Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nonathlon posted:

You're not narrowing it down.

(I kid - but that search does pull up several other UConn profs in trouble as well, although no chemists)

Weird, it’s like my top two google results. Gotta love the algorithm.

https://patch.com/connecticut/greenwich/uconn-prof-faces-car-vandalism-charges

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...02-957d38d4920a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
My bad - I missed some of the cases you were pointing out. That's a doozy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, it’s bad enough that the last I heard he was doing research in Eastern Europe because no American university will touch him now.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My grad school had a bunch of poo poo happen with this one professor that was baffling and horrible (not my department luckily).

He got caught literally using his grad students as slave labor, including making them come to his house and bucket flood water out of his basement on a Saturday at like 1 am. They were all foreign students on education visas, and they all had text messages of him saying “get here now or I’ll fire you and you’ll get deported

Was this at UMKC? If not I think it happened at my school too

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it’s bad enough that the last I heard he was doing research in Eastern Europe because no American university will touch him now.

Dang, the most any of my UConn professors got was investigated by the FBI for inappropriately acquiring materials for his son to make explosives with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Akumu posted:

Dang, the most any of my UConn professors got was investigated by the FBI for inappropriately acquiring materials for his son to make explosives with.

Wait when was that? It sounds familiar

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wait when was that? It sounds familiar

This was in 2010.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Akumu posted:

This was in 2010.

That was the year I graduated, explains why it rings some bells.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
A prof I almost did a postdoc with ended up murdering his boyfriend in some sort of hosed up sex-murder-suicide thing with a third party he met online.

It's not surprising at all, academia is filled with crazy neurotic people

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My company is out of stock into next year so badly they've already pre-emptively asked me to not do so much next year.

They did, somehow, find stock to send me a sample unit (sans attachment) so I can stare at it I guess? Whatever its pretty and will look excellent on my mantlepiece as I regale people with tales of what it would be like to have to do my job to sell these.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Barudak posted:

My company is out of stock into next year so badly they've already pre-emptively asked me to not do so much next year.

They did, somehow, find stock to send me a sample unit (sans attachment) so I can stare at it I guess? Whatever its pretty and will look excellent on my mantlepiece as I regale people with tales of what it would be like to have to do my job to sell these.

Same. Except the company owner is trying to make me actively prospect for new customers. And we won't have stock for 95% of our items until February.

The best part is that he's leaving to go to Croatia today for...idk. I don't know why anyone would fly to Eastern Europe in a pandemic. But he is.

And I'll be long gone from here by February.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

We have had backorders open since March 2020 that people are still expecting and I'm supposed to keep kicking the can down the road because my boss sees customers as ATMs and workers as bagmen.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Mormon Nailer posted:

Same. Except the company owner is trying to make me actively prospect for new customers. And we won't have stock for 95% of our items until February.

The best part is that he's leaving to go to Croatia today for...idk. I don't know why anyone would fly to Eastern Europe in a pandemic. But he is.

And I'll be long gone from here by February.

Croatia is incredibly beautiful and covid isn't bad there right now

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Blowdryer posted:

Croatia is incredibly beautiful and covid isn't bad there right now

My boss is unvaccinated and very stupid, this is still a terrible idea.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I eagerly await him getting turned away at the border tbh.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Meanwhile, I have an interview for a WFH job that is more my wheelhouse and no sales, and I don't have to talk on the phone or go to meetings. I would very much like this job that has a normal schedule, with benefits and a better salary, so I don't have to ever leave my goon hovel again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mormon Nailer posted:

Meanwhile, I have an interview for a WFH job that is more my wheelhouse and no sales, and I don't have to talk on the phone or go to meetings. I would very much like this job that has a normal schedule, with benefits and a better salary, so I don't have to ever leave my goon hovel again.

I had a mandatory on camera call today and I actually swore under my breath as I rooted around for the clean business shirts I havent touched in years

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Barudak posted:

I had a mandatory on camera call today and I actually swore under my breath as I rooted around for the clean business shirts I havent touched in years

This is why I use a photo and tell them that for security purposes I cannot be on video.

They generally don't question it because I worked for Big Infosec Firm some time ago for a long while and the people who demand on camera meetings don't genuinely understand that I'm being a poo poo.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

You should just somehow sell all your stock through to retirement age and kick back for the next however many years.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't know why but the global economy getting upended by resource shortages leading to limitations in how much one can sell is just very funny to me

All anyone ever planned for was increasing amount of being able to produce and getting sales rolling ahead of that, but not the inevitability of the opposite eventually occurring

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I don't know why but the global economy getting upended by resource shortages leading to limitations in how much one can sell is just very funny to me

All anyone ever planned for was increasing amount of being able to produce and getting sales rolling ahead of that, but not the inevitability of the opposite eventually occurring

We had a cold war to get here.

Or a cold war to kill plan (command) economies

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coworker complained former dept member did too much to help another dept, then when they took over the other team wasn't thrilled with communication becoming hostile and work subpar. Like getting mad at postal customers when they aren't happy there's new person on the route replacing the friendly guy and mail begins disappearing or shows up soaking wet.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mormon Nailer posted:

My boss is unvaccinated and very stupid, this is still a terrible idea.

Dumb poo poo your work does - My boss is unvaccinated and very stupid

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I've been telling my team for a couple years that they need to build more lead time into their schedules because the stuff we normally buy, off the shelf electronics and computer components, were going to become scarce. I also started telling anyone who would listen that some of our older designs were going to need to be reworked as companies were going to stop producing low-sales items if supply chains tightened. Nothing changed and the end result is that we're constantly late because a part that used to be a two week lead time now takes three months and companies have been sunsetting equipment made to the older standards like gen 1 firewire connectors, so we're redesigning a bunch of assemblies while on the clock to deliver completed builds. I get over 100 emails a day and at least a third of them are project managers asking why I put in such long lead times on parts they need in a day or two.

In terms of other dumb things my work does, we're buying a crazy number of End Of Life/Not for New Designs programmable power supplies because the successor part "doesn't work the way they said it does." What that means is that if we set the newer unit up the exact same way with the same software we cooked up as the previous model it won't function right. Instead of looking into where the problem is or contacting the manufacturer our team just insists the manufacturer lied and that the supplies aren't capable of the thing they are meant to do. I finally had enough the other day and asked the department manager if he thought that the manufacturer was just knowingly distributing non-functional hardware at a couple thousand dollars each and opening themselves up to a bunch of lawsuits from customers who had catastrophic failures caused by their faulty parts (the particular issue we were seeing could have possibly fried $10,000 of equipment if we weren't careful), or if it was possible that we were the problem. After 20 or so seconds of awkward silence I got "We may be the issue, it's possible. We don't really have a budget to find out, though." We apparently do have the budget to buy a dozen unusable power supplies and accessories, though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/true-name

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
My work is GUNS A BLAZING EVERYONE BACK TO THE OFFICE IN SEPTEMBER NO EXCEPTIONS.
They've reintroduced a few groups the last few weeks. There has been 6 positive covid cases in the last 2 weeks. There was 6 the last 6 months.

NO, we are not delaying a return to work. NO, we are not forcing people to get vaccinated.
Also, since schools are open, if your kid needs to isolate? Well gently caress you, you're still not allowed to work from home. Hope you have vacation time left, or come into the office if you want to get paid.

"it’s important to understand that some will experience discomfort with the change, but reintegration is only taking place with the health and safety of all employees in mind."

You CANNOT eat lunch in the break rooms though. Problem solved.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

manpurse posted:

My work is GUNS A BLAZING EVERYONE BACK TO THE OFFICE IN SEPTEMBER NO EXCEPTIONS.
They've reintroduced a few groups the last few weeks. There has been 6 positive covid cases in the last 2 weeks. There was 6 the last 6 months.

NO, we are not delaying a return to work. NO, we are not forcing people to get vaccinated.
Also, since schools are open, if your kid needs to isolate? Well gently caress you, you're still not allowed to work from home. Hope you have vacation time left, or come into the office if you want to get paid.

"it’s important to understand that some will experience discomfort with the change, but reintegration is only taking place with the health and safety of all employees in mind."

You CANNOT eat lunch in the break rooms though. Problem solved.

If I were you I'd mitigate my "discomfort" by polishing up my resume and taking as many interviews as you can get.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Atopian posted:

"I'm sorry Bob, your numbers are the best in the department. You made ten sales this afternoon. We have to let you go."

That reminds me - stupid stuff my wife's employer did. She was the best sales person in her department by a long distance - financial sales so her numbers were EAP (estimated annual profit) and she had EAP numbers in the multiple millions. Things they did to try to stop incentivising her;

• Capped sales targets or moved goalposts higher (multiple times)
  • Put her onto cold calls instead of incoming enquiries
  • Blocked her entirely from participating in the bonus program
  • Moved her to another very slow moving department (where she still outsold everyone)
  • Tried to promote her to a team lead position where she would earn 5x less because bonuses were based on team performance not personal performance

She eventually burnt out, gave up and retired early but holy poo poo this is a company worth billions with trillions in assets just loving pay her. We did get a whole bunch of nice holidays and other perks out of it before they stopped everything.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

cynic posted:

That reminds me - stupid stuff my wife's employer did. She was the best sales person in her department by a long distance - financial sales so her numbers were EAP (estimated annual profit) and she had EAP numbers in the multiple millions. Things they did to try to stop incentivising her;

• Capped sales targets or moved goalposts higher (multiple times)
  • Put her onto cold calls instead of incoming enquiries
  • Blocked her entirely from participating in the bonus program
  • Moved her to another very slow moving department (where she still outsold everyone)
  • Tried to promote her to a team lead position where she would earn 5x less because bonuses were based on team performance not personal performance

She eventually burnt out, gave up and retired early but holy poo poo this is a company worth billions with trillions in assets just loving pay her. We did get a whole bunch of nice holidays and other perks out of it before they stopped everything.

Stop! You're making us too much money!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Stop! You're making us too much money!

Yeah, but she's a woman, so it's still bad.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

September 13th the whole office starts back. I loving hate this so much

quote:

As we embark on this next phase of return together, the Agency looks forward to welcoming everyone back in person and to working together to continue to keep each other safe.    

"As we embark"? What the gently caress?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

TontoCorazon posted:

September 13th the whole office starts back. I loving hate this so much

"As we embark"? What the gently caress?

as you embark on the train to death, fueled by nothing other than management's need to maim their employees for no reason other than butts in seats and micromanagement

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao our managers just laughed and went "yeah, no return to office until delta dies off" I can't believe a giant rear end MIC is this cool about everything.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We are going permanent wfh/hybrid. We own one building and lease two others in the complex. The leases won’t be renewed and we are gonna remodel the main building to have more collaborative spaces for groups to come in and work together.

When they surveyed everyone the answer was pretty overwhelmingly WFH or come in just a couple days a week. we were already heavily cloud focused so nothing skipped a beat when everyone was sent home a year and a half ago.

Turns out listening to your employees can save you money!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Is it normal to have no loving idea what most of the job roles mean in your workplace. Wtf is a strategy officer or a strategy manager or a data quality analyst or a product associate. I just constantly hope these people don’t talk to me

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

devmd01 posted:

We are going permanent wfh/hybrid. We own one building and lease two others in the complex. The leases won’t be renewed and we are gonna remodel the main building to have more collaborative spaces for groups to come in and work together.

When they surveyed everyone the answer was pretty overwhelmingly WFH or come in just a couple days a week. we were already heavily cloud focused so nothing skipped a beat when everyone was sent home a year and a half ago.

Turns out listening to your employees can save you money!

Lol my company signed a 10 year lease on a one and a half floors in a second building of the office park we're, spent god knows how much on sit-stand desks and PC setups there, and opened it in November 2019.

Now we've stripped it of anything useful and the official position is "Um... I guess it's really expensive storage space??"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cthulu Carl posted:

Lol my company signed a 10 year lease on a one and a half floors in a second building of the office park we're, spent god knows how much on sit-stand desks and PC setups there, and opened it in November 2019.

Now we've stripped it of anything useful and the official position is "Um... I guess it's really expensive storage space??"

:owned:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Haha we signed one of those leases in February 2020, fully furnished it, telecom wiring, set up redundant internet coming in, trenched fiber across the parking lot to our main building, etc.

There have been maybe 15 people going in to that building for any reason since we got told to got home.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is it normal to have no loving idea what most of the job roles mean in your workplace. Wtf is a strategy officer or a strategy manager or a data quality analyst or a product associate. I just constantly hope these people don’t talk to me

Titles tend to be meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Keep hearing my MegaCorp's IT headcount is ultra limited and we've had to defend posting for positions when people leave the dept, and adding new people just doesn't happen as management stares vacantly when the terms "zero backups," "unable to fix costly issues," and "hoping we don't get caught" come up.

I checked how much staff we dedicate to creating an internal podcast, forwarding Gmail patch notes to pass off as their own work, and attending mindfulness seminars: 44 :negative: