Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I guess the positive explanation is that whatever Frontiers is the content/changes are heavily involved with the next expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This is probably not the update but it'd be interesting if they added ships for 2-4 players so we could do our own Starship Enterprise shenanigans. Of course then there's the question "what the heck would you DO together?" and I can't think of a satisfying answer, so it'd probably need to come along with other new systems to be worthwhile.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Buckle up

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1431079078975709190?s=19

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If they drop the update right before the bank holiday weekend that would be great

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The folks over on Twitter are going a little crazy
https://twitter.com/RayReynoldsNMS/status/1431314927231422464
https://twitter.com/ProceduralTRV/status/1431267002786750468

I can't find it now but someone screencapped one of the Gamescom videos where someone was wearing earrings that vaguely looked like they had the 👀 on them.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Don't think an official announcement's been made but I got a 6.6GB patch

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Frontier's is live! Patch notes include:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Welp, guess I’m building a skybase to literally rule over a town from above :getin:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Orbital Goon Station when?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Omnicarus posted:

Frontier's is live! Patch notes include:

Can people work on the same settlement?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao I just started playing this poo poo again the other day and this update cleared my base. I had the worldgen mod installed, presumably this update breaks that?

Edit: Still though, intrigued by the update. I'm curious to read the actual full patch notes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah big updates tend to mess up mod installs.

While there's some attention on this thread, does anyone else on PC have the issue of a brief pause / stutter when transitioning between space and a planet? It feels like a shader cache issue or something similar as frame rates are fine the rest of the time. The game's currently installed on an NVMe drive but the issue was exactly the same on a SATA SSD. Not sure if it's worth trying to troubleshoot it or if it's just a limitation of the engine.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like freighters are having a ton of bugs after this patch, expeditions are broken, constructing and deconstructing rooms launch you into a K-hole, and menus are freezing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Yeah big updates tend to mess up mod installs.

While there's some attention on this thread, does anyone else on PC have the issue of a brief pause / stutter when transitioning between space and a planet? It feels like a shader cache issue or something similar as frame rates are fine the rest of the time. The game's currently installed on an NVMe drive but the issue was exactly the same on a SATA SSD. Not sure if it's worth trying to troubleshoot it or if it's just a limitation of the engine.

I get that every time i leave a planet, less than a second, i just though it was normal for the game and gave it no thought. :shrug:

Installed on my SSD.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Looks like to get a settlement sorted you need a ton of Silicate Powder, is there a better way of obtaining a lot of that other than just pointing a terrain manipulator at the ground for a few minutes?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDXRQMPyKQ

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1433056380051759110?s=19

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

mos eisley simulator 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Now i just need the game to stop crashing every time i exit the ship, a new start as well.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Knew something was up when Sean's twitter alert was going off every five minutes at 5 in the goddamn morning

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lamar is a good passer:

https://twitter.com/tejfbanalytics/status/1432802313773764612?s=20

(DAK)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Did Frontier add american football into the game as well? :v:

Pro tip: Settlements have a class ranking/perks (including negative perks) much like Frigates do. If you don't want to sink time into the first one it gives you, the space station cartographer will sell you charts to locate more (5 Nav data each)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what do we need to do to have our cool goon hive of villarny and scum set up? I'm stuck getting an edoncscopy today, so anything to distract myself form not being able to eat, is good with me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Going to set a Browns base on your planet

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Que? (I love 'wrong thread' tweets, you hardly ever catch them before the edit)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

About 1 in every 5 posts I make I walk away from it and an hour later think "oh gently caress i hope i didn't post that in the wrong thread and everyone's making fun of me for it now :ohdear:"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well, I guess it’s a bad idea to leave stuff in your refiner before logging off at regular times, much less before patches. Bye bye my entire supply of chlorine.

I think once I get used to the build menu I am going to like it more.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rick posted:

Well, I guess it’s a bad idea to leave stuff in your refiner before logging off at regular times, much less before patches. Bye bye my entire supply of chlorine.

But how will you make chemical weapons...oh wait that's Rimworld.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can no longer launch frigate expeditions, and the expeditions i have running never end, every time i load back into the game after a crash i can claim the rewards again.

I can also no longer build biodomes.

e: can't recruit frigates either.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 1, 2021

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Rick posted:

Yeah, and don’t walk too far away from Medium refineries either. I had a few on my frigate refining chlorine and decided to fly down to my base real quick, but when I got back all of it disappeared. I’m not sure if this also affects large refineries as well.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Wow, this update will pull me back in this game.

Are the settlements a completely separate thing from the old style of base building? Or are they the same but you choose to let other people live in the base, therefore making it a settlement?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

But how will you make chemical weapons...oh wait that's Rimworld.

Chemical weapons in this game would be cool because it would be extremely funny that the mining laser was still way more deadly.

Space Jam posted:

Yeah, and don’t walk too far away from Medium refineries either. I had a few on my frigate refining chlorine and decided to fly down to my base real quick, but when I got back all of it disappeared. I’m not sure if this also affects large refineries as well.

Good to know. I was planning on dropping a bunch of mold in there later, probably should wait until a later patch.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

John F Bennett posted:

Wow, this update will pull me back in this game.

Are the settlements a completely separate thing from the old style of base building? Or are they the same but you choose to let other people live in the base, therefore making it a settlement?

the settlements already exist on the world. you find them and help them expand.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

the settlements already exist on the world. you find them and help them expand.

This sounds like a fun addition instead of just scanning things then leaving. Now you can leave a bustling settlement encase anyone stumbles over it.

How do these expeditions work? Do i need to make a new char or can i do it with my existing one?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Just Another Lurker posted:

I get that every time i leave a planet, less than a second, i just though it was normal for the game and gave it no thought. :shrug:

Installed on my SSD.

Some googling suggests it apparently doesn't happen on consoles so it's specific to the PC version somehow. It's not a huge deal but seamlessly flying from space down to a planet's surface is one of NMS's big moments.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im not home and wont be able to update for a week or so, does this one wipe all current bases and redo the planet surfaces again?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Rick posted:

Yeah, I don't know why but after losing several full stacks of stuff I just started running them and then going AFK until they're done. Even going through a teleporter to a station and then coming right back was enough to clear them out for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Earwicker posted:

im not home and wont be able to update for a week or so, does this one wipe all current bases and redo the planet surfaces again?

I flattened out a swath of land and started a base there last time I logged out, today after the patch the buildings are gone but the terrain is still flattened. I was using the planet gen mod though so idk if that matters.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so like is this game worth playing again after I got bored of chasing the same tasks with expiditions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Earwicker posted:

nah, your bases should still be there. no procgen changes outside of new clearings on some planets for settlements.