Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Long time no post, I've been super busy with moving into and fixing my new house. The good news is my 200-300sq ft corner of a garage has become 750 dedicated sq ft. Of basement with a 8'6" ceiling height in the areas that don't include ductwork.

One of the things we had to take care of pretty quickly were several trees that needed to come down. We had two Ash trees that were fully dead from ash borer, a Maple that ended up having a root structure that was 80% rotted, and a White oak that was leaning heavily towards the house.

I had so much going on with various contractors I didnt plan out my log saving until the day of, and missed the opportunity to save more of the large ash and the maple, but as you will see I think I saved plenty.

Left to right, 1 Maple 8', 1 Ash 8', 4 White Oak 11'

This dude brought the sawmill, and a skidsteer to move the logs that his son operated, and charged $1200 for about a days work sawing all of these up. Also left a very clean worksite.

Stacks of lumber without the Maple

I had 3 white oak logs quartered to 4/4 thickness, one white oak log 6/4 flatsawn, the Ash was 8/4 flat and the Maple, which had a lot of ambrosia was 4/4 flat.

Stickered in my well pumphouse/shed, going to let it dry for 8 months and then send it to the kiln.

Overall I'm very happy even though I could probably have had 2x 10' Maple and 2x 12' Ash had I planned better, but this is also enough wood to keep me busy for years. It's also going to be really nice making furniture for the house out of wood that came from the property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hell yeah brother

kinda wishing when I'd started trying to DIY that poo poo I'd put less planning into the saw and kiln parts, and more into the skidsteer parts where you can actually loving move anything without probably hurting yourself

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I am extremely jelly rn

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Update: I have gotten better across the board, I think. After getting past the hesitation and just fuckin doing it, I've gotten better at planing the oak and everything. I hosed up with my first piece of sheet steel but I know how to do it next time. This is using a plate directly off a production model fightstick but I figure it works for the idea. Not long now til this is operational and I can do the next one better.

I really need to build a legitimate work spot

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Dang that wood get is cool. An update on the router table - I inherited it and have no idea how old it is, but I'm guessing at least 12 years or so. Taking the bit down and running a piece against the fence I found the the wood continually gets stuck against the lip of the imprinted ruler because the insert plate has so much sag. That's uhhh a problem.

Some odds and ends came with the table, and I realized I had another table insert that looks unused. Checking it over, it has a slight crown in the middle which, looking around online, seems to be how they purposely manufacture them, probably for the reasons I'm running into - the weight of a router hanging underneath probably slowly sags the insert towards flat. The current one is old as hell so who knows how long it's had to sag over time. Anyways, I installed the new insert, re-leveled it (pro tip, or at least one that worked for me: do the 4 corners first, then just bring up the other four central screws to just barely support it. Also, I just put the screws that lock into place to snug so it doesn't have a chance to gently caress up the leveling. Also also god bless you PEC 6 in blemished square, such a nice edge on the ruler for checking) and checked another piece - it moved very smoothly, no catching at all!. Ran my original piece through the table with it set a touch higher and a touch deeper and I've got a nice routed surface, despite the crook in the wood I discovered while checking things over! There's still a 1/64th dip in the clearance insert but it doesn't seem to be affecting things now - might need to add that in if setting the router height with a square, but using the Incra Gauge I have it will probably balance outside of that dip and not matter. Finally, I have a plastic box of router supplies in the stand underneath, and it fits pretty well under the router. Gonna leave it there to take a lot of the hanging weight off the insert to avoid having it sag over time.

Disaster averted! Might have my first actual product just about done tonight - need a few more routing passes to complete this picture frame face and back rabbet, then off the to miter sled for some cuts and it's glue-up time! No idea what finishing I'm gonna do, if any though. I got that highly recommended book on finishing by Flexner but haven't gotten too far into it yet.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Anybody know what this tool kit is?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Danhenge posted:

Anybody know what this tool kit is?

That is the X-ACTO XT5086 Standard Hobby Tool Set

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

signalnoise posted:

That is the X-ACTO XT5086 Standard Hobby Tool Set

Thanks! I just though to reverse image search and was coming to edit my post. :P

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Danhenge posted:

Thanks! I just though to reverse image search and was coming to edit my post. :P

I am kind of simultaneously surprised and not surprised that reverse image search worked on that

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

Long time no post, I've been super busy with moving into and fixing my new house. The good news is my 200-300sq ft corner of a garage has become 750 dedicated sq ft. Of basement with a 8'6" ceiling height in the areas that don't include ductwork.

One of the things we had to take care of pretty quickly were several trees that needed to come down. We had two Ash trees that were fully dead from ash borer, a Maple that ended up having a root structure that was 80% rotted, and a White oak that was leaning heavily towards the house.

I had so much going on with various contractors I didnt plan out my log saving until the day of, and missed the opportunity to save more of the large ash and the maple, but as you will see I think I saved plenty.

Left to right, 1 Maple 8', 1 Ash 8', 4 White Oak 11'

This dude brought the sawmill, and a skidsteer to move the logs that his son operated, and charged $1200 for about a days work sawing all of these up. Also left a very clean worksite.

Stacks of lumber without the Maple

I had 3 white oak logs quartered to 4/4 thickness, one white oak log 6/4 flatsawn, the Ash was 8/4 flat and the Maple, which had a lot of ambrosia was 4/4 flat.

Stickered in my well pumphouse/shed, going to let it dry for 8 months and then send it to the kiln.

Overall I'm very happy even though I could probably have had 2x 10' Maple and 2x 12' Ash had I planned better, but this is also enough wood to keep me busy for years. It's also going to be really nice making furniture for the house out of wood that came from the property.

*Does the Hobbit dance* "Quartersawn Oak! Pretty and Stout! Quartersawn Oak! Inside and Out!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GEMorris posted:

So are the ash borers not a concern with the lumber, or is the idea that the kiln will kill them?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Well with this tree the borers are already gone cause the tree is dead, but only for a year or two so the wood is still sound. If there were still live borers in the tree I think they'd leave on their own once sap wasn't flowing, but I'm not sure.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GEMorris posted:

Well with this tree the borers are already gone cause the tree is dead, but only for a year or two so the wood is still sound. If there were still live borers in the tree I think they'd leave on their own once sap wasn't flowing, but I'm not sure.
Ahh, cool. I know nothing about them, didn't know if it was similar to powderpost beetles.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Here’s a quick update on my 99 year old woodworking grandpa. He is over the moon excited by how well his stuff is selling.
He started making charcuterie boards by taking his normal cutting boards and putting two handles on them.

He went to four craft shows in August, sold out every week, and goes home with a stack of orders. He cleared $4500.

The most exciting part of it for him: going to the hardwood store and buying all different types of exotic lumber. He is honest to god like a kid in a candy store.

mds2 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 2, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mds2 posted:

Here’s a quick update on my 99 year old woodworking grandpa. He is over the moon excited by how well his stuff is selling.
He started making charcuterie boards by taking his normal cutting boards and putting two handles on them.

He went to four craft shows in August, sold out every week, and goes home with a stack of orders. He cleared $4500.

The most exciting part of it for him: going to the hardwood store and buying all different types of exotic lumber. He is honest to god like a kid in a candy store.
Awww.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I can't get a good picture of it, but birdseye rainbow poplar was a new one for me

I think it'll really look great under white paint :twisted:

I also discovered that epoxy curing is indeed a very exothermic reaction and this was too much to mix at once on a 100 degree day:

GEMorris posted:

Nice lookin stuff. If you can, some more ventilation in there might be a good idea, at least for the first few weeks. Ash isn't all that wet but oak is sopping.

Also your pumphouse/shed is cute af and I love the mossy roof. Is it real cedar shake?

mds2 posted:

That's awesome!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I also discovered that epoxy curing is indeed a very exothermic reaction and this was too much to mix at once on a 100 degree day:

Hahaha, whoops.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Nice lookin stuff. If you can, some more ventilation in there might be a good idea, at least for the first few weeks. Ash isn't all that wet but oak is sopping.

Also your pumphouse/shed is cute af and I love the mossy roof. Is it real cedar shake?

That's awesome!

Thanks, I will try to get a box fan going in there tomorrow at least.

It is real cedar shake but they are in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced soon. Pumphouse was also infested with pine borers, but I gave it the Boracare treatment last week.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mds2 posted:

That's fantastic. Go grandpa!

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Howdy gang, I just finished this today to keep my dog walkin supplies by the door. Hand tools except the peg/knob on the lathe. It's hanging by a french cleat in the middle section

Here are a couple other things i've cobbled together out of scrap

Wastebasket

tp holder

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:wotwot:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

:hmmyes:

Welcome to the hot dog saw club

bred
Oct 24, 2008
For dealing with epoxy's exothermic properties, I saw Lou Sauzedde mention he spreads it out flat after mixing. It was one of those oh duh things for me because the volume is constant but you can add surface area by changing the shape and let more heat leave the epoxy.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Nemico posted:

Wastebasket

This is great! I want to make something similar. How’d you figure out the angles?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
After almost exactly a month of calibrating and learning my tools, building jigs and practicing techniques, I finished my first project today. Took a 1x2 strip of maple and made a picture frame! It’s not mistake free, but I’m pretty proud of it and I think it looks alright. Not planning on any finish, I like it bare and as a reminder of where my skills were at the time. Good hobby, imo.

Edit: that’s not the actual picture btw, I’m less terminally online and more practicing OpSec, it’s a black and white photo booth strip

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 4, 2021

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

This is great! I want to make something similar. How’d you figure out the angles?

Thank you! It was a very unscientific process lol

I knew I wanted to use grocery bags in it so first I measured similar containers to figure out the width of the rim that grocery bags can fit over and decided how tall to make it. Then I subtracted around 1.5" from the width to determine the size of the bottom. i marked in from each side of the board, connected the top/bottom dots, flipped it over, used a combo square to transfer the miter angle, connected the dots again, then started sawing. I have no idea what the angle of the sides are cause I didn't need to measure it lol

if it's helpful, the top is 8"3/4, the bottom is 7"1/2, and it's 9" tall. the bottom is glued into an angled rabbet (birdsmouth?)

Nemico fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 5, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

I'm jealous.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Danhenge posted:

I'm jealous.

This is what I was making everything on before

elevation wheel and a rip fence were relatively recent developments, i should probably give it some kind of riving knife too before donating it to a makerspace of people I hate

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 5, 2021

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
What kind of plane is this (besides broken)? This will be the third plane found in a box left to me and it's not shaped like either of them.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I'm not sure what type or make, but those are called Transitional planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvgAjZnM7og

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This is what I was making everything on before

elevation wheel and a rip fence were relatively recent developments, i should probably give it some kind of riving knife too before donating it to a makerspace of people I hate

Nice fence. If you built those chairs on it, I'd say you got your mileage worth.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Serenade posted:

What kind of plane is this (besides broken)? This will be the third plane found in a box left to me and it's not shaped like either of them.

Do you know the make? If it's a Stanley, it's one of these, probably a 35 or 36, they made a billion of those. Usually the model is stamped into the front or back end grain. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Snagged a very clean US made skilsaw, something I've wanted for a long time. Only 61/2" which I don't have much experience with but it came with case, rip fence, and is just in such good condition I couldn't pass it up. Mostly gonna be a workshop saw so the cutting depth limitation isn't critical. Guy was a bit of a coot but had a freakin oil change history for the thing so I knew he took good care of it. Told him to call me if he's selling anything else.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

lil poopendorfer posted:

Snagged a very clean US made skilsaw, something I've wanted for a long time. Only 61/2" which I don't have much experience with but it came with case, rip fence, and is just in such good condition I couldn't pass it up. Mostly gonna be a workshop saw so the cutting depth limitation isn't critical. Guy was a bit of a coot but had a freakin oil change history for the thing so I knew he took good care of it. Told him to call me if he's selling anything else.

That is a mighty slick find, my man.

I’ve put the brakes on tool acquisition as we prepare to move to a new home 10 minutes from here and I’m thinking I may need to find a (or multiple) suitable means of enticing a fellow DC area woodfuckling goon into helping me configure my first ever inside-the-house shop space (I have a second room in the house for electronics and audio,) as it poses a new challenge to me in terms of ventilation/improved dust collection/space management.

I’ll wait until we are in before figuring out what to do fence-wise with the Unisaw, as the 80” rip rail ain’t gonna fly in that space, so I’ll either need to cut it down (which seems evil given that those are a finite resource) or sell it and replace it with a more manageable size.) We will be doing a heavy up shortly after moving in before putting the wood shop, tech room, theater, or stereo into service, so I’ll be able to have some dedicated 20A and 240V lines put in at the same time.

Gonna need some tracksaw functionality in my life and I’m jealous of your find. Nice work!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Nemico posted:

I'm not sure what type or make, but those are called Transitional planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvgAjZnM7og

That's the term I was looking for, thank you. Didn't know what it was called or what the type implied, I just knew that metal mechanics + wood bottom was a category.

ColdPie posted:

Do you know the make? If it's a Stanley, it's one of these, probably a 35 or 36, they made a billion of those. Usually the model is stamped into the front or back end grain. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm

Doesn't look like a Stanley, but does look like a #36. At least based on the "No. 36" and "Union" printed on it

And next to the not-Stanley #4 that was also left to me.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Union was an early manufacturer so it’s probably a Union #36.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What is the way to avoid tearout when using a hole saw in a power drill, or should I use something else for precise diameter holes? Is it time for me to get a bit brace and an auger bit, or should I just be using forstner or spade bits? How can I tell when these different types of boring tools should be used depending on the context?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

signalnoise posted:

What is the way to avoid tearout when using a hole saw in a power drill, or should I use something else for precise diameter holes? Is it time for me to get a bit brace and an auger bit, or should I just be using forstner or spade bits? How can I tell when these different types of boring tools should be used depending on the context?

Start the hole on one side until the center bit goes through, then flip it over and use that hole to align your hole saw and cut it the rest of the way.

Also, drill a 1/4" or so hole in the center plug that touches the circular cut as an exit hole for the sawdust.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Start the hole on one side until the center bit goes through, then flip it over and use that hole to align your hole saw and cut it the rest of the way.

Also, drill a 1/4" or so hole in the center plug that touches the circular cut as an exit hole for the sawdust.

Oh my god, meeting the cuts in the middle so the separation doesn't occur on the face of the board

I don't know how I didn't realize this to begin with

Thanks for all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

For really thin stuff I've had success putting tape on the other side. There's also the option of putting a sacrificial board under your workpiece and drilling into that. Meeting in the middle is probably better than either of these though.