Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Sherlock Holmes may be a watershed of mystery fiction but they are absolutely not true detective stories of the kind Umineko concerns itself with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

frankly id be way more into them bringing back bolonco than bringing holmes in

Which season was Bolonco in again (based on the artstyle I’m guessing 2 or 3)?

And speaking of Lupin, is the side series A Woman Called Fujiko Mine any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 1, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

No but as I get across with my Hyouka suggestion earlier I think there exists anime that end up as being better adaptions of the spirit of Sherlock Holmes stories by not actually adapting the stories than the actual adaptions themselves. Umineko (its been a while so I only have a vague recollection) has a lot of focus on the truth of statements, and evidence and so on which I think is pretty in keeping with the spirit of Sherlock Holmes and the mystery genre.

Vs some anime which just have the characters wearing the outfit going on an adventure and there isn't really much of an actual mystery challenging to the viewer to try to solve it themselves.

This sounds like you're arguing the entire mystery genre is a Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I liked it a lot as it does a real good job of feeling different from the typical Lupin series while still also feeling like a Lupin show in the end.

Also Zenigata being more serious helped out a lot as the last few specials before Fujiko Mine just had him be way too silly

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Me reading the intro for 999: getting a lot of Sherlock Holmes vibes from this

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

he should be called lubin the third

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

woman called fujiko mine is what a good lupin with serial elements should aspire to

it's not going to replace the simple episodic stuff and the fun and levity that often has, but it looks different and great and having some darkness in lupin is a welcome contrast

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Seeing Oshii on Lupin after Vlad love and liking the last few TV series has tempered my expectations

maybe he'll be a better writer when he's not half-assedly rehashing a mediocre vn he wrote years ago into a bad yuri comedy anime

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

more viridi warcrimes please

:hmmyes:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i will be the only person who was amused during vladlove and stick to it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Willo567 posted:

Nadia uses the Blue Water to give Nia the lifespan of a human

Heck yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are some amusing gags in vlad love but whenever i think back on it it is really weird that it engages with the yuri aspect the least of any yuri comedy i've ever watched. especially since oshibudo and adashima aired in the same year vlad love started coming out, both of which are, kinda way better shows even for adashima's painfully slow pacing and how very little of the story it actually covers. at least adashima is more consistently funny and has better side characters.

that said it's not a terrible show in the moment of watching (outside of a couple eps, i never want to see the flashback ep or jellyfish ep again) but i just kinda feel increasingly annoyed by it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 1, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hercule poirot kicks sherlock holmes rear end, because agatha christie can actually write a mystery

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hyouka is a lot closer to an Agatha Christie work in spirit. (Lots of stuff about the motivations of characters, very little "aha I noticed a tiny bit of evidence that changes everything", and also a lot of playing around with the structure of a detective story)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

can't wait until they make lupin vs miss marple

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lupin vs the hardy boys

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

hercule poirot kicks sherlock holmes rear end, because agatha christie can actually write a mystery

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Patware posted:

lupin vs the hardy boys

In a ladder match.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Patware posted:

lupin vs the hardy boys
LUPIN IN REVACHOL LUPIN IN REVACHOL

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Agatha Christie ftw

Especially when “and then there were none” had 3 separate postscript chapters because the general audience (me) was too stupid to figure out how it happened

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i killed them

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

Hyouka is a lot closer to an Agatha Christie work in spirit. (Lots of stuff about the motivations of characters, very little "aha I noticed a tiny bit of evidence that changes everything", and also a lot of playing around with the structure of a detective story)

Hyouka and Umineko are both part of the Shin Honkaku tradition, an intentional return to Christie-style fair-play whodunits that started in the 80s with Soji Shimada's "The Tokyo Zodiac Murders"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Anyway I think the true heir of Sherlock Holmes (or Herlock Sholmes) is probably the Ace Attorney games.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
have only heard about taniguchi and his body of work, but i'm still real excited about this thing i didn't know existed until today

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1432777336861216770

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I spoiled myself on Muv Luv Alternative and I don't know how to feel

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zeether posted:

I spoiled myself on Muv Luv Alternative and I don't know how to feel

Feel liberated as you don't need to read the 180 hour vn or the 52 episode television series. Live and be free

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

that said it's not a terrible show in the moment of watching (outside of a couple eps, i never want to see the flashback ep or jellyfish ep again) but i just kinda feel increasingly annoyed by it

Yeah, when I finished it I didn't hate it at first, just was more annoyed and disappointed. But as time goes on I get more mad at it especially cause it did nothing with Mai and Banba's relationship

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am gazing into my crystal ball and peering through the cloudy veil of time. Someone in the Muv Luv Alternative thread will claim all mecha is inherently fascistic before the year is through. There may also be a significant derail where people argue over Attack in Titan for some reason, although that is but a possibility.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
it’s important not to lose your head while talking about muv luv

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Coaaab posted:

have only heard about taniguchi and his body of work, but i'm still real excited about this thing i didn't know existed until today

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1432777336861216770

This made me remember The Climber and now I'm sad that'll never be adapted into anything.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I am gazing into my crystal ball and peering through the cloudy veil of time. Someone in the Muv Luv Alternative thread will claim all mecha is inherently fascistic before the year is through. There may also be a significant derail where people argue over Attack in Titan for some reason, although that is but a possibility.

lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mecha are inherently cool as hell.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This person has the right of it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

every anime series should have at least one mecha in it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i'll be reccing yuuki yuuna to everyone in the mla thread

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres like 5 other mecha shows next season, are people really gonna be starved enough to watch a bad looking muv luv adaptation

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

there was a guy on twitter with a muvluv avatar chastising people for liking 'fascist mecha series' and i felt like i was losing my mind

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also muv-luv is a decent story honestly. unlimited and extra drag in parts but alternative is a pretty good thriller with a good amount of twists and turns that never really slows down *that* much relative to its medium, its long but not actually that slow. a lot actually happens to justify that length. characters are all a bit one note except for the professor and maybe shirogane, but you feel for them. a bit of its navel gazing on the glory of the japanese army or how people who live in peace can never truly mature is pretty lol, especially since the writers are not 90 years old and thus also didnt live through ww2, but it doesnt really get overbearing with it. the anime could be okay if it focuses on what makes the story good and does a good job establishing the stakes for new people, but its a vn adaptation so it will probably adapt every single random conversation about shirogane's game boy color in painstaking detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

:cheers: glad the game boy thread will be well stocked that season