Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The PPC seem to be running on a platform of "Stop Vaxx Passports", at least here in Manitoba. But... is that something the Federal government actually has any say over? I thought that was strictly a Provincial-level thing to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Randalor posted:

The PPC seem to be running on a platform of "Stop Vaxx Passports", at least here in Manitoba. But... is that something the Federal government actually has any say over? I thought that was strictly a Provincial-level thing to decide.

Maybe they're talking about the federal one? Or, more likely just saying things they don't have any capability to do because why not?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Probably a good bet that no one voting PPC has any clue what any level of government in Canada does or can do. Also most of the people not voting PPC.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Probably a good bet that no one voting PPC has any clue what any level of government in Canada does or can do. Also most of the people not voting PPC.

I just checked out my local PPC candidate's website for the hell of it.

His certifications for being an MP:

-his dad was an air ambulance medic
-he plays a mean guitar lick
-he has been successful in IT business operations

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Community engagement is for chumps, I have over a decade of experience grifting rubes which makes me eminently qualified for a position in legislature.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Canadaland's politics podcast was just talking about this the other day. All parties are trying to talk a big game on healthcare... but aside from transfer payments most of it comes down to provincial decisions.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

GTA voters mainly are concerned about housing rather than COVID stuff so the anti-vax/mask/certificate platform from the PPC will fall on deaf ears.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I feel dumb for not knowing this already but what are the rules around campaign signs on public/municipal land?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

just another posted:

I feel dumb for not knowing this already but what are the rules around campaign signs on public/municipal land?

It's a municipal issue. Here's a summary of Waterloo's bylaws:

quote:

Just one sign is permitted between intersecting roads. 

Signs cannot interfere or obstruct the visibility of drivers, cyclists or pedestrians.

Signs cannot interfere or obstruct a roadway, shoulder of the road, median or planting bed.

They must be at least 0.5 metres from a sidewalk, the curb or the shoulder of the road, or three metres from the edge of a road with no curb or shoulder.

On any other regional roads, they must be one metre away.

Signs cannot be within three metres of a fire hydrant.

Signs on public property cannot be within five metres of a driveway.

Signs cannot be within 100 metres of a roundabout and they must be 30 metres from a traffic control signal, crosswalk, bus stop sign or school bus loading zone.

Signs must be 30 metres from the shoulder of an intersection (or 30 metres from the edge of the road at an intersection where there is no shoulder).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

MA-Horus posted:

So here's my question.

What are the consequences for businesses that say "we will not be checking vaccine passports"?

Any consequences? Because I can already hear the howling from some insane gym people.

From what I have heard and from what has been done in the past they can have their business licences revoked or in the case of a restaurant they can have their liquor licence revoked.
I'll pour one out for all the servers and customer service reps who have to deal with the chudheads on the first day of the vaccine card implementation. Remember to tip your servers extra well during what will be a trying time for them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Did polling in Canada suddenly become accurate? When did that happen?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Did polling in Canada suddenly become accurate? When did that happen?

Lol, no. OTOH what else are we going to discuss in the Canadian Politics thread, during an election?

The polls are probably accurate for broadly representing voter sentiment. Just because we can't correlate that in any useful way into seat counts or what form the next government will take doesn't mean we can't sit around and bullshit about hypotheticals.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Lol, no. OTOH what else are we going to discuss in the Canadian Politics thread, during an election?

The polls are probably accurate for broadly representing voter sentiment. Just because we can't correlate that in any useful way into seat counts or what form the next government will take doesn't mean we can't sit around and bullshit about hypotheticals.

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1432563669066518533

https://twitter.com/Christos_Canada/status/1432706163817205775

The numbers seem to be a bit different depending on which company you ask, but you're right about them not providing useful information on seat counts.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1432563669066518533

https://twitter.com/Christos_Canada/status/1432706163817205775

The numbers seem to be a bit different depending on which company you ask, but you're right about them not providing useful information on seat counts.

I will laugh so hard if the Liberals get a majority with like 30% of the vote, on the back of the conservatives running up the score in the prairies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Manitoba deserves death with how Pallister has poo poo the bed and they still think the Federal Cons are any different.

gently caress em all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Manitoba deserves death with how Pallister has poo poo the bed and they still think the Federal Cons are any different.

gently caress em all.

Hey now, that's both Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Though yeah, we do have a city in Manitoba that's trying to suicide-cult itself right now. And way too many rural seats...

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Our children's blood coats our Stained Backs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StealthArcher posted:

Our children's blood coats our Stained Backs.

I really don't want to see Kelvin Goertzen's stained back.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

As per usual, Ford is late for his announcement. Probably dealing with some last minute lobbying.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i went to a tim horton's yesterday and it was okay but they're gonna have to unfuck their breakfast sandwich eggs if they want out of this tailspin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Two minutes in and he's blaming the feds for not doing a national passport.

Hes taking immediate action you see.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lmao The Coward Douglas Ford just blamed Justin for not having a vaccine passport already.

smdftb

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ah good, Ford is bashing Trudeau for not developing a national vaccine passport during the election, so he guesses he has to do it instead because the feds won't.

Blaming his own inaction on Trudeau is a running theme for this idiot.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

InfiniteZero posted:

The NDP still isn't even bothering to run a candidate in my riding yet so I guess I'll send them another $3 and sit out.

This was announced Monday so I'm sure you'll see the website updated soon.

https://twitter.com/abigailbimman/status/1432479645161590784?s=21

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If he doesn't blame the feds for his problems in each and every appearance then the known criminal Doug Ford will die on the spot.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

Ah good, Ford is bashing Trudeau for not developing a national vaccine passport during the election, so he guesses he has to do it instead because the feds won't.

Blaming his own inaction on Trudeau is a running theme for this idiot.

"Folks it's the Feds fault for not developing the thing I was massively opposed to last week."

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I wonder if O'Toole will bring up a national vaccine passport during the debate. Anyone see any CPC messaging on this so far?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

quote:

At first, fully vaccinated Ontarians will need their current receipt with a valid photo identification to enter premises covered under the new system.

The receipts can be printed or downloaded as a PDF file to smartphones. "Fully vaccinated" here means having had two doses, with the most recent at least 14 days prior. Neither a recent COVID-19 infection nor a recent negative test will substitute for two shots, officials said at a morning briefing for media.

During the briefing, officials said that the enhanced certificate system is meant to be temporary, though how long it remains in place will depend on how the fourth wave of the pandemic unfolds in coming months.

The government says that on Oct. 22, it will shift to certificates that include QR codes containing much of the same information included on the receipts that are already available. That shift will be accompanied by the release of a "verification app" that can be used to validate the QR codes and provide the vaccination status of an individual.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-vaccine-passport-certificate-proof-1.6160728

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Bn4KfZqy4

edit- its the NDP candidate for Burlington, ON

Did he shower? Couldn't he be bothered to trim his beard? Couldn't he spring for a dress shirt? Was a headset without tape on it too expensive?

tragic.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

McGavin posted:

It's a municipal issue. Here's a summary of Waterloo's bylaws:

Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ford just said every premier was calling for a federal vaccine passport. Well that's a blatant lie.

gently caress off and die you fat sack of cum.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I'm not saying Ford is at all correct here, because he's a gutless coward, but:

why didn't the feds take the lead on a national system that the provinces could hook into like a year ago? we knew this was going to be a tool most of us would want, and if it's not a universal one, or built off of a common system, it'll be useless to travellers.

it's just weird to me that every province is individually deciding now whether to spend the money on building their own bespoke system you know?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The provinces would scream bloody murder if the feds tried to implement a blanket vaccine passport and cry foul over Ottawa overruling Healthcare which is a provincial jurisdiction. The feds would be blamed if they did or if they didn't do anything. At least with the provincial passport systems the Feds can sit by and watch the provinces gently caress up on their own terms.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/1433070208021893120?s=20

The Liberals: We care about women when it's politically convenient for us

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/1433070208021893120?s=20

The Liberals: We care about women when it's politically convenient for us

The platform also includes a ban on conversion therapy for adults, which the Liberal government explicitly said was impossible while discussing Bill C-6 this last sitting. Absolute loving hypocrites.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I love the one month every 4 years where the Liberal government acts progressive.

At least in Ontario Wynne actually did some of the things to desperately try to juice her approval before the election.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

They gonna let gyms open up and let me use every machine now or what
What's the point of vaccines if they don't open up restrictions

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

The provinces would scream bloody murder if the feds tried to implement a blanket vaccine passport and cry foul over Ottawa overruling Healthcare which is a provincial jurisdiction. The feds would be blamed if they did or if they didn't do anything. At least with the provincial passport systems the Feds can sit by and watch the provinces gently caress up on their own terms.

oh yeah for sure, I'm not saying they should have required it, just that there should be a national platform for the provinces to use if they want to.

instead of, you know, every province deciding to now scramble to make something as fast as possible

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

egg tats posted:

oh yeah for sure, I'm not saying they should have required it, just that there should be a national platform for the provinces to use if they want to.

instead of, you know, every province deciding to now scramble to make something as fast as possible

The majority of the provinces have non-Liberal governments I wouldn't put it past the federal liberals to be playing a game of letting the provinces dig their own graves in order to garner support for the election. Point to the provinces shitshow response as a reason why a majority liberal government is needed to pass policy. Doesn't matter that the feds could have done a federal passport, the provinces looking worse in comparison is the only optics the grits would care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

What's the point of vaccines if they don't open up restrictions

Not getting sick and dying.