Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hey, that looks like the floor of my apartment with how poo poo a job they did installing the laminate. Even got the color right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

At least it'll be easy to take up and redo.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

:effort:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sirotan posted:

this room... doesn’t have a center

what kind of non-euclidean hell room is this??

seriouspostin now, this is such a bizarre lie, like why not just admit you're awful at putting down flooring :cmon:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In the installer’s favor: the planks are all right side up! Be honest, y’all, that’s not always the case and we’ve seen it here.

Also the floor joists are probably still intact

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's not great but it's more noticable because he didn't stagger the boards.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

peanut posted:

It's not great but it's more noticable because he didn't stagger the boards.

No it's terrible. If he had staggered the boards properly he would also have been good enough by default to have them aligned right.

In other words it's bad and it's bad because they're not staggered for more reasons than the aesthetic.

The room doesn't have a center is a wonderful reason, I'm going to have to try that someday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

The room doesn't have a center is a wonderful reason, I'm going to have to try that someday.

This. What does that even MEAN?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m wondering if he’s trying to say the walls aren’t parallel? Which is still no excuse for any part of that installation, obviously.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I’m wondering if he’s trying to say the walls aren’t parallel? Which is still no excuse for any part of that installation, obviously.

Like someone who did THAT job can use a tape measure well enough to figure that kind of thing out.......

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lol I never said he would be correct in his statement. I mean, I would trust him to believe the walls aren’t parallel… 🤣

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Lol I never said he would be correct in his statement. I mean, I would trust him to believe the walls aren’t parallel… 🤣

Nobody can tell where tilespergo is gonna end up.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Motronic posted:

The feng shui was bad

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Motronic posted:

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to eyeball centerlines!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I saw that and my first thought was "hey he didn't ruin the boards, this is fine!"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's good to know that me the untrained idiot, would do a better job than a supposed expert.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still kinda surprises me how universal an experience it apparently is for contractors to just stop showing up halfway through the job, and everyone just apparently shrugs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I did a better job than that guy and it was the FIRST TIME in my life I ever put down a floor.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I did a better job than that guy and it was the FIRST TIME in my life I ever put down a floor.

As I learned somewhat recently, some people will go to great lengths not to heed instructions of any form. That contractor is one of those people.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sirotan posted:

/r/HomeImprovement: Is my contractor BSing me?

quote:

He mentioned that this room in particular is not even and that it doesn’t have a center and thats why there’s such big gaps.

Man, I hate doing home improvement projects in the House of Leaves.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still kinda surprises me how universal an experience it apparently is for contractors to just stop showing up halfway through the job, and everyone just apparently shrugs.

:mad:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Helping a client navigate that now - the guy got a giant barn to about 60%, then started coming one or two days a month for the past year. The client has finally reached out to me for help and I had the joy of mediating a meeting between them. It seemed like things were back on track but now he's ghosting again so it might be lawyer time.

The problem is a contractor's license is way too easy to get and people are always lured by the low bid no matter how many horror stories I tell them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

...?

I mean, if you're a contractor, then you should direct your anger at the other contractors, because this is literally the most common experience with contractors. Hell, the last contractor I dealt with showed up to do an estimate, then just ghosted me. Like, why spend 30 minutes at my house looking things over if you're just gonna bail? And this guy is highly reviewed on Yelp, the works. Two other contractors said "we don't have time for your job", which is fine, no problem, thanks for letting me know, but this guy knew what the job was supposed to be, showed up to estimate, said "I'll be in touch", and then simply wasn't.

I mean, I know why, the last year has been insane for contractors with everyone wanting to redo their homes while they're stuck in them, so I didn't blame the guy THAT much, but the stories don't change much even in bad times. A contractor actually finishing a job is pretty rare.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On the theory that paying them is what causes this problem Trump must have the most punctual and diligent of all contractors.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My neighbor was a GC for a while and said part of why he hung it up was how much he had to coddle subcontractors to get poo poo done, it’s loving absurd. I’m on roofer #2, a guy who expressly says he could do the job, but who can’t manage to call me back with an estimate.

Edit: call me a cynic but IMO ‘don’t have time’ is still kind of a joke. If you haven’t asked what my timeline is, you don’t know if you have time. Just say you aren’t interested.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 1, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the yeti posted:

My neighbor was a GC for a while and said part of why he hung it up was how much he had to coddle subcontractors to get poo poo done

That's literally 80% of a GCs job. It's a management position.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

90% is offer calculation, 80% is management, the rest is ???

e: Of course you will fail offer calculation 100% of the time if you don't/can't/won't do the management bit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

90% is offer calculation, 80% is management, the rest is ???

e: Of course you will fail offer calculation 100% of the time if you don't/can't/won't do the management bit.

Offer calculation is a management function. You barely need to know anything more of that last 20% ("doing things") other than to know if they're getting done right to be successful. You don't have to know how to do them, you just have to know what good work looks like.

You could also skew that percentage if you're the kind of GC that knows how to do poo poo and makes up for your subs, but that just sounds like a bad manager and the road to insanity and failure.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They do that. I guess we're all just used to 90% is good enough and we all think that's OK. Sometimes they even leave tools behind. They just disappear. Then the General calls up and asks if you've seen the sub contractors. You say "No". Then he comes by and takes the tools. He assures you that someone will be back but then he skips town. Then the sales guy that you spoke to calls you demanding commission and threatens to put a lien on your house. Ignore him. He disappears and you finish the work on your own.

Give me a coked out tweaker that takes cash only and has no licenses or insurance of any sort. They are always timely, do a good job, take their cash, and leave. I'm talking about roofers that don't even own a ladder so they use mine. Really shady guys. Somehow, they do excellent work and are proud of what they do.

I love me a good tweaker. I had a guy cut down a tree and limb another for me. He wanted $300, I said $250. He agreed but insisted cash so I was fine with that. He was dancing around like he needed another hit. His girlfriend was in the car with the engine running. He showed up on time. He did a great job. Did everything I asked including stacking the oak so I could use it for firewood. I gave him his cash and he skedaddled.

Reputable people are for chumps. Get a tweaker or any other weirdo. Any worker that needs to borrow my tools for the job he was hired for is good in my mind. They don't steal, they don't case the house, they just need the cash to buy more meth.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

the yeti posted:

My neighbor was a GC for a while and said part of why he hung it up was how much he had to coddle subcontractors to get poo poo done, it’s loving absurd. I’m on roofer #2, a guy who expressly says he could do the job, but who can’t manage to call me back with an estimate.

My bet is that your roof sucks to do in some manner, and the roofers are going to easier jobs. Is it a 12/12? Lots of ridges/valleys/dormers? High, up? Shingles? Tile? Metal? Shakes? Traditional Japanese thatch? Haunted? Geriatric naturalist neighbors?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mostlygray posted:

They do that. I guess we're all just used to 90% is good enough and we all think that's OK. Sometimes they even leave tools behind. They just disappear. Then the General calls up and asks if you've seen the sub contractors. You say "No". Then he comes by and takes the tools. He assures you that someone will be back but then he skips town. Then the sales guy that you spoke to calls you demanding commission and threatens to put a lien on your house. Ignore him. He disappears and you finish the work on your own.

Give me a coked out tweaker that takes cash only and has no licenses or insurance of any sort. They are always timely, do a good job, take their cash, and leave. I'm talking about roofers that don't even own a ladder so they use mine. Really shady guys. Somehow, they do excellent work and are proud of what they do.

I love me a good tweaker. I had a guy cut down a tree and limb another for me. He wanted $300, I said $250. He agreed but insisted cash so I was fine with that. He was dancing around like he needed another hit. His girlfriend was in the car with the engine running. He showed up on time. He did a great job. Did everything I asked including stacking the oak so I could use it for firewood. I gave him his cash and he skedaddled.

Reputable people are for chumps. Get a tweaker or any other weirdo. Any worker that needs to borrow my tools for the job he was hired for is good in my mind. They don't steal, they don't case the house, they just need the cash to buy more meth.

I've seen them out at Soco
They're pounding sixteen penny nails
The truckers on the interstate
Have been known to ride the rails
The sweat is beating on the brow
Can't keep these fellas down
'Cause those damned blue-collared tweekers
Are runnin' this here town

I knew a man who hung drywall
He hung it mighty quick
A trip or two to the blue room
Would help him do the trick
His foreman would pat him on the back
Whenever he would come around
'Cause these dammed blue-collar tweekers
Are beloved in this here town

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Motronic posted:

Every time you guys say GC I read it as General Counsel and wonder what kind of company has their lawyers doing drywall too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The single guy building my house, that I needed to survive the winter, that began three months before he did, just up and left one day.

Dareon posted:

At this point it all goes pear-shaped. Having volunteered to build this house especially for us on a rush schedule through the winter, the builder proceeded to demonstrate his complete ignorance of the definition of "volunteer" and complain that he wasn't getting paid. To us, and to the recovery group, who eventually decided to pay him. He proceeded to complain further about lack of pay, and the group just handed him some more money. He did not return to work.

At least the number of people who've shown up to work on the place and left without taking all their tools with them has left me with half of a decent toolshed.

Now I just need to build a decent toolshed.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Dareon posted:

Now I just need to build a decent toolshed.

Just hire a contractor to build one :ironicat:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

gwrtheyrn posted:

Just hire a contractor to build one :ironicat:

Look, if I spin the gatcha any more, I risk getting duplicate pulls. I don't want to sort through mitre boxes and c-clamps just on the offchance I get a nailgun I can use these nails with.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

On the theory that paying them is what causes this problem Trump must have the most punctual and diligent of all contractors.

Finishing jobs is normally not a problem in the commercial world. The only time I have seen a contractor not finish is because they went out of business.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Contractor chat reminded me of this shitshow:

My mom owns a small'ish log cabin in the middle of Bumfucknowhere, Finland. Built around 1972 or so, it was time to get new windows (with built-in mosquito nets) and a new front door installed to replace the original ones.

We asked a few companies for bids, and selected one that seemed reasonable. They sent Sales Guy to the cabin, who took a bunch of measurements and put in the order around 3/2021 or so. The work order stipulated that 1) everything is handled by the window company, including getting all the required material to the cabin, installing the stuff and taking out any garbage produced, including the old windows and doors and 2) all the work at the site will be completed over a single day before a specific date, the midsummer holiday (the Saturday between 20th and 26th of June).

A week before midsummer, we hadn't heard anything about the company and called them to figure out what was going on: the cabin is 500km from my mom's place and 550km from my place, so it's not the type of a thing where they just pop up at the place unannounced and expect us to get there in an hour or so. The Sales Guy doesn't know what is going on, but eventually does some digging and tells us that "we were completely blindsided by COVID, and thus our factory has been working slower than normal, so the door is not ready". He made some vague comments about the COVID slowdown being an Act of God in contract terms, which we were having none of: "COVID is a thing" couldn't have been a surprise for you over a year into this whole mess. You should have taken that into account when giving us the quote. They drop the whole Act of God argument.

It is agreed that they will send in two installers to install everything but the door on the Friday before midsummer (i.e. the last day within the original contract). Two outsourced Construction Dudes turn up on that day, having driven 400km themselves to get to the cabin, and immediately go "I see the windows are in that pile but where's all the timber needed for the casings?" Or whatever you call the piece of material that covers the gap between the window and the wall itself. Turns out the window company hadn't actually delivered any of the timber, or the sheet metal needed for the outside apron, or the mosquito nets these dudes were supposed to install. The Construction Dudes do what they are able, removing the old windows and installing the new ones.

So at this point the inside of the cabin is missing the wood-colored boards being installed in the first picture below, and the outsides are missing the dark brown/black sheet metal shown under the window in the second picture below (pictures from the installer's second visit) and mosquito nets:

Calling the Sales Guy, it is determined that a fuckup has indeed occurred and the Construction Dudes will install the missing stuff when they come back to install the door. Three weeks later, I'm spending my vacation at the cabin. Over the last week or so a bunch of deliveries have taken place, including the door, a few mosquito nets etc. My phone rings, and I hear the following: "Hey it's the Construction Dudes. We expect the Sales Guy probably hasn't called you, but they contracted us to come over tomorrow and complete the job." Thank gently caress I was there already, I suppose, as Sales Guy had not (and indeed never did) inform me of this second build day.

Come the next day, the Construction Dudes turn up, again having driven in from ~400km away, and install the door ("What the gently caress, if this door was like 0.5mm wider it wouldn't fit at all, who did these measurements"), do the boards for the windows ("What the gently caress, this timber is not of uniform thickness and there's only like 10 cm extra here, what were they thinking?") and add the sheet metal aprons etc. After about 7 hours, they come find me and tell me that there are two problems. First, one of the mosquito nets delivered is the wrong type and color. Two, Sales Guy has forgotten to order timber to cover a gap between the door and a window immediately next to the door on the outside wall. It looks ugly as gently caress but they literally have no material to cover it with. I thank them for doing the best they could, they shake my hand and say "Know what, Sales Guy can come and finish this himself" and drive into the sunset never to be seen again.

We send an email advising the Sales Guy of the problems, that the contract has not been fulfilled, and that we expect them to remedy the situation. We also remind them that their own contract includes a clause stating that we get a 1% discount of the total cost for each starting week of contract overruns. It's been something like two months and we've yet to either hear from Sales Guy nor have they sent a bill.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
We had some rotten window sills and things to be replaced. It was all done very well, the only notable thing is that the crew were four very dour, very professional Russian guys and one young Essex lad who was doing a great job learning construction, depression, and gentle Slavic profanity.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Loezi posted:

Contractor chat reminded me of this shitshow:

My mom owns a small'ish log cabin in the middle of Bumfucknowhere, Finland. Built around 1972 or so, it was time to get new windows (with built-in mosquito nets) and a new front door installed to replace the original ones.

We asked a few companies for bids, and selected one that seemed reasonable. They sent Sales Guy to the cabin, who took a bunch of measurements and put in the order around 3/2021 or so. The work order stipulated that 1) everything is handled by the window company, including getting all the required material to the cabin, installing the stuff and taking out any garbage produced, including the old windows and doors and 2) all the work at the site will be completed over a single day before a specific date, the midsummer holiday (the Saturday between 20th and 26th of June).

A week before midsummer, we hadn't heard anything about the company and called them to figure out what was going on: the cabin is 500km from my mom's place and 550km from my place, so it's not the type of a thing where they just pop up at the place unannounced and expect us to get there in an hour or so. The Sales Guy doesn't know what is going on, but eventually does some digging and tells us that "we were completely blindsided by COVID, and thus our factory has been working slower than normal, so the door is not ready". He made some vague comments about the COVID slowdown being an Act of God in contract terms, which we were having none of: "COVID is a thing" couldn't have been a surprise for you over a year into this whole mess. You should have taken that into account when giving us the quote. They drop the whole Act of God argument.

It is agreed that they will send in two installers to install everything but the door on the Friday before midsummer (i.e. the last day within the original contract). Two outsourced Construction Dudes turn up on that day, having driven 400km themselves to get to the cabin, and immediately go "I see the windows are in that pile but where's all the timber needed for the casings?" Or whatever you call the piece of material that covers the gap between the window and the wall itself. Turns out the window company hadn't actually delivered any of the timber, or the sheet metal needed for the outside apron, or the mosquito nets these dudes were supposed to install. The Construction Dudes do what they are able, removing the old windows and installing the new ones.

So at this point the inside of the cabin is missing the wood-colored boards being installed in the first picture below, and the outsides are missing the dark brown/black sheet metal shown under the window in the second picture below (pictures from the installer's second visit) and mosquito nets:

Calling the Sales Guy, it is determined that a fuckup has indeed occurred and the Construction Dudes will install the missing stuff when they come back to install the door. Three weeks later, I'm spending my vacation at the cabin. Over the last week or so a bunch of deliveries have taken place, including the door, a few mosquito nets etc. My phone rings, and I hear the following: "Hey it's the Construction Dudes. We expect the Sales Guy probably hasn't called you, but they contracted us to come over tomorrow and complete the job." Thank gently caress I was there already, I suppose, as Sales Guy had not (and indeed never did) inform me of this second build day.

Come the next day, the Construction Dudes turn up, again having driven in from ~400km away, and install the door ("What the gently caress, if this door was like 0.5mm wider it wouldn't fit at all, who did these measurements"), do the boards for the windows ("What the gently caress, this timber is not of uniform thickness and there's only like 10 cm extra here, what were they thinking?") and add the sheet metal aprons etc. After about 7 hours, they come find me and tell me that there are two problems. First, one of the mosquito nets delivered is the wrong type and color. Two, Sales Guy has forgotten to order timber to cover a gap between the door and a window immediately next to the door on the outside wall. It looks ugly as gently caress but they literally have no material to cover it with. I thank them for doing the best they could, they shake my hand and say "Know what, Sales Guy can come and finish this himself" and drive into the sunset never to be seen again.

We send an email advising the Sales Guy of the problems, that the contract has not been fulfilled, and that we expect them to remedy the situation. We also remind them that their own contract includes a clause stating that we get a 1% discount of the total cost for each starting week of contract overruns. It's been something like two months and we've yet to either hear from Sales Guy nor have they sent a bill.

I think you hired too large a company. I tihnk a single dude making his own wooden windows, taking his own measurements and installing them himself would've gotten it right. Whereabouts in Finland is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think you hired too large a company. I tihnk a single dude making his own wooden windows, taking his own measurements and installing them himself would've gotten it right. Whereabouts in Finland is this?

Yeah, the main problem seems to be too few fucks given by Sales Guy.

The cabin's in North Karelia, a bit less than an hour's drive towards the border from Joensuu. I think the company itself is based in Ostrobothnia and is part of some larger international group.