Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that when you turn various kinds of deathmatch into an event that just happens every October or December or whenever, it necessarily waters it down. Like, the Elimination Chamber makes sense as a concept because there's something for 6 guys to fight over, but why are two guys having a ladder match just because this is the month when we do that? Don't reverse-engineer the grudge to suit the grudge match in such a contrived way, is my opinion.

I was going to say War Games worked okay as a mostly yearly thing but then I remembered how the later ones went and decided to not say that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think it can work if you keep factions as a going concern. Like I think the reason Survivor Series is nowhere near as important within its own PPV as it used to be is because WWF/E doesn't really create a lot of teams organically so they usually have nothing more than Raw v. Smackdown which who cares.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
War Games also had lower fan expectations. Like yeah, it was gonna be violent, but that doesn't quite compare to UT taking years off of Mick's life

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah i mean for better or for worse NXT Wargames was basically always The Undisputed Era vs Whoever Hates Them Currently which works as an idea if not always in execution. I'd have loved to see The Hurt Business do a Wargames but unfortunately it probably would have been against Retribution lol

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, if a wargames match is just "your top heel quartet crew vs. various babyfaces" is that not respecting the traditions of the war james?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
oh man, I can't believe war games is another horsemen match.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that when you turn various kinds of deathmatch into an event that just happens every October or December or whenever, it necessarily waters it down. Like, the Elimination Chamber makes sense as a concept because there's something for 6 guys to fight over, but why are two guys having a ladder match just because this is the month when we do that? Don't reverse-engineer the grudge to suit the grudge match in such a contrived way, is my opinion.

It's like the Hell In A Cell match. The HIAC and WarGames matches should be reserved for conflicts that are at the point where there is, in kayfabe, no other option for resolution other than a match that takes years off of a career. Like "oh gently caress, it's gotten to this point, has it?"

Putting the EC as an annual thing in February always made sense to me, as A) the last hurdle for one of the world title holders to overcome going into Mania and B) a last chance for a top contender to get a chance to have a title match at Mania.

Dawgstar posted:

I was going to say War Games worked okay as a mostly yearly thing but then I remembered how the later ones went and decided to not say that thing.

Even the earlier ones that are quite fondly remembered were exposed a bit when that WarGames DVD was put out, and you got to watch them all one after another. The matches themselves are fine, but when they're basically the exact same match over and over again, it diminishes the concept a fair bit, IMO.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

Putting the EC as an annual thing in February always made sense to me, as A) the last hurdle for one of the world title holders to overcome going into Mania and B) a last chance for a top contender to get a chance to have a title match at Mania.

agree with this.

The big gently caress off complicated gimmick match is easily readable as Royal Rumble II, way more so than it being War Games II.

edogawa rando posted:

Even the earlier ones that are quite fondly remembered were exposed a bit when that WarGames DVD was put out, and you got to watch them all one after another. The matches themselves are fine, but when they're basically the exact same match over and over again, it diminishes the concept a fair bit, IMO.

disagree with this.

the matches being the same is fine, because only weirdos are watching the match back-to-back-to-back enough to care that they are the same every time. If a formula is cool and works, doing something different is bad.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
is trevor murdoch seriously the nwa world champion

lololololol

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, better him than Nick Aldis.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

karmicknight posted:

I mean, better him than Nick Aldis.

like, as people? did aldis get metooed? as wrestlers... ehhh

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

El Generico posted:

like, as people? did aldis get metooed? as wrestlers... ehhh

trevor is a much better wrestler than aldis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't Aldis paired with Doug fuckin' Williams in TNA and the Anarchist only managed to drag him to 'acceptable' in a tag team?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't Aldis paired with Doug fuckin' Williams in TNA and the Anarchist only managed to drag him to 'acceptable' in a tag team?

Doug Williams, Nick Aldis (as BRUTUS MAGNUS or later just Magnus) and Rob Terry were The British Invasion

Aldis' original gimmick was being like, a Roman gladiator for some reason, presumably because Russo rewatched Gladiator at some point in the recent past and was struck with inspiration

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Wasn't it because Russo knew he was doing the UK Gladiators revival.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
was there a TNA live thread when Steiner cut his maths promo?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Wasn't it because Russo knew he was doing the UK Gladiators revival.

that would make a lot of sense, yeah

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

karmicknight posted:

agree with this.

The big gently caress off complicated gimmick match is easily readable as Royal Rumble II, way more so than it being War Games II.

yeah, and like a focused Rumble, a number one contender's tournament inside of one match, something like that. the six-man match format also lets somebody on the periphery of the main event scene scrape in -- remember the year where they Pushed Cesaro and he knocked the loving house down in the Elimination Chamber? Good times.

the best-bad thing about Hell in a Cell is seeing one of the tables gimmicked up with a huge balloon to take the Inevitable Bump Off the Cell.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Seams posted:

was there a TNA live thread when Steiner cut his maths promo?
you bet and subsequent TNA discussion thread, go back a page for bonus TERRORDOME

e:

Saints Crow posted:

Aww, it's sad that that horrible one is fake, because now I feel like a fool for trying to outdo it with this.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 1, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

No, you're just eating chocolate chip cookie ice cream for like an entire week for your only meal when you do that. Doesn't make it bad.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

It's like the Hell In A Cell match. The HIAC and WarGames matches should be reserved for conflicts that are at the point where there is, in kayfabe, no other option for resolution other than a match that takes years off of a career. Like "oh gently caress, it's gotten to this point, has it?"

HIAC matches in the first ever official HIAC PPV:

- Undertaker squashing CM Punk because Punk refused to wear a suit backstage as champ or whatever
- Orton/Cena in what wasn't even the blowoff to the feud
- loving 2009 DX

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

harperdc posted:

yeah, and like a focused Rumble, a number one contender's tournament inside of one match, something like that. the six-man match format also lets somebody on the periphery of the main event scene scrape in -- remember the year where they Pushed Cesaro and he knocked the loving house down in the Elimination Chamber? Good times.

the best-bad thing about Hell in a Cell is seeing one of the tables gimmicked up with a huge balloon to take the Inevitable Bump Off the Cell.

Lukewarm take: the only reason the crash pads around the Hell In A Cell were bad was because WWE already made falling off the cell completely meaningless by that point. If it's a safety feature to let people do a cool stunt, then you laugh about it for five minutes and it's fine because you don't have to worry about someone's spine turning to dust when they land.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

D.N. Nation posted:

HIAC matches in the first ever official HIAC PPV:

- Undertaker squashing CM Punk because Punk refused to wear a suit backstage as champ or whatever
- Orton/Cena in what wasn't even the blowoff to the feud
- loving 2009 DX

It always blows my mind that "CM Punk vs Undertaker in HIAC for the World Heavyweight Championship" happened, and it was a 10-minute curtain jerk match lmao

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If you're going to have a regular recurring gimmick match, it needs to be one where the match is the story and has space for a bunch of people can be involved and do their own thing. Battle royals and multi man ladder matches work great for this because there can be competition to get in them, you can stagger the announcement of who is in the match, and there's room for surprises. They're the start of stories. A cell match or a cage match is a poor choice because they're the culmination or escalation of a feud, and come across as hokey if you're having that match just because it's that time of year.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this has been settled law for 15 years at minimum

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If they're not going to use it as the feud-ending stip and need to base a PPV around it, then the cell should be down for the entire card. Don't just make it an attraction, make everyone wrestle in it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At this point I don't know what they have to lose by just giving up all pretense of reality and having everyone wrestle in the Cell and the winner gets to eat the dust in The Undertaker's urn and gain the power to do the Tombstone Piledriver or whatever.

bartok
May 10, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

If they're not going to use it as the feud-ending stip and need to base a PPV around it, then the cell should be down for the entire card. Don't just make it an attraction, make everyone wrestle in it.

Worked for TNA. Supposedly Lockdown was consistently one of their most watched PPVs every year.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I want dumber theme ppvs. Make three feuds a year suddenly have to cram in an ambulance match for WWE Ambulance Armageddon

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

projecthalaxy posted:

I want dumber theme ppvs. Make three feuds a year suddenly have to cram in an ambulance match for WWE Ambulance Armageddon

The absolute last time NXT was good was last October when they did a pastiche of Halloween Havoc and whole heartedly leaned into the camp right down to Shotzi Blackheart cackling while saying SPIN THE WHEEL MAKE A DEAL

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

EDIT: wrong thread

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

At this point I don't know what they have to lose by just giving up all pretense of reality and having everyone wrestle in the Cell and the winner gets to eat the dust in The Undertaker's urn and gain the power to do the Tombstone Piledriver or whatever.

WWE going 100% Lucha Underground cinematic plot might actually make me watch it. They already ripped off the possessed doll from the Ricky Mundo angle, but it's dumb in WWE because nothing else in the fed is presented that way. I want the main event roster to all be vessels for dark gods, and midcarders to die and get repackaged and have their souls rescued through time travel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sticklefifer posted:

WWE going 100% Lucha Underground cinematic plot might actually make me watch it. They already ripped off the possessed doll from the Ricky Mundo angle, but it's dumb in WWE because nothing else in the fed is presented that way. I want the main event roster to all be vessels for dark gods, and midcarders to die and get repackaged and have their souls rescued through time travel.

Sadly I doubt anything would be as cool as Mil Muertes The Man of a Thousand Deaths sitting on his throne like he’s Shao Khan ever again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Sadly I doubt anything would be as cool as Mil Muertes The Man of a Thousand Deaths sitting on his throne like he’s Shao Khan ever again.

Mil Muertes being the coolest Shao Kahn pastiche in wrestling is just another humiliation for loser Hunter.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sticklefifer posted:

WWE going 100% Lucha Underground cinematic plot might actually make me watch it.

I agree, it'd be awesome if WWE lost a shitload of money and went out of business in 4 years

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched the Jumbo/Tenryu TC match in 1989/06/05 and loved it. Any further match recs for Jumbo or Tenryu?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lily Catts posted:

I watched the Jumbo/Tenryu TC match in 1989/06/05 and loved it. Any further match recs for Jumbo or Tenryu?

So, I'm a massive Kojima fan & would be remiss if I didn't recommend Tenryu vs Kojima for the Triple Crown, 17/7/02. Another of his All Japan return matches worth watching, 8/6/01 vs Keiji Mutoh, Mutoh's 4th ever match in AJPW. 11/9/96, Tenryu vs Nobuhiko Takada, if you enjoy shootstyle at all, well, enjoy. 11/2/06, Kensuke Sasaki & Kenta Kobashi vs Genichiro Tenryu & Katsuhiko Nakajima, Nakajima would be a month shy of his 18th birthday.

There's also a couple Tenryu vs Hashimoto matches worth watching, one from 93 in WAR & the other 98 NJPW. And as curiosities, Tenryu vs Macho Man Randy Savage is a fun match, & Tenryu was also an entrant in both the 1993 & 1994 Royal Rumbles, where he doesn't do much but it's funny as a novelty.

There's probably more '80s AJPW stuff that's well worth tracking down but I have not seen much of that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lily Catts posted:

Tsuruta-Misawa, June 1990, the match that made Misawa.

There's a couple Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi vs Tsuruta/Fuchi/Taue six-mans from the early 90s that were great but that singles match is the top-of-mind for "gently caress, Jumbo Tsuruta, man"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Who is RJ City? I always see stuff from him being retweeted but I never hear about him wrestling and google doesn’t help explain why he has such a high profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

comic wrestler guy mostly known for working with david arquette when he did his big indie wrestling comeback