Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Eh, im not sure werewolves needed to have the mechanic changed like that, but i guess its harmless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

fadam posted:

What's the big obvious application for the tapped deathtouch guy I'm missing? I guess if there's a tapper you can get some nice blocks?

off the top of my head, your creatures are a nightmare to block and your pingers just kill things

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh poo poo, the nightbound change to permanents entering the battlefield is kinda nuts

e: so wait, does this mean if werewolves from previous sets transform via casting no spells, it becomes night as a game state?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

What's the big obvious application for the tapped deathtouch guy I'm missing? I guess if there's a tapper you can get some nice blocks?

Untap an attacker whos being bolted seems most relevant to limited. Its got wierd applications for the deathtouch but thats harder to make work

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Eh, im not sure werewolves needed to have the mechanic changed like that, but i guess its harmless

Gives more depth to the mechanic, since now things can ETB night side up, and they can print cards that just make it night time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Making day and night a global mechanic is kinda cool.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

oh poo poo, the nightbound change to permanents entering the battlefield is kinda nuts

e: so wait, does this mean if werewolves from previous sets transform via casting no spells, it becomes night as a game state?

Unless they errata all the werewolf DFCs, no.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Danger Diabolik posted:

off the top of my head, your creatures are a nightmare to block and your pingers just kill things

Oh yeah, that's true. That's kind of cool.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Untap an attacker whos being bolted seems most relevant to limited. Its got wierd applications for the deathtouch but thats harder to make work

Ya, as a standard mom-ish effect with other upside that's not too bad I think.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

Gives more depth to the mechanic, since now things can ETB night side up, and they can print cards that just make it night time.

also now you can have non-permanents that care if it's day or night

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To me the biggest change is that werewolf transforming is actually a mechanic you can build your deck around to some degree now, rather than something which just happens mostly at random. In a flash deck playing cards with similar designs to Nightpack Ambusher you can reliably activate nighttime and power up your cards, while under the old mechanic your opponent could always just cast a spell in your turn and stop you.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Bring back the naked flame woman from the middle earth ccg, imo. Or other equivalent naked flame women from magic cards, I guess.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Daybreak Coronet Erata when?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To me the biggest change is that werewolf transforming is actually a mechanic you can build your deck around to some degree now, rather than something which just happens mostly at random. In a flash deck playing cards with similar designs to Nightpack Ambusher you can reliably activate nighttime and power up your cards, while under the old mechanic your opponent could always just cast a spell in your turn and stop you.

The biggest change to me is that werewolves can now be cast pre-transformed, IMO.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Thats cute with Fynn.

resistentialism posted:

Bring back the naked flame woman from the middle earth ccg, imo. Or other equivalent naked flame women from magic cards, I guess.

Last printed in core 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hot

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Oh, it's actually exactly the same artist doing pretty much the same character. Pretty good gig there Melissa.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Framboise posted:

Making day and night a global mechanic is kinda cool.

It was the original mechanic that got scrapped in innistrad dev.

Also Daybound, aaAAaa.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Silhouette posted:

Angle shooting is something scummy like the Borborygmos thing, the LSV vampire token thing is just a great example of mind games, which are an integral part of high level magic.

Also it was used against Jeremy Dezani, who outside of his PT win is best known for getting caught begging vendors for lists of cards that other Worlds competitors bought from them, as well as salting off on opponents at professional REL events and getting DQ’d from a PT for lying to a judge.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Isn't he also the guy who threw his deck at the wall after losing a match?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

White mythic 1ww
When white mythic ETBs, transform all nightbound permanents.
Counter any effect that would transform daybound permanents.

2/1

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Was there a rules article with that spoiler? For day/night I mean because right now it's written as a trigger which means that if you have X daybound creatures, and you find a way to have half of them be nightbound (say, moonmist, or immerwolf) then if I cast two spells, and you cast none, bolth the night bound and daybound creatures will trigger and it'll shift from day to night and back again as many times as you stack it to.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

Was there a rules article with that spoiler? For day/night I mean because right now it's written as a trigger which means that if you have X daybound creatures, and you find a way to have half of them be nightbound (say, moonmist, or immerwolf) then if I cast two spells, and you cast none, bolth the night bound and daybound creatures will trigger and it'll shift from day to night and back again as many times as you stack it to.

day turning to night and night turning to day happens on the next turn, not the current turn. you can't cause both to happen because the game state is either night or day for that current turn, regardless of whether your creatures are currently nightbound or daybound.

edit: furthermore if you have both nightbound creatures and daybound creatures on your board, you can only cause one of the two abilities to go off because it only goes off based on the spells the active player casts on their turn, and it's impossible for a single player to have both cast 0 and 2+ spells in a given turn

basically i have no idea how you tied yourself up in knots like this

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 2, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

They're semi unofficial leaks. There's an official spoiler deal tomorrow at noon eastern on twitch, the mechanics article will probably come out when that's done.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Isn't he also the guy who threw his deck at the wall after losing a match?

Yep! It was at PT Born of the Gods after losing to Sam Pardee. He won the prior PT too (Theros)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

day turning to night and night turning to day happens on the next turn, not the current turn. you can't cause both to happen because the game state is either night or day for that current turn, regardless of whether your creatures are currently nightbound or daybound.

edit: furthermore if you have both nightbound creatures and daybound creatures on your board, you can only cause one of the two abilities to go off because it only goes off based on the spells the active player casts on their turn, and it's impossible for a single player to have both cast 0 and 2+ spells in a given turn

basically i have no idea how you tied yourself up in knots like this

What, to you, does the daybound keyword mean?
Because the example we have says "If a player did this, do that next turn" it doesn't say you can only do it if it's day, it says that if the condition is true change the state next turn. I already explained how you can get the cards to be wrong side up by forcing or preventing their normal transformation. So, as written without clear rules, you're going to have different cards saying the state to change to different outcomes.
E:
I have newArlin in play, and it's day.
I cast NewWerewolf and then cast Moonlight, which transforms it into is Nightbound side.
I pass the turn .
Now I have a Nightbound card that sees a player had cast two spells and wants to turn things to day
And I have a Daybound card that sees a player (my opponent) had cast no spells and wants to make things night. There is currently nothing to say what happens.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 2, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are reminder tokens in the same post you're reading the arlinn planeswalker in

also, again, there's no way for a player to cast both zero spells and two or more spells in their same turn

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

What, to you, does the daybound keyword mean?
Because the example we have says "If a player did this, do that next turn" it doesn't say you can only do it if it's day, it says that if the condition is true change the state next turn. I already explained how you can get the cards to be wrong side up by forcing or preventing their normal transformation. So, as written without clear rules, you're going to have different cards saying the state to change to different outcomes.
E:
I have newArlin in play, and it's day.
I cast NewWerewolf and then cast Moonlight, which transforms it into is Nightbound side.
I pass the turn .
Now I have a Nightbound card that sees a player had cast two spells and wants to turn things to day
And I have a Daybound card that sees a player (my opponent) had cast no spells and wants to make things night. There is currently nothing to say what happens.

Says right on the cards that Daybound/Nightbound only cares if the 0/2 were cast by a player during their own turn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Spoiler season got me. Yeah your own turn

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

Spoiler season got me. Yeah your own turn

what does this even mean?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

what does this even mean?

It means I missed the "on your own turn" line on a card that's making me squint to read

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fadam posted:

You play it with big tramplers and then they have the trample+deathtouch combo when attacking so even big creatures can't effectively block them.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I just played an AFG draft game where my opponent missed a land turn three after I played a two drop and a three drop. My next six spells were all counter spells.

Felt loving monstrous.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have been out of the magic loop for a little bit but jesus loving christ are all of these real?

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1433215300564971523?s=20

every one of those things sounds terrible.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dragging the game out against that dumb combo deck with no win condition was 100% the correct and good thing to do. In an actual real magic tournament, that deck with no wincons could not ever successfully win a game because the match would go to time long before the other player milled out naturally, and it would end in a draw. As this is better than losing, it's objectively the good play and should further discourage people from playing those terrible decks.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 2, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Entropic posted:

I have been out of the magic loop for a little bit but jesus loving christ are all of these real?

They’re real and they’re spectacular

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

It's Warhammer 40,000 commander decks, specifically.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

The Shortest Path posted:

Dragging the game out against that dumb combo deck with no win condition was 100% the correct and good thing to do. In an actual realagic tournament, that deck with no wincons could not ever successfully win a game because the match would go to time long before the other player milled out naturally, and it would end in a draw. As this is better than losing, it's objectively the good play and should further discourage people from playing those terrible decks.

Why is a deck that plays it's way into a position in which it can't lose and wins by milling you out inherently terrible?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/JoeManganiello/status/1432996523650994178?t=PeDXf6K7DLvgpbz2I_bnGg&s=19

This seems like a decade late as far as timely cross promotion but they could certainly do worse.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Why is a deck that plays it's way into a position in which it can't lose and wins by milling you out inherently terrible?

Because real games have time limits and relying on natural draws to mill your opponent out within that time limit is not reliable against many decks.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Shortest Path posted:

Dragging the game out against that dumb combo deck with no win condition was 100% the correct and good thing to do. In an actual realagic tournament, that deck with no wincons could not ever successfully win a game because the match would go to time long before the other player milled out naturally, and it would end in a draw. As this is better than losing, it's objectively the good play and should further discourage people from playing those terrible decks.

Wrong.

If your opponent has no ability to win, but deliberately plays slowly to try and reach the clock draw, then a judge will DQ them for Stalling. And if they don't deliberately play slowly there's plenty of time to get through 53 turns for a 1-0 win.

(Not to mention that the point of the book lock isn't to just assemble the lock and wait for your opponent to deck out, that's the backup plan if assembling the lock and then not needing to worry about your life total while you put together enough of a board to attack down your opponent doesn't work out).

Jabor fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 2, 2021