Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the only problem with magus is all the styles look too cool and I want to play them all

well maybe not the two-handed sword one "bonus HP" is practical but boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Thanks for the responses everyone! I want to give this system a fair shot since I'm such a fan of D&D4e an I've heard it takes a lot of notes out of that system to design itself.

It's nice to know that its a mixture of unoptimised iconic mixed with some holes of being at level 1 that is causing the issue. Honestly I'm not going to get the GM to make decisions and take actions something nobody is familiar with so changing armour or equipment is off the table to be honest.

I full understand the nature of reaction to defend allies but I think the big problems of it being irrelevant is that a) I've got the lowest ac if the shield isn't up so there hasn't being much incentive to even go after someone else and b) I think the knowledge that at best you deal 1d8+3 to one enemy really isn't much of a deterrent for someone just ignoring me if I've got my shield up.

A couple of questions again coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't made a character of their but I've had a look through that stuff (obviously I would have missed stuff)

1) I assume you only get 1 reaction per round, not 1 reaction per turn? What's the design of the system that allows 1 reaction to be enough to play a defender type character or is that really not a valid goal for a character in this system?
Is this class more of a back line character with a polearm or a bow and the reaction is more about getting just an extra attack than protecting people).
Does the single attack damage just scale like bonkers?
Are encounters really meant to focus on a limited number of enemies?
Is the game entirely designed around close quarters (seeing how little the damage is makes me feel like even if ever fight gave me opportunities to use it, it wouldnt be crazy)
etc etc

2) Can you be going into combat with your shield raised or is that specifically a thing you can only do once that initiative is rolled even if you know danger is on its way? I've been very vulnerable when my shield isn't up in that first round.

3) Is this a system where I really should be looking from a build guide or I'm going to be really hurt by missing feat combos or spell that clownshoes over others etc?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

kingcom posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone! I want to give this system a fair shot since I'm such a fan of D&D4e an I've heard it takes a lot of notes out of that system to design itself.

It's nice to know that its a mixture of unoptimised iconic mixed with some holes of being at level 1 that is causing the issue. Honestly I'm not going to get the GM to make decisions and take actions something nobody is familiar with so changing armour or equipment is off the table to be honest.

I full understand the nature of reaction to defend allies but I think the big problems of it being irrelevant is that a) I've got the lowest ac if the shield isn't up so there hasn't being much incentive to even go after someone else and b) I think the knowledge that at best you deal 1d8+3 to one enemy really isn't much of a deterrent for someone just ignoring me if I've got my shield up.

A couple of questions again coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't made a character of their but I've had a look through that stuff (obviously I would have missed stuff)

1) I assume you only get 1 reaction per round, not 1 reaction per turn? What's the design of the system that allows 1 reaction to be enough to play a defender type character or is that really not a valid goal for a character in this system?
Is this class more of a back line character with a polearm or a bow and the reaction is more about getting just an extra attack than protecting people).
Is the game entirely designed around close quarters (seeing how little the damage is makes me feel like even if ever fight gave me opportunities to use it, it wouldnt be crazy)
etc etc

2) Can you be going into combat with your shield raised or is that specifically a thing you can only do once that initiative is rolled even if you know danger is on its way? I've been very vulnerable when my shield isn't up in that first round.

3) Is this a system where I really should be looking from a build guide or I'm going to be really hurt by missing feat combos or spell that clownshoes over others etc?

1. champions get more reactions later on.
It's fine, as the hard enemies are going to be in fights with one or two of them, which your reaction will be plenty useful.
I would use a pole on a paladin, but shield is fine. single attack damage scales, champions get more help with it.
Yes, encounters work best with limited enemies, but works fine with groups aswell.
You shouldn't have much problem staying within 10/15 foot of the people you are protecting.

2. u can have a shield prepared as a exploration action, so if u sense combat, switch to that one.

3. It's not hard to figure out the synergies, the problem with champions is apart from a couple of levels maybe, all the feats are good. you can mix and match between feats for your reaction and focus spells and still be effective.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

etc etc

Keep in mind that you don't have to choose WHAT your reaction is going to be on your turn. So you can raise your shield as one of your actions - if the enemy goes after you, then you shield block. If it goes after someone else then you can retributive strike. Having your shield raised doesn't exclude you from doing the other.

You can be going into combat with your shield raised by taking the Defend action in exploration mode. I'm not sure how the Beginner Box covers exploration mode, so your GM may not have really gone through it yet, but you are supposed to be able to do that (at the cost of doing another Exploration mode action).

A build guide isn't a bad idea, just to see if there's synergies, but retraining is a cinch, so missing out on something doesn't screw you permanently.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

kingcom posted:

etc etc

Yes, one reaction per round, refreshes at the start of your turn. The other thing to note about the champion's reaction is that it cuts the damage to your ally by 3 as well as doing the attack. So with a shield, you're giving the enemy a choice between eating an attack and doing less damage or attacking you and being difficult to hit, and then you can also Shield Block for even less damage.
The paladin wants to be up close, since both the target and the ally needs to be within 15 ft.
The other thing is that once you get up to heavy armour, you'll be only 1 less AC than the Dex-based monk (and 1 higher than everyone else), and upon hitting level 7 you have more AC than the Dex monk (and 3 more than everyone else). And that's before adding the shield on.

kingcom posted:

One thing that probably hasn't come up (it being the beginner box) is Exploration Activities. One thing you can do while moving around is set that to Defending, which makes you move at half speed while walking around but always start the combat with your shield up.

kingcom posted:

You're fine. Even the most unoptimized character in our group (a druid with an animal companion and a trident, using spells for support) is still pulling his weight. There's a lot less emphasis on building in character power, and more on what actions you take in the moment. I'm personally of the opinion that picking build options that give you more in-combat options are the strongest because of how flexible they can make you, but perhaps someone will be able to convince me otherwise.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
It's also worth noting that you can eventually pick up additional reactions through feats. For example, a Champion with the Bastion archetype can take the Divine Reflexes, Quick Block, and Quick Shield Block feats to have four reactions per round: the baseline reaction everyone gets, plus one additional Champion's Reaction and two additional Shield Block reactions. It might not be enough to use on every attack against you and your party in a round, but it's more than enough to no-sell any crits or really heavy attacks coming your party's way.

And yeah, while guides can still be very useful, 2nd Edition is a lot more forgiving than 1st Edition is and I don't think it's that necessary to read a guide beforehand.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 23, 2021

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Anyone with Secrets of Magic, how do the Magus and Summoner Archetypes look?

Kiro
May 7, 2007
Good morning fellow pathfinders, I made a PF2E character sheet tool and I posted about it! :sparkles:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977483

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
How do people feel about crafting in this edition? I got the Cauldron feat for my Witch (admittedly relatively late) with the idea of getting Temporary Potions later, but it doesn't seem to eliminate the payment requirements for the potions, so now my options seem to be to either spend a shitton of money, homebrew something with my GM, or consider getting a Dedication.

Admittedly, I was already considering getting a dedication, character-wise, both Linguist and Loremaster would fit her character well, however mechanically getting something like Scroll Trickster or Alchemist is probably more useful overall, with Alchemist in particular arguably doing a better job of serving my alchemical needs than the Witch's talents.

On top of that, just plain Crafting doesn't feel... overly useful? We're playing Age of Ashes and it's... hard to get the right amount of downtime to actually do something, not to mention how many formulas you have to buy to get stuff done. I enjoy the role and it's arguably far clearer and streamlined compared to PF 1st ed. but it doesn't necessarily feel super-worth it at the moment. But maybe I'm not weighing the cost-benefit equation correctly.

EDIT: Actually I was wrong on Temporary Potions, the feat states that they have no value, so it follows that they don't cost anything either. Bit of a weird wording there, but it's fine.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 25, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Temporary potions are real bad because they cost full price. It just waives the time to create. It does not share wording with the free resource generators (Snare Crafter, Talisman Dabbler, Alchemist reagents, etc.).

Honestly, Crafting only matters if you are playing in a campaign where:

1. Your DM codifies downtime.
  2. You don't have easy access to items.
  3. You have some sort of base to work out of.
  4. You aren't pressed for time against deadlines.

The rules are there if you are trying to make that sort of long-form campaign, but otherwise Crafting can be largely omitted as a concept.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As an engine to convert downtime into free money, Crafting comes out solidly ahead of various Earn Income options because of Impeccable Crafter (auto-upgrade successes to critical successes), but with everything coming with four-day minimums.

Toshimo posted:

Temporary potions are real bad because they cost full price. It just waives the time to create. It does not share wording with the free resource generators (Snare Crafter, Talisman Dabbler, Alchemist reagents, etc.).

Doesn't matter.

When using the Craft activity:

quote:

You must supply raw materials worth at least half the item's Price.

But in the Temporary Potions wording:

quote:

A temporary oil or potion has no value.

It's written badly, but the end result RAW is that they're free.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Roadie posted:

As an engine to convert downtime into free money, Crafting comes out solidly ahead of various Earn Income options because of Impeccable Crafter (auto-upgrade successes to critical successes), but with everything coming with four-day minimums.

Doesn't matter.

When using the Craft activity:

But in the Temporary Potions wording:

It's written badly, but the end result RAW is that they're free.

Everything in this post is very YMMV and not RAW. The fact that there's half a dozen ways to create free daily items and all of them tell you explicitly they are free and this one does not is pretty obvious. It just circumvents time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Toshimo posted:

Everything in this post is very YMMV and not RAW. The fact that there's half a dozen ways to create free daily items and all of them tell you explicitly they are free and this one does not is pretty obvious. It just circumvents time.

Ok fine so they pay raw materials worth at least half the item's Price.

What's the item's Price again?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Age of Ashes does sort of imply codified downtime between books, but that's also the part the GM uses to add original content to explore our character's backstories, and in general the group can get pretty antsy at spending 4 days or more to get an item done, so it's kind of a wash and something we're still learning how to find a proper middle-of-the-road compromise.

It has been useful in the past though, not to mention that the Crafting skill itself can often work outside of specific Crafting item needs and help during the adventure too (that's how we dealt with the Golem near Alseta's Ring, my character just drew the symbol it was asking for using Crafting).

So, I dunno. With the proper downtime, I think I can do interesting things (we've skinned a dragon we killed and are making plans to make an armor for our Goblin Champion), but I'm unsure on its value versus just buying the items.

P.S. : Just discovered that RaW Bandoleer doesn't allow you to draw potions/scrolls/wands and use them in a single action. Bummer. :(

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
As of the newest printing the bandolier is not a distinct item. It assumed to be part of the clothing you wear that allows for items to be drawn in one action, which includes potions and scrolls. I don't remember if there's a limit to these "worn" items vs "stowed" items (which require taking off the backpack / bag of holding / etc). So it's even easier to draw with one action than the original RaW.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
spellstrike provoking AoO has broken some people's brains and now they're whining that ranged will be the only way to play the class despite the number of monsters with AoO being not that common and nullified by some common low level spells

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I am very not a fan of spellstrike provoking. At higher level content you get more creatures with AoO and ones that disrupt on a hit not a crit. You can shut down reactions, but asking the other spellcasters in your party to pop a spell slot and more importantly two actions is a big ask just so you can do your class gimmick.

I’m hoping it’ll get errata or clarified that it doesn’t provoke. The class currently is feast or famine enough with basically a single attack a turn which does about two hits worth of damage.
The lack of spells for its spellstrike attack is also annoying when in a homage to old Magus, if you want damage you are mostly best off heightening Shocking Grasp. I’m shocked they didn’t put a few more spells for it in the book it was printed in.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Someone looked up the AOO stats a while back. I can't remember where I got it and how up to date it is though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. Combined with interruption on hit being common, your core class feature triggering on ~30% of creatures at high levels seems bad. Admittedly, most games don’t get anywhere near that level, but still.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

To me it doesn't seem like an especially big deal but it feels pretty unnecessary for it to provoke

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. Combined with interruption on hit being common, your core class feature triggering on ~30% of creatures at high levels seems bad. Admittedly, most games don’t get anywhere near that level, but still.
Its not that bad especially since a decent chunk of classes have similar problems.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its not that bad especially since a decent chunk of classes have similar problems.

Very few of those classes are expected to be standing in melee range of the enemy during most turns.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Do Maguses not get the Feat that gives you a Flat check to avoid being disrupted?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Do Maguses not get the Feat that gives you a Flat check to avoid being disrupted?

That feat is terrible, it’s just too unreliable.

Also the problem is giving any opponent a free full accuracy attack is really punitive on a melee chassis. It becomes back breaking when it also disrupts your turn.

When you take on something like a lesser death and you don’t know it’s gimmick, losing a high level spell slot and basically your turn is brutal.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Andrast posted:

Someone looked up the AOO stats a while back. I can't remember where I got it and how up to date it is though.

There’s also the fact that you probably wouldn’t care if 30% (or more!) of the foes at any given level did have AoO; there’s certainly plenty of situations where “I know this is coming and I trust my defenses” is adequate. As a percentage of creatures where “this enemy having an AoO represents a significant threat”, the percentage is substantially higher.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HidaO-Win posted:

I am very not a fan of spellstrike provoking. At higher level content you get more creatures with AoO and ones that disrupt on a hit not a crit. You can shut down reactions, but asking the other spellcasters in your party to pop a spell slot and more importantly two actions is a big ask just so you can do your class gimmick.

I don't get the viewpoint of "you have to burn a spell to just help the magus" when it's more "you're burning a spell to nullify the AoO which helps everyone"

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I don't get the viewpoint of "you have to burn a spell to just help the magus" when it's more "you're burning a spell to nullify the AoO which helps everyone"

Because you can usually play melee in a way that mostly avoids triggering AoOs or triggering them only once which is the turn the melee all move into range. The magus is going to give an opponent with AoO a free attack every turn just by using their melee class feature.

Using the Parry trait on a weapon used to provoke, they changed that because it was daft. Having spellstrike provoke is like having Flurry of Blows, Power Attack or Twin Takedown provoke.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Adam Daigle, Director of Game Development at Paizo, suffered a seizure far from home and is now facing a lot of out-of-pocket medical debt. You can contribute to his relief gofundme here.

USA is pretty hosed up, yo.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Aw man that sucks.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've just started with Pathfinder, played a couple beginner games with randos at the local game shop with premades.

But now I'd like to make my own.

There seem to be 100 different random tools so not sure where to even start!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I've just started with Pathfinder, played a couple beginner games with randos at the local game shop with premades.

But now I'd like to make my own.

There seem to be 100 different random tools so not sure where to even start!

1st editon or 2nd edition?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Toshimo posted:

1st editon or 2nd edition?

2nd edition

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Free character builder here: https://pathbuilder2e.com/
Free rules documents here: https://2e.aonprd.com/

Go nuts. If you have questions, for instance "I want a character who is really good at X, what do I take to make that a thing?", feel free to post here.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Still no playable bugbears smdh

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Azran posted:

Still no playable bugbears smdh

The bigger bear crime is no playable owlbears IMO.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Free character builder here: https://pathbuilder2e.com/
Free rules documents here: https://2e.aonprd.com/

Go nuts. If you have questions, for instance "I want a character who is really good at X, what do I take to make that a thing?", feel free to post here.

I'm messing around with a Swashbuckler and "Ancient Elf" heritage with the Rogue Dedication to be able to sneak attack things?

I'd like to in some way taunt a foe and call them a coward then like disarm and kill them in one hit if possible? Some kinda of dance around an enemy say I hosed their mom and then kill them build.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I'm messing around with a Swashbuckler and "Ancient Elf" heritage with the Rogue Dedication to be able to sneak attack things?

I'd like to in some way taunt a foe and call them a coward then like disarm and kill them in one hit if possible? Some kinda of dance around an enemy say I hosed their mom and then kill them build.

Sneak attack damage is capped at 1d6 on the dedication feat so that probably isn't enough to one shot things. My swash is also dipping into ranger for gravity weapon. I like insult with ranged weapons. I'm gonna have a throw range of 60.

You can do the deception, feint build to flatfoot enemies for the sneak d6.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 3, 2021

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Sneak attack damage is capped at 1d6 on the dedication feat so that probably isn't enough to one shot things. My swash is also dipping into ranger for gravity weapon. I like insult with ranged weapons. I'm gonna have a throw range of 60.

You can do the deception, feint build to flatfoot enemies for the sneak d6.

Ok not sure what I've done, I get real confused with all the traits and ancestries and whatever else:

Anything here just total trash?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nobody can really 1-shot anything without a crit, and even then, the finesse-leaning classes aren't putting up big numbers compared to something like a Barbarian or Magus.

Not to discourage you, Swashbuckler will do what you're asking, but the system isn't built for players to be able to dominate enemies so utterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Anything you can kill in one hit in this game is not worth taunting