Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Because if we show off what the Eternals are supposed to look like, people might make fun of us

And because they don't want to get into the weird and somewhat racist "ancient aliens" thing that is the core of the comic's plot:

Like, Kirby himself was not a racist guy, and a lot of this Erich von Däniken stuff was just in the public consciousness in the 70s, but it's still not great when the plot is about an evil race of degenerates battling Aryan supermen. Easily cured by making some of the Eternals PoC, and much more an example of the blindspots which didn't really occur to people 50 years ago than any deliberate malice.

Lol i would love if marvel would let them wear goofy rear end costumes. Everyones so friggin drab in the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Saints Row latina voice or bust

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

ill be damned it actually worked

the secret forbidden knowledge of the cspam pop culture thread

to be fair in this case gradenko changed it before I got to it

But yeah thread title change requests can be reported, it's not 100% if it'll happen but it usually does unless it's really inscrutable or lame

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Lol i would love if marvel would let them wear goofy rear end costumes. Everyones so friggin drab in the movies

that's why I liked The Boys. the costumes were great.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Knight posted:

I don't even get this because I think the character I created for SR3 was a low res version of that

my go to SR character is a lady with a purple undercut

It used to be a white guy with an afro with the Charles Shaughnessy voice but they never got him back for SR3 and instead hired a pale replacement because they knew people loved the voice

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

cant wait to rep my sr3 guy from back in the day

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Because if we show off what the Eternals are supposed to look like, people might make fun of us

why is one of them purple with horns tho

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

why is one of them purple with horns tho

he's a Deviant, duh!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

mandatory lesbian posted:

to be fair the one time they tried to be comic accurate it was in the hands of joss whedon, who gave us the breathtakingly ugly cap suit of avengers 1

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

speaking of Kirby creations, I'm surprised DC hasn't rushed to market Big Barda after the internet freak out over the large vampire woman

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Atrocious Joe posted:

speaking of Kirby creations, I'm surprised DC hasn't rushed to market Big Barda after the internet freak out over the large vampire woman
They don't have the technology to put a big woman on the silver screen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It amazes me that eternals is seemingly remove the Kirby aesthetic when the best looking marvel movies are the GotG, GotG2, and Thor 3 and they all lean heavily into Kirby.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this "women's lib" thing is getting more serious than i thought!!!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the only possible person who could play her would be Gabi Garcia

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1432487308159238144

e: twitter embed doesn't show the whole thing unless you click it — sad!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I always thought it was kinda sweet that Kirby based Big Barda on his wife (though I don't know how she felt about it)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

lol his mouth

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
D:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
why was anyone asking or expecting truckers to move an eighteenth century cannon solely on the weight of their corporeal muscle

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

Objectively this is dumb as hell but it comes from such a place of earnest naivety i cant help but love it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Shang Chi got me wondering when they're gonna tap Wonder Woman's Egg Fu for Asian representation

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

jesus christ

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
wait i got it shang chi had to be half asian because artists back then just assumed full asian by definition had to be a racist caricature

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

wait i got it shang chi had to be half asian because artists back then just assumed full asian by definition had to be a racist caricature

I'd bet good money that this was a significant factor yeah

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
I love Big Barda and I wish for her to get a movie. have Frankie Adams or Elizabeth Debicki (after undergoing Kumail Therapy) play her

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Some Guy TT posted:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd bet good money that this was a significant factor yeah
Yep

Atrocious Joe posted:

that article has some great quotes from Jim Starlin

Starlin doesn’t dispute any of this but adds there was a technical reason. “Faces were not my strongest suit,” he says. “[Stan Lee] didn’t like any of the Asian faces I [drew]. That’s how we ended up with Shang-Chi being half-white.” In a self-deprecating tone, he says his drawings “were more offensive than anything.”

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

that's why I liked The Boys. the costumes were great.

We need more goofy Party City tier costumes like Polka-Dot Man

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the saints row stuff is kinda interesting because what has been shown off makes me think the new one is going to be closer to saints row 2 than the third and fourth games, yet it seems people seem to see the third game as the standard. but the third game was filled with publisher-mandated whackiness, terrible writing, and some of the most offensive characters in the franchise.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

these are jsut pretty poo poo character designs imo but its not like the series set the bar that high and i will also skip all the cutscenes and mute the dialog

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not expecting anything good.

Maybe this time they got hosed by covid instead of a dying publisher.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
yeah, the actual scepticism of it should come from the fact that agents of mayhem was awful.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Farm Frenzy posted:

these are jsut pretty poo poo character designs imo but its not like the series set the bar that high and i will also skip all the cutscenes and mute the dialog

so did somebody literally just say lets combine the nerdiness of urkel with the coolness of obama because im having trouble thinking of any other way you come up with the third one from the left

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Will character customization let me choose which slurs are used against me?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

these people aren't Johnny Gat, Pierce, and Shaundi, how could the devs gently caress it up so hard

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Mameluke posted:

these people aren't Johnny Gat, Pierce, and Shaundi, how could the devs gently caress it up so hard

yeah but how about generic himbo, generic create-a-character, generic nerd, and hacker girl?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

whoops wrong thread

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Sep 2, 2021

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the visuals look cool. not sure who the huge space monster is supposed to be (galactus i guess? is that even a marvel guy?) but he looked badass

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

babypolis posted:

the visuals look cool. not sure who the huge space monster is supposed to be (galactus i guess? is that even a marvel guy?) but he looked badass

galactus is marvel but the big guy (haven’t watched the trailer) is probably a celestial as they created the eternals

I read gaimans eternals run which is where this movie is likely getting a lot of its plot. it wasn’t terrible but I can’t recommend it

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

Also what do you think is the best ending of PoE2?

I think it's the Vailians. They may be slaving capitalist shitbirds, but they don't outright annex and destroy the culture of the Deadfire (unlike Rauatai) and their innovations are the only chance of breaking free of the permanent medieval mode of production the gods have trapped the world in. I wanted to side with the Huana but their best case scenario just turns them into Engwith 2: Casteism Boogaloo.

IIRC the Vailians support enslaving the Huana (and slavery in general) as long as it's profitable, so they are in no way the good guys or against destroying the Deadfire's culture if it suits them. See also how the outcomes of Pallegina's PoE1 quest change in PoE2 depending on what happens in the Dyrwood between games. The Huana deserve self-determination, warts and all, death to all imperialists.

But overall there is no right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

p cool that rolan emmerich is making a sequel to melancholia (trying to get this joke in early)

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1433418509527179264