Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shiroc posted:

Samus Returns is a little weird in how many items you can only get once you have the baby but by then you will almost certainly have more than enough of everything to beat Ridley.
I only did one playthrough when the game came out but I only recall like three items that you need the baby to get. There's a bunch more you can obtain through more difficult platforming means that are made easier to get if you wait and do it with the baby instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

There's nothing wrong with her having an attachment to the Baby Metroid really, other m just overdoes it to an insane degree.

eh, sure i guess. tbh samus in super always struck me as kinda being nuetral on the baby but its not like there wasnt room for expansion of it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyways I'm extremely excited to once again blow away space pirates in Metroid.

We may not fight any, the group as a whole seems done unless Ridley comes back for Dread.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I only did one playthrough when the game came out but I only recall like three items that you need the baby to get. There's a bunch more you can obtain through more difficult platforming means that are made easier to get if you wait and do it with the baby instead.

I did do some of the hard platforming ones but I still felt like there was 1-2 in each zone where it was hard blocked by the crystals.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The baby is cute and endearing in Samus Returns. It definitely enhances Super Metroid for me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trailer for Dread looked cool. Kinda wish Samus's suit was a little bulkier but it's fine.

Super Metroid also cool and has a killer theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYsVk23oxA

Major terminator vibes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I want samus to find a new baby, a baby of whatever Ridley is called. Let's get another cute angry animal in this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Do people think the new Prime game will be a traditional Prime game or will they try to BOTW it into some new modern thing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

prime 4 is going to be an open world concept where you solve puzzles in chozo shrines and also your arm cannon breaks down and needs to be repaired with monster parts occasionally

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I enjoyed playing Zero Mission but holy gently caress they needed to really cool it with all this random bullshit with the last boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIcRnZTpyI

This thing was way harder in the remake than the original, never was able to beat it and walked away from completion.

EDIT: Oh looks like this wasn't the last boss after all, there's this whole extra area with ZSS, the fuk

White Light fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 1, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Getting some real "Symphony of the Night was so short, wait what's an inverted castle?" vibes from that post

Parrotine posted:

EDIT: Oh looks like this wasn't the last boss after all, there's this whole extra area with ZSS, the fuk
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Rx-4UkzNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=206kEZv74uc

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 1, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MonsterEnvy posted:

We may not fight any, the group as a whole seems done unless Ridley comes back for Dread.

They'll always find an excuse to bring back Space Pirates. Even if an EMMI ends up wearing Ridley's corpse as a meat puppet they'll be there in some form.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean they brought Kraid back so of course at some of the species that comprised the Space Pirates will be back in some form. And don't forget that "Mother Brains" are basically standard computing equipment throughout the galaxy.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

The United States posted:

I mean they brought Kraid back so of course at some of the species that comprised the Space Pirates will be back in some form. And don't forget that "Mother Brains" are basically standard computing equipment throughout the galaxy.

I think more accurately the Aurora Units are reverse-engineered from Mother Brain (one of the teasers/trailers for Prime 3 even shows an Aurora Unit in a Tourian style facility) and Mother Brain was itself made by the Chozo, and the Federation loves trying to reverse engineer them some Chozo tech.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I want samus to find a new baby, a baby of whatever Ridley is called. Let's get another cute angry animal in this.

You think you want this.

You obviously haven't played Other M

Let me inform you that you do not want this.

(If I'm being whooshed I regret nothing)

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Look, buddy, if there's one thing that totally amps up a villain's reputation as a cunning god of death, it's embarrassing baby moments burned into people's minds. Samus' trauma moment where she turns into a child in front of Ridley wouldn't have worked if we hadn't seen baby furby Ridley lose his balance standing on a fruit and then struggle to get up.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Whilst Other M's Samus completely sucks rear end, I did feel Samus Returns and the Kraid bit portray her as a bit too "unflinching badass" - there's no stakes when your hero knows she will absolutely always win and will always make perfect judgements, it's just "I'm doing a cool pose now because I don't give a single poo poo about you" which erases any sense of threat from that scene. A little indication that the upcoming boss fight is to be considered more than a punching bag session would be nice.

I'm really interested in the Chozo stuff in Dread because it seems like encountering them again is genuinely giving her pause and enough uncertainty to let her place herself in danger. Same with the realisation that EMMI is presently completely untouchable and she needs to get the gently caress out of dodge right now or she's going to die. That's actually foreboding. She's a badass but she's not completely untouchable. She doesn't always emotionlessly make the right call, or respond in completely cold, calculated fashion.

It's good to see some of that implemented in a way that isn't "I'm crying because Daddy Malcovich has decided to kill himself for a really stupid reason"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Completely seriously this is one of my biggest gripes with other m. Dont introduce cute baby chicken ridley and then not make him samus' buddy

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do people think the new Prime game will be a traditional Prime game or will they try to BOTW it into some new modern thing

Prime 4 is going to be open world 1000000%

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Overbite posted:

Probably will be an expansion of Prime 3's multiple planets yeah.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Completely seriously this is one of my biggest gripes with other m. Dont introduce cute baby chicken ridley and then not make him samus' buddy

Raise your own Ridley buddy to fight the real one :hmmyes:

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Overbite posted:

I'm not sure open-world and a metroidvania structure are at all compatible unless you just stick a ton of impassible walls and arbitrary funnel points all over the map

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Raylax posted:

Whilst Other M's Samus completely sucks rear end, I did feel Samus Returns and the Kraid bit portray her as a bit too "unflinching badass" - there's no stakes when your hero knows she will absolutely always win and will always make perfect judgements, it's just "I'm doing a cool pose now because I don't give a single poo poo about you" which erases any sense of threat from that scene. A little indication that the upcoming boss fight is to be considered more than a punching bag session would be nice.
It's a direct response to the Other M Ridley scene.

And Kraid's chained up, why should he be a threat? The Chozo in power armor, that's a threat. Kraid's been killed twice already. No sweat.

Raylax posted:

I'm not sure open-world and a metroidvania structure are at all compatible unless you just stick a ton of impassible walls and arbitrary funnel points all over the map
Metroid is already open world. Open world games can be gated, even GTA gated access to other islands/cities. It just means you're not going from level 1 to 2 to 3 etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bluff Buster posted:

I also love Maridia, I just hated having to intuit that the glass hallway could be power bombed.

Speaking of this, I know they talk about it in the manual but I will always love that the Super Metroid demos if you don't hit start show off all the charge/crystal flash/jump techniques and hint at how your abilities will improve.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

It's a direct response to the Other M Ridley scene.

And Kraid's chained up, why should he be a threat? The Chozo in power armor, that's a threat. Kraid's been killed twice already. No sweat.

Yeah, actually, that works.

Metroid is already open world. Open world games can be gated, even GTA gated access to other islands/cities. It just means you're not going from level 1 to 2 to 3 etc.

I'd always taken "open world" specifically to mean largely comprised of large, open areas and a focus on freedom of movement and freedom of exploration. All of it may not be accessible from the start but very large portions of it are and you're typically looking at a game world divided into a single digit (often < 5) number of zones, if at all.

Metroidvanias on the other hand restrict your options heavily and gradually open up via the use of corridors, and dozens of locks & keys (not literal locks & keys, but things like a missile door "lock" needing missiles "key" to open).

It's freedom of movement, vs tightly controlled restriction of movement (which is what I think makes the two fundamentally incompatible).

As an external example, Dark Souls has a very Metroidvania structure (particularly the first one), vs Elden Ring's open-world take.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I fuckin' love Metroid, Deus Ex, FromSoftware games, Yakuza series, etc. games that are relatively small compared to "open world" games but are super dense with poo poo to traverse and seek out.

Open world games like Assassin's Creed and stuff though, I enjoy and play now and then but I don't think I ever got more than 1/3 into any of them before I stop. Not even anything wrong with the games I stop having fun with them really fast. But I'll crawl around in a King's Field game checking every wall for hidden passages or bomb every individual block in a Super Metroid hack and love it.

One thing that does differentiate King's Field/Dark Souls from the Metroid game (and I guess metroidvanias) though is that to me a metroidvania is a game where you get upgrades that change how you navigate the game's levels drastically, like new movement options and not just getting keys/killing bosses to unlock areas.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you can travel around going back and forth without visible loading then it's an open world. If you have to load between discrete areas but can still go back and forth then it's a hub world. Metroid is open world, just like the Strider reboot was open world.

Anyway, here's some Game Maker's Toolkit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WkEoYvlUF0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If you can travel around going back and forth without visible loading then it's an open world. If you have to load between discrete areas but can still go back and forth then it's a hub world. Metroid is open world, just like the Strider reboot was open world.

Anyway, here's some Game Maker's Toolkit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WkEoYvlUF0

Almost every Metroid game has visible loading every time you go from one room to another. :D

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shiroc posted:

Samus Returns is a little weird in how many items you can only get once you have the baby but by then you will almost certainly have more than enough of everything to beat Ridley.

Took a page out of Zero Mission’s book, clearly. I recall all of the baby items being very close to the fast travel points though, so there’s that. I’m definitely going to replay it soon on hard.

Also I’m fine with Samus in Dread being like, “not this rear end in a top hat again!” to Kraid when she is clearly loving terrified of the EMMI & Chozo Warrior enemies. Good poo poo.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Imagine my surprise on beating Mother Brain in Zero Mission and not seeing the credits roll!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh i go back and forth on the post mother brain part of zero, like idk if it really adds enough to me but i do enjoy the gameplay of the stealth part and then the feeling of dominance once you get powered back up

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh i go back and forth on the post mother brain part of zero, like idk if it really adds enough to me but i do enjoy the gameplay of the stealth part and then the feeling of dominance once you get powered back up

That whole thing always gets talked up but I like how the game lets you have the power trip, and then throws the more challenging Elite Pirates to reel you back in a bit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's fun, but also really stupid, but also fun

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

It was shown in the attract screen and the american television ad, but yeah, it breaks all conventions of what is and isn't destructible so it's not a connection you can make without outside information

Isn't there also another part of the world where you traverse across a screen between two broken halves of a similar glass tube? Or is that after you have already bombed your way into maridia? I don't honestly remember....

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The glass tube in lower Maridia is already a standout for being like nothing else in the game. You can blow it early if you want, but in the intended path you take the elevator to upper Maridia after finishing the Wrecked Ship and getting the Gravity Suit.

You then make your way down to lower Maridia, find the broken tube, find the secret path beneath it that drops you outside the intact tube, and you have to blow it up in order to reach the rest of lower Maridia.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ROJO posted:

Isn't there also another part of the world where you traverse across a screen between two broken halves of a similar glass tube? Or is that after you have already bombed your way into maridia? I don't honestly remember....

yeah there’s an already-broken tube like a few screens away from it that you’re funneled into seeing when you’re exploring Maridia the first time

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean it breaks conventions in that it's not a bunch of blocks that display the icon of the weapon needed to destroy them when bombed or x-ray'd. It behaves like nothing else breakable in the game does.

Minor oversights or programming mistakes take on a creepy aura due to the Metroid Atmosphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jo3xGTKN-8

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Arc Hammer posted:

Trailer for Dread looked cool. Kinda wish Samus's suit was a little bulkier but it's fine.

Well it is literally the Fusion Suit but slightly more armoured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Make even more amiibo for Metroid cowards!
I need that Chozo on my desk or nudes of Spider-man by noon sharp or your fired Parker!