Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Darthemed posted:

Here's the previous use of that one.

Dang it - he didn't repeat it, I did. Sorry folks, with Beeman, once is more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Commentary

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

lol the cat won.

I mean I'm not surprised but it's still funny.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Savarna please fire a warning shot with your Grenade Launcher

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The 2007 wing of The MiniSec Ecocide Museum discovers the magical world of COLOR CARTOONING! (December 10-14)

Meanwhile, 2011 gets to the interesting part. (January 10-14)

Which brings us to this...

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Mikl posted:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Wait, why the gently caress would anyone care about The Lion King in a world full of anthropomorphic animals? Why would anyone even make that movie/musical? Isn't it just Hamlet in their world? How has Hollbrook never once thought about the world he's been building for most of my lifetime?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Time to go drink, Wilbur!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Endless Mike posted:

Time to go drink, Wilbur!

I'm praying for another trippy dream sequence now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Wait, why the gently caress would anyone care about The Lion King in a world full of anthropomorphic animals? Why would anyone even make that movie/musical? Isn't it just Hamlet in their world? How has Hollbrook never once thought about the world he's been building for most of my lifetime?
Holbrook only thinks about what's needed for the storyline at that exact moment. Nothing more, nothing less. See also his often-contradictory trans-species metaphors.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oh poo poo

somebody is getting muffins!

or murdered

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Frankly, Wilbur, I figured I could do better. A lot better.

*Zak emerges from behind a tree*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Go back home and be a family man Wilbur

Oh wait

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

lol the cat won.

Wilbur got loving owned by Libby. Too bad the boom box is all out of tunes for Wilbur.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

FOR SALE: FUNNY ANIMALS, NEVER ONLINE

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I think you could probably write a dissertation at this point about all the nerdy references in Retail that made sense in 2009 but which sound considerably less nerdy in the present day because of the way in which nerd culture has consumed everything between then and now.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

So I’m gonna add a new strip/artist to the thread, and she deserves her own post.

…Introducing Lynda Barry! Best known for Ernie Pook’s Comeek, I’m going to start with One! Hundred! Demons! her semi-autobiographical…not really a graphic novel? You’ll see, it’s really cool.

Lynda Barry is, imo, an unparalleled comics artist of the modern era. Her childlike drawing belies the emotional intensity of her work — but perhaps that’s the point. Her comics are intensely personal and sensitive, while maintaining enough editorial distance to make some really good jokes. One! Hundred! Demons! is quite different from her Ernie Pook/Marlys, but it shares the element of deep insight into the emotional lives of children — which is much more complicated than any of us remember.

Once I’ve posted all of this book, I’ll start with her more standard comic strip, and that’ll come with more biographical commentary from me. Since this book is more narrative, I’ve divided the chapters according to the “beats” of her storytelling, so as not to be overwhelming and to let us enjoy watching her vignettes unfold.

So now, let’s dive into the introduction!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 1, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I appreciate how this particular quicksand gag only makes sense if quicksand moves very slowly. Which it does, because it has a very counterintuitive name that's been misinterpreted in pop culture basically forever.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

So I’m gonna add a new strip/artist to the thread, and she deserves her own post.

…Introducing Lynda Barry! Best known for Ernie Pook’s Comeek, I’m going to start with One! Hundred! Demons! her semi-autobiographical…not really a graphic novel? You’ll see, it’s really cool.

Lynda Barry is, imo, an unparalleled comics artist of the modern era. Her childlike drawing belies the emotional intensity of her work — but perhaps that’s the point. Her comics are intensely personal and sensitive, while maintaining enough editorial distance to make some really good jokes. One! Hundred! Demons! is quite different from her best-known work, but it shares the element of deep insight into the emotional lives of children — which is much more complicated than any of us remember.

Once I’ve posted all of this book, I’ll start with her more standard comic strip, and that’ll come with more biographical commentary from me. Since this book is more narrative, I’ve divided the chapters according to the “beats” of her storytelling, so as not to be overwhelming and to let us enjoy watching her vignettes unfold.

So now, let’s dive into the introduction!

I read Cruddy in college and that was what got me to love her work, thanks for posting these.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

For all of Jules’s storytelling growing pains, I love that she’s kept the key elements of Weird Circle Signature and Foreground Animals.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

lol the cat won.

But Moy, I crave violence!

And it’s my pleasure, Hostile V! I started reading Ernie Pook as soon as I was old enough to start taking public transit around the city on my own, picking up the new issues of the Chicago Reader as fast as they came out. Lynda Barry was the perfect artist for a weirdo tween to come across — I discovered her before either of my parents did, so I always felt like she was my own personal underground artist, writing just for me. I’m incredibly jazzed to start posting her work and to finally have a good excuse to buy her compendium

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

It's not even close to Hamlet. All the characters occupy completely different positions in the plot. Lion King is built up as a hero's journey while Hamlet plays out like a tragic comedy of errors. There's no Laertes analog, let alone a convoluted fake duel with real poison that defines the entire climax, among other massive differences. The similarities begin and end with both stories featuring a brotherly usurper and a ghost who talks to the dead king's son, neither of which are particularly unique elements. The entire Hamlet analogy exists largely to detract from the Lion King actually ripping off Kimba the White Lion, a story that not only uses similar narrative devices and an identical setting but even reproduces much of the same imagery.

...But to answer your question no, it's unclear what kind of appeal the Lion King would have in a universe where all animals are intelligent. Maybe it's just a dramatization of life in The Wild?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

It's off to a good start!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! September 7, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True October 11, 1918

Gay and Her Gang October 14, 1929

Oaky Doaks March 16, 1936

Mopsy May 17, 1937

Up Front June 27, 1944

Dark Laughter June 5, 1948

Those Were the Days January 21, 1954

Wee Pals December 4, 1965

Dogbert April 19, 1966

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pearls Before Swine gets a temporary promotion because it looks like we're finally getting that storyline that was temporarily punted in January because...ahem...reasons.

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 6 and 8, 1934)

Peanuts (September 2-3, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

See, it's funny because neither of those new fears are particularly distant, and thanks to idiot school boards across the country, the one that involves the disease isn't even vaguely hypothetical!

Speaking of which, welcome back to COVIDshaft!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 31-April 1, 1938)

Out Our Way (April 12-14, 1937)

I absolutely remember this one, but don't have the date handy. I kinda wish I'd been taking notes, just to see if this really is a redraw.

Toonerville Folks (December 27-29, 1917)

Before Herbert Hoover was the Bonus Army-squashing, wish-away-the-Depression President, he was the head of the wartime United States Food Administration. From Wikipedia: " It was established to prevent monopolies and hoarding, and to maintain government control of foods through voluntary agreements and licensing. [...] The agency had broad powers but few mechanisms for enforcement of its policies. It relied largely upon patriotic appeals and voluntary compliance in the formal absence of rationing."

Dok's "Not To Be The Tone Police, Buddy, But Maybe Dial It Down A Notch" Duck (October 1, 1913)

For those of you who remember the Potlatch Riot story, this little dustup lands in the middle of Judge Humphries losing his goddamn mind.

Hey, del's back! Time for more Little Lefty! (April 4-6, 1935)

And because it's always interesting to see how thread favorites interact, Bob Ripley pissed off the editorial board enough that they dedicated half of the back page to dragging him.

Comrade Name Not Given in the April 6, 1935 Daily Worker posted:

The well-known Hearst stooge, "Believe-lt-or-Not" Ripley, who makes a living by inventing fairy tales about a goldfish in the middle of China that talks French, and a bullfrog in the swamps of Florida that presses pants, now crowns his career with equally startling discoveries on the Soviet Union.

"A year ago." relates Ripley confidentially. "I found myself on the border of Russia and Persia. The Persians had left me and my baggage exactly in the middle of the International Bridge . . . I was completely abandoned and totally isolated . . . the Red soldiers wouldn't let me return. So there I was for about five hours."

Believe it or not! For five hours the intelligent soldiers on both sides of the border debated what to do with this dubious piece of travelling Hearstiana.[...]

He seems to have travelled through the Soviet Union in a state of coma, or stupor. For he doesn't give us the single name of a place he visited, he doesn't meinton having spoken to a single human being. And he carefully avoided the Hearst correspondent in Moscow, Mr. [Lindsay] Parrott, who recently reported to the world record harvests in the alleged "starvation" areas.

Blondie From Zero, in which Mr. Bumstead is about to call Miss Boopadoop's bluff. (January 12-14, 1931)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days January 21, 1954

Alright, Beeman, you've used your one allotted "Antiques? We used to call it JUNK!" joke for 1954.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Hey, del's back! Time for more Little Lefty! (April 4-6, 1935)

And because it's always interesting to see how thread favorites interact, Bob Ripley pissed off the editorial board enough that they dedicated half of the back page to dragging him.

This one really threw me at first because I'd heard of reports of nonexistent record Soviet harvests but this one postdates the Holodomor by two years. The implication being that outlets would lie about the Soviet Union experiencing starvation even if they weren't, which places Walter Duranty's reporting in a context I hadn't previously considered, despite it being perfectly consistent with everything I already knew about the era's journalism.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Estelle finally dumping Wilbur over him being a dick to her cat would be great, but I'm expecting Mary to intervene here and ask her to give Wilbur another chance and not to let a cat come between her relationship with a person.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Everett seems to have gone entirely from taking on real pests to just mangling anyone who's the least bit annoying. Was Condo getting up there in years at this point?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Some Guy TT posted:

The entire Hamlet analogy exists largely to detract from the Lion King actually ripping off Kimba the White Lion, a story that not only uses similar narrative devices and an identical setting but even reproduces much of the same imagery.
Are you being serious? It's pretty easy to find similarities when you're comparing one movie to 130 episodes of anime and multiple films. Especially when the film that spawned the most comparison screenshots came out three years after the Lion King. Frankly, I wish the Lion King had ripped off Kimba harder because it would have been really funny to see Simba puppetting Mufasa's corpse around and beating up poachers, mad scientists and all other manner of colonizers.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kimba is also very explicitly about the balance between nature and human development and the systems that drive hostility between the two; while humans are entirely absent in the Lion King,. The threat is simply a "bad king" and the movie spends no time on asking if maybe kings were a bad idea. Kimba returns to his ancestral home with a new perspective to share with the animals, and a new way of addressing the issues facing them. Simba returns to his home to depose his uncle and return to the status quo that caused the problem in the first place.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe it's only in hindsight, knowing that Stalin's Great Purge is looming over the horizon, that extolling the virtues of the Soviet Union kind of works against the generally top notch staunchly antiracist, empower the working class, fight for social justice thing Little Lefty's got going on.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

We could all learn from Jason.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I'd have left panel 4 as a beat panel without narration, but I actually like this one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Samovar posted:

In today's delayed Blueberry: A new adventure begins!, or It's a good thing that this story has had a history of extremely well rounded women characters, Mikl, because otherwise, this newcomer might irritate you!, or Danuta Danielsson nods approvingly.

I enjoy this lady.

I don't say it enough, but I absolutely love the Powerful Katrinka. She's a very good role model.

Same with Tomboy Taylor.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

No wait. You find the baby's pacifier on the floor, and you give it back to them without even washing it off? What the hell??

Classic Kevin & Kell in: "...And whatever the gently caress Coney is, I guess." (May 12-18, 2003)

Modern Kevin & Kell

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 11, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 11, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 11, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/31/01

Brenda Starr 2/27 - 3/1/47

Smokey Stover 2/28/43