Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm starting to get mad at Blue Box characters not just talking to each other. Early chapters seemed to have people speaking their minds pretty freely, which I liked. I know that characters not revealing feelings is like the primary driver of drama for this genre, and that the characters are teenagers and all, but it still is already getting tiring imo. The characters are cute and charming and I want to like it more than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Is it really out of the ordinary for high schoolers to be guarded about their feelings? I don't recall being very forward to any of my crushes 😩

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Nah I mean, it does make sense for teenagers. It just gets a bit tiring narratively for me, knowing a lot of the problems would be avoided if they just talked instead of bottling it up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ol Girl literally just figured out this/last chapter that she has feelings for the MC.

And she pretty much did tell him, as his friend like instantly picked up on it, after one interaction.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Candy Flurry: Is having it's death throes :ohdear:

Elusive Samurai: Was funny and exciting.

Sakamoto Days: I'm so happy I stuck with this. This was a cool chapter. Poor Shin.

Mashle: Was sweet.

Undead Unluck: Cool and pretty hardcore.

Roboco: Meh.

Witch Watch: Great chapter. Also I love that artwork of the fight between Mori and the Wolf. Also tiny warlock is hilarious. It would be cool if they keep her as a pet.

Magu chan: I love Izuma chapters. I just like how badly he fits in the world and this chapter made some good RPG world jokes. "Oh? A compass for the forest of illusions? We'll go around, thanks for the tip."

Neru: "Watch out for the girls"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I enjoy elusive samurai for the most part, but anytime they do gags like this week's bit with the "I don't know your name, here's a nickname" was hilarious.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I laughed at the “All you did was waste precious page space” line in Red Hood. Pretty obvious Signal from Fred about the manga’s pacing so far there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I laughed at the “All you did was waste precious page space” line in Red Hood. Pretty obvious Signal from Fred about the manga’s pacing so far there.

I'm honestly more interested in this development than I am the busty brown amazonian woman so maybe the story needed this kind of meta commentary about fairy tales and scripting instead of that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

I'm honestly more interested in this development than I am the busty brown amazonian woman so maybe the story needed this kind of meta commentary about fairy tales and scripting instead of that.

Yeah this is where i want the manga to go.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm starting to become more convinced my "Ōkubo is losing the plot" thoughts are on the mark with this weeks fire force.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm starting to become more convinced my "Ōkubo is losing the plot" thoughts are on the mark with this weeks fire force.

Yeah I really have no idea where this could even be going. It's definitely some more meta stuff

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The battle with the droplganger of Kurono, coming off as a strawman version of selfsame, got my suspicions up before but with this fight this whole production is starting to feel like Ōkubo wildly taking swings at his critics.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 31, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ConanThe3rd posted:

The battle with the droplganger of Kurono, coming off as a strawman version of selfsame, got my suspicions up before but with this fight this whole production is starting to feel like Ōkubo wildly taking swings at his critics.

This is how I'm feeling about it, but I wouldn't say taking swings at his critics, more like doing some clumsy social commentary.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Whatever it is it stinks of "You will learn of why Quiet (MGS5) is naked and you will feel shame".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's occurred to me that Neru's premise is a bit odd. It superficially seems like the standard shonen manga premise - protagonist trains to be the very best at whatever. But when you think about it, it's a bit pointless in the context of the setting. Normally when shonen protagonists are in school learning to be good at a thing, it's a thing that has some purpose to it, whether in real-world terms (cooking in Food Wars), or in the bizarre world of the story (assassinating supersonic tentacle monsters in Assassination Classroom). Normally when a main character proclaims they're going to be the best pirate or ninja or whatever, that isn't actually what the plot is about in practice; what Naruto and Luffy* actually do is fight whoever the current villain happens to be, just as a shonen protagonist with no particular motivation like Ichigo would.

But here everyone is trying to be the best martial artist in a modern world where that's a completely useless skill (you can't even make a living doing it as a sport, because it's all vaguely secret somehow). It amounts to a "climbing the mountain because it's there" kind of thing.

Am I missing something here? It's possible I forgot something important from the first few chapters. And it's possible that there are evil martial artists to fight that just haven't been mentioned yet.

* OK, Luffy is slightly more proactive than the norm, because he's his own boss; he recruits subordinates instead of just befriending people, and he deliberately advances to the next island instead of being sent on missions like Naruto or Asta.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 31, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyre all going to grow up to fight in bloodsport

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Negi Haruba, the author of Quintuplets and now Ranger Reject, has put the latter series on indefinite hiatus over his ailing health.

gently caress gently caress gently caress.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Please God NO!!! Let the man take the longest hiatus he loving wants. Full benefits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is how I'm feeling about it, but I wouldn't say taking swings at his critics, more like doing some clumsy social commentary.

Honestly I just thought it was fun meta stuff. He has been doing that a bit with the weirdness of the Cataclysm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow I can't believe that Red Hood Hunter's Guild ends on chapter 10 now that Debonair and Grimm are going to kill all the new recruits next chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this entire apocalypse has been about weird meta poo poo and the heroes have been resisting it via their character archetypes. arthur understood this from the start. except, uh, tamaki's archetype is the inappropriate fanservice character. so this whole thing started weird and is getting weirder. suddenly, a greek chorus of disapproving middle aged women!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Aw drat. And I just started reading Ranger Reject...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I just started reading it based on this post, which was a pretty bad idea in retrospect because now I'm upset. But manga authors need to prioritise their health so I'll endure this suffering.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've mostly been holding off any of the new series in case they get immediately cancelled but finally started reading sakamoto days and 8 chapters in this is great

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sakamoto days is probably my favourite of the newer series, the mangaka can do action extremely well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jose posted:

i've mostly been holding off any of the new series in case they get immediately cancelled but finally started reading sakamoto days and 8 chapters in this is great

Sakamoto took some time to get going. I even considered dropping it. But I'm so happy I stuck with it, it's really great.

Twin twin star exorcists release. A lot of stuff happening most of it incomprehensible. But people are dying, so that's progress

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I was surprised by how enjoyable the series is, having the protagonist being super strong in a comedy/slice of life setting isn’t exactly new (One Punch Man/Dragonball/Mashle) but it’s done really well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah if you bear with it for just a little youll find it gets real good.
Eventually the managaka figures out how they want to panel everything and it becomes one of the best flowing comics in SJ right now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Twin twin star exorcists release. A lot of stuff happening most of it incomprehensible. But people are dying, so that's progress

That’s basically been Twin Star Exorcists for the past 9 months, lol.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Lets face it, it wasn't ever a shining becon of sense making sequential art.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think part of the problem is that the writer expects the readers to be more invested in the setting and the side characters than people usually are with a monthly series like this. The basic idea of the setting is very straightforward - there's evil monsters that live in a monster world, and there's people with magic powers who fight the monsters, sometimes the monsters develop into more powerful and human-like monsters. Like Bleach, but without the afterlife aspects to complicate things. But then they keep introducing everything-you-knew-about-the-setting-is-wrong twists, except they never actually meaningfully alter the basic premise because the monsters are still evil; they just make the main characters more angsty and the plot more confusing. And everything gets bogged down with undercard fights, also like Bleach, except it's combined with early-Attack-on-Titan-style horror and drama elements (like if the Arrancars and Sternritter killed half the Captains and Lieutenants instead of just knocking them out, and also killed a bunch of kids), so I can't decide if I should be emotionally exhausted or just bored. But I mostly lean towards bored because I can't remember who any of these people are anyway.

And the issue of a simple premise with a lot of meaningless complexity layered on top applies on the level of the fights as well. It's basically just punches and energy blasts, but there's a lot of talk about wavelengths and bloodlines and mecha-like thingies, plus a bunch of nonsense incantations like Kido in Bleach. (That's the third time I've compared Twin Star Exorcists to Bleach, lol, although I actually thought the Kido incantations in Bleach were kind of cool.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think bleach had better writing than twin star exorcists and bleach was less a story than a series of inconsequential fight scenes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think bleach had better writing than twin star exorcists.

That's sort of what I was getting at, yeah. At least in Bleach, the slow pacing made it easier to remember who the people fighting were, because there were generally only 1 or 2 1-on-1 fights getting focus at a time. Also, the Arrancars actually looked somewhat different from each other. They even had distinct enough personalities to define them as evil counterparts to the Soul Reapers, even if it was sometimes a little too on-the-nose. The Basara are mostly just ~craaazy~.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 3, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I think part of the problem is that the writer expects the readers to be more invested in the setting and the side characters than people usually are with a monthly series like this. The basic idea of the setting is very straightforward - there's evil monsters that live in a monster world, and there's people with magic powers who fight the monsters, sometimes the monsters develop into more powerful and human-like monsters. Like Bleach, but without the afterlife aspects to complicate things. But then they keep introducing everything-you-knew-about-the-setting-is-wrong twists, except they never actually meaningfully alter the basic premise because the monsters are still evil; they just make the main characters more angsty and the plot more confusing. And everything gets bogged down with undercard fights, also like Bleach, except it's combined with early-Attack-on-Titan-style horror and drama elements (like if the Arrancars and Sternritter killed half the Captains and Lieutenants instead of just knocking them out, and also killed a bunch of kids), so I can't decide if I should be emotionally exhausted or just bored. But I mostly lean towards bored because I can't remember who any of these people are anyway.

And the issue of a simple premise with a lot of meaningless complexity layered on top applies on the level of the fights as well. It's basically just punches and energy blasts, but there's a lot of talk about wavelengths and bloodlines and mecha-like thingies, plus a bunch of nonsense incantations like Kido in Bleach. (That's the third time I've compared Twin Star Exorcists to Bleach, lol, although I actually thought the Kido incantations in Bleach were kind of cool.)

I binged through twin stars and it’s a very enjoyable binge even if the action if often a muddy mess. I’d also say that the twists are foreshadowed, but no one in the right mind is ever going to remember that because the pacing is glacial. Like when Benito was powerless. When you binge it she’s back quite quick, but apparently it’s like 3 years of real time where what is supposed to be one of the leads was missing. Yikes. Not to mention that, in my case at least, I enjoyed the way Rokuro and Benio’s relationship developed as they matured. That’s painful.
And like you said, the author has this weird feeling on which characters we’re supposed to be caring about. Like the guy with the dragon hands and the face mask. We’re introduced like he’s a big deal and he shows some of it then. But ever since he’s accomplished nothing while the author still insists on wasting entire chapters on that guy. Like why?

Still, I’m impatiently waiting for the truth behind Gabura. We’ve seen a whole host of hints and other stuff. It had better be good.

But Reading it month by month, exhausting is probably the most apt description of twin star exorcists.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I learned a lot about Canada in this month's World Trigger.

https://imgur.com/vvF9xqj

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i briefly dated a canadian and i can confirm that is true.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Beastars Mangaka has a new series out and it’s very weird

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/bVgxJi7/1/1/

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

The Beastars Mangaka has a new series out and it’s very weird

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/bVgxJi7/1/1/

That was indeed very weird.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe I'm just used to the animal people from beastars but humans look pretty weird in this art style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All these poor characters look like they're running on three hours of sleep.

I hope it turns out he has to go around fighting all the other holiday characters to solve this mystery.