Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

longview posted:

Also running into a fair amount of ATC simulation bugs, especially with the automatic transmission mode on

Like 95% of the time you just need to press 1 on the ATC so it's not too much hassle keeping radio on manual. And it's nice that it adds a bit of something to do while following a flight path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

lobsterminator posted:

Like 95% of the time you just need to press 1 on the ATC so it's not too much hassle keeping radio on manual. And it's nice that it adds a bit of something to do while following a flight path.

Fair enough, I figured out that I could use the keyboard some time after enabling that feature :v:
Norway at least is chock full of tiny airports so there's always somewhere to land or touch and go if I get bored of flying straight and level.

Also occasionally it seems like the auto-rudder does weird stuff on takeoff? Had a few takeoffs where the plane starts veering off to the right as I rotate before coming back once it gets into the air proper.
Will leave it active for now since I don't have pedals yet, not a major issue in any case.
Could also be some aerodynamic effect I'm ignorant of, so will see how it goes when I control it manually.

Also seconding what I saw a page or two back around the autopilot sometimes trying to kill me; it seems like sometimes there's a mismatch between the actual AP altitude and what the control knob is set to, so despite setting it to e.g. 4000 feet, it's trying to go to -100 feet.
Noticed the green AP info text above the horizon showed -100, but the indicator above the altimeter showed what I had set. Fiddling with the altitude knob some more fixed it, but it's not hugely confidence inspiring to turn on the AP and suddenly you're descending at 5000 fpm instead of climbing at 500.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

longview posted:

Also running into a fair amount of ATC simulation bugs,

This is annoying as hell. Filed a flight plan for 6000ft cruise and tower assigns that on takeoff, then switch to radar and they keep yelling at me to climb FL200. I request 1000ft decrease and they tell me to climb FL200 expect 5000ft.

Also a weird thing that I don't know if it matters or if there's anything I can do about it: I've been flying to DA62 a lot, generally doing a flight a day and not touching other planes. Startup procedure says to check for 720RPM idle +-30 and every time I start a new flight the idle RPM is lower than the last flight. The first time I took it out, I was idling at ~720, the last one I did idled at 630 which is way below spec. I have wear & tear and engine failures turned off. I've seen videos where people have RPM drop when switching magnetos in the Cessna be way out of spec and I wonder if that's a similar bug, but it's odd that it's getting progressively worse in the DA62 for reasons I can't figure out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The solution to ATC errors is to never use the ATC.

It’s gently caress-awful and embarrassing, and talking to yourself is legitimately more immersive than the stock ATC.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a known bug where the ATC will continuously request that you expedite your climb, so at least that specific error you posted is on the books.

I have no idea what might be going on with the Diamond. In the real world a low or high idle can be related to ambient temperature, but I don't know if MSFS simulates that effect. I thought the DA62 had a FADEC anyway? That should give a rock solid idle regardless of conditions.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 28, 2021

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I did run into that issue on an IFR flight, though the issue I had now was "me" sending the same request to Ground over and over again, which is sort of resolved by pushing random ATC-command buttons.
Also fun asking for an IFR for a 5 minute flight and being asked to fly FL110, repeatedly asking me to climb, then asking me to descend to 2000 ft. 2 minutes after the initial call. I guess that's mostly on me for asking for something kind of stupid in the first place.

Speaking of, anyone know how to change the barometer setting on the King Air? The backup barometer in the center has a knob so that's fine, but the glass cockpit one is harder to find.
Obviously pressing B sets it to whatever the local weather is, but manual adjustment may be useful sometimes.
The interface in the King Air is ok once set up, I like having 3 different maps at different scales up, but discoverability is atrocious. Had to googleBing™ how to set the nav-radio frequency since that whole set of menus are near impossible to find if you don't know about them.

E: autopilot actually killed me now, programmed the altitude I was at, activated it, immediately it put a -15 degree trim on and I ate poo poo

longview fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 28, 2021

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

There's a known bug where the ATC will continuously request that you expedite your climb, so at least that specific error you posted is on the books.

I have no idea what might be going on with the Diamond. In the real world a low or high idle can be related to ambient temperature, but I don't know if MSFS simulates that effect. I thought the DA62 had a FADEC anyway? That should give a rock solid idle regardless of conditions.

This is my semi-regular reminder for the thread to check out this DA-62 mod, which has a proper FADEC (or as close as the sim can get)

https://flightsim.to/file/2733/da62x-project

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

longview posted:

Speaking of, anyone know how to change the barometer setting on the King Air? The backup barometer in the center has a knob so that's fine, but the glass cockpit one is harder to find.

"Altimeter" ;)

The glass cockpit in the King Air is missing some functionality. I think in the real plane those are both supposed to adjust simultaneously when you turn the pressure setting knob, but clearly they aren't synched. It's a Rockwell-Collins system, like what's in the CJ4, so maybe when Working Title updates their CJ4 mod they'll fix the King Air as well.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
The CJ4 actually has a Goodrich GH-3100. It runs almost completely independent from the Collins in the event of a failure of all of those systems and their backups. The barometer knobs on the CJ4 between the PFDs and the SAI are not linked. The only synchronization with the Working Title mod is when you press the “STD” button on the DCP they both switch to that mode because a “press” was not modeled on the black rotary knob of the SAI so I programmed a little “hack” to make it work (I was one the one who basically completely overhauled the SAI on that mod btw). On the real CJ4, you have 3 barometer knobs to all sync up.

Don’t get me started on how bad the stock king air is.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 28, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, no, I know how bad it is. The interface reminds me of the little fake cell phone you have in Grand Theft Auto. It looks about right but when you start pushing buttons you realize that it only does like four things.

Are there any plans to improve the King Air? I found a mod but it looks pretty hacky and incomplete.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Are there any plans to improve the King Air? I found a mod but it looks pretty hacky and incomplete.

There have been various efforts to try and fix the flight model (which Asobo has actually made some progress on in the last couple of updates), but I think the avionics are the fundamentally broken that they'd require a large scale remodeling of the cockpit, and/or customizing one of the stock avionics suites (since custom coding a Proline probably won't happen) to get it anywhere close to accurate.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I was trying to do a nerd flight today with an a320 from LOWI to Trondheim. This time the ATC refused to let me lower than 12,000ft at any point. Also during approach, the approach and flight controller were handing me off back and forth perpetually :shepface: So, I'll try having an immersive flight again maybe after the next sim update.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, flying the Bonanza G36 quite a lot because of Neofly. I got the improvement mod, it's quite a fun little plane.

How do I make the autopilot switch to the next nav point? Sometimes when I activate the autopilot it'll swing back to the first nav point (the airport I took off from) to hit that then come back around and continue on course.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Download the G1000 NXi plugin from the store. It's in the Free poo poo section and it'll replace the stock G1000 eventually.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone trying some hurricane flying around LA this AM?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

slidebite posted:

MSFS doesn't really 'do' extreme weather phenomena or does it? Would pay for a plugin that lets you see hurricanes and tornadoes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

MSFS doesn't really 'do' extreme weather phenomena or does it? Would pay for a plugin that lets you see hurricanes and tornadoes.

Last year when we had a hurricane it was decent but not perfect. It definitely breaks down a little bit but I did manage to get somewhat realistic wind speeds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The last time there was a big hurricane, wind in north America was completely broken. So the hurricane was there, but there was no wind.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just farted around with it at some grass strip airfield on the coast and as soon as I gave it up elevator I took off. Pretty much zero visibility and driving rain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The weather sim sees a hurricane as a bunch of unrelated thunderstorm cells which isn't 100% wrong but doesn't give you the creepy synoptic scale organization as you move from calculation cell to calculation cell and the walls don't line up or cumulonimbus stick out at odd points.

Still, plenty of wind to go zoom.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is there any guide to modding MSFS airplanes? Specifically I'm interested in how difficult it'd be to take an existing airplane and give it roughly the performance of a very similar different airplane. If it's just a matter of editing some config files, I might try to turn on of Asobo's planes into the one my flight school uses.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is there any guide to modding MSFS airplanes? Specifically I'm interested in how difficult it'd be to take an existing airplane and give it roughly the performance of a very similar different airplane. If it's just a matter of editing some config files, I might try to turn on of Asobo's planes into the one my flight school uses.

Is it a deluxe or premium airplane? Those are hard-locked and uneditable.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'd suggest talking to the FlyByWire guys who did the A320 mod, they rewrote a lot of the flight characteristics of the plane and probably have good insight on how to do it for the regular edition planes

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

slidebite posted:

Tried flying from Galveston to Atlanta in a Citation just so I'd have a nice GPS heading and could go high. Ended up fiddling with the AP a lot and flying over Louisiana at 10-15k feet, lots of cool looking storm clouds but that's about it. Eventually I just slewed to 100k feet to see what it'd look like, pretty much solid white as far as the game would render.

Oh, and I did all that in VR which worked nicely. (I have an Index)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

azflyboy posted:

There have been various efforts to try and fix the flight model (which Asobo has actually made some progress on in the last couple of updates), but I think the avionics are the fundamentally broken that they'd require a large scale remodeling of the cockpit, and/or customizing one of the stock avionics suites (since custom coding a Proline probably won't happen) to get it anywhere close to accurate.

The dumbest thing about all of this is that the steam gauges all work perfectly fine, and I like flying planes with steam gauges more than ones with glass panels anyway :saddowns:

Please just give me like a 1970 Model 200 King Air, that's all I want

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Depending on what you're trying to do, a lot of stuff can be done via editing various .cfg files, which are usually pretty self-explanatory, and sites like fsdeveloper or the SDK can help explain most of the stuff in them.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

mllaneza posted:

IL-2:1946 still has a mod scene, and you can absolutely shoot down Sabura Sakai in an F4U in it. Or, you can try anyway. It's on both GOG and Steam for about ten bucks.

Ok, I gave this a try today and while the graphics are obviously dated it really does scratch that AotP itch, definitely worth :10bux: with the BAT Red Core mod.

Nailed 10 Kates in a Wildcat during the battle of the Coral Sea before getting perforated by a zero and ditching in the ocean next to a sinking Lexington.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Anyone holding out for Honeycomb products, it looks like they have new stock getting out to retailers. Sportys.com now lists the Bravo as in stock and I was able to place an order. Should arrive this Friday. I got an Alpha from them last week. The price has gone up by 30 bux due to increased manufacturing costs.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

One in the Bum posted:

Anyone holding out for Honeycomb products, it looks like they have new stock getting out to retailers. Sportys.com now lists the Bravo as in stock and I was able to place an order. Should arrive this Friday. I got an Alpha from them last week. The price has gone up by 30 bux due to increased manufacturing costs.

...just as I was handed a $350 bonus from the boss :tinfoil:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

two weeks before what will be a large payday for me due to mandatory overtime, holiday pay and a bonus.

(the bonus is "aaaa don't leave we're already hilariously shortstaffed", the mandatory OT is due to being hilariously shortstaffed)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Wide sale on Xplane.org.

Anything stand out as really good under 25 bux or so? Got the AS350 last time, but it kind of sucks since bringing the collective up a little makes the helicopter just rocket off the ground.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here you go guys, have fun for about 30 seconds before you blow your brains out

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_v4.0_1989

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
MSFS Top Gun update just was pushed back to coincide with the new movie release date. May 2022. I sure hope that if there were any new supersonic (and otherwise) physics, that they'll be available in the SDK rather sooner than later anyway.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Goddamnit.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A bummer but if it means more time in the oven that’s a good thing - it seems like everything Asobo does is good, it just needs like one more patch to not make me say “lol asobo wtf” for two or three weeks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

more likely it'll sit on a shelf somewhere for 6 months while they wait for the movie to come out. i'm sure there are plenty of other things asobo and microsoft would rather work on than a free dlc

it's probably safe to assume that the release timing is in their licensing contract

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 4, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

How do you do a steep approach like the 5.5 degrees at London City? It's hard if not impossible to lose speed while descending that fast. So I guess you have to descend at the absolute minimum speed you can?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Goddamn I love MSFS.
Flew from Davis, California up to Weed. :420:
Tomorrow I'm taking a scenic tour of all the big rear end mountains on the way to Seattle.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

The solution to ATC errors is to never use the ATC.

It’s gently caress-awful and embarrassing, and talking to yourself is legitimately more immersive than the stock ATC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

slidebite posted:

Here you go guys, have fun for about 30 seconds before you blow your brains out

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_v4.0_1989

How is that different from any other flight sim?

e:
Flight Sim Megathread: fun for about 30 seconds before you blow your brains out