Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deteriorata posted:

Dispersed in air it is explosive, however. Lots of grain silos have blown up due to dust explosions.

https://i.gifer.com/1kas.mp4

True, but there is a matter of scale. A handful of flour will make a very distracting flare, but it will also burn itself out almost instantly. A small sack of flour would make a mighty flash bang, but probably no damage, because only a portion of it will be finely dispersed in the air. Silos and bakeries that have exploded generally involve large rooms full of airborne flour, with more flour caked on every surface including the ceiling.

A d8 is probably excessive, considering a d8 could kill a level 1 commoner, a child, or a full grown deer. Alchemists fire is designed as a weapon and only does a d4 per turn. A d8 that hits everything in a 10 foot radius is better than most cantrips.

Super abusable. Throw flour, throw a fire cantrip, the target takes the full damage of the cantrip plus everyone nearby take 1d8?
Flour stays airborne for more than 6 seconds too.
Use the Catapult spell and the guy hit with your up to 5 pound sack of flour to take 3d8 bludgeoning damage. 3d8 is more than enough to destroy the sack and release the flour. Then you or one of your buddies hit with a fire cantrip which does full damage to the target plus bonus damage to everyone nearby.

I would consider it more reasonable if it something like you make a dexterity saving throw, if you fail you take like 1 damage, and then anyone who has taken damage and has a concentration effect has to make a constitution saving throw to maintain concentration in the face of a very distracting but mostly harmless fireball. That's still some good shenanigans, but not as abusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Deteriorata posted:

The DM ruled it did, so tough luck for us.

Huge good luck for you since he just set the campaign world's high explosive prices at the same price as flour. That game should now be 100% flour explosive based.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a podcast that goes into the lore in D&D they would recommend? I'm not going to use it verbatim but I want to get more familiar with it because I have a player who is VERY DEEP into it and I want to have a better response if they start bringing in established lore than 'lol who cares'. They really wanted to dig into visiting other planes because they like the idea of visiting alien worlds and I want to get a handle on what's already established before I start riffing on things.

We got through the opening chaos of Deep Carbon Observatory, it was a bit much for some players and if I do it again I would trim some of the scenarios that have little pay off, but overall I liked it. There's an item the players can get from an NPC called The Snakewood Staff that is basically a cursed item that can be used to raise simple zombies but it's supposed to sap the user's experience to power the zombies. I'm planning on using milestone leveling, any ideas on how to adapt the power drain in a way that's more interesting than 'you don't get any levels'?

The thing with "D&D lore" is that there's a bunch of different settings with their own established fandoms that don't cross-reference each other. So you have Forgotten Realms fans who know nothing about Greyhawk, and people who are REALLY into Dragonlance due to reading the many novels published for it but have never touched the RPG.

"Default D&D" is practically systemless, so any generic lore is going to be stuff like how monsters have changed between Editions or what product contained the original Warlock class.

I cannot speak to podcasts, but I do know of a YouTube channel that covers various aspects of D&D Lore, from generic to setting-specific.

There's Forgotten Realms History, which focuses on that setting.

The Dragonlance Nexus is the oldest Dragonlance fansite which has its own podcast, the Dragonlance Canticle.

Hope that's enough to get you started!

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 1, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

True, but there is a matter of scale. A handful of flour will make a very distracting flare, but it will also burn itself out almost instantly. A small sack of flour would make a mighty flash bang, but probably no damage, because only a portion of it will be finely dispersed in the air. Silos and bakeries that have exploded generally involve large rooms full of airborne flour, with more flour caked on every surface including the ceiling.

A d8 is probably excessive, considering a d8 could kill a level 1 commoner, a child, or a full grown deer. Alchemists fire is designed as a weapon and only does a d4 per turn. A d8 that hits everything in a 10 foot radius is better than most cantrips.

Super abusable. Throw flour, throw a fire cantrip, the target takes the full damage of the cantrip plus everyone nearby take 1d8?
Flour stays airborne for more than 6 seconds too.
Use the Catapult spell and the guy hit with your up to 5 pound sack of flour to take 3d8 bludgeoning damage. 3d8 is more than enough to destroy the sack and release the flour. Then you or one of your buddies hit with a fire cantrip which does full damage to the target plus bonus damage to everyone nearby.

I would consider it more reasonable if it something like you make a dexterity saving throw, if you fail you take like 1 damage, and then anyone who has taken damage and has a concentration effect has to make a constitution saving throw to maintain concentration in the face of a very distracting but mostly harmless fireball. That's still some good shenanigans, but not as abusable.

You're taking this a whole lot more seriously than we did. It was very funny at the time and we moved on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Deteriorata posted:

You're taking this a whole lot more seriously than we did. It was very funny at the time and we moved on.

Please do not use the F word in the srs bsns 5e thread.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fun is for casuals.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Holy poo poo just talking poo poo out with your group makes all the difference.

For real, if you have any issues in your party, acknowledge those and talk it out like adults because it can literally save the campaign.

For reference, we started playing about a year and a half ago when the pandemic started. (Online of course.) I'm the DM, and because of us all being adults having busy lives we have a 3 hour sessions once every two weeks on average, I think.

At first everything was fine. I was doing a kinda railroaded combat thing just so we could all get our bearings. I'm a first time (proper) DM and some of the players aren't all that experienced, but it was all good. Because I railroaded them a bit it opened up the opportunity for them to get a bit murderhobo. It's my own campaign but I put them through Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury (adapted to my own setting and overarching narrative) which primed one of the players especially (Arcane Archer/Rogue) to be a threaten first ask questions later kind of character. This didn't fit well with the others, it was discussed and the rogue dude stopped being a murderhobo, but still kinda set the tone.

Since then I've become much more comfortable as a DM and the sessions have really become much more of my own thing, and a lot more RP heavy. It works, generally. One of the players dropped out because of a combination of playing a character he didn't actually enjoy in hindsight and real life getting in the way, so he chose just to drop out. That was fine, because 5 players was a bit much anyway, especially for me as an inexperienced DM.

So after that the trouble started.
The rogue player started feeling left out. The barbarian and bard kinda hit it off and got this codependent dynamic going, and the bard being the face of the party took the lead in a lot of the interactions, and the rogue just... shut down and got shut down by the two of the three other players. The rogue is my best friend and it was kind of a thing where we'd have a call after each session to discuss how it was and then talk about life stuff and whatever, and the last couple of sessions he'd complain about being shut down and not having fun anymore.
Honestly, I hadn't noticed except that he was more on the background than I was used of him, but I thought that was because of him being a new parent and just being tired and stuff. In hindsight all the signs were there, he was really being shut down. Whenever he opted to do something the other two players (especially the bard) would just negate his suggestions. I wouldn't notice in session because (1) my own ADD and autism combined with (2) running a game is stressful and complicated enough, so it wasn't until I looked back on the sessions that I recognized he had a valid complaint.

We discussed it and my honest interpretation of things were that by not speaking out when it happened, the other players didn't realize it was an issue. They'd just roleplay their characters and part of that had become not trusting the rogue. One solution could be to roll with it and push back more, but that's not in the player's nature so instead he'd shut down, giving the other players the idea that everything was fine and dandy even thought it wasn't.

I encouraged him to speak out the next time it happened but (being non-confrontational as he is) he wouldn't, hoping it was just a fluke and things would straighten out in time. Two sessions later tensions built to point for him where he just completely shut down entirely and was about to quit the campaign and I forced the issue. Either he would address the issue before we started next session, or I would.

He did, everyone talked and it all worked out. The rogue being kinda murderhobo the first couple of sessions set the tone for their characters how to respond to him and even though he changed his ways they hadn't adapted to that yet. We had a frank discussion on our expectations and I don't know, the whole vibe of the campaign just became so much better for it. After the session I had a 1 on 1 talk with the bard player (because he's the face and tends to take the lead) about how I as a DM would like a bit more room for exposition instead of his character being more goal oriented and it was a great talk that really made all the difference.

Before this session I had little hope of actually being able to complete the campaign I have in mind. I was burned out. One player quit (even if it was for their own reasons) and the party just didn't gel. They weren't on the same page. I was fully prepared to cut everything short, just make the fight they're about to have be the final fight of the campaign and gently caress everything else I've got prepared (because I'm ready to go to level 20 but I could finish poo poo now at level 7), but now that we talked poo poo out and set our expectations I'm confident we'll be playing this campaign for the next 2 or so years.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

talking to people is too hard. instead just passive aggressively put encounters that make your players miserable for years without saying anything to protest the guy who wears a banana costume in real life to the session as he insists on playing an alchemist called dr potassium

Deteriorata posted:

i would have done 1d4 or the spicy 1d3 but honestly yeah it doesnt really matter that much and just having a one off fun thing happen is good for comedy in games

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't normally care about youtube optimizer people's builds, but Treantmonk did a hill dwarf clockwork sorcerer build (with one level order cleric dip) that looked really fun and effective. Am I missing anything that's going to make this miserable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXKpJ3zZws

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Treantmonk's whole "god-mage" concept always sounds miserable but I'm sure that it's mechanically-sound.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I would love to comment on it but tbh I'm not going to watch an hour long video for it. Summary?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mendrian posted:

I would love to comment on it but tbh I'm not going to watch an hour long video for it. Summary?

The summary is that Tasha's gave out a bunch of features that are basically "build-your-own-frankenmage", so you use those, dip 1 level for heavy armor, and take hill dwarf so you can tank STR without penalty and have a pile if hit points. Congrats: you now have a caster who is tanker than the system was designed to have who has massive spell versatility and gets a bunch of free casts and stuff. Its not interesting or thematic, but it will tear through challenges from fixed material that wasn't designed to challenge this level of power creep. Its not wrong, its just a very particular style of play that won't be appropriate at every table.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't normally care about youtube optimizer people's builds, but Treantmonk did a hill dwarf clockwork sorcerer build (with one level order cleric dip) that looked really fun and effective. Am I missing anything that's going to make this miserable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXKpJ3zZws

Honestly this is the best way to optimize, when you optimize for damage it provides clear numerical values other players can compare themselves to, "God-Wizards" specialize in making the party do their thing better, I have played characters like this on many tables and never get any enmity from other players for it. When I dare take sharpshooter on my archer fighter though......

Its a good and effective build and will make the party awesome.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Taeke posted:

Holy poo poo just talking poo poo out with your group makes all the difference.

For real, if you have any issues in your party, acknowledge those and talk it out like adults because it can literally save the campaign.

drat, I'm glad it turned out so well for you guys! I haven't been in the same boat yet thankfully, since all the groups I've played with are friends/get along well already. But yeah I think that's definitely an important lesson for everyone to keep in mind. Definitely good timing for you and your group too, seems like - great to hear that the future is now looking bright again!

By the way, side-note: Are there any minis that you can buy online, which are of (or at least resemble) a Locathah? It seems like the closest I can get is a frogman thing, which isn't nearly fishy enough.
Bonus points if they also sell a large dire wolf mini, especially after my posts/questions on the topic the other day! :D

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

drat, I'm glad it turned out so well for you guys! I haven't been in the same boat yet thankfully, since all the groups I've played with are friends/get along well already. But yeah I think that's definitely an important lesson for everyone to keep in mind. Definitely good timing for you and your group too, seems like - great to hear that the future is now looking bright again!

By the way, side-note: Are there any minis that you can buy online, which are of (or at least resemble) a Locathah? It seems like the closest I can get is a frogman thing, which isn't nearly fishy enough.
Bonus points if they also sell a large dire wolf mini, especially after my posts/questions on the topic the other day! :D

official locathah miniature single from a reputable source: https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147923622/Locathah there will definitely be a dire wolf on there to add to your order

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Facebook Aunt posted:

A d8 is probably excessive, considering a d8 could kill a level 1 commoner, a child, or a full grown deer. Alchemists fire is designed as a weapon and only does a d4 per turn.

A campaign where your party accidentally revolutionizes warfare by discovering an incredibly cheap and potent new chemical weapon could be actually kind of cool.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah I know, but chucking a handful of flour on an invisible dude doesn't explode in a 10 foot radius if some one hits them with fire a few seconds later
It can, it depends on how much is suspended in the air, how fine it is, how enclosed the space is etc. Easy to do by accident but hard to do on purpose!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ooh let's science this! First of all let's take into account that D&D is usually set in the far off age of yonder past so the flour is probably gritty stoneground wheat nugs. Maybe some alchemist or artificer has sussed out the blast value of grinding finer flour and is manufacturing flameflour, ooh or it could be a party member.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Pretty much any carbohydrate powder can explode. Mythbusters did a segment once on a dairy creamer bomb that was extremely combustible. You don't even need that much of it, so long as it is well distributed.

https://youtu.be/yRw4ZRqmxOc

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/question150.htm

However, the scale that we're talking about isn't likely to do more than ignite the air or burn some eyebrows. You'd need to combine the flour with more fuel (which would be like igniting hairspray) or be throwing quite a bit of it, in order to injure someone. I'd be all over an alchemist flavoring their attacks as flour bombs, or crafting special bombs using a limited resource, but I'd be hesitant to increase the efficacy of such attacks on an ongoing basis.

https://youtu.be/tPRHQYh8Pnk

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 2, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cephas posted:

A campaign where your party accidentally revolutionizes warfare by discovering an incredibly cheap and potent new chemical weapon could be actually kind of cool.

Doing war crimes, causing famines. Just D&D things.

I wonder how well it would scale up. When buildings are damaged in dust explosions it is because the suddenly burning dust causes overpressure and the building bursts. Loading your siege weapons with flammable dust wouldn't get much of it inside the buildings. Filling the city streets or castle courtyard with hundreds of pounds of flour could cause a flash fire but probably won't cause much structural damage. I guess if the weather had been warm and dry for a while it might be enough to light a bunch of thatch roofs on fire at the same time. Do it at night and you won't need to worry about igniting the flour yourself, someone in the blast zone is bound to be burning a torch, candle, or cookfire.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I wanted to do a hexblood swarmkeeper ranger, where would I even begin looking for character art inspirations? I'm thinking either bees or Will o' the Wisps for the swarm. I wanna be grotesque and unsettling.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If I wanted to do a hexblood swarmkeeper ranger, where would I even begin looking for character art inspirations? I'm thinking either bees or Will o' the Wisps for the swarm. I wanna be grotesque and unsettling.

I dunno about art, but go periodical cicadas for the swarm

radlum
May 13, 2013
I love my group; they are my friends, we have a lot of fun playing D&D and playing through Roll20 during these Covid times has been great...but I wish they would just try to prepare for each session. We took almost 3 hours to defeat a bunch of guards in our new campaign mostly because they were unprepared to control their new characters. I'm glad I'm not the DM since I would get even more annoyed by that kind of issues if I were him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nehru the Damaja posted:

For something that specific you might be best to break it up. Find a hexblood portrait you like, then paint in the swarm. Most of them will be like 2 pixels so it won't matter if they are represented by a dot. You can probably find a png of bees on a transparent background to paste over for the foreground bees.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Playing with the idea of homebrewing an actual Muscle Wizard class.

A little bit Shounen Fighting Manga, a little bit Flex Mentalo. It would pull from both Wizard and Monk skills and have a class feature that lets anything calculated with INT use STR instead but you take 2d4 recoil damage.

Effectively, you would be punching the air hard enough to cause an incendiary explosion when you cast fireball, for example.

Preparing spells would pretty much be doing the right exercises to prep the muscles you need for the spells you want to cast that day as a morning routine.

I haven't really pounded it out mechanically yet, but conceptually does that seem like a fun idea to mess around with to anyone else?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Give them an Unarmored Defense that gives them 8+STR+CON+proficiency mod for AC.
Reaction on being missed in melee to either initiate a grapple (you grab the other guy's hand/weapon and laugh in their face) or just counterpunch them, (proficiency bonus) uses/short rest
If they're supposed to be up in the front lines most of the time, they should have a good selection of melee options, magical or otherwise
Self-damage to use core abilities is a thing in the base game, but mostly only if you over-use abilities. Make the first use of that ability free per short rest, then have it start costing.
In general I'd say make them a half-caster progression-wise

How are you going to flavor non-combat spellcasting? Do they get ritual casting of any kind? Posturing and yelling for 10 minutes in order to achieve something is very shounen...but if that thing is Comprehend Languages, it might feel a little weird.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

You punch the air so hard you can understand Greek.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Give them an Unarmored Defense that gives them 8+STR+CON+proficiency mod for AC.
Reaction on being missed in melee to either initiate a grapple (you grab the other guy's hand/weapon and laugh in their face) or just counterpunch them, (proficiency bonus) uses/short rest
If they're supposed to be up in the front lines most of the time, they should have a good selection of melee options, magical or otherwise
Self-damage to use core abilities is a thing in the base game, but mostly only if you over-use abilities. Make the first use of that ability free per short rest, then have it start costing.
In general I'd say make them a half-caster progression-wise

How are you going to flavor non-combat spellcasting? Do they get ritual casting of any kind? Posturing and yelling for 10 minutes in order to achieve something is very shounen...but if that thing is Comprehend Languages, it might feel a little weird.

Firstly: Thanks for the advice. It's some solid stiff with ideas I hadn't considered.

Secondly: Non-Combat and more esoteric casting is where the more Flex Mentallo elements of this come in.

As I see it, they're legitimately using magic, not just Chi like a Monk. It's just a really bizarre method of casting that replaces study of myriad arcanum with dedication to the developement, improvement, and understanding of the body to the point of manipulating magical forces around them with the right use of the right muscles in the right order.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Adder Moray posted:

Firstly: Thanks for the advice. It's some solid stiff with ideas I hadn't considered.

Secondly: Non-Combat and more esoteric casting is where the more Flex Mentallo elements of this come in.

As I see it, they're legitimately using magic, not just Chi like a Monk. It's just a really bizarre method of casting that replaces study of myriad arcanum with dedication to the developement, improvement, and understanding of the body to the point of manipulating magical forces around them with the right use of the right muscles in the right order.

OK, what that makes me think is that they've figured out how living creatures interact with the Weave, or more specifically how their own body interacts with the weave. With the proper bodily control they can then create magical effects either internal to or external to themselves, with the same scope as any other magician.

I think the main question I'd have now is, how do you see this character playing from a mechanical perspective?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm trying to come up with cute magical items for my party.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Tome Bindings of Deception
Uncommon
These thin leather sheaths can be placed over the cover of a book. When the command word is spoken, the title, author and other details on the cover change to match those of another, thus allowing the user to read one book while pretending to read a different one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gridlocked posted:

Pinku decanter of endless water.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Enjoy posted:

Tome Bindings of Deception
Uncommon
These thin leather sheaths can be placed over the cover of a book. When the command word is spoken, the title, author and other details on the cover change to match those of another, thus allowing the user to read one book while pretending to read a different one.

Could be useful for a book heist

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_(Marvel_Comics)

e:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 3, 2021

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Spidersman

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

OK, what that makes me think is that they've figured out how living creatures interact with the Weave, or more specifically how their own body interacts with the weave. With the proper bodily control they can then create magical effects either internal to or external to themselves, with the same scope as any other magician.

I think the main question I'd have now is, how do you see this character playing from a mechanical perspective?

I was thinking something like:

- Strong up close, good at a distance, mediocre at middle range
- Can take a hit, unlike squishy mind wizards, but they're no damage sponge, especially given their having to reserve HP for casting.
- Str is the most critical stat, followed by Dex and Cons.
- I was figuring they would get further benefit later where they can stretch as a free action before casting to reduce the recoil damage to 1d4. It would count for the same free action that could otherwise be used for a quickened spell.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

For a muscle wizard I'd just return the option to be a str based sorcerer from 4e. Your choice of CHA or STR as spellcasting stat at creation.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
You’re basically describing a Way of the Four Elements Monk and just reskinning “ki” as “magic”

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gridlocked posted:

Spidersman

*Spiders-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
I want to be passive aggressive and start killing characters who do something that I perceive as wrong, rpg horror stories be damned, lmao. What are some ways I can do this, where I have plausible deniability? Kind of like the house having an edge at the casino, slight, so everyone is more or less okay when they lose. A fall where the amount of damage ensures no stabilizing saving throws, or a monster who by the book , RAW, double taps downed players, like a WISP is what I'm thinking, but I'd like for the ruse to be more elaborate than that, and seem more organic and un-planned.