Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tzen posted:

lol on the subject of names, it took ages to figure out the middle names
middle names are dumb
we finally just went with something that married the first and last name together, made it sound good phonetically

Are middle names mandatory in Usa? My kid is just Name Dadslastname Momslastname, and we barely considered adding an extra first name. We did discuss the order of the last names (mine is technically a middle name), but it was only really serious on my wife's part.

Also reading about covid over there is bizarre, here in Denmark we are all but back to normal. I do not envy your freedom, but you have my sympathies. I have basically no worries leaving my 4 year old with 32 other kids 4 days a week (and one day with my mother).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
middle names are a super easy way to get your overbearing father to be happy you gave him a sort-of namesake.

I mean, in my case at least.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Middle names are where you go hog wild with whatever dumb poo poo that you just have to pass on after opting for a sensible first name. If the kid grows into a cool middle name, great. If not, it's not like they ever have to use it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dont disregard the pure simplicity of firstname lastname

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Lol if your kid doesn't have at least 6 names, little Julius Maximus Alexander bourbon of liñares Solomon scoffs at you.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
we wanted our kid to have a nature middle name that is also an acceptable name that could be put on a resume or whatever and not be thrown out and it worked. we had a post it full of potential first names but we didn’t know until we met her and it just fell into place.

the first name has like 5 different nicknames so she has tons of options

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

First name should be easy to shout, like Ann.tom.Bursar.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Trying to figure out how to quarantine with my two and four year old since my wife just popped positive and we're all negative

Gonna be a wild two weeks

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Trying to figure out how to quarantine with my two and four year old since my wife just popped positive and we're all negative

Gonna be a wild two weeks

guess spouse got to be masked up, buy a respirator for her from local if you can’t separate? that sucks a lot

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It does indeed suck. We've both been wearing masks inside and she's been keeping her distance from the kids as best as she can.

She almost definitely picked it up from one of her students. Lol.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I picked up the ipad for another year of video school. the device pickup process does not inspire confidence in the Seattle school system.

during my daughter's zoom class last friday, the teacher introduced a new teacher who's taking over the TK kids after this week to lighten his load. they were both together inside a classroom unmasked lol.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

space chandeliers posted:

during my daughter's zoom class last friday, the teacher introduced a new teacher who's taking over the TK kids after this week to lighten his load. they were both together inside a classroom unmasked lol.

they're fuckin

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

brugroffil posted:

It does indeed suck. We've both been wearing masks inside and she's been keeping her distance from the kids as best as she can.

gently caress. if isolating at a hotel isn't an option, yeah, everyone masks and minimize movement between rooms.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

we loved the name Ida, and then 8 months and one day after she was born, the storm almost destroyed an American city. at least it wasn’t as bad as Katrina, but it was odd hearing that name all last weekend on the news!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm really feeling the COVID and RPG chat, totally my jam. My kindergartner is only in school because of the mask mandate plus HVAC upgrade and she's coming out at a moment's notice if things worsen. I wouldn't send her at all if we hadn't done such a bad job socializing and teaching her the past year.

meanolmrcloud posted:

we loved the name Ida, and then 8 months and one day after she was born, the storm almost destroyed an American city. at least it wasn’t as bad as Katrina, but it was odd hearing that name all last weekend on the news!

Must've been a trip, cleaning some diarrhea/vomit explosion while listening to the news about the wreckage from Ida lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

someone at the daycare we send our kid to tested positive for covid :toot:

thankfully it's not in the same class or building as my kid, so i'm not feeling too worried about him, but it really feels inevitable at this point that we're all going to get it

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

your wife should hotel if you can afford it. cheaper the room, the better, as it will more likely have an external hvac system rather than share air with other people. fire up the new born support network you used to get food delivered to you. buy a grubhub+ subscription.

ppe all to poo poo to pick up milk, if that's still a thing

facetime / zoom like crazy

sorry i called you a d&d mod that one time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

first day of virtual school and we cannot get the app to log in. hopefully the Teams login works though?

whatever I don't care it's second grade. he can catch up.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

I still lol at the parents that named their kids Isis before ISIS rose to prominence
that's when the middle names come in the clutch I suppose

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tzen posted:

I still lol at the parents that named their kids Isis before ISIS rose to prominence
that's when the middle names come in the clutch I suppose

I met an adult Isis a few years back. She didn't give a gently caress, and it was really easy to tell her apart from the terrorists. My wife is also called Ida, but I was the last person to break something by throwing it.

Honestly, don't sweat it with stuff like that. The important thing is not picking a name that gets associated with negative stereotypes, like Jayden or something. And even that advice is mostly just thinly veiled classism.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kid is doing this thing where he spends ten minutes washing his hands and then I find out he's drilled a perfect hole into the bar of soap in that time.

"why did you do this again?"

I CANT HELP IT

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh I also had a brief panic attack when I realized my kid's name was the name of a main Star Wars character in one of the new movies but it ended up being a non-issue somehow.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

my kid sometimes want to play kings and princesses and about 5 min into it I declare land reforms and abdication of the throne and advise for a workers collective and she gets real mad and asks for different orders so to get around it she decides that I’m the king of the animals now

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Googling "why am I bad at smash"

It is the first vs game he has schooled and clowned on me with

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

middle names are a super easy way to get your overbearing father to be happy you gave him a sort-of namesake.

I mean, in my case at least.

my sister and i just don't have a middle name or middle initial, my parents just gave no fucks

i didn't realize that was uncommon till i was older and had to start filling out my own forms

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

drat if I was an adult and found out I had a free space I would populate it ASAP. something like Chungus or Wolverine

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

drat if I was an adult and found out I had a free space I would populate it ASAP. something like Chungus or Wolverine

You can change your name as an adult.. You have infinity free spaces.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

You can change your name as an adult.. You have infinity free spaces.

yeah but that's inconvenient as heck.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

yeah but that's inconvenient as heck.

Is adding a second middle name any harder than adding a first one? Is any amount of work not worthwhile to achieve your dream of having the name Bonerhitler?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I don’t know if this is true but apparently hyphenated last names on SS cards won’t show the hyphens any more? my kid and her cousin were born 6 weeks apart and both are hyphenated but the cousins card doesn’t have the hyphen and we do. the Social Security guy said they don’t add it anymore . this was like 5 years ago.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

middle names aren't considered part of a legal name (according to the SSA, not sure if this is true more broadly). i don't exactly remember what the birth certificate they gave us to fill out was but i think there was room to write more than one middle name if you wanted to. especially if you wrote small.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
We bought Rambutans at Trader Joe’s and my son has been calling them coronavirus

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

We bought Rambutans at Trader Joe’s and my son has been calling them coronavirus

how are they? I thought about picking them up but didn’t want to waste

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

sonatinas posted:

how are they? I thought about picking them up but didn’t want to waste

They’re basically lychees

Which I guess the closet fruit I could compare it to as a grape except much more effort to eat

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

skewetoo posted:

Googling "why am I bad at smash"

It is the first vs game he has schooled and clowned on me with

My kid wouldn’t play breath of the wild past the first area for a couple of years. Then when I picked it up and started having fun he got interested. It wasn’t until he got annoyed that I had completed most of the content without beating Ganon that he was motivated to pick up the game and show me how it’s done. 😆

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I will never finish botw and that's fine with me

we keep finding dumb quests to do and it's way more fun to hunt down and tame a giant horse I named Big Boy than it is to defeat Ganon.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Oh, I had already done all of the quests and was spending my time doing dumb stuff like hunting down korok seeds and playing with speed runner tricks like bokoblin bouncing. He was aghast that I had no interest in beating the Big Bad.

And honestly Ganon is kind of anticlimactic. By the time you feel ready you’re overprepared. Maybe it’s different in master mode.

Luckily he’s as terrible at smash as I am.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/MarxBoner69420/status/1435390858237464579

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

https://twitter.com/MarxBoner69420/status/1435450415588515842