Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well tbf it's less that it's the weakest and more that the uh performance gap or delta between the 3060 and 3060ti (supposedly a small upgrade) is considerably larger than the one between the 3060ti and the 3070. that's why it's marketed so affordably comparatively. you can spec high performance 16x2 kits on promo here for like, £120-150 quite often if you were worried about ram compatability and it's the easiest upgrade in the case by a lot, sec here's some examples.

even the fancy rgb kits go around here sometimes

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/co...germany-3786243 (have to order on german site but will ship via uk mainland anyway)

bit more sensible

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/cr...-amazon-3786760

even if you had a two slot board it wouldn't be too pricy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Reposting my proposed build here as I have a question.

I've found a 3600 at a bargain bin price of half that of the 5600x. Given that gaming isn't going to be my priority with this system is there any reason I shouldn't go for it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Z the IVth posted:

I've found a 3600 at a bargain bin price of half that of the 5600x. Given that gaming isn't going to be my priority with this system is there any reason I shouldn't go for it?

in gaming the difference is pretty marginal anything over 1080 and even then it's far from bad. what is the other purpose? if it's some sort of time sensitive CPU productivity task there could be an argument. i went with a 3300X, the 3600X's little brother and am quite happy with it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

in gaming the difference is pretty marginal anything over 1080 and even then it's far from bad. what is the other purpose? if it's some sort of time sensitive CPU productivity task there could be an argument. i went with a 3300X, the 3600X's little brother and am quite happy with it.

My processor has a boost functionality that is an actual working piece of hardware(software?). I idle at 2.9GHz. I play Naraka at almost 5. 60% of my computer’s time is fine at 2.9, and the weird thing about the marketing actually stopped my search scanning immediately. “Why would you put a 2.9GHz chip in a RTX 3070 machine? Lemme check that out.” The info I found researching it felt good, and was the second main reason I bought the particular one five minute period it wasn’t sold out from under me 😬!

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Z the IVth posted:

Not really. In the future you could upgrade to an Ampere or RDNA2 video card, and a 3600 would be totally fine with them, especially if you're playing at 1440p or higher. That said, a 5600x will have much better application performance outside of games.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The main thing I'd worry about in this instance is air recirculation. It seems likely to me, given the case and fan arrangement, that a lot of the air being pushed through his lone intake fan is coming from inside the case rather than outside. Filling the front with a wall of fans configured for intake would prevent this in addition to providing more overall airflow.

CoolCab posted:

e: haha beaten by the good doctor

Thanks for the fan chat. Checking the docs for my case and mobo, it looks like I have a theoretical limit of 3 fans up front, 2 on top and 2 in back (though that assumes no GPU, so only 1 rear exhaust for me), all 120mm. My mobo shows 3 case fan plugs (and one for the CPU), one in back, one up top and one towards the front.

SO, what I could do with that 5-pack Dr. G linked, is have a front-bottom and front-middle fan chained into SYS_FAN3, a top-front and front-top INtake fan (drawing fresh air down and into the path of the front 3 fans) chained into SYS_FAN2, and then the rear fan and a back-top OUTtake fan in SYS_FAN1 to vent warm air from the rear of the case. Does that sound reasonable?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Get a lightly used 3600 for £100 (they come up on Facebook marketplace constantly, just be patient), then either bank the £140 you’ve saved or turn it into a used GTX 970 with some change left over, or sell the 770 for £50 or so and turned the combined savings into a GTX 980Ti (or a well priced 1070, if you’re patient).

Net additional cost to you over your posted build = 0 but you have a system that can very credibly game at 1080p, certainly so much more than a 5600x + 770.

The only thing a 5600x does over a 3600 is provide some additional FPS on very powerful GPUs when gaming at 1080p while you’re already into the 100’s.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Thanks for the fan chat. Checking the docs for my case and mobo, it looks like I have a theoretical limit of 3 fans up front, 2 on top and 2 in back (though that assumes no GPU, so only 1 rear exhaust for me), all 120mm. My mobo shows 3 case fan plugs (and one for the CPU), one in back, one up top and one towards the front.

SO, what I could do with that 5-pack Dr. G linked, is have a front-bottom and front-middle fan chained into SYS_FAN3, a top-front and front-top INtake fan (drawing fresh air down and into the path of the front 3 fans) chained into SYS_FAN2, and then the rear fan and a back-top OUTtake fan in SYS_FAN1 to vent warm air from the rear of the case. Does that sound reasonable?

This sounds doable. I've never seen CoolCab's alternating intake/exhaust setup on the top fan slots before, but if it works, it works. :shrug:

Also be sure to check how many pins your motherboard fan headers are, and how many your current case fans are. If they're all 4-pin, then great, don't worry about it. If the motherboard headers are 4-pin but your current fans are 3-pin, then you may want to connect those to the motherboard separately from the new fans if you're keeping them (you can connect 3-pin fans to 4-pin headers just fine, but the 3-pin fans might act weird when daisy-chained with a 4-pin fan). If the motherboard headers are 3-pin, then you can still use the fans I linked, but you'll have to rely on voltage-based fan control rather than PWM fan control (voltage-based fan control has just three stages usually, while PWM can be finely tuned down to the percent of their max RPM). Some graphics cards even have extra fan headers you can plug case fans into so they get controlled directly by your GPU instead of the motherboard. I kinda doubt a 2060 will be that tricked out, though.

Fans, they're more complicated than you think.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

This sounds doable. I've never seen CoolCab's alternating intake/exhaust setup on the top fan slots before, but if it works, it works. :shrug:

to be fair my setup is weird. four lovely one speed slow casefans with three awful mostly blocked intakes, two good fans alternating on top and feeding directly into an Arctic esports duo with two excellent fans facing front to back. I think I was both starved for intake and exhaust because adding the fans significantly improved performance.

e: but to be fair the "cool" part of my name refers to the fact i grew up in the arctic and as such prefer ambient to be as close to zero as is allowed without my pipes freezing lol

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

My Motherboard up and died so I decided I wanted to get a new CPU & Mobo. Decided to get a 5600x, what is a good Motherboard to pair with it? I found some and seems like a majrotiy them require flashing the BIOS.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fat_Cow posted:

My Motherboard up and died so I decided I wanted to get a new CPU & Mobo. Decided to get a 5600x, what is a good Motherboard to pair with it? I found some and seems like a majrotiy them require flashing the BIOS.

they probably don't, actually. pc part picker will throw up that warning because some boards (B450 and B550 and maybe more) predate the 5000 series, so in theory there could be some old stock out there in a warehouse somewhere that has the old bios. but the chips have been out a year now and the overwhelming majority of mobo stock is updated. also, any board with BIOS flashback or similar can do it even without an older chip, or i think some manufacturers have loaner programs - all you need is an older Ryzen chip in there long enough to update it.

B550 is the recommendation that this threads throws most often cause it's a great price/performance sweet spot. there's a tier list on LTT's forums for mobo VRMs but for a 5600X that's probably not relevant. find one that has the features you want and is in budget.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fat_Cow posted:

Any B550 motherboard will be fine, and 99.5% won't need flashing. That was the case for B450 models, and maybe the first few B550s, but any motherboards currently being made are fully compatible with the 5600X's generation.

Just find any B550 motherboard that isn't badly reviewed and that fits your specific use case, it's honestly one of the bigger no brainers in building a PC right now

EDIT what CC said

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you want a good place to start the b550m pro vdh wifi is like $100 and well reviewed.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Barry Foster posted:

Any B550 motherboard will be fine, and 99.5% won't need flashing. That was the case for B450 models, and maybe the first few B550s, but any motherboards currently being made are fully compatible with the 5600X's generation.

Just find any B550 motherboard that isn't badly reviewed and that fits your specific use case, it's honestly one of the bigger no brainers in building a PC right now

EDIT what CC said

In the unlikely event that flashback (or similarly marketed features depending on manufacturer) is needed because the board's BIOS doesn't recognize a 5XXX series Ryzen, Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI have offerings in that respect.

But so long as any vendor has seen regular refresh with their stock, chances of that are (probably) pretty low these days.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

You could do what cab is doing, but frankly the goal is to get fresh air in and then out as fast as possible. This is why push/pull is the standard and it works so well.

By doing this, you're smashing air from the front intake into air from the top intake, causing it to just sit rather than flow cleanly, before being sucked up by the exhaust.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Begall posted:

Get a lightly used 3600 for £100 (they come up on Facebook marketplace constantly, just be patient), then either bank the £140 you’ve saved or turn it into a used GTX 970 with some change left over, or sell the 770 for £50 or so and turned the combined savings into a GTX 980Ti (or a well priced 1070, if you’re patient).

Net additional cost to you over your posted build = 0 but you have a system that can very credibly game at 1080p, certainly so much more than a 5600x + 770.

The only thing a 5600x does over a 3600 is provide some additional FPS on very powerful GPUs when gaming at 1080p while you’re already into the 100’s.

This is my reasoning as well. There are some "Grade B" units on OCUK that are going for about £150. I'm going to see if I can bring it down to about £120 which would be reasonable given they're offering a 3 month warranty.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You could do what cab is doing, but frankly the goal is to get fresh air in and then out as fast as possible. This is why push/pull is the standard and it works so well.

By doing this, you're smashing air from the front intake into air from the top intake, causing it to just sit rather than flow cleanly, before being sucked up by the exhaust.

let me try and visualize it. so, i went out and bought the Arctic F12s as a multipack of 5 only before discovering the kind i bought didn't daisy chain - my original intent was to pull out the poor casefans and replace them with the three spare Arctics i had. i was going to buy a cheapo header and do it that way, but the second i installed the top fans the problem disappeared, and got even better when i later upgraded my CPU cooler.

the intent is for intake at the front half of the case and then rely on the strong CPU fans and the three on the front to ensure air flows (mostly) from right to left. the CPU gets very fresh air, the recirculation problem seems to be addressed somewhat by the dual exhausts venting < and ^, or possibly just from my ambient being low and the area it's venting (under my desk) encouraging flow out of the keyboard tray, i think.

i dunno if it's the particularities of my living situation or my Frankenstein combination of different fans but it works really well. i don't know if it would for someone else but it works for me for sure!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
but like i say that's purely trial and error - if the thermal issue had persisted i would have tried alternate arrangements and probably at least tried the last fan as intake. but then i don't have my finger warmer, so who can really say who wins?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If the front intakes are that bad, then yeah that could make sense.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks like I wandered in here at the right time to ask about fan placement. I've got a Lian Li O11D XL showing up tomorrow, and will be moving my system into that. Current plan is 3 120mm on the bottom for intake, 3 120mm on side for intake, and 3 120mm exhausting through the 360mm CPU AIO rad up top.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Also be sure to check how many pins your motherboard fan headers are, and how many your current case fans are. If they're all 4-pin, then great, don't worry about it. If the motherboard headers are 4-pin but your current fans are 3-pin, then you may want to connect those to the motherboard separately from the new fans if you're keeping them (you can connect 3-pin fans to 4-pin headers just fine, but the 3-pin fans might act weird when daisy-chained with a 4-pin fan). If the motherboard headers are 3-pin, then you can still use the fans I linked, but you'll have to rely on voltage-based fan control rather than PWM fan control (voltage-based fan control has just three stages usually, while PWM can be finely tuned down to the percent of their max RPM). Some graphics cards even have extra fan headers you can plug case fans into so they get controlled directly by your GPU instead of the motherboard. I kinda doubt a 2060 will be that tricked out, though.

Fans, they're more complicated than you think.

Yep, verified mine are 4-pin. I even rebooted into BIOS and hunted around until I found my fan config PWM options, and while I don't see any fan control from the 2060 itself it does look like I can tie each MB fan plug to a different temp source, one of which is called PCIx16 which I can only assume means the GPU.

This is pretty much exactly my planned setup, except my CPU fan is pointed straight down so it's just going to dissipate air everywhere. Like I said above I ~think~ my BIOS is going to let me tie all my case fans to GPU temp so I should be able to have at least the 5 pack all spinning up and down based on that (the rear fan that came with the kit is plugged in to something else, probably for the Hot GamurTM RGB controls so it's not actually taking up a mobo fan plug, but I'm fine with it running all the time anyway). That's probably still not ideal but it will be worlds better than what I've got now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have heard tales of it working when i googled around to find out why the hell (my expectation was that my solution was only going to be needed as long as i didn't have a fan hub), give it some testing for sure. due to circumstance i sorta can't shy of tearing out all four of the casefans since they're hardwired together, but i'd be very curious if you'd be willing to give it a go.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Yep, verified mine are 4-pin. I even rebooted into BIOS and hunted around until I found my fan config PWM options, and while I don't see any fan control from the 2060 itself it does look like I can tie each MB fan plug to a different temp source, one of which is called PCIx16 which I can only assume means the GPU.

This is pretty much exactly my planned setup, except my CPU fan is pointed straight down so it's just going to dissipate air everywhere. Like I said above I ~think~ my BIOS is going to let me tie all my case fans to GPU temp so I should be able to have at least the 5 pack all spinning up and down based on that (the rear fan that came with the kit is plugged in to something else, probably for the Hot GamurTM RGB controls so it's not actually taking up a mobo fan plug, but I'm fine with it running all the time anyway). That's probably still not ideal but it will be worlds better than what I've got now.

So you’re going to exhaust your CPU directly into your GPU?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

So you’re going to exhaust your CPU directly into your GPU?

drat. Red dragon vs Gold dragon. Who will cook off first? (Yes I am nerdman)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I'd run both top fans to exhaust. Looks fine otherwise you can't get away from your GPU getting some CPU hot air no matter what unless you're running an AIO/water loop on one or the other.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Killer_B posted:

Not entirely certain if this is the correct thread for asking about uninterruptible power supply (UPS) units or not, apologies if the question needs to be asked elsewhere.

Is there a general rule for researching how much power needs to be considered for a suitable unit?

My example would be a mid-range desktop and an unraid server, primarily with enough battery to be able to cleanly shut down in 10-15 minutes or less in the event of an outage, so nothing really extraordinary.

Also, what would be good recommendations for a UPS unit that can handle that particular need? I guess power requirements would need to be defined first, before coming up with a budget.

Forgive my pseudo-math, but Required Capacity = Desired Runtime x PSU Watts x Workload Factor. The actual math is non-linear, and your best and laziest sizing answer is going to come from the UPS manufacturer's runtime calculator.

You need a sufficiently-sized UPS for the amount of runtime you want at the load you want. UPSes are broadly intended to give you just enough time to safely shut down (or switch to generator) in the event of a power failure. 10 or 15 minutes is a long time in UPS terms with the kinds of computers most of us are building here. So yes, step one is knowing your power requirements, and from there you can balance how long you want to run against how much money you want to spend.

In your particular case, you'd most likely want two UPSes; most consumer models can only connect to one computer for management, and most UPSes will cut the battery as soon as that system finishes shutting down. (i.e. With a single UPS, one of your computers would always have a dirty shutdown when it just suddenly loses power.)

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am interested in this, too. Is there a command or app or even a Power Shell script to detect a power flux and shut down as quickly as reasonably possible while the UPS is working?

For that, you just need a free USB port on your computer and a UPS with signaling support (most of them, today). Unless you're still running Windows XP for whatever reason, UPS USB support has been built into your OS of choice for years. Plug and play and configure it in your power control panel. (It took forever to get there, but it's there.)

It's a boring feature so it doesn't get much mention, but it's there and ready to work, much to many people's surprise.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 2, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Molten Llama posted:

Forgive my pseudo-math, but Required Capacity = Desired Runtime x PSU Watts x Workload Factor. The actual math is non-linear, and your best and laziest sizing answer is going to come from the UPS manufacturer's runtime calculator.

You need a sufficiently-sized UPS for the amount of runtime you want at the load you want. UPSes are broadly intended to give you just enough time to safely shut down (or switch to generator) in the event of a power failure. 10 or 15 minutes is a long time in UPS terms with the kinds of computers most of us are building here. So yes, step one is knowing your power requirements, and from there you can balance how long you want to run against how much money you want to spend.

In your particular case, you'd most likely want two UPSes; most consumer models can only connect to one computer for management, and most UPSes will cut the battery as soon as that system finishes shutting down. (i.e. With a single UPS, one of your computers would always have a dirty shutdown when it just suddenly loses power.)

For that, you just need a free USB port on your computer and a UPS with signaling support (most of them, today). Unless you're still running Windows XP for whatever reason, UPS USB support has been built into your OS of choice for years. Plug and play and configure it in your power control panel. (It took forever to get there, but it's there.)

It's a boring feature so it doesn't get much mention, but it's there and ready to work, much to many people's surprise.

Great! I’ll check it out. My old UPS works fine for the TV and antenna and Apple TV box, but it doesn’t even have usb or anything besides receptacles (12 of them). I figured (and have seen now that I’m actually in the market) newer ones would have extra functionality as well as not being neutron-star density bricks. It’s mainly because of how hard sourcing a new GPU was/is. I just don’t want a too-fast shutdown to physically damage it. It’s not cost, because I have a long replacement guarantee, I just don’t want to go through the process if it’s something I can lower the risk by my own choices.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How well will a 3060 handle gaming on one 1920x1080 monitor while playing videos on the other?

Follow up question: If I later manage to get my hands on a 3080 (and, presumably, a much fancier monitor to make it worthwhile), will a b550 motherboard be enough to jam the two in beside each other or should I spring for the x570 now?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 2, 2021

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Splicer posted:

How well will a 3060 handle gaming on one 1920x1080 monitor while playing videos on the other?

Mine has been able to max out every game I've thrown at it in 1080p, so probably just fine. Gonna depend on the game though I'm sure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Splicer posted:

Follow up question: If I later manage to get my hands on a 3080 (and, presumably, a much fancier monitor to make it worthwhile), will a b550 motherboard be enough to jam the two in beside each other or should I spring for the x570 now?

Think of playing videos as being essentially a nonissue. I can't answer your question about the motherboard but yeah any issues playing a video would be more related to weird drivers or something, it's not taxing at all.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
uh do you intend to run your 3060 and 3080 at once?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks for the resolution answers, is what I thought but I was running into weird stuff on the slowly dying 580 that got worse when videos were playing at the same time.

CoolCab posted:

uh do you intend to run your 3060 and 3080 at once?
Have I said something dumb by badly misunderstanding the concept of SLI :ohdear:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

Have I said something dumb by badly misunderstanding the concept of SLI :ohdear:

You need an SLI bridge to physically connect the two cards as one and run SLI, I believe the 3090 is the only Ampere card that has the actual port to do that. Also, can you even mix and match if you wanted to run two cards in tandem?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
SLI is effectively dead by the way (and you shouldn't be doing it in the year 2021).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 2, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

You need an SLI bridge to physically connect the two cards as one and run SLI, I believe the 3090 is the only Ampere card that has the actual port to do that. Also, can you even mix and match if you wanted to run two cards in tandem?
Oh I'm just old and out of date, quick googling shows

Thom P. Tiers posted:

SLI is effectively dead by the way.
Yeah. Balls. It would totally have worked 5 years ago though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

change my name posted:

even with two 3090s you can't run classic SLi because nvidia dropped driver support with ampere

it only works with the handful of games that go out of their way to support multi gpu

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Splicer posted:

Yeah. Balls. It would totally have worked 5 years ago though.

nah i think SLI always has to be the same card. i don't know if it has to be the same exact model but only 970s can pair with other 970s and so forth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Final question, 5800x vs 5600x, is the benefit of the 5800x just not worth the cost jump or is it actually meaningless for gaming? Assuming what I want is longevity (not future proofing, I mean I want it to physically last) I'm looking at the 5600x's lower temperatures.

Again dual monitor setup and will usually be running something in the other window, but not like software renders or what have you.

If it's actually worth the jump though then I'd prefer to spend the 100 euro.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 2, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if you have a productivity role or some other specific role for an eight core chip go for it, but quite frankly typically if i have to ask you don't have one. it's more cores, if you have something to do more cores with it does more, gaming is not typically as core heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 5800X currently provides gaming performance that's nearly identical to the 5600X. Save the money, get a 5600X.