Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still wanna watch the US Taskmaster for Funches and Kate Berlant but it sounds worse and worse every time it gets brought up

Anyway taking a small break after finally catching up with the UK show. Charlotte Ritchie is so adorably useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The '70s Match Game was a wild show, even considering the S&P restrictions of the day. Nothing very recent, though, at least not to my knowledge.

There's a modern Match Game on ABC hosted by Alec Baldwin and that has some bawdy unscripted energy, but idk how much in comparison to the 70's one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a modern Match Game on ABC hosted by Alec Baldwin and that has some bawdy unscripted energy, but idk how much in comparison to the 70's one.

Well, there's one easy way to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2blf1vXZlGs

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Finally got round to following up on Aphex and Pablo Bluth's suggestion to listen to Joe Thomas on Off Menu. That 24 hour lamb story was very funny...

It's the end of series 4 on the podcast this week, so time for one final lot of thoughts:

Cash: beyond the initial laugh over the mercantile nature of the category, the question becomes "most in what sense?" Hugh and Joe each claim a unique "most": most denominational value and most cash by weight. Both are good creative answers in my book. Mel blunders by spending an astonishing amount on the part of the prize that anyone can see will get disregarded. And of course, Lolly pulls the old Al Murray and steamrollers into first.

Sandwich: Lovely to see the role-reversal for Mel in this one, and her sandwich is suitably bake-off in flavour. And the "oh, gang" of defeat...
One of my fave moments is the audience getting ahead of the joke when Noel learns he needs to eat his sandwich. And while Alex often challenges contestants when they're riding the line during a task, he's unusually forthright on this occasion, observing Noel hasn't eaten the "filling".

Golf: classic task here, you can play along deciding which combination you'd use. Is snooker cue and cheese the best option on offer? Could Lolly's rounders technique have worked better with other instruments? Obviously props to Noel on his incredible strike.

Duck: I'd forgotten about this task, and it's surprising that two attempts occured in studio. Joe really pushed the boat out here, but Hugh's really tickles me, like a silly dad joke. And Noel's attempt has a lot going on, the Duck's side of the family, the rice, the dress, Tim Key. Mel's victory here is a little baffling.

Duck: Another game theory task to round things off, but the drawings all have more going on than just entering into the competition. Personally I think Mel's co-median duck deserved more credit than the audience reaction gave it. And great to see Greg forensically demolish a contestant one final time when Joe tried to label his entry to victory.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Heavy_D posted:

Finally got round to following up on Aphex and Pablo Bluth's suggestion to listen to Joe Thomas on Off Menu. That 24 hour lamb story was very funny...
I've just realised they did a Christmas follow-up on the lamb story, with Willie Harcourt-Cooze and Joe Thomas both on the podcast.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just finished watching Season 3, with Al 'Moneybags' Murray. That bucket task in the final episode :laffo:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve reached the show’s zenith, I presume it’s basically downhill from here.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 18, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

u brexit ukip it posted:

Just finished watching Season 3, with Al 'Moneybags' Murray. That bucket task in the final episode :laffo:

hahaha i just watched that before bed last night and was cracking up so hard when Alex breaks down for cash. Still, +1 to Al for knowing how to siphon properly.

I also liked that he recognized morse-code. I assume you don't get your phone for these tasks, cause my instinct would've been to look it up to read. I think if in bizarro world I got on the show, I'd be overly looking at all tasks for secret victories or hidden objects and waste so much time.

Has anyone tried the board game version of Taskmaster?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
David is easily the best TM contestant ever.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
If you’re not watching season 2 of NZ Taskmaster you’re seriously missing out. While I still greatly prefer the UK version because of Alex and Greg the NZ version and especially this season is maybe up their with my favorite stuff Taskmaster has ever done. Last nights episode 7 had a caravan task that was an instant classic. The tasks seem so much more original on the NZ series so far. I’m loving it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Disappointing Pie posted:

If you’re not watching season 2 of NZ Taskmaster you’re seriously missing out. While I still greatly prefer the UK version because of Alex and Greg the NZ version and especially this season is maybe up their with my favorite stuff Taskmaster has ever done. Last nights episode 7 had a caravan task that was an instant classic. The tasks seem so much more original on the NZ series so far. I’m loving it.

:hmmyes:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, NZ 2 is right up there with UK 5 and 7 as an all-time Taskmaster season.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I honestly think episode 7 might be one of the best TM episodes ever.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I want David Correos to show up on the UK version, same with Laura Daniel they both have been knocking it out of the park. Laura stealing nearly everyone's girlfriend for a prize task is one of the greatest prize task entries ever.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

David turning the corner and screaming after his attempt at the scotch hopscotch task is maybe one of my Top 5 TM moments.

Really all of his reactions to his attempts are just so wonderful.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I will fight to the end of my days to say David was robbed for his nude exhibition changing the atmosphere of the room

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

woke kaczynski posted:

I will fight to the end of my days to say David was robbed for his nude exhibition changing the atmosphere of the room

Especially with how lovely Matt Heath's circus was.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

woke kaczynski posted:

Hard agree.

Don't sleep on Guy Montgomery's amazingly deadpan quips.

I started the season hating Matt Heath, but he's done such a poo poo job and owned it so well that I'm on board now. Giving away 200 cds of your band that didn't sell? Brilliant stuff.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I have that album and it's just endless bland pseudogrunge.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Jaguars! posted:

I have that album and it's just endless bland pseudogrunge.

Laura Daniel?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The first time I saw Matt Heath, I thought he was out was related to Jeff Goldblum

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
god, i hadn't thought of deja voodoo for at least a decade

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watched s2e1 of NZ last night. It’s very good. Paul Williams reminded me of Matt Smith’s Doctor when he was standing around sometimes.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The "I've finished...just repeating what your dad said"/"completing the set" exchange on TM NZ this week was my fav moment, even though the caravan task was also excellent, and the live task might be Jeremy's finest hour on the show.

Just finished listening to the S04E08 podcast, two interesting points
- they ran the numbers, and it will come as no surprise to learn that Noel has the highest average score in Taskmaster history for subjective tasks
- the podcast is pausing until Series 12 begins - which suggests that's less than 8 weeks away. That makes it likely there won't be much downtime between TM NZ ending and TM UK starting.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The balloon task twist was pretty cool. Might have been better on a longer more controlled task though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

drunken officeparty posted:

The balloon task twist was pretty cool. Might have been better on a longer more controlled task though.

I really enjoyed the twist, but it didn't quite payoff as well as it could have. I'd like to see other TM's pull that twist during a team task.

Another very fun TM NZ ep though. I enjoyed all the time travel takes and Jeremy continues to be much looser, more fun and more Taskmaster-y than in the first series.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.paulskeyemporium.com/

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I was trying to look up the candle task and I got this majesty instead. Thanks algorithm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3T460tQy_g

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Watching S1E4 of Taskmaster NZ and the "hide a vegetable" task wasn't scored in accordance with the task :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The joys of working in central London.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That 'First Date' Task was ridiculous.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That 'First Date' Task was ridiculous.

That’s the most I’ve seen Paul break during a task.

—-

Also I just love how simple but inventive the NZ tasks have been. One small complaint I’ve had of the UK series the last couple years has been overly complicated and rule heavy tasks. NZ seems to be able to naturally limit the contestants while still seeming fun.

And Jeremy while his scoring is still a bit wtf a lot of time has really started to find his groove. I wish he’d loosen up a little more but he’s getting way better.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 2, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I really appreciated the novelty of the sabotaging mechanic in a team task. Probably the best way to balance a 3 v 2 task, although you can't really use it twice.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

It was good to see Paul demonstrate he's a triple threat: he can sing, dance, and administrate tasks.

There are a couple of tasks that I really hope end up in one of the international versions eventually, like the time travel task from last week, or the art heist from this week. They're really great tasks, and they both seem like they have unfulfilled potential, nobody quite nailed them. Kongen Befaler used the toaster live task from TM NZ at the end of their most recent series so it has precedent.

Urzila approaches her tasks with that same note of suspicion that Aisling Bea brought to things, seeing ulterior motives behind all the tasks. For some reason, her lobbing a juice box at Paul during their "date" has stayed with me as one of the funniest moments in the episode.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Heavy_D posted:

It was good to see Paul demonstrate he's a triple threat: he can sing, dance, and administrate tasks.

There are a couple of tasks that I really hope end up in one of the international versions eventually, like the time travel task from last week, or the art heist from this week. They're really great tasks, and they both seem like they have unfulfilled potential, nobody quite nailed them. Kongen Befaler used the toaster live task from TM NZ at the end of their most recent series so it has precedent.

Urzila approaches her tasks with that same note of suspicion that Aisling Bea brought to things, seeing ulterior motives behind all the tasks. For some reason, her lobbing a juice box at Paul during their "date" has stayed with me as one of the funniest moments in the episode.

Urzila's casual harassment of Paul is up there with James Acaster's ignoring of Alex

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Also I just love how simple but inventive the NZ tasks have been. One small complaint I’ve had of the UK series the last couple years has been overly complicated and rule heavy tasks. NZ seems to be able to naturally limit the contestants while still seeming fun.

"Do/make a thing. Most ___ thing wins" tasks are usually great, and late in the season you can start to predict who might do what. Like the ties, we had to all see that coming.

But I also loved the walking directions being elaborate enough to overthink and ask for bad help, underthink and hope a wet finger tells you where north is, or just deduce what Paul wanted.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like the UK one has those complex ones because enough people in a given round just laterally solving the task can get boring and its been around long enough that lots of participants are wise to it

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

"Best Desert" should be used in every iteration of the show because it's absolutely amazing. (Also the, "Leave the room." task.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like the UK one has those complex ones because enough people in a given round just laterally solving the task can get boring and its been around long enough that lots of participants are wise to it

It comes down to who is in the series really, but I guess they won't really have a sense for how the contestants are going to solve tasks until the show has already started and it's too late to change anything. The best is when you have a mix of lateral thinkers, ones that take the most straightforward approach, and ones that just immediately panic. One of my favorite tasks in the whole show was the "what's in the briefcase" task from Champion of Champions, where they had a bunch of different options and every single person took a completely different approach. That sort of thing is probably very hard to plan, though, and CoC has the advantage of them already having a good idea of what everyone's approach to tasks is going to be from their original appearances on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

A different variation on the Lincoln Zoom task would work really well for other TM's. I don't know if you'd get a result as good as David and Guy having lunch just before they got the call though.