Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

They also said that you would be dumping gold to upgrade your campsite area to unlock.. modes? Some real scope for p2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Have you ever played a gacha game like Raid Shadow Legends? It’ll be like that. My big problem is you use gold to upgrade your town so you basically have to decide between playing Constructed or Mercenaries. It should really have its own currency. I’m also a bit worried about it pulling Dev time away from the main game but I assume(hope) it’s a separate team.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mayveena posted:

The cards you get from packs can't be played in PvP??

Once you upgrade your "camp" to have an "arena" you will be able to pit your mercenaries against other players. I think. I kinda lost interest halfway through and just left it running for the second free pack.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

RatHat posted:

Have you ever played a gacha game like Raid Shadow Legends?
No, because they're glorified slot machines except with 0% chance of making a profit!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CapnAndy posted:

No, because they're glorified slot machines except with 0% chance of making a profit!

And guess what mercenaries will be

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

RatHat posted:

And guess what mercenaries will be
Hence my disgust, yes. Between this and the usury they seem to think is okay for Battlegrounds, Magic: Arena's starting to look friendlier and friendlier.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I was going to say, releasing a gacha game when goodwill in the company as it an all-time low is a big-brain play on Blizzard's part,

but the bigger-brain play is making defensive mercenaries colour-coded red and offensive mercenaries colour-coded green :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 31, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I mean the battlegrounds stuff is just skins

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

RatHat posted:

I mean the battlegrounds stuff is just skins
Yes I understand that too, but it looks ugly. You go to the storefront and Battlegrounds looks like a game mode that costs $70, and it signals a really predatory mindset, because $20 for seven skins and a bartender is where-the-gently caress-do-you-get-off levels of effrontery. And then, off of that, their next move is to announce a gacha game mode that's completely incompatible with the rest of the game to the point where it has its own packs that don't interact with your existing collection at all, and... Blizzard doesn't have any goodwill with anyone right now, including me. They don't actually have the luxury of acting this goddamn shady.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I didn't know that people actually played Raid Shadow Legends, I thought it was just a youtube meme

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just had a hilarious build with parrots, baron and that new imp that gives it's health to other minions. I was getting 300+ health minions on turn 9. Unfortunately another guy had full poison murlocs.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

peer posted:

demons dragons are really fun now y'all

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, seeing how disastrously Mercenaries is already being received takes a lot of the sting out of quitting after the harassment suit came up. Especially since this was the one Blizz game that I’d had some second thoughts about coming back to.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Firebert posted:

I didn't know that people actually played Raid Shadow Legends, I thought it was just a youtube meme

It was just an example, there are other popular gachas like Marvel Future Fight, Fire Emblem Heroes, Fate/Grand Order, ect.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Yes I understand that too, but it looks ugly. You go to the storefront and Battlegrounds looks like a game mode that costs $70, and it signals a really predatory mindset, because $20 for seven skins and a bartender is where-the-gently caress-do-you-get-off levels of effrontery. And then, off of that, their next move is to announce a gacha game mode that's completely incompatible with the rest of the game to the point where it has its own packs that don't interact with your existing collection at all, and... Blizzard doesn't have any goodwill with anyone right now, including me. They don't actually have the luxury of acting this goddamn shady.

The other annoying part is I gotta scroll past all this "deals" to get to buying packs with gold. And it actually a bit tricky on mobile. You gotta scroll on the exact area that isn't the huge button or outside the window.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah the fact it has no interaction with the main game at all, it is basically a standalone game, is off putting.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

It was just an example, there are other popular gachas like Marvel Future Fight, Fire Emblem Heroes, Fate/Grand Order, ect.

Fire emblem is a least controllable. This seems like you just put your hero in a team and let fate take the wheel.

Auto battler work because the strategy involved with setting up the team. Usually F2p just have more stats equals win. And the way to more stats is pay money.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shwqa posted:

Fire emblem is a least controllable. This seems like you just put your hero in a team and let fate take the wheel.

Auto battler work because the strategy involved with setting up the team. Usually F2p just have more stats equals win. And the way to more stats is pay money.

The video was terrible but they do a fine job explaining on the site and it honestly sounds pretty fun. Hate that it's got a booster pack model though.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The Mech soul juggler minion is insane. Got me my first spicy pretzel mustard with a pretty bad board:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

bigger-brain play is making defensive mercenaries colour-coded red and offensive mercenaries colour-coded green :v:

Red means stop, green means go (face).

Would have been good to actually show proper gameplay, instead of it just being info and snippets of "watch this attack! Ooh big numbers". I have no idea if I'm going to care about it, but I guess it should also grant XP from playing if you've got to spend gold on it too. I'll see if it's worth doing for that aspect instea dof battlegrounds for my bonus xp.

Edit: Also they didn't gently caress up the twitch thing like last time: You could have it open on a hearthstone stream beforehand, and then it would count progress for both packs without needing to claim the first.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shwqa posted:

The other annoying part is I gotta scroll past all this "deals" to get to buying packs with gold. And it actually a bit tricky on mobile. You gotta scroll on the exact area that isn't the huge button or outside the window.

That's what I hate about it. I don't really care much whether the paid bonuses exist, but it's legitimately hard to scroll past them to what I actually want.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I feel like a lot of people forget that Blizzard is long dead and they are actually Activision.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Piggy Smalls posted:

Really liking this deck.

### Custom Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Mortal Coil
# 1x (1) The Demon Seed
# 2x (1) Touch of the Nathrezim
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 1x (2) Unstable Shadow Blast
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 2x (3) Blood Shard Bristleback
# 1x (3) Tamsin Roame
# 2x (4) Soul Rend
# 1x (6) Anetheron
# 2x (6) Barrens Scavenger
# 1x (6) Battleground Battlemaster
# 2x (9) Flesh Giant
# 2x (10) Goldshire Gnoll
#
AAECAa35Awby7QOI7wPH+QOE+wOH+wOXoAQMm80D184DwdEDi9UDk+QD2O0D8O0D8e0DxvkDg/sDsZ8E56AEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

So this is a really fun deck and all... but how do you beat Shaman? Those annoying elemental ones especially. I feel like they just overwhelm me with minions and there's nothing I can do about it. Is it literally just "pray for Soul Rend"?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So this is a really fun deck and all... but how do you beat Shaman? Those annoying elemental ones especially. I feel like they just overwhelm me with minions and there's nothing I can do about it. Is it literally just "pray for Soul Rend"?

uh, yea quest handlock is insanely favored vs Shaman, both questline and elemental. You can keep Soul Rend in the mulligan yes, but otherwise the normal operation of the deck should just crush them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Against aggro decks like Shaman that run out of steam quick I wouldn't even keep the quest in the mulligan. Of course there's no way to tell it's an Aggro Shaman before the mulligan.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 1, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Menagerie in bgs is dead, I guess? I think amalga is the only thing they have now, without arm/harbinger or mythrax to help shore things up. Though I'm also bad at bgs.

CapnAndy posted:

at least most gacha games give me pngs of anime girls to fill the void.

What does this have, diablo and sylvanas?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 1, 2021

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

dang I'm rusty

barely staying above 50% with quest shaman

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Acerbatus posted:

Menagerie in bgs is dead, I guess? I think amalga is the only thing they have now, without arm/harbinger or mythrax to help shore things up.

Uh nope, menagerie is still good, came 1st several times tonight with menagerie comps (curator/queen wagtoggle/cariel roame)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There seems to be a bug in Battlegrounds right now with the interaction between Razorgore and Whelp Smuggler that lets Razorgore get obscene amounts of health. Only the normal version of Razorgore too, not golden. Anyway use it until it's hotfixed.

EDIT: Smuggler is also super busted with C'thun

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 1, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Flayer posted:

It is confusing right now with no real idea of what a Mercenary pack is actually worth gameplay wise or what the release rate for Mercenary content will be. Like do they expect players to be buying a similar number of packs compared to the the normal Hearthstone mode per season? Are packs going to be 100 gold? Will there be increased gold earning to compensate or will it basically be choose one over the other or spend shed loads of cash?

Yeah i am in this bucket for sure. I like hearthstone a lot and have many of the hearthstone things but is this even going to be good? I genuinely can't tell. There sure are a lot of other run-based single player content in Hearthstone and Hearthstone already has lots of PVP. I like progression, though, that's why I have many of the Hearthstone things. But If I want THESE hearthstone things I gotta shell out $67 for diamblo and $67 for diamitch king and $40 for goldvanas? Before I even know if this is any good or if I like it or how packs work and everyone seems kind of weirded out by it? And the presenters in the livestream kind of look like they were crying backstage like they're being held hostage or some poo poo? I just uh don't know about this

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

uh, yea quest handlock is insanely favored vs Shaman, both questline and elemental. You can keep Soul Rend in the mulligan yes, but otherwise the normal operation of the deck should just crush them.

What, really? Elemental Shaman is the only deck I’ve lost to so far. By like turn 3 or 4 they have so many minions on board that I just wind up losing as they beat me down.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

So mulligan for removal.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

end result of a turn 7 golden nosy looter

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Smuggler is also super busted with C'thun

Nah this seems fine

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Menagerie in bgs is dead, I guess? I think amalga is the only thing they have now, without arm/harbinger or mythrax to help shore things up. Though I'm also bad at bgs.

Arm is still in the game. Also still got mug, brann, lightfang. You got the new oil bot which buffs permentantly on loss of divine shield. And a few of avenge help as well.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

at least most gacha games give me pngs of anime girls to fill the void.

What does this have, diablo and sylvanas?

Menagerie is about having the best units of every tribe with good scaling. So you want cards like hydra, foe reaper and divine shields to name a few. I rarely picked mythrax because he was too slow and weak to poison.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
This morning I was ready to raid my extras to craft the Shaman questline. Then I opened my rewards packs and found it!

Questline Shaman is a good time right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I'm guessing Blizzard's response to turning their game into Trolden OTKStone is "let's just add another game mode and hope the shiny distracts them until the next expansion?"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I'm guessing Blizzard's response to turning their game into Trolden OTKStone is "let's just add another game mode and hope the shiny distracts them until the next expansion?"

This would have started development long before the lawsuit was announced. I'm sure they hope it's a distraction but it's couldn't have been created for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think it's the other way around: pushing the games to be faster now is the response to an internal push to turn Hearthstone into a multi-game hub, and making the game modes more distinct from each other to the point that they eventually are different games. Hence the redesign of the main menu to say "Hearthstone" instead of "Play" now.

edit: i.e. Traditional Hearthstone is the short game mode, BGs is the medium length game mode, and Mercenaries is the long game mode, or something like that.