Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTQ4VMxDv8z/

drone shots of G.I.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/253013609/grand-isle-louisiana/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTRAqWRL0ld/?utm_medium=twitter

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Weatherdammerung 2021: To bad about the Rootbeer

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Well heres the expensive house people were posting

Kept its roof!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

whoever wanted high res aerials they're comin' in

literally the first spot i zoomed in on :stare:

e: hmm yeah seems not great!

pancake rabbit has issued a correction as of 08:06 on Sep 1, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Jesus Christ, good morning Ida

It's 330 am and it looks like a loving rave outside

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well that doesn't seem so ba- oh wait, those are just the concrete pads where the houses used to be, not the houses.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Oldest Man posted:

Well that doesn't seem so ba- oh wait, those are just the concrete pads where the houses used to be, not the houses.

dont worry im told those small trailer homes were just rich vacation homes, nothing to see here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

silicone thrills posted:

holy poo poo looked from grand isle up past golden meadows? flood gate and up LA1 some and jesus christ i think more buildings are just gone than buildings left standing. There's so many spots where you can look and go "well that looks like a foundation but there's nothing there...?

oh no not golden meadow

hopefully there will be an outpouring of sympathy for this community

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Anyone remember palins bridge to nowhere?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

its not nowhere and having to pay some loving ferryman like a goddamn greek epic just so you can go to the airport is the loving worst :colbert:

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Sep 1, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah it was a bridge to Ketchikan's airport, the only easy way in or out, and currently inaccessible in any kind of bad weather due to the rinky dink ferries. It was going to be expensive because the channel is very deep and the bridge still had to let cruise ships past.

Of course Palin's administration took the money anyway and spent it on roads elsewhere, because the only point of an Alaska politician is to siphon as much federal spending as possible

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delta-Wye posted:

its not nowhere and having to pay some loving ferryman like a goddamn greek epic just so you can go to the airport is the loving worst :colbert:

Yeah but would you rather have a bridge or continue with the ferry but have fifty thousand dollars for every man, woman, and child in Ketchikan?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but would you rather have a bridge or continue with the ferry but have fifty thousand dollars for every man, woman, and child in Ketchikan?

im going to get distracted from infrastructure week by a 50k bribe, only to end up winning only a goat somehow. this is the quintessential american experience these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress CRUISE SHIPS

Make them steam around Gravina Island.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Platystemon posted:

gently caress CRUISE SHIPS

Make them steam around Gravina Island.

The Gravina-Revillagigedo Dike, 50 feet tall. Bing bong so simple

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Took 3 days, but they finally got that natural gas plant out in New Orleans East turned on

https://twitter.com/WWLTV/status/1432996366507200512

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I take calls from disaster survivors to sign them up for fema assistance :D :yayyclod: :D :D :D

i was already recovering from covid and my god my throat is killing me. I got moved to 7 days a week, 12-14 hour shifts, as did the rest of the phone monkies fema has been furiously hiring lately in preparation for hurricane season/climate change, but... It's bad. It's so bad. There are still hour long wait times and by the time people get through the connection is so bad due to lack of cell service half the time I can't take them anyway...

One of the things that makes it bad is we don't have like jack poo poo set up yet. People keep asking for poo poo we had set up after katrina while management keeps going WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THAT AT THIS TIME (hotel reimbursement being the biggest one, I'm sick as hell of telling people uhhhh umm i l know we're partnering with hotels but management hasn't told us anything and I'm relying on rumors from people calling in saying they overheard hotel folks gossiping about it.)

Whenever I can get someone to call me sweetie or otherwise tell me I've been a great help, it is nice, but... hot drat do I hope they get power back sooner than in a few weeks. Or hotel assistance or something. Because Holy poo poo. Holy mother of god. Holy poo poo guys i mean like hot drat oh my loving god.

e: post above me, they got SOME power? thank loving god because as i sad: oh my god. holy poo poo. my god

Beekeeping and You has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Sep 1, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Beekeeping and You posted:

I take calls from disaster survivors to sign them up for fema assistance :D :yayyclod: :D :D :D

i was already recovering from covid and my god my throat is killing me. I got moved to 7 days a week, 12-14 hour shifts, as did the rest of the phone monkies fema has been furiously hiring lately in preparation for hurricane season/climate change, but... It's bad. It's so bad. There are still hour long wait times and by the time people get through the connection is so bad due to lack of cell service half the time I can't take them anyway...

One of the things that makes it bad is we don't have like jack poo poo set up yet. People keep asking for poo poo we had set up after katrina while management keeps going WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THAT AT THIS TIME (hotel reimbursement being the biggest one, I'm sick as hell of telling people uhhhh umm i l know we're partnering with hotels but management hasn't told us anything and I'm relying on rumors from people calling in saying they overheard hotel folks gossiping about it.)

Whenever I can get someone to call me sweetie or otherwise tell me I've been a great help, it is nice, but... hot drat do I hope they get power back sooner than in a few weeks. Or hotel assistance or something. Because Holy poo poo. Holy mother of god. Holy poo poo guys i mean like hot drat oh my loving god.

e: post above me, they got SOME power? thank loving god because as i sad: oh my god. holy poo poo. my god

Unironically thank you for your service :patriot:

Business Trombone
Jul 29, 2021

To the FEMA person who sat with me on the phone yesterday while I drove through the remnants of this godforsaken storm for the second time: thank you for being incredibly patient and kind while I was scream-spelling all my personal info over the rain/car noise. You guys rule.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

just lol at thinking fema will do anything in 2021

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

just lol at thinking fema will do anything in 2021

Lol we've been giving out one-time checks of 500 bux to people who say they have immediate needs for gas/medication/food (this one's big because with the evacuation mandate nearly everyone calling needs it so I've been asking people about it specifically and very clearly (half the time theyre like no im still in my house and im fine :) (they are not fine it's been two days without power and it's like 100 degrees and humid as poo poo down there and neither of those things look like they're changing any time soon)))

They're hiring a shitton of phone people and I'm hoping like hell they're hiring an equal or greater amount of boots on the ground (haha) (lol)

back 2 phones, you guys stay safe out there

Beekeeping and You has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Sep 1, 2021

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

ofc I can't directly say hey this will get you 500 bucks because oh god what if people get 500 bucks who don't need it?? :supaburn: sucks when people who didn't click the box at registration call in like hey :( i need that :( bc i can't change it after registration.

Beekeeping and You has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Sep 1, 2021

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Unironically thank you for your service :patriot:

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Is there anywhere where people don’t relentlessly tailgate each other on the highway?

Behind me because I'll break check tailgaters in a heartbeat especially if they're in an expensive car or big truck and dumb enough to tailgate a 20 year old nissan

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

There was a frosttop a couple blocks up from McMain in nola i used to go to and drink coffee/smoke cigarettes instead of going to school :shobon:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Business Trombone posted:

To the FEMA person who sat with me on the phone yesterday while I drove through the remnants of this godforsaken storm for the second time: thank you for being incredibly patient and kind while I was scream-spelling all my personal info over the rain/car noise. You guys rule.

This job involves an (un)surprising amount of being yelled at. I prefer this to people who are pissed they need to submit more goddamn paperwork seriously i already submitted this three times :argh: I also wish we could accept photos of amazon labels of proof of occupancy maam :(

Beekeeping and You has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Sep 1, 2021

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

They're hiring a shitton of phone people and I'm hoping like hell they're hiring an equal or greater amount of boots on the ground (haha) (lol)

back 2 phones, you guys stay safe out there

What's the phone job called and best way to apply? I have a friend who had a cushy remote CSR position she just lost and is looking for work.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Vernii posted:

What's the phone job called and best way to apply? I have a friend who had a cushy remote CSR position she just lost and is looking for work.

IHP customer service rep, Try USAjobs. It's not permanently remote, we're just wfh now due to covid, but we aren't due to go back in until January. I'm trying to arrange a more permanent WFH position myself tbh. :shobon: If you don't live near one of the NPSCs (MD, VA, TX) you probably won't be able to either, they require you to drive in to grab the laptop/headset and do all the paperwork.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vernii posted:

There is a CSPAM jobs thread you should check: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977556

Business Gorilla was hiring WFH CSR reps out of that thread.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my parents house is alllllmost in this pic on the left side

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

ofc I can't directly say hey this will get you 500 bucks because oh god what if people get 500 bucks who don't need it?? :supaburn: sucks when people who didn't click the box at registration call in like hey :( i need that :( bc i can't change it after registration.

Where is this? I applied Sunday and just checked and don't see anything? Do I have to call?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

OK baizuo posted:

Behind me because I'll break check tailgaters in a heartbeat especially if they're in an expensive car or big truck and dumb enough to tailgate a 20 year old nissan

Brake checking is a great way to get run off the road. If they don’t hit their brakes in time they have a lot more control over where you go than you do. Just saying

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

they require you to drive in to grab the laptop/headset and do all the paperwork.

this is hilariously stupid lol

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Zig-Zag posted:

Where is this? I applied Sunday and just checked and don't see anything? Do I have to call?

Not gonna lie you're probably SOL, you can't change it once you apply :( gently caress I wish I could but the software won't let you touch it. I got like 5 calls just today from people trying to add that.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

I'm very glad that your parents are alright, good goon

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

this is hilariously stupid lol

lol you have no loving idea, they make every step of the application process way harder than it should be to TEST YOUR COMMITMENT or some poo poo, had to drive an hour to be there at 7 am sharp and they demanded like 20 pages of paperwork to apply

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tropical Storm Larry is coming to slam into the northeast. Very exciting.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

we need the most dedicated people to work for the organization that does nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

did your parents make it though okay? aside from their house getting turbofucked?