Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Ursula is intriguing for the same reason, if you go fast enough, you might not draw enough enemies to slow you down. Safina does great solo, and I used the reward ally from the hotel standalone scenario to handle monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
What distinguishes Jim as a poor solo choice among the Dunwich investigators? Is it because (unlike Zoey or Rex, with their statline ability to fight or clue) he'd need card support (spells or etc.) to account for both of the essential categories?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Five Eyes posted:

What distinguishes Jim as a poor solo choice among the Dunwich investigators? Is it because (unlike Zoey or Rex, with their statline ability to fight or clue) he'd need card support (spells or etc.) to account for both of the essential categories?

You've identified the main problem with solo Mystics in that while they have strong cards to fight or investigate; they need exp and those specific cards to do so.

If you only have Shriveling but need clues, you're out of luck. Vice versa if you're engaged without an attack spell, you're in trouble. Also, Jim's special item gets more benefit the more times you pull from the bag and in solo games you pull fewer times then when you have teammates.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 30, 2021

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also in solo you generally need to get things done faster than in multiplayer, which means you ideally want to be getting free actions or other compression (Rex, Ursula, Leo, Finn, Agnes, Roland) and/or have high chance of success without too much setup (Wendy) so you aren't wasting time.

Jim is in the unfortunate position of having okay but not great stats, no in built compression and as Mystic needing a fair bit of setup to get going (with limited charges at that). He's much better suited as a support character in a multiplayer game instead.

Should be noted that the viability of solo characters varies wildly from campaign to campaign - Wendy, Finn and Ursula are all much better in TFA than others, Roland is good in Dunwich but not Carcosa etc.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Ashcan Pete is an amazing solo character because he starts with Duke and can immediately start cluing and fighting. Not having access to some way to deal with enemies before you draw one can very quickly end a solo run. Waiting around for a flashlight is similarly a really bad tempo loss.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well, someone in the MB Discord now has the EotE box in their hands. They're going to wait a few days until the currently scheduled content creator spoilers have been revealed, but they were willing to show a couple of cards that were partially spoiled on the back of the box.

For reference, we've seen about 50% of the cards from the set so far.

I haven't played any kind of scry archetype but I would guess Foresight is exactly the card that deck has been waiting for. Interesting that it's not a spell.

And "Hit Me!" is a Rogue/Survivor flavour slam dunk and a pretty powerful effect with the right preparation (and also probably somewhat campaign dependent).

edit : Here's another card that was partially spoiled a while ago. That's what I get for posting during the breaking news!

edit :

Kalko fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 31, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hit me seems particularly good if you’re fishing for blessed tokens. Gene is expensive but means that you and your guardian can split up without having to worry about every new location spawning a foe. Also great for getting rid of victory point locations… or letting you crack the case on a 9 shroud location that doesn’t have any clues, like the one in TFA2. Gene can also help Zoe or Tony deal with far spawning enemies.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Cheat the System is the first ever fast money card, I think? These synergy cards work well with the Dunwich investigators provided you can find assets they would want to take. If Jenny Barnes takes a non-Rogue dual class asset this card is three resources right away.

Sledgehammer is hilarious and Old Shotgun is a neat design. Sleight of Hand or Ever Vigilant makes it come into play with ammo.

In the Thick of It is my kind of card!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Every cycle they have more cards that are like “come on, play Calvin, come on.”

I realized that Carolyn can play the full rainbow to trigger synergy cards. Between liquor, quarterbacks, med students and spells, therapy can be very interesting.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Anirniq is great card draw for mystics once they inevitably blow up their Initiate or Renfield. And purple has lovely card draw other than the initiate so this really helps them out.

For seekers on the other hand, it’s main purpose is bouncing allies to hand, either to protect one of their great allies, reset mr rooks charges or be able to trigger Art Student or Research Librarian again.

I feel like this little card quietly does a lot.

Sledgehammer is real good for being able to deliver 3 damage off of one test with a good bonus for no xp. Forgotten Age for one has a bunch of 3hp enemies real early in the campaign. Best think about a way to get around the auto fail token when investing 2 actions though.

I feel like the upgraded version is worse though and you’re better off with a different weapon whether you are a guardian or a survivor. +1 combat +1 dmg is just not what you want from a high xp weapon taking both hand slots and not having a 2 action option but only the (hilarious) giant swing really sucks. Totally kills the versatility this might’ve otherwise offered.

Also Calvin is already super strong, I recommend giving him a try.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 31, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Anirniq is great card draw for mystics once they inevitably blow up their Initiate or Renfield...
With Sacrifice.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Apologies if this is not the exact place to ask, but I'm looking to get into this after a pretty fun time with the 3e board game and playing enough to develop favorite investigators. Any recommendations for expansions/packs to tackle first? I'd be playing mostly 2 players with an occasional dip into 4.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Get the new starter that is coming out soon, some of the standalone starter investigators, and The Path to Carcosa series if it is available.

Also check to see if anyone is selling their collection. You can often get a discount if you are willing to play with second hand cards.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

With Sacrifice.

Sacrifice is a good card, but PtA is fast and it provides more value. Like, you can let a treachery eat it or use it for soak and still get your three cards.

The other parts make the two cards distinct enough that you can still choose either one depending upon what your deck needs.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

My point is it’s fun to use both!

If you like the other Arkham games, you absolutely love the cartoon, it has a lot more variety, complexity, story, customization…The games are almost always shorter and you get more actions per turn! No longer will you spend the great majority of your time just moving around the map!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I am a simple man, so level 4 sledge hammer is speaking to me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

What is the cost of skill cards for effects that care about that sort of thing? When you have to reveal the top card of your deck and take damage equal to its cost I assume you wouldn't take any damage. Is that because the cost is "none" or "zero", is there a difference? Is the cost of the card considered to be even?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

KPC_Mammon posted:

What is the cost of skill cards for effects that care about that sort of thing? When you have to reveal the top card of your deck and take damage equal to its cost I assume you wouldn't take any damage. Is that because the cost is "none" or "zero", is there a difference? Is the cost of the card considered to be even?

the faq posted:

Skill cards and cards with a “–” cost do not have a cost at all, so their cost is neither even nor odd.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Thank you, I had the feeling that was the case but didn't want it to be so.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A few unexciting but fine upgrades :

And this :

No "once per test" clause there so you can +6 something you really need to pass.

I think the last content creator spoiler is due tomorrow so the rest of the set should drop a short time later.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Someone suggested a Bob Lupara power combo with scavenging that is super funny. “And if you look under THIS bar… moving onto the cabinets… and over in the trash…”

It’s also funny to think about Bob overcoming Lily’s no firearm restriction. “ but look at this one, it’s a beauty, I can even throw in a discount… fell off the back of a truck. We can even throw in some ammo for you.”

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Those composures sure do a lot for one card that costs no actions or resources or slots and they tried real hard to get me to like them but I still feel all non-permanent stat pumpers are wastes of deck slots. Maybe the blue and yellow one are worth it just for the costless, slotless primary stat boost though.

Jury-rig maybe good for pass by 2 rogue weapons?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 1, 2021

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is in the thick of it just a dead card when you draw it?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Permanents don't actually go in your deck. It's like charisma or relic hunter.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I haven't picked up any of the Starter investigators, Innsmouth, or Return to the Circle Undone yet, so I was looking at the player cards that had come out since last year along with the upcoming Edge of the Earth expansion, and I was reading about a very silly but interesting combo:

The Red Clock ticks up one charge (and gives you a bonus), exhaust Eldritch Sophist and move that charge to Pendant of the Queen, exhaust the Pendant and spend a charge. Profit!

There are a couple investigators that can pull it off: Ursula and Trish. I'm tinkering with builds to see if it's worth trying out, and I feel like Ursula's probably the better choice between the two since she'll have an easier time pulling out the combo pieces with Seeker tech.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Three-piece combo’s are hard to get working, four pieces don’t hit the table. Clark pendant and sophist are five pieces, and if you do it yourself you’re going to I have to have relic Hunter as well.

I thought I had an amazing combo with big hand Amanda using forbidden tome/Abigail foreman to move damage from Mark Harrigan to enemies, but logistically it didn’t trigger as much as I wanted.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Orange Devil posted:

Those composures sure do a lot for one card that costs no actions or resources or slots and they tried real hard to get me to like them but I still feel all non-permanent stat pumpers are wastes of deck slots. Maybe the blue and yellow one are worth it just for the costless, slotless primary stat boost though.

Jury-rig maybe good for pass by 2 rogue weapons?

Probably more useful in solo when having access to a card that boosts 2 things at once is handy - I ran Plucky in a recent Wendy deck because I was running Ornate Bow and there just wasn't a lot of other ways to boost intellect for clue gathering, and the soak was handy. Having the card randomly disappear sometimes is annoying though allies can help mitigate it a bit. Still fairly niche though I would say, just better uses for your xp in multiplayer I imagine.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Edge of the Earth full spoilers are out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U-Sca8iNOqBbJxLbywkxsjAN6mfSqpnqCX-CunrCY4Q/edit#gid=1786094096

Some of the stuff in there is WILD.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I think this is the album which shows the rest of the stuff I haven't posted here :

https://imgur.com/a/swnnVla

'Researched' is now a keyword for those Seeker cards where you 'identify the thing.'

A few personal highlights...

New Preston cards!

Fang is a big hit but the movement is the icing on the cake. Down the Rabbit Hole's is the most interesting of the new 'build around' permanents. Unscrupulous Loan is massive tempo gain and Survivors wouldn't even care too much if they didn't repay it (and don't forget Deja Vu exists!) And True Magick is extremely flexible and I suspect makes some of the charge gaining/manipulation stuff worthwhile.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I want to analyze Down the rabbit hole here. So I think we can conclude that if it brings even a single more xp than it costs it is worth taking. In an 8 scenario campaign that means it is gaining us 14 xp if we can upgrade 2 cards each time. It is difficult to imagine adding 14 or more new cards to a mystic deck, so seems like a no-brainer. Mystics also really don’t have that hard a time making 14 upgrades: 2x fight spell (often twice), 2x investigate spell, 2x backup spell for either fight or investigate depending on your group role, 2x deny existence, 2x ward of protection (could be twice), 2x arcane initiate, 2x guts, 2x robes. That’s already up to 20 right there, and I think most mystics will be bringing at least 14 of those plus whatever else they might upgrade.

However, Arcane Research exists. And this already gives a discount on a bunch of upgrades to the point where you might not be able to stack your discounts efficiently? Just doing some napkin math here it doesn’t seem like a huge problem though. The biggest issue seems to be that combining Down the rabbit hole and Arcane Research locks you into spending a lot of xp on upgrades in a rather specific path and you have to make sure you have enough xp available to pull off those upgrades every time, even if you run into a low xp scenario (mostly a Dunwich issue I think) or else you waste the discount.

Optimal play then to me seems to be to spend the first scenario or two buying only the mandatory 2 upgrades and banking the rest of the xp (unless you obviously have plenty of bank, which becomes easier to know once familiar with the campaign). Unless you’re doing a very specific build though, I think you are near guaranteed to come out ahead on xp if you play this way. The real cost then is that you end up delaying spending some xp and that your xp spending path is quite locked in which means purchases which are not upgrades might be delayed even multiple scenario’s.

My first impression is that this card is going to be worth it for the vast majority of mystic decks. Math changes for different campaign lengths obviously, and I’m real curious how much FFG will vary campaign length now that they are not stuck doing a deluxe and 6 expansions.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I think on average it's going to be worth taking most of the time.

Orange Devil posted:

I still feel all non-permanent stat pumpers are wastes of deck slots.

The only one I think is worth it is Physical Training (usually the (2) version). I've found it to be situationally very good on Hard for some Guardians late in the game when you're running low on skill boosts from hand and you really need to cover a -4 or -5 token (and by that stage you will have drawn it at some point). But if their equivalent to Higher Education or Streetwise was any good then, yeah, there's no way I'd consider it.

Going over the full spoiler album again, I missed earlier that On the Hunt (3) lets you search the entire encounter deck. That is a great way to ensure you grab every VP enemy in a game, though I expect that's probably not as much of a concern in 3-4 player games when you're probably cycling the whole deck a few times anyway.

edit : It also means you'll never wiff, which is something that happened to me surprisingly often when I was trying OtH recently in Zoey, though admittedly at times I was being kind of dumb with it, like playing it before the step where more monsters are added to the deck during a scenario.

And it always lets you choose a weak enemy, too, like if you want a lighter Mythos phase. Yeah, I think the 3XP is justified.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 2, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Other bits :

These new weaknesses are actually pretty rough because they can only be mitigated through healing.

And speaking of healing, this is one of the better cards they've ever made for it :

Akachi with Spirit-Speaker in play can be a really efficient medic! I still think healing is generally bad, though.

The Discord liked this in Jenny Barnes and it seems pretty good there.

I love expensive Guardian weapons! This one is pretty interesting - you can deal with multiple small enemies efficiently but the more attacks you make per turn the more chances you have to pull bad tokens or the auto-fail, but if you do fail it's probably only costing you one damage (note that you can still use the Fight ability if the card is exhausted). Also could be a good target for Galvanize.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

How much do the healing spells cost? The corners are blurred.

They seem amazing for Carolyn, because they allow her to give everybody money.

You can imagine giving her extra XP to start with two mental trauma, so she can start with the ancient stone… And have the upgraded one by scenario two, hopefully.

Super curious about how Monterey would build, considering most of the good seeker cards are level zero! If you’re not manipulating tomes, there aren’t that many seeker allies, but he can take Genč at least.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

Get the new starter that is coming out soon, some of the standalone starter investigators, and The Path to Carcosa series if it is available.

Also check to see if anyone is selling their collection. You can often get a discount if you are willing to play with second hand cards.

Ended up doing this and picked up most of the Carcosa expansion and a core set for pretty cheap. Thanks!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think Bandages is quite good healing also. Testless and actionless and able to apply to all investigators and allies at your location is where you want it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just got the forgotten age and am looking to try out rogue for the first time, since people say that evade is really important. Would Finn be a good choice? I'm thinking either him or Jenny for the guns

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yes Evade is very strong for TFA

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Generally if they come with the campaign it’s a good choice to use them there.

I would use a trick from Return, start with the expiration deck just locations, and Shuffle in an encounter card every time you successfully explore. It helps pacing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jarvisi posted:

Just got the forgotten age and am looking to try out rogue for the first time, since people say that evade is really important. Would Finn be a good choice? I'm thinking either him or Jenny for the guns

I just played this and it was a really good campaign. I was a purist, but yeah I think the Return To rule Golden Bee mentioned where the exploration deck starts with ONLY locations and you shuffle the top card of the encounter deck into it whenever you successfully explore would be a good way to play. My first time through I restarted the first scenario twice because I got a chain of treacheries and couldn't actually play the scenario.

Finn would be good. There are some painful brain tests, but a free evade every turn probably makes up for it. Pack "You handle this one" if you're not playing true solo (if you are, uh, good luck?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Part of the reason I suggest Path to Carcosa for new players, besides really loving how it tells its story, is that it is least improved by Return to . . .

Playing Forgotten Age with the change to exploration was such a huge improvement, I now adore Forgotten Age and all the neat things it does. Before I couldn't get into it because of how punishing it was.