Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is data scientist really a lower-tier title in software development?

I don't think it's lower, but I'm trying to de-emphasize it partly because of what bob dobbs said any partly because I don't want another data science role. I've had a few recruiters reach out looking for people with ML/AI experience and maybe I'll kick myself in the rear end for it but it just doesn't interest me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I flipped the switch on my profile to be looking for jobs this morning, and I've received 8 messages from recruiters so far. I also updated my title, profile image, and banner per this guide https://egghead.io/talks/egghead-how-social-media-can-land-you-your-dream-job. I've started responding to each of them with my salary/benefits expectations to help filter out what's not worth my time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

if you include insurance and vacation time in your TC you're gonna confuse a lot of people. TC = salary + bonus + stockstuff

I've had places pull that poo poo at offer time. "Well with, Salary, Bonus, 401k matching, insurance, ride-share assistance brings the TC to..."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hughlander posted:

I've had places pull that poo poo at offer time. "Well with, Salary, Bonus, 401k matching, insurance, ride-share assistance brings the TC to..."
The free coffee, supply closet full of paper clips, toilet paper - it adds up!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

I remember the first time I ever started looking for a new job a recruiter trying to use total comp like this. Trying to tell me that anytime I hear a higher salary for developers it's because they aren't mentioning they are talking total comp. His definition of total comp included, all your PTO converted to cash(regardless of if the company even allowed that or not), full price of insurance, all the in office "perks" like snacks, and any other poo poo they wanted to claim. I think he even worked poo poo like WFH in there. I very much remember that it felt like he was trying to say actually no, developers don't make all that much money, they just add up all the perks!

My current job has unlimited PTO(A cursed blessing!), I wanna use his formula to say that my current total compensation is infinite, but a place can pick me up for the low low value of $250k total comp.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

wilderthanmild posted:

I remember the first time I ever started looking for a new job a recruiter trying to use total comp like this. Trying to tell me that anytime I hear a higher salary for developers it's because they aren't mentioning they are talking total comp. His definition of total comp included, all your PTO converted to cash(regardless of if the company even allowed that or not), full price of insurance, all the in office "perks" like snacks, and any other poo poo they wanted to claim. I think he even worked poo poo like WFH in there. I very much remember that it felt like he was trying to say actually no, developers don't make all that much money, they just add up all the perks!

My current job has unlimited PTO(A cursed blessing!), I wanna use his formula to say that my current total compensation is infinite, but a place can pick me up for the low low value of $250k total comp.

250k _is_ pretty low total comp if you have experience. Especially for bay area.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I wouldn't say "pretty low" - probably slightly above median - but I would definitely say it's underwhelming for the Bay Area. I tried to link Levels here but it got hosed up.

I wrapped the last of my interviews up this cycle and have two offers I'm deciding between that are both extremely nice salaries for remote work. The amount of LeetCode grinding I did paid off but I would prefer to never go through that grind again.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

one thing also to keep in mind is that people's TC number oftentimes has stock appreciation in the mix. there's no way google would hire me for my TC out of the gate (well, tbh they probably would, but at L+1...that's a different topic), but thanks to my initial grant being at like $1200 and GOOG being at $2900 or so it's kinda silly. my TC-as-granted is between L and L+1 on levels.fyi, as-vested it's between L+1 and L+2

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Just interviewed with the VP of product development for a backend engineer / architect position. It would be as close of a fit as possible for the role I'm looking for. It's what I do now, plus what I want to do next. I feel really good about the interview and the company. The higher end of the range they quoted (150k) is probably under what I'd need to make it an easy decision to leave based on money alone.

I posted earlier about the pension (and certain other retirement options) at my existing company where I've been for 10 years. Making some wild assumptions and using some sketchy net present value math, my estimate is that if this company gives me a $35k signing bonus that I invest at a 7% return until I retire, I would come out even. The golden handcuffs don't seem as shiny when I crunch the numbers.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats way the gently caress into (the cash portion of) midlevel ic land in figgieland prime, whats your location

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats way the gently caress into (the cash portion of) midlevel ic land in figgieland prime, whats your location

Position is in Colorado (fully remote) I live in the Midwest/great plains. My total comp is 129k with 12 years of experience. I assume the 150k quoted to me was the total comp

downout
Jul 6, 2009

yard salad posted:

Position is in Colorado (fully remote) I live in the Midwest/great plains. My total comp is 129k with 12 years of experience. I assume the 150k quoted to me was the total comp

That's not a good assumption.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

yard salad posted:

I'm in Austin; that's closer to what I would expect for base.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

downout posted:

That's not a good assumption.

If you're quoted a number, it's almost certainly total comp. It makes no sense to quote salary only and not even clarify.

If it's a nonpublic company than it may just be the cash portion though I would expect clarification.

asur fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 2, 2021

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

asur posted:

If you're quoted a number, it's almost certainly total comp. It makes no sense to quote salary only and not even clarify.

In my experience it's always just base when they just quote one number. It's usually also total comp (or a newbie at giving offers).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I’ve never had an offer that threw out a total comp number rather than a salary and separate details about bonus / equity. That said, I haven’t interviewed with that many public companies so maybe it’s different when the equity has a more well defined value.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

asur posted:

If it's a nonpublic company than it may just be the cash portion though I would expect clarification.

That'd be a good question to ask in the negotiation thread. I'd expect if only a number range was provided to be base salary range, but then they'd probably say more about additional compensation (annual bonus, equity, and other) if they were offering it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My virtual onsite with Google I had 1 system design, 3 algo, 1 behavioral 45 min each. If I bombed 1 of the algo but did good-great on the other 4 do I have any chance?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

My virtual onsite with Google I had 1 system design, 3 algo, 1 behavioral 45 min each. If I bombed 1 of the algo but did good-great on the other 4 do I have any chance?

My experience with goog is you need to nail all of it. I've had similar feelings several times and always got the "it was very close, but we decided against" message. :shrug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

depends how hard you bomb and which interview. if they say strong no hire, you're probably done. same if you're an rear end in a top hat in the "decent human being" interview. but the system is designed to be robust to a bad interviewer, especially if their reasoning isn't great. of course the system is tuned to accept false-no-hire ratings as a cost of lowering false-hire ratings so it's not like "letting all the good people in" is number one priority, but a single LNH - especially on an algo interview - shouldn't tank you.

anecdotally, i'd be really surprised if one of my interviews wasn't at best leaning-no-hire and my paycheck says "google" on it :shrug: i have no way of knowing what he actually rated me, though, google makes sure you can't really find out.

it's also worth knowing that i won the lottery in that one of my interviewers (randomly, I asked later and it's a question he always asks) asked me a question that i've presented on and stuff in the past so i was able to go into full SME nerd mode and that probably helped my case a lot.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 2, 2021

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Is it still figgieland if I'm employed by a SV company but live on the East Coast? What's the numerical cutoff?

I signed an offer this morning.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
figgieland is an employer phenomenon

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What's the numerical cutoff?

Being able to save/put away an average American family income.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

gbut posted:

Being able to save/put away an average American family income.

I'm single with no family, I was doing this even while living in NYC and I have 1.75x'd my annual income with my new offer.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Looking for advice on a 2 year resume gap.

I quit my last job in May 2019 to go traveling. I did that until the pandemic hit (6ish months) and I had enough savings where I wanted to see if I could ride it out before finding another job. Well, 2 years and Delta later it's pretty clear that's not happening so I'm going to start looking for work again. Unfortunately I've been pretty stressed out about the pandemic and so I've spent most of that time playing video games, watching netflix, and doing nothing so there's a pretty big hole there. For the past couple of months I've been working through leetcode and DS + Algos stuff so my plan when asked about the gap is to be honest and say all that.

Something like "I quit to go travelling for a while and when the pandemic hit I was hoping to ride it out relaxing and because I don't have a traditional CS background, working on building my data structures and algorithms knowledge. Now that I've been vaccinated and remote jobs are more available I'm ready to get back to it."

Thoughts?
FWIW : 4 years of experience in webdev. With all the leetcoding I want to try to shoot my shot with the FAANGS too, will I get auto-rejected with the gap?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Is it still figgieland if I'm employed by a SV company but live on the East Coast? What's the numerical cutoff?

My metric is "Do I make more individually than married couples who aren't developers?" I had some friends who made more than me combined before my recent raise and it slightly irritated me. That's fixed now.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

College Rockout posted:

Something like "I quit to go travelling for a while and when the pandemic hit I was hoping to ride it out relaxing and because I don't have a traditional CS background, working on building my data structures and algorithms knowledge. Now that I've been vaccinated and remote jobs are more available I'm ready to get back to it."

Thoughts?
FWIW : 4 years of experience in webdev. With all the leetcoding I want to try to shoot my shot with the FAANGS too, will I get auto-rejected with the gap?

The gap is going to work against you in general, because some people look down on 'not working' as some kind of personal failing. But there's no point in second guessing who might be stupid about it. Your planned explanation is reasonable (though I might take out the part about 'relaxing' and just say you were educating yourself during the pandemic when it was more difficult to find a job), so just start applying.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Caring for a sick family member" is a pretty good excuse for a gap in your resume.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I absolutely have no idea why I passed the Google approval process. I’m not gonna question it, but hearing more about that process, the more impostor syndrome starts to set in. :gonk: Hard to fight off sometimes.

:bubblewoop:

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

I'm single with no family, I was doing this even while living in NYC and I have 1.75x'd my annual income with my new offer.

Congrats!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Thank y'all. I'm thrilled but also there's a little part of me that feels the dread of having to do this again in the future. LeetCode is fun, but the stress of doing it so much is not.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Thank y'all. I'm thrilled but also there's a little part of me that feels the dread of having to do this again in the future. LeetCode is fun, but the stress of doing it so much is not.

Why do you have to do it again in the future?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Congrats!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are you willing to say where you landed?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've been openly discussing it in SA code if you're there! I am also happy to offer it up in PMs but I'm not confident enough with my post history to tie myself to this account, even if that's just paranoia. I'll DM you ;)

pokeyman posted:

Why do you have to do it again in the future?

I assume I won't be here forever? I mean I'm only 33 and probably a good 7+ years away from wanting to be a manager.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 2, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I assume I won't be here forever? I mean I'm only 33 and probably a good 7+ years away from wanting to be a manager.

Maybe you'll love it and want to stay!

But really I was thinking of the many jobs that don't require such a gauntlet, also who knows what the hot new interviewing approach will be in a few years.

Mostly though, congrats on the big raise!

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

The gap is going to work against you in general, because some people look down on 'not working' as some kind of personal failing. But there's no point in second guessing who might be stupid about it. Your planned explanation is reasonable (though I might take out the part about 'relaxing' and just say you were educating yourself during the pandemic when it was more difficult to find a job), so just start applying.

Thanks for the feedback, and point taking on the relaxing part.

FMguru posted:

"Caring for a sick family member" is a pretty good excuse for a gap in your resume.

This has popped into my head a couple of times but with the general state of the world I don't want to tempt fate haha

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pollyanna posted:

I absolutely have no idea why I passed the Google approval process. I’m not gonna question it, but hearing more about that process, the more impostor syndrome starts to set in. :gonk: Hard to fight off sometimes.

It really looks like they lighten up for more junior positions. I'd be going in starting at a senior position and it looks like they expect I can just poo poo out the fast solution the first time without any discussion. I can't tell you if that's a counter to my shortcomings in other areas (not having done distributed systems and having spent the past 9 years being an individual contributor doing scripting). Maybe somebody else can speculate? But I don't want to turn this too much around to me bitching about my life. I'll do that in another post.

I've been openly discussing it in SA code if you're there! I am also happy to offer it up in PMs but I'm not confident enough with my post history to tie myself to this account, even if that's just paranoia. I'll DM you ;)
I'd like to know too because I'm assuming Google didn't work out. I'd be curious what level you were applying for, what happened, and anything you were told afterwards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Could you go in as a junior at Google and then within a year or two get back to your old salary, or do they really drag out the promotions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Could you go in as a junior at Google and then within a year or two get back to your old salary, or do they really drag out the promotions

you take a title drop to work there, not a comp drop. if you can't negotiate an increase in comp don't take the offer. you shouldn't treat that as different from a rejection unless your current job is just the worst thing ever that is killing you.

i was making more than my old job (but with a lower title) on day 1. a little over two years later and i'm not promoted but i do make more than twice my old comp