Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Admittedly I haven't been playing close attention to Stardom lately, so if being "home grown" has become a stated part of QQ's identity now, mea culpa, but that's never really been their brand before (Io Shirai, Konami, Bea Priestley, Viper, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Johnny Landmine posted:

Admittedly I haven't been playing close attention to Stardom lately, so if being "home grown" has become a stated part of QQ's identity now, mea culpa, but that's never really been their brand before (Io Shirai, Konami, Bea Priestley, Viper, etc.).

Maybe it's not officially their identity, but it seems like more than a coincidence that all of them are STARDOM originals.

In other news, they put Mayu and Utami on the poster...but not the matches!

https://twitter.com/1222Dragonmoon/status/1432737002227601409?s=20

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
From memory the poster was published before all of the COVID cancellations and certainly before they knew the scale of them - and also before this new policy they have for the next while (during the 5 Star I assume) of only doing singles matches and trying to limit the number of people on each show by telling people not booked to stay away. The 4th couldn't have had Mayu or Utami on it because they are working the Stardom show at the same time (Utami-Syuri is the main event of that show and I suspect not a match where they'd want Utami to be working before another big match on the same day; Mayu is wrestling Rina which I admit is something that you can debate the merits of but she may have been explicitly advertised for that show in some capacity. I suspect the decision to have a clear split wasn't one that was always the case - I highly doubt that Lady C was always the plan for one of those matches. Its not great by any means but I sympathise with them for working around that - plus I suspect they didn't sell any tickets for the show with that poster.

Marvelous will be fine: they managed to survive their 1st rookie generation being out for a year+ each (Mio was almost two) at a point where they were more important to the promotion than Shindo, Mei and Hibiki are. Plus I have confidence that they'll debut new people: Ai Hozan is coming along well; Kumi Goto is hopefully debuting soon and they always have people training. Its not a good thing and I think it sucks for Marvelous but they'll get through. The key thing to remember is that Marvelous has a good relationship with Stardom and so I suspect this wasn't a raid or anything like that - and when you are a smaller promotion you have to be ready for people to leave if they get an opportunity from a bigger promotion. Takumi ended up in Marvelous because Stardom agreed to let her go with Nagayo as well so while I don't think this would be a "we want payback" thing it probably does make Marvelous more open to making a deal of that sort - especially if Stardom are willing to offer things that'd financially benefit Stardom. It may well be that part of Marvelous' long term plan is to be an affiliated promotion with Stardom that sends them talent every so often and while I think as a fan that's not great from that perspective for them it probably is great - especially if its a case of them retaining certain people for top spots.

Another factor to remember is that Marvelous have a live in dojo and for a lot of time since the pandemic hit the wrestlers have been in lockdown with each other and I suspect even outside that time they don't have the most free of lives so it may also be a case of them wanting to get out of that environment. Lockdown was pretty intense for me living with my parents at times: I imagine in an environment where you are in fairly close quarters with a lot of other people in an intense environment like a wrestling dojo might make you a bit sick of things at some point.

Mei in QQ would be pretty obvious since she has a mask (although so did Riho and look how that ended up); I actually think Shindo would fit there as well but people might disagree with me. Who knows about Hibiki: her heel thing is funny and I hope she carries on doing that.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Power Windows posted:

Maybe it's not officially their identity, but it seems like more than a coincidence that all of them are STARDOM originals.

In other news, they put Mayu and Utami on the poster...but not the matches!

https://twitter.com/1222Dragonmoon/status/1432737002227601409?s=20

I need to see this official announcement for myself because in what planet would they put Lady C in one of those match in what would be their biggest spotlight at least worldwide to date.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/rossystardom/status/1432861148030902272?s=19

"I wonder what those young wrestlers' goal is. 'The grass is always greener on the other side'. I'm sending my best wishes to Takumi Iroha as she strives for the future of Marvelous."

If he's signed those three then this is just loving cold lmao

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/rossystardom/status/1432861148030902272?s=19

"I wonder what those young wrestlers' goal is. 'The grass is always greener on the other side'. I'm sending my best wishes to Takumi Iroha as she strives for the future of Marvelous."

If he's signed those three then this is just loving cold lmao

I think they're a bit old for his tastes.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

3 of his last 4 signings are over 30

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Do they have to leave? I thought that they had the freedom to go on excursions or to just freelance into other promotions.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Do they have to leave? I thought that they had the freedom to go on excursions or to just freelance into other promotions.

They do work other promotions which is why people assume they're going somewhere that wants exclusivity for its wrestlers like Stardom.

Marvelous does also control their outside bookings and there are promotions they don't work with like OZ Academy and since the end of 2019, SEAdLINNNG. The girls also have to live in the Marvelous dojo, so it could be just a case of them wanting more freedom to work and live where they want. Especially given Shindo was Yoshiko's protégé and Mei was Natsuki Taiyo's so whatever severed the relationship with SEAd impacted them.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

They do work other promotions which is why people assume they're going somewhere that wants exclusivity for its wrestlers like Stardom.

Marvelous does also control their outside bookings and there are promotions they don't work with like OZ Academy and since the end of 2019, SEAdLINNNG. The girls also have to live in the Marvelous dojo, so it could be just a case of them wanting more freedom to work and live where they want. Especially given Shindo was Yoshiko's protégé and Mei was Natsuki Taiyo's so whatever severed the relationship with SEAd impacted them.

Any idea why they would have issues with Oz Academy or SEAdLINNNG?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Any idea why they would have issues with Oz Academy or SEAdLINNNG?

OZ Academy I think was a falling out between Ozaki and KAORU years ago. No idea what happened with SEAd, they were pretty closely intertwined and then one day all the Marvelous girls suddenly disappeared from the SEAd factions they were in.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Speaking of people leaving their original promotions...

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1432932532920590339?s=20

September 4th is her last date with TJPW.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Don't kill me TJPW fans but I quite happy about that assuming she's still wrestling. She's gonna kill it wherever she goes.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That sucks, I was enjoying watching her work. Oh well.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hopefully this is a case of LIDET flashing their cash and not Bushiroad. She'll be lost in the crowd at Stardom.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hopefully she goes somewhere that still regularly makes tape, enjoy watching her hoss style

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Hopefully this is a case of LIDET flashing their cash and not Bushiroad. She'll be lost in the crowd at Stardom.

That's what I'm wondering. There's been so many people leaving their promotion that I'm wondering if there's a new player with money jumping into the Joshi business. That would make this

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/...kapost516766374

Make a ton of sense.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 1, 2021

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
That's a rough loss for TJPW, dang. Good luck to her.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

J-Ro posted:

this sucks as a tjpw fan but i'd love to see her work somewhere with a harder house style.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I hope she goes to Ice Ribbon/P's Party just to make my fantasy stable of wrestlers I like who all debuted in May 2019 a reality: Maddy, Banny, Yappy, and uhhh Marry

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1432967735718285313

I don't believe it. They actually put Lady C in the night one match. No offense to Lady C but she's still very much a rookie with a rookie limited moveset as well.. I would have done Momo/Saya vs Tam/Starlight Kid or if they really wanted to keep it strictly with factions, then Momo/Saya vs Starlight Kid/Saki Kashima.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 1, 2021

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

They probably don’t want to put their cheating heel faction in a featured match like that: and when you remove them Lady C was like the only option left.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/LadyC_stardom/status/1432976588136611841

My unqualified translation/paraphrase of the tweet.

quote:

On September 4th at New Japan's Metlife Dome event I've been chosen to appear in the Stardom offer match. I know there are many people surprised by this but none more than me. Honestly when I first heard the news my thought was "is it okay for me to be in the match when there are many more qualified wrestlers?" With Stardom having so many strong, awesome, well respected wrestlers I wondered what's the point of me being in the match.

I'm uneasy & nervous but I'm also extremely happy that I'm able to compete in a New Japan Pro Wrestling event. Since I've been given this massive opportunity, I'm gonna give it my all and will definitely win!

In the Yokohama Tag Team Gauntlet match with Maika, though it wasn't by my own hand I got my first taste of victory. Teaming with Maika, I believe we will undoubtedly win. This time I want to return the favor by getting the victory by my own hands.

Stardom also has an event the same day in Shinjuku so lets all do our best!

Nevermind my previous comments, Lady C needs to compete and win by stacking Momo and Saya on top of each other and pinning them both ending her 0-76 losing streak.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

They probably don’t want to put their cheating heel faction in a featured match like that: and when you remove them Lady C was like the only option left.

Night One has sold far less tickets than Night Two and I can only assume that's because of a lack of EVIL so cheating heels might be just the sales booster Night One needs

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

J-Ro posted:

I'm crushed, but I now understand why BeeStar haven't been teaming for months

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Well drat that sucks as a tjpw fan. Is Madeline in IR now?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

She’s still in Diana; works Ps Party regularly though

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Just watched the Maki Itoh match from the latest, very silly, TJPW show, and it's superb.

She and Kamiyu come out singing a duet of A Cruel Angel's Thesis. Maki really gets into it and climbs a turnbuckle to sing it to the crowd, oblivious to Toribami and Maiumi beating up Kamiyu behind her

The whole show is increasingly silly, with costume changes, extra Up Up Girls, and everything.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

YuuRI who wrestled her last match in JTO yesterday said she'd make an announcement about her future tomorrow. She looked like a star from the moment she debuted in the same way Maika did, and is a pretty great wrestler already as TAKA trainees tend to be. Her offence is based around trying to take her opponents out with sleeper holds, which is pretty unique in 2021 so I hope doesn't change where she ends up.

Worth noting that Stardom and TJPW both have shows tomorrow she could debut at. I'd put my money on Stardom, not only for their recent hiring spree but because she seems like a much better fit for them than TJPW. (DDM if you want me to suggest a faction)

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Well it's not a hiring spree yet. The only official signing they've done so far this year is Mai Sakurai. Everyone else is just speculation.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Lamuella posted:

Just watched the Maki Itoh match from the latest, very silly, TJPW show, and it's superb.

She and Kamiyu come out singing a duet of A Cruel Angel's Thesis. Maki really gets into it and climbs a turnbuckle to sing it to the crowd, oblivious to Toribami and Maiumi beating up Kamiyu behind her

The whole show is increasingly silly, with costume changes, extra Up Up Girls, and everything.

It felt like a Hyper Misao produce show or something, just wonderfully silly all the way through. UpUp Miyu is an absolute treasure.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Stall_19 posted:

Well it's not a hiring spree yet. The only official signing they've done so far this year is Mai Sakurai. Everyone else is just speculation.

Seeing something Sonny posted elsewhere I suspect at least one (and I think all) of the Marvelous departures are Stardom bound

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I was under the impression that they got him to stop posting about the company so much.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
They've tried many times before but the sweet, seductive call of Posting always wins in the end

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He's just deleted his personal account again. I'm not sure what IceAgeComing is referring to but it maybe related to that.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I guess they'll have to put him in the Saya Kamitani tier of "don't tell him anything" when it comes to surprises.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I remember he'd accidentally spoil new signings like Mina and Unagi by following their accounts before they were announced. I'd imagine Stardom is already following the Marvelous rookies anyway though?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

He’s posting on the Observer board these days; I guess because it’s more out the way and because he’s pals with them.

The Observer talks about rumours that they are going that way so take that how you will

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I remember he'd accidentally spoil new signings like Mina and Unagi by following their accounts before they were announced. I'd imagine Stardom is already following the Marvelous rookies anyway though?

On more than one occasion he's told a friend of mine about new hires and results to upcoming big matches for, as far as I can tell, no reason other than to flex that he knows about them. Some people are just born posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021

Stall_19 posted:

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1432967735718285313

I don't believe it. They actually put Lady C in the night one match. No offense to Lady C but she's still very much a rookie with a rookie limited moveset as well.. I would have done Momo/Saya vs Tam/Starlight Kid or if they really wanted to keep it strictly with factions, then Momo/Saya vs Starlight Kid/Saki Kashima.

I gues they have huge hopes/big plans for C. Also it's Intresting to see Momo being featured in both matches knowing that last time Stardom did dark couple matches for NJPW, Momo wasn't featured at all (don't get my wrong Momo deserves all of that )