Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Went to the used club shop and hit some. After only 4 balls I bought a Ping i20 3 Wood. Hitting it off the deck it went straight, sounded wonderful, and was ranging 200-220 or so not having warmed up. It was instant love.

At 15* I decided to see what options I had between it and the 24* of my 4 iron. Finding no decent options in a stiff shaft in 5 woods I selected a Ping G30 3 hybrid. I was hitting it again dependably straight and in a range of 170-200, averaging around 185. despite being 19* I was able to get the ball up quick and drop it nice and lightly. And at 25% off it was a real bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Played on Sunday this weekend, day after my sister’s wedding at which I stayed up until 530am.

Didn’t feel great, was a bit dizzy every time I bent over to put the ball on the tee, but played okay. Shot an 83, but it probably couldn’t have been higher than an 85 with how well I hit driver. Hit my wedges like crap and putted poorly though.

Was like 15!feet from getting on in two on a 560 and a 555 yard par 5, got par/birdie respectively. Then took a 7 ona 450 yard par 5 :suicide:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Man I called the place that fitted my irons — which Ping has identified as their top fitter in New England — asking if I could do a fitting for the G425 crossovers and they said they are out of stock until November :stare:

edit: since I can't get into the lab with a pen and a pad until much later, let me ask this thread something about the crossovers. I'm interested in them to fill the gap between my 4 iron and my driver. I have a 3wood, but I have a lot of trouble with it, and I also have trouble controlling my driver. I'm very good with my low irons, though, in terms of distance and consistency. On most holes of 380 or less, as a rule to myself, I try to always tee off with my 4, since I reliably hit it 210, plus or minus 10 yards.

What I'm looking for is something that gets me between 230-250 for par 5s and/or recoveries, and again, been really struggling with my 3wood off the deck.

I hit the G425 irons, blue dot, Proj-X shaft 6.5 flex.. The 4 iron is 38 7/8", 20.5 loft.

The G425 crossovers have the following specs, and don't have the Proj-X shaft listed.

I do want to do a full fitting but until November I'm also struggling a bit with how to think about which of these would likely make the most sense. There's no difference in loft btwn my 4iron and the 3iron crossover, the 3iron crossover is just a little longer shaft and I suppose the face might have some slightly different tech. I'm wondering if I should try to MacGyver something where I stick a 425 2iron head on a ProjX 4iron shaft, so I can keep the shaft I'm used to and familiar with and just get a few more degrees. Alternatively, maybe I order a second 4iron in the power spec, which is a 19 degree loft (rather than a 20.5), and functionally treat that as a 3 iron. But how much distance difference would that give me, really, at the same shaft length?

I guess I don't fully understand what's 'crossover' about the crossover as opposed to just a lower iron, since Ping splits the 425 series into two lines at the 4 iron point.

Petey fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 31, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
You know, I didn't realize how much went into this poo poo. For all my dad's faults, it makes me appreciate even more what he learned how to do in the '90s and '00s. The man never took clubs in for fitting or regripping. However, don't take that to mean that those things never happened.

He has a Black and Decker folding workbench with a vise that he uses to hold clubs while he works on them on the porch. So many days the porch smelled of naphtha from him regripping clubs. When my favorite sand wedge snapped at the hosel from sand that was about ten times harder than I expected, he fixed it - bored the rest of the shaft from the hosel, fixed the snapped end, and extended it at the grip end to keep the same length.

Man has rebuilt his fair share of clubs in general, tweaking and fiddling with shaft lengths and swing weights. There was always a couple dozen GolfPride grips, lead tape, pieces of shaft that he would use to extend or connect, and other various golf paraphernalia in his closet. The Tommy Armours I have now are the first set of clubs I've had in twenty years that he didn't regrip, but the putter, two Yonex drivers, and Yonex 3- and 5- wood all have GolfPride grips on them from when he still had them.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
lovely newbie question:

My current driver is a TaylorMade M4 in 10* stock but which I increased to 11* because at the time I had trouble getting height out of the ball and found that this helped somewhat, I also tee it up real high. I have since gotten much better at hitting the ball clean and have noticed that I've started striking the crown of the club a lot more often than I used to. The obvious solution to that is to tee the ball down a little bit 0.5 - 1" maybe.

As of right now my average drive is about 180ish yards (focusing on form, putting no power into it otherwise it slices into the next fairway). If I wanted to get more distance out of it, would it be better to set the driver back to 10*? Or would that bring up my ball flight issues again?

If my ball flight issues are no longer a problem with setting the club back to 10*, then is there an obvious downside to reducing the angle on the club down to 9.5 or 9*? As in, is there a specific reason why people buy 9* drivers as opposed to buying a 10* and adjusting the shaft down to 9*?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try it and see, it's not like it's gonna cost you anything if you don't like it.

Generally speaking you should be hitting the ball while the clubhead is traveling upward with the driver. If you're hitting it off the crown it could be teed too high or set too far back in your stance or you're too close to the ball or some combination of factors. Ideally you'd figure that out first then start tweaking your club to squeeze out the last bit of performance though, 1-2 degrees is not going to make a huge difference.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

If you wanna figure out where you're hitting the ball, try spraying your clubface with some dry shampoo or foot powder spray on the range, hit a few shots, clean it and reapply. The ball will take off the spray where it's hitting and give you a good idea which of the two extremes it is.

I struggled with that same issue till I started hovering, oddly enough. Might have been able to shift it forward but I already play my driver off my left heel and that's far enough forward for me. Is hovering even still a thing?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

what is all this "Brooksie" nonsense I am hearing about?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

what is all this "Brooksie" nonsense I am hearing about?

spectators have been annoying the poo poo out of bryson by calling him "brooksy" and the tour has officially told them to cut that poo poo out

quote:

"The barometer that we are all using is the word 'respect,' and to me, when you hear 'Brooksy' yelled or you hear any expression yelled, the question is, is that respectful or disrespectful,'' Monahan said. "That has been going on for an extended period of time. To me, at this point, it's disrespectful, and that's the kind of behavior and we're not going to tolerate going forward.''

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Weedle posted:

spectators have been annoying the poo poo out of bryson by calling him "brooksy" and the tour has officially told them to cut that poo poo out

Cowards.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Golf fans are terrible. Just screaming "get in the hole," shouting poo poo during people's swings, taunting douchbag Tour players. It's a disgrace.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
As much of a weirdo Bryson is, the fans yelling at him during tour events is 10x as obnoxious and cringe.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

They would’ve stopped after the first weekend if he wasn’t such a thin skinned baby. This is the same guy that gets tilted when cameras are pointing at him after a bad shot. Dude loves to make a mountain out of an ant hill.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Infomaniac posted:

Golf fans are terrible. Just screaming "get in the hole," shouting poo poo during people's swings, taunting douchbag Tour players. It's a disgrace.

And this poo poo is why at the first Honda Classic I went to, I hated being in the actual gallery, even if it got me within a few feet of some...lesser pros.

Second one I went to? My mom scored passes to the Nicklaus Chalets on the 17th green. Full, free all-you-can-eat buffet, wonderful view, and it was just us in there for four hours watching while I stuffed my face with roast beef and mashed potatoes and all the good food.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I shot two rounds in a week below 90. That's a big milestone for me. I need to work on chipping and putting.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Dr. Capco posted:

As much of a weirdo Bryson is, the fans yelling at him during tour events is 10x as obnoxious and cringe.

It was funny the first time when he was getting butthurt about it and getting people kicked out. The joke has run it's course though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1433145609301680128?s=19

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what is the deal with the shorts thing. the tour says it's so the golfers look "professional" but like. what does that even mean. business casual? they're all wearing baseball caps

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress Bryson.

But also gently caress every single rear end in a top hat that yells after a shot at any tournament. Kick them all out until everyone acts like it's Augusta. Feherty even made a few comments on Sunday about the annoying fans, time to end all the bullshit yelling I think.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It should be legal to taunt Bryson constantly.

But yelling "get in the hole" or "bababooey" should result in you getting shot immediately.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

Douchebag posted:

gently caress Bryson.

But also gently caress every single rear end in a top hat that yells after a shot at any tournament. Kick them all out until everyone acts like it's Augusta. Feherty even made a few comments on Sunday about the annoying fans, time to end all the bullshit yelling I think.

I don't have it recorded and i couldn't find it immediately after the tournament, but really thought that someone yelled really early during one of tbe Cantlay approaches to 18. The one where he fatted it and didn't make it to the upper green tier. Anyone else notice that?

E: on a playoff

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 2, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

After two really good range sessions today I have issues early on, even with my wedges which are normally dependable AF. Worked it out eventually, and near the end ran back through the wedges to 7i and all was back to "normal".

Still love the new 3w and 3h, 3w was not great off the tee but it was up higher than I would set it at myself so I will attribute it to that. And was launching drives today out to 250-275 and rolled a few to the back fence.

My partner got me an 18 hole round at one of my favourite local tracks so now its time to book that and see what degenerates I get paired with (normally lovely people of course)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 2, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

One day, I aspire to be That Guy that has the 6:30 tee time 2 or 3 days a week and walks. When I start playing again, my fat rear end needs to walk and not ride so that I can lose some damned weight.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

D34THROW posted:

One day, I aspire to be That Guy that has the 6:30 tee time 2 or 3 days a week and walks. When I start playing again, my fat rear end needs to walk and not ride so that I can lose some damned weight.

Just walk regardless of time. It loving sucks to get all sweaty, but you're going to burn so many goddamn calories.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Just walk regardless of time. It loving sucks to get all sweaty, but you're going to burn so many goddamn calories.

I see someone has never played golf in Florida in the middle of summer lol

gently caress walking, I'd be dead if I had to walk any of these courses around here during the middle of the day.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i always walk but goddamn the oklahoma summers can be rough. i played a round a couple of weeks ago where by the time i got to the 18th i was completely soaked with sweat and just going like "gaahhhh... unnnghhh...." *hits absolutely terrible shot* "fffnnnnnggghhhhhh"

speaking of fitness, what are some good low-intensity workouts to help my "golf muscles"? golf is the only physically strenuous hobby i have picked up in like the past decade and my body is mad at me

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

I see someone has never played golf in Florida in the middle of summer lol

gently caress walking, I'd be dead if I had to walk any of these courses around here during the middle of the day.

Buddy, I live in Austin, TX. Florida weather is a dreamy fall morning comparatively.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

i always walk but goddamn the oklahoma summers can be rough. i played a round a couple of weeks ago where by the time i got to the 18th i was completely soaked with sweat and just going like "gaahhhh... unnnghhh...." *hits absolutely terrible shot* "fffnnnnnggghhhhhh"

speaking of fitness, what are some good low-intensity workouts to help my "golf muscles"? golf is the only physically strenuous hobby i have picked up in like the past decade and my body is mad at me

I primarily walk, aside from the dead peak of summer, but I’m in Detroit and the peak of summer is only ~95*F. Doing yoga 3-4 times a week helped my golf game more than lifting weights and cardio did, being flexible lets you put more into the swing without working any harder.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Buddy, I live in Austin, TX. Florida weather is a dreamy fall morning comparatively.

Maybe courses are built different in Texas then as there are hardly any courses around here that will even let you walk. No one wants to walk through an entire housing subdivision to get to the next hole. 4 1/2 - 5 hour rounds are the norm around here WITH carts, I can't imagine how long a round would be if these 85 year old guys had to walk the entire course.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You need better golf courses

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

mattfl posted:

Maybe courses are built different in Texas then as there are hardly any courses around here that will even let you walk. No one wants to walk through an entire housing subdivision to get to the next hole. 4 1/2 - 5 hour rounds are the norm around here WITH carts, I can't imagine how long a round would be if these 85 year old guys had to walk the entire course.

That really stuck out to me the first time I played down there. A lot of the tee boxes are really a spread out, some of the courses I played I’d be surprised if they even let you walk.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

Infomaniac posted:

I don't have it recorded and i couldn't find it immediately after the tournament, but really thought that someone yelled really early during one of tbe Cantlay approaches to 18. The one where he fatted it and didn't make it to the upper green tier. Anyone else notice that?

E: on a playoff

Looking more into this and people are saying that it's likely due to audio/video syncing issues. It's still a disgrace

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

mattfl posted:

That's the poo poo of it. I can think of exactly two courses near me that are realistically walkable, maybe 3 if I include the one I haven't played. Then there's 2 a county down. The rest are all built around housing developments.

I'm thinking of one in particular, Eagle Marsh. My family and I were known there - because every time we have gone there since it opened in the late '90s, it has rained. They think we're cursed. Nice course (when it's not a mud pit) and incidentally where I shot that 70 on the back 9 in my first high school golf team match.

On Eagle Marsh, with a cart, it's sometimes a 1 or 2 minute drive between holes with the pedal floored. And the day I shot a 70, it was so wet that the water at points was so deep they had to cart us between holes and we still got wet because it overflowed the floorboards of the cart.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dangling pointer posted:

That really stuck out to me the first time I played down there. A lot of the tee boxes are really a spread out, some of the courses I played I’d be surprised if they even let you walk.

D34THROW posted:

That's the poo poo of it. I can think of exactly two courses near me that are realistically walkable, maybe 3 if I include the one I haven't played. Then there's 2 a county down. The rest are all built around housing developments.

I'm thinking of one in particular, Eagle Marsh. My family and I were known there - because every time we have gone there since it opened in the late '90s, it has rained. They think we're cursed. Nice course (when it's not a mud pit) and incidentally where I shot that 70 on the back 9 in my first high school golf team match.

On Eagle Marsh, with a cart, it's sometimes a 1 or 2 minute drive between holes with the pedal floored. And the day I shot a 70, it was so wet that the water at points was so deep they had to cart us between holes and we still got wet because it overflowed the floorboards of the cart.

See, these guys have played Florida golf.

When you have tee boxes that are a few minutes ride in a car apart, or that cross over/go under a major road intersection, you're not walking. When a very very large portion of the players playing any given day can barely walk, no one is walking.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
All the courses around here (NorCal/Sacramento/Foothills) built after 1960 are resort style with up to 300 yds on concrete up and down hills between holes, meh. I think the LPGA pulled out of Twelve Bridges for that very reason after playing there for a few years in the 90's.

I'm bummed these didn't take off but drat at $7k each I can see why.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I played at a course in northern NJ not too long ago that was setup so it was virtually impossible to walk. For instance to get to one of the holes you had to take a windy steep path down the side of a mountain that took 3 solid minutes by cart. No shortcuts either.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Someone needs to get one of the golf youtubers to seek out and document the most ridiculous distance to the next tee box lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

shyduck posted:

I played at a course in northern NJ not too long ago that was setup so it was virtually impossible to walk. For instance to get to one of the holes you had to take a windy steep path down the side of a mountain that took 3 solid minutes by cart. No shortcuts either.

that sounds kind of awesome actually. irl cross-country golf from mario golf. if i had an entire day to play i would walk it

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dangling pointer posted:

Someone needs to get one of the golf youtubers to seek out and document the most ridiculous distance to the next tee box lol

Plantation Course at Kapalua would qualify for this. Some of the distances from green to tee were super long and up extremely steep paths. It was raining during our round and we were spinning tires trying to get up a few cart paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Weedle posted:

planks for one