation. Even in singleplayer you are still running both the server and the client.
What hosts the server however changes depending on what you're doing. If you are playing custom games, the lobby owner is hosting. However if you're doing matchmaking, dedicated servers are used on Azure cloud.

I want to move custom games over to dedicated cloud instances but I'm not quite sure how to do that currently. Matchmaking is easy because I can make spinning up a dedicated server part of the matchmaking rules, and the ticket gives the players an ip address and port to connect to. There's no such mechanism for a custom game however, which involved me making my own session sharing backend entirely from the ground up (the same one I built for Turok2, fun fact).

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 1, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zeether posted:

Civvie was tweeting about this Zoom Platform thing and Alien Trilogy is on it? Can't buy it right now though https://www.zoom-platform.com/product/alien-trilogy

It's weird, Zoom feels like it's sketch as gently caress to me, but is apparently legit? I mean, I checked to see what FPSs they had, and they have Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 and Aliens vs Predator Gold Edition? And they have Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition unlike, you know, anywhere else? They feel like a company that negotiated a few extremely advantageous contracts and were then completely forgotten about during some corporate shuffle or something and have just been quietly doing their thing without the big guys noticing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zeether posted:

Apparently it's because Zoom pushes hard for getting perpetual rights for anything they sell

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Finally got Dusk and beat it the other day. God, this game was fantastic. Kinda kicking myself for not getting it sooner, because it's just been fantastic. Episode 1 was really good and solid, but fairly normal. Then once I got to Episode 2, everything started getting better and better, with some really drat good levels. E2M5 and E2M6 both stick out in my mind in particular. And then the game actually extremely pulls off some amazing atmosphere with drat good level design and incredible sound design and music.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

catlord posted:

It's weird, Zoom feels like it's sketch as gently caress to me, but is apparently legit? I mean, I checked to see what FPSs they had, and they have Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 and Aliens vs Predator Gold Edition? And they have Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition unlike, you know, anywhere else? They feel like a company that negotiated a few extremely advantageous contracts and were then completely forgotten about during some corporate shuffle or something and have just been quietly doing their thing without the big guys noticing.
Bernie Stolar is their exec guy which blew my goddamn mind.

I'm still unsure if they're legit.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I paid 10 for Quake so I can play it on my Switch Lite and have two new campaigns. Performance with most everything on except for AA is ok with obvious slowdowns here and there.

And I have OG Quake on my Id Anthology box set plus both expansions. It was worth it both for super ease of use and the new campaigns. Plus being able to easily Quake while poopin? Amusing! (Id A box Quake needs to be installed via Dos or 9x Windows that can sort of dos just to even get the drat files to use in sourceports. Its that old of a version.)

Now Quake isn't better than Doom 1-2 because its slower and way less critters to fight and guns to use. Plus heavily brown. But its still one of my go tos for fps. (Also Doom 2, Heretic, AvP2, and Alien Trilogy.) Sadly the best way to Quake was the Tenebrae engine but it needs xp or 98 to run yet demands modern cpus and gpus to get a satisfactory framerate. Even more if you want to also pop in higher res textures. But drat does it become the scariest feeling fps that's not Condemned. (And no Darkplaces isn't remotely the spooky terror Tenebrae does. It merely works on modern oses is all.)

I'm pretty happy with Bethesda adding in new mission packs to their Id rereleases. The new ones that were on the Doom3 BFG were pretty great too if you want rad tough yet fun Doom1-2 extra times.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Captain Rufus posted:

Id A box Quake needs to be installed via Dos or 9x Windows that can sort of dos just to even get the drat files to use in sourceports. Its that old of a version.
If you mean it uses the old DEICE.EXE installer you can actually concatenate the resource files together and then extract them with Lhasa or 7-Zip. Helpful tip for the one time every decade you have to go back and do it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Captain Rufus posted:

I paid 10 for Quake so I can play it on my Switch Lite and have two new campaigns. Performance with most everything on except for AA is ok with obvious slowdowns here and there.

The switch version actually has most of the graphical options that the PC version has, so you can turn off dynamic shadows and whatever else you feel like you won't miss in order to improve the framerate. You can also switch to "low resolution" mode, which makes the pixels extra chunky and basically looks like a 1996 mode or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What settings do you all prefer on this new port? I have everything on except texture smoothing and ambient occlusion.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I've got motion blur, antialiasing, and texture smoothing off. Normally I go with the chunkier low res option in games like this when it's offered (Amid Evil/Dusk) but I opted for full res on this. A medium option would have been nice.

I noticed a lot of people don't seem to like ambient occlusion, any particular reason? I just find that It adds an extra dimension to the lighting, fills in shadows where you'd expect them to be, like in corners or around small objects, etc.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Everything enabled except texture smoothies. Just the right amount of makeup on this remaster in my opinion.

I also gave it a whirl on Dosbox the other day and yep, Quake still looks fine on the good old chunky resolution of 320x240. I just enjoy that nice mid-90s MS-DOS 3D game look I guess.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stockwell posted:

I noticed a lot of people don't seem to like ambient occlusion, any particular reason? I just find that It adds an extra dimension to the lighting, fills in shadows where you'd expect them to be, like in corners or around small objects, etc.

I don't mind it, I just turned it off on Switch since it seems to run better with it off.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ah, missed that you're on the Switch, yeah that's it's one downside is it can be a bit resource intensive for a relatively small benefit.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

XavierGenisi posted:

Finally got Dusk and beat it the other day. God, this game was fantastic. Kinda kicking myself for not getting it sooner, because it's just been fantastic. Episode 1 was really good and solid, but fairly normal. Then once I got to Episode 2, everything started getting better and better, with some really drat good levels. E2M5 and E2M6 both stick out in my mind in particular. And then the game actually extremely pulls off some amazing atmosphere with drat good level design and incredible sound design and music.

I thought the same, ep1 and the start of 2 was a solid quake-like with some neat atmosphere, but it really turned into something special at that point you mentioned, I'm glad I didn't watch Civvie's videos about it back when he did those so I wasn't spoiled for any of it.

I just started going through it again to get all the secrets and it turns out I missed two of the secret levels, so that'll be neat. This time around I enabled the retro-palette option and I highly recommend it next time you play, combined with 2 or 3x pixelization and it really adds to the atmosphere.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I did some Quake co-op today and the Machinegames episodes were fun until it got to the part with the moving walls and ceiling crushers, followed by a moving platform segment over lava

Who the gently caress decided that was a good idea

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Rocket Pan posted:

Nothing is P2P in Quake (well except the voice chat, if you're on PC and have direct connections enabled), the engine itself is quite incompatible with the concept as there is no such thing as an solo simulation. Even in singleplayer you are still running both the server and the client.
What hosts the server however changes depending on what you're doing. If you are playing custom games, the lobby owner is hosting. However if you're doing matchmaking, dedicated servers are used on Azure cloud.

I want to move custom games over to dedicated cloud instances but I'm not quite sure how to do that currently. Matchmaking is easy because I can make spinning up a dedicated server part of the matchmaking rules, and the ticket gives the players an ip address and port to connect to. There's no such mechanism for a custom game however, which involved me making my own session sharing backend entirely from the ground up (the same one I built for Turok2, fun fact).

Oh poo poo that's cool info. Thanks duder. I take it you work for night dive?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I take it you work for night dive?

Yes. I do the multiplayer stuff.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Can you get them to fix how pickups work in co-op? They only respawn in the Machinegames maps and it's kind of frustrating if your partner(s) decide to hog all the health while you get zapped by shamblers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Boss of Dissolution of Eternity is absolutely egregious and also bears no relationship to the previous bosses it made you fight what a mess

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Stockwell posted:

I've got motion blur, antialiasing, and texture smoothing off. Normally I go with the chunkier low res option in games like this when it's offered (Amid Evil/Dusk) but I opted for full res on this. A medium option would have been nice.

AO looks great in modern games (I'm thinking stuff like the newer Hitmans and Red Dead Redemption 2), but looks off to me when used in older games.

The AA in this feels like it smooths stuff out a bit too much too, so I've got that turned off. Most everything else turned on apart from texture filtering and motion blur. I really like the new lighting and fogging effects.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Vile Stuff posted:

AO looks great in modern games

I'd like to put a little asterisk on that; it looks great because games are made with the explicit assumption that it's enabled at all times. Lots of older techniques for shadowing and smoothing transitions have been abandoned in favor of "AO will cover it up". Really serious offenders of this are usually facial hair on NPCs, where instead of a texture transition its now just two different coloured polygons with AO shadows covering up the seam, or dark spots in rooms that have furniture. Unlike previous 'must-have' techs that became standard, AO still has a huge performance impact yet turning it off will make many games look like rear end.

This might not be the thread for it, but it still grinds my gears what I have to do to make newer titles playable + pretty.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have a question, why was Unreal Tournament 3 so hated?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ugly, is a big part of it, but I actually thought it was a lot of fun, especially after that one last, huge update they did.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah once the Black Edition update hit it was pretty fun, but the first set of maps were fugly

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

Shadow Hog posted:

Quake 2 lost, at the very least, John Romero and Sandy Petersen

Ah, no wonder Quake 2 felt like a fun video game and not a torture box

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
UT3 looks like a game made by Fred Durst

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
ut3 was slow and heavy and brown and they got rid of assault mode :argh: I also don't remember it adding anything memorable to the formula like bombing run or vehicles and the custom map support was DOA

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I remember UT3 being pretty much the same UT2003/4 I’d been playing for years at that point, except it had the same lovely UE3 aesthetic as Gears of War.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
hey now they added the Darkwalker!!

yeah...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i remember ut3 being more brown than quake 1

it had back to the future hoverboards though

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Playing Quake has got me in the mood to play classic Doom - and I picked up the modern Bethesda ports on my PS4.

Without digging through Cacowards, is the selection of "Official" add-ons pretty solid? I've somehow never played the Final Doom level sets or Master Levels - or pretty much anything else listed.
Of the two Final Doom sets, Plutonia is famously beloved by the community. Just be warned that it's quite a big jump in difficulty compared to the Id levels! Some people like TNT while other people think it's pretty boring. I don't have a lot of experience with the Master Levels beyond the first level, Attack, which I use a lot for testing mod stuff.

All the other, fan-made addons are very solid and well worth a play. I don't think there are any real duds among them, and they give a good cross-section of the awesome work the community regularly spits out. The two BTSX episodes are probably the peak, featuring good-to-great level design, entirely custom textures and an all new soundtrack.

Barudak posted:

Final Boss of Dissolution of Eternity is absolutely egregious and also bears no relationship to the previous bosses it made you fight what a mess
That boss is mostly just a bit of fan-service - a similar creature was seen in early pre-release screenshots of the original Quake, but ended up being cut from the final version due to Id's self-imposed level polygon count limits meaning it wouldn't have a large enough area to play in. Hence the description for that boss in the expansion's manual: "A Surprising End Game Boss: Everyone's been screaming for this enemy. He'll have you screaming too!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fuckin' look at it.

Phetz posted:

I remember UT3 being pretty much the same UT2003/4 I’d been playing for years at that point, except it had the same lovely UE3 aesthetic as Gears of War.
Hell, at least one of UT3's maps (WAR-Downtown) was taken straight from a cancelled level from the console release of Gears 1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UT3 was a combo for me of being astoundingly ugly, removing Assault AKA the only mode I played in UT2k3/2k4 and absolutely destroying my computer. It just wasn't worth it on any front for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doom Zero is the only really below par map set in the official addons. If it wasn’t for the dehacked poo poo or the gimmick ending connecting it to Doom 2016 it would be completely unnoticeable. For that reason if you’re going to play all of them I would honestly start with it because it’ll feel more interesting and fresher if you haven’t had a lot of experience.

Also, No End In Sight is great but is missing one of its best levels (the original E4M6) due to incompatibilities with the Unity engine. I’d still play it on the Unity port if that was your preferred/only way to access it for sure.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SeANMcBAY posted:

Phetz posted:

FROM THE STUDIO THAT BROUGHT YOU GEARS OF WAR

"They took everything from me... my home... my friends... when the Necris invaded...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFtJBOyvZF4

By the time they created the Titan Pack and the Black Edition it was too late to course correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZqR5zGyBMQ

The Kins posted:

Fuckin' look at it.

UT3 was the big title where it became abundantly clear that the whole UE3 aesthetic of MORE DETAIL, INFINITE DETAIL, BEAUTIFUL RUINED DESTRUCTION was just not compatible with the colorful, easy to read quasi-sports game that UT should be. Target identification and acquisition was so difficult they had to literally make player models glow their team color at distance. And now it's a problem every FPS is running into.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/atud3f/it_is_extremely_hard_for_me_to_see_enemies/

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackopscoldwar/comments/iwgtb3/anyone_else_really_struggles_seeing_enemies_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CODWarzone/comments/fqozj1/enemies_hard_to_spot/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/9y52je/is_it_just_me_or_are_enemies_hard_to_see_bfv/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm genuinely kind of bummed the last hold out of brightly colored ally and enemy FPS games Halo is doing away with that in infinite.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The United States posted:

FROM THE STUDIO THAT BROUGHT YOU GEARS OF WAR

"They took everything from me... my home... my friends... when the Necris invaded...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFtJBOyvZF4

By the time they created the Titan Pack and the Black Edition it was too late to course correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZqR5zGyBMQ

UT3 was the big title where it became abundantly clear that the whole UE3 aesthetic of MORE DETAIL, INFINITE DETAIL, BEAUTIFUL RUINED DESTRUCTION was just not compatible with the colorful, easy to read quasi-sports game that UT should be. Target identification and acquisition was so difficult they had to literally make player models glow their team color at distance. And now it's a problem every FPS is running into.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/atud3f/it_is_extremely_hard_for_me_to_see_enemies/

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackopscoldwar/comments/iwgtb3/anyone_else_really_struggles_seeing_enemies_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CODWarzone/comments/fqozj1/enemies_hard_to_spot/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/9y52je/is_it_just_me_or_are_enemies_hard_to_see_bfv/

Yeah even relatively colorful modern shooters like Borderlands 2 have this issue(though it's not helped by that franchise having really weird ideas regarding weapon accuracy as part of it's whole "Looter Shooter" concept of randomized guns)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah even relatively colorful modern shooters like Borderlands 2 have this issue(though it's not helped by that franchise having really weird ideas regarding weapon accuracy as part of it's whole "Looter Shooter" concept of randomized guns)

I think Temporal Anti Aliasing is a big part of this, along with overall higher poly counts. I tend to find that games with lots of environmental detail tend to smudge things together when they are at mid to long distance which makes it harder to process visually. Dirt Rally 2 is a good example of this, unless you play around with the settings the default visual look is "short-sighted driver simulator".

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

UT3 looks like a game made by Fred Durst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
screenshots from UT3 were the very last time i couldn't believe how good a game looked, i remember PCZone had a few renders of the weapons and characters on their cover.