Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the key to defeating piracy is making paying money for something easier than pirating it. Not making it harder to legally buy poo poo and easily read it.

It's why I never feel guilty for :filez: when I own a Blu-ray. It takes 9 hours to get to the menu to play the stupid movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I also got an email from Marvel Unlimited saying:

quote:

Starting on 9/8, the My Library feature at https://www.marvel.com/my_account/my_must_reads/ will become unavailable.
Please note, this change will not affect the ability to utilize your library within the Marvel Unlimited app.

From what I gather, it removes your library from the website?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Medullah posted:

It's why I never feel guilty for :filez: when I own a Blu-ray. It takes 9 hours to get to the menu to play the stupid movie.

Oh, for comic books I :filez: a proper reading order for marvel crossovers that don't have a built in reading order in Marvel Unlimited.

The ability to make and share a reading order for comics in Marvel Unlimited (or possibly the DC version, I haven't tried it yet) would be a loving game changer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rated user-made reading orders seems like a no brainer cuz that's work you don't have to do yourself. Then add in a users choice/most read/highest rated story of the month to further push engagement or something

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the DC one, at least, lets you make your own 'playlist' type things

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/LongTallJodie/status/1433512090531074048?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the gently caress even. Let me guess: all my subscriptions disappear, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Separate transactions for each comic I'd want to buy? How... fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is the dumbest loving thing. I’m guessing sales are loving dead rip

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Would your credit card company even allow you to do that? Spam many small transactions in a row?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
visa doesn't mind when i end up doing it on beatport like an idiot, fwiw

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

But the kindle store has a cart, you can buy multiple books at once, why on earth would they change that for something that requires multiple purchases by nature?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is the dumbest loving thing. I’m guessing sales are loving dead rip
Comixology's FAQ says they will continue running sales and discounts.

E: Checking the Kindle store, you can one-click buy comics, instead of dumping them in a cart and buying, so that doesn't seem like a huge loss, honestly, except in cases where you're trying to buy a whole run of comics or something during a sale. It also has subscriptions and they want to make the change "seamless" so hopefully they can just transfer those over.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 2, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Okay, but how does that work with BOGO? No more of those sales?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

Okay, but how does that work with BOGO? No more of those sales?

Previously Amazon would have everything half off

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I guess this is how we're going to make the Substack "comics" more readable.

https://on.substack.com/p/comics-on-panels

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Did the Comixology site appear to wipe anyone else's collection, requiring a log out&in to fix? Amazon's customer support people/algorithms will be swamped this fall when the swap becomes official.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mine seems fine.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

IUG posted:

Yup there goes me buying on Comixology. I wonder if some creators are fleeing to substack because of this.

Ditto. At least 2000AD still lets you download their books, they do it right.

I did like when Image used to do it on their site, and many books would still let you get that DRM free download on comixology. Not allowing that option anymore is corporate lameness up the wazoo.

I gotta have it in Perfect Viewer, gotta have zoom fix remembered between pages, and it's nice to have it to backup in case a service goes awol later on etc.

I don't understand how comixology's viewer is so terrible and lacking in options. If that's the dystopian future of the medium, at least make it well done. Even the most basic PC viewers like Honeyview let you pick and save a zoom level. It's a must.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heavy Metal posted:

I did like when Image used to do it on their site, and many books would still let you get that DRM free download on comixology. Not allowing that option anymore is corporate lameness up the wazoo.

I gotta have it in Perfect Viewer, gotta have zoom fix remembered between pages, and it's nice to have it to backup in case a service goes awol later on etc.

I don't understand how comixology's viewer is so terrible and lacking in options. If that's the dystopian future of the medium, at least make it well done. Even the most basic PC viewers like Honeyview let you pick and save a zoom level. It's a must.

Prime Video is the absolute worst streaming service in terms of browsing for something new to watch that isn't something they're pushing atm. Not surprising the UI for Comixology has not improved at all since Amazon bought them.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

It could be worse - the Kindle comic reader has less functionality than the comixology one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

I got Cursed Earth and The Dark Judges from them in like 2014 and they files were low res and double page spreads were presented as two individual pages. Last I looked, I couldn't get (or one didn't exist) a higher res file. (I got some newer stuff that was fine.)

Though Humble Bundle files also have the broken up double page spreads.

I know I can fix it in the CBR/CBZ files, but that's a lot of work...

Example page from Dark Judges:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

When you're right you're right, kinks to work out there. Their recent stuff is high res at least. Definitely higher quality than back when they were on clickwheel. And their vintage releases seem to be fixed up compared to then too, here's that Judge Death bit from Case Files 3 (via the Humble Bundle release, which seems the same as their own site's release):

But definitely, all Bolland art should be in even more pristine form than that. It belongs in a museum!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

When you're right you're right, kinks to work out there. Their recent stuff is high res at least. Definitely higher quality than back when they were on clickwheel. And their vintage releases seem to be fixed up compared to then too, here's that Judge Death bit from Case Files 3 (via the Humble Bundle release, which seems the same as their own site's release):

But definitely, all Bolland art should be in even more pristine form than that. It belongs in a museum!

You belong in a museum.

(I was just going with the Indiana Jones reference, I agree with you).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah, Indiana Roasted :wal:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Listen
Marvels comic app is the worst

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Listen
Marvels comic app is the worst

I have an iPad now and it's got dang amazing compared to the Android version.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1435956003250581505?s=19

https://twitter.com/NotLasers/status/1435957848165523458?s=19

site fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 9, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh poo poo, unlimited downloading is loving awesome.

Edit: more on depth explanation of the changes.
https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...impression=true

quote:

Users will also be able to save an entire series or run of issues to their libraries with one tap, instead of having to laboriously save individual issues.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 9, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nice. I have issues with issues (heh) loading part way and I need to reboot but I don't download because I hate managing the library due to the limit. This would let me get a run and read without interruption and keep them saved until I stop needing to reference the issues for my reading club.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I'm assuming I'm just a big dummy. In the new MU app, when I finish an issue, I don't see a Home button or much of anything beyond continuing the series I'm reading an issue of, even though it's the newest issue and there are no more to proceed on to..

Also, all the New This Week is packed with some of the new online only books, but it's tough to see what the new standard releases are. I only see Black Cat and Immortal Hulk in there besides the digital onlies. It didn't even seem to list all of those either.

It feels like I have to be just blind to things or completely misunderstanding something, because these seem pretty basic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is it a totally new app or an update to the existing one?

I still have the old one on my iPad, I don't see an update, but I don't really know how to use iOS.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

On Android at least it was an update.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Is it a totally new app or an update to the existing one?

I still have the old one on my iPad, I don't see an update, but I don't really know how to use iOS.

It seems to sort of be both. They pushed it as an update on Android but it seems to uninstall the old app and install a new one

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's just an update on iOS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I see it now. [Insert rant about iOS and app stores.]

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

New MU update is so bad I might unsub. Library is series only now? Can't read issues in publication order without a loving guide then. can't search by date anymore either.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Update completely wiped my library, so that's also great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Update completely wiped my library, so that's also great.

I've been hearing reports about that. Mine is fine, wouldn't have been huge deal had it been wiped, but it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Mine is useless since it's all sorted by series so I can't read chronologically without a guide

edit: ended up sideloading the previous version and now it's usable again

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 11, 2021