Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Keetron posted:

When I was reading this, all I could think of was: relax and get a bigger journal, they come in A4 / letter size.

That sounds good, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Yeah? Is there a reason why you shouldn't? Covid doesn't count

Driving in downtown Chicago is rear end.

Chip McFuck posted:

Which one are you thinking of going to? I love Atlas's wall of notebooks. I'm sad that Anderson's is closed, but I heard they're reopening it next month!

See that's what I'd likely get, though I have a nice one en route already!

Also I'd rather go up to Anderson up in Appleton. Yeah further drive but you don't deal with downtown Chicago.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Is the Diamine Inkvent calendar worth it? I keep going back and forth on it

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
God dammnit I'm working a Delta pen this week, and it's a model I don't have.

WHY DO YOU MOCK ME, OH CRUEL, CRUEL WORLD

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Niemat posted:

Is the Diamine Inkvent calendar worth it? I keep going back and forth on it

Oh, I'm not happy that I know this exists now.

ETA: that overpriced dip pen looks neat mostly because they seem to get really consistent lines that I've never managed to get with one of my glass pens. It's possible that this is a problem that could be solved with better technique.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I got the Diamine Inkvent calendar one year and it's very fun! A great way to practice your dip pen technique, too, since there's a new ink to try each day. By December 14th I had much more consistent writing using my glass dip pen than before.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah ha ha ha

Client asked me if I could grind their pen to write broader

Of course I said yes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate money.

I now have one of these on order

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

That looks really neat! Out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there between the nib on a cheap pen (like the Metro) and the nib on a high end pen? I know the nicer pens use higher end metals, but is the machining very different? I'm still really happy with my Metro, but I'm thinking about asking for a cool pen next birthday/Christmas/whatever.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

I have one on order as well from Pen Chalet.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
It’s complicated. You can absolutely manufacture a flexible steel nib, you can absolutely grind it smooth as you like in any shape.

BUT

Broadly speaking, though, the more you pay, the more effort goes into the pen. Fancy grinds, exciting materials, hand-tuning etc.

E: it’s easier to make a bunch
Bouncy nib from gold, too.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Uganda Loves Me posted:

That looks really neat! Out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there between the nib on a cheap pen (like the Metro) and the nib on a high end pen? I know the nicer pens use higher end metals, but is the machining very different? I'm still really happy with my Metro, but I'm thinking about asking for a cool pen next birthday/Christmas/whatever.

The real answer is "there is none" because a high end nib, if it has even a minor defect, can be as poor a writer as a mass produced low-end nib. It really varies from individual pen to pen more than between actual dollar amounts. Some of my best writers are my cheapest, and my most expensive pen writes like poo poo. As far as materials are concerned, there is a difference between steel and gold, but that difference is really a matter of preference. I've experimented by handing pens to friends who are not pen people and asking them which felt better, knowing only that the nibs were different materials (using a black VP gold nib, and a gold-colored steel Capless nib) and the opinions were pretty split.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Obviously it varies a ton based on price and brand and what ink you're using and all other kinds of factors, but personally I haven't found that there's much difference in the actual writing experience between, say, a Metro and a more expensive steel-nibbed pen, at least not with any consistency. I have one TWSBI that weirdly writes smoother than anything other than my most expensive gold-nibbed pens, but I have another pen of the same model with ostensibly the same nib that's just fine.

I've only really found a difference in writing in the jump from steel to gold, and my two gold-nibbed pens are the best writers I have. You can definitely have worse steel nibs and better steel nibs, but I think the quality of Metros are a good indication of the sort of theoretical "middle" writing quality of steel nibs. It's possible I'm buying the wrong sorts of steel-nibbed pens, or just getting unlucky, but most of my steel nib pens write just fine, but aren't particularly remarkable.

If I had to guess, the more money you pay for a pen with a steel nib, the more you're paying for body material/craftsmanship, filling mechanism, bells and whistles, or just straight up brand-name tax or magical marketing woo. I do have some steel-nib pens that feel better to write with than a Metro, but mostly because of the particular length or texture on the section or balance or whatever, usually not because the nib itself is appreciably better than the Metro. The biggest jump in writing quality I had was when I got my first gold nib, which was a Vanishing Point, iirc.

edit: though along the lines of what Heath is saying above, it's possible my VP feels like a "better" writer because it flows really cleanly with just about any ink, so yeah, could also just be manufacturing luck-of-the-draw as opposed to it being gold.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sorry for the double-post but I have a question of my own:

I'd like to get into a smallish notebook "system" with some options for planners, blank notebooks, random other crap. I think I've settled on the Traveler's Notebook as the best option for what I'm looking for, but I'm curious about the covers. Are the actual Midori TR covers the best way to go, or are some of the knock-offs or Etsy store options better for less money? I'd like something leather, and that will last a long time with regular care, so I don't really want to save $30 on a knock off only to have the leather cracking in a year's time or whatever.

Bonus question, does anybody have a strong recommendation for any other notebook systems that I should look at?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Is this the LE or the clicky one?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gschmidl posted:

Is this the LE or the clicky one?

Clicky, only type they had in that color.

Actually I got lucky I went in person to Atlas, because they were sold out online and had reserved a couple for in person visits... of which I nabbed. :getin:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

iospace posted:

Clicky, only type they had in that color.

Actually I got lucky I went in person to Atlas, because they were sold out online and had reserved a couple for in person visits... of which I nabbed. :getin:

Very nice! That made me look up what happened to the LS and

quote:

[July 2021 Update] Pilot has recalled all retailer inventory of the Vanishing Point LS due to concerns regarding the quality of the retraction mechanism. This collection is on hiatus pending further notice from Pilot, Japan.

I love my LS, it's the best pen I've ever used :ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh and I forgot to mention I picked up a demonstrator Monza with an omniflex nib.

E:

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 1, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd like to get into a smallish notebook "system" with some options for planners, blank notebooks, random other crap. I think I've settled on the Traveler's Notebook as the best option for what I'm looking for, but I'm curious about the covers. Are the actual Midori TR covers the best way to go, or are some of the knock-offs or Etsy store options better for less money? I'd like something leather, and that will last a long time with regular care, so I don't really want to save $30 on a knock off only to have the leather cracking in a year's time or whatever.

Bonus question, does anybody have a strong recommendation for any other notebook systems that I should look at?

check out Galen Leather, they might have some notebook covers to your liking, now with old tomoe river paper fillings to go with it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gschmidl posted:

Very nice! That made me look up what happened to the LS and

Update on this: they're apparently prone to rust in the knocker and Pilot will be replacing the part later this year, if anyone else has one.

Naturally I had to order a Black Ice just in case.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Cult Pens sent my order and sure enough, they included the cap for my mini fountain pen - I lost mine a couple of weeks ago. Very kind of them! It was in a little ziploc bag with a bit of paper with my name on it so I guess they put it aside when I emailed them and then just put it in with my order. Adorable. I love that store.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sooo none knows any ballpoint converter pens I guess?

gschmidl posted:

Update on this: they're apparently prone to rust in the knocker

Same :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What do you mean by a ballpoint converter?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just any ballpoint where I can use my own ink, any filling system is fine I guess and actually yeah I suppose you wouldn't be able to draw ink up past the ball.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ballpoint usually refers to a pen that uses an ink that's kind of paste-y rather than liquid, so there wouldn't be any "true" ballpoints that use fountain pen ink, there are rollerball pens that do, though. It seems like a dumb semantic thing but the pen world does pretty universally define them differently. If you search around google for rollerball pens that take fountain pen ink you'll run into a few, I imagine. I know J. Herbin, Monteverdi, and Schon DSGN all make one, I'm sure there are a couple more floating around.

edit: Traveller's Company/Midori makes a pocket rollerball that takes FP ink too. Also it looks like Regal has rollerballs in a handful of colors, I'm not personally familiar with the brand though.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 1, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks! That does give me something to go on, I'll have myself a look.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There are fountain pens that use the narrow Pilot Precise-style nib that may fit what you're looking for. They're not properly a ball point though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've used a fine tip Metro, is that the same nib?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, it's a rollerball but it has a feed in it with liquid ink so it functions a lot like a fountain pen. Look up Pilot Precise V5. One of my favorite pens.

Edit: Here is the one I was thinking of. I can't speak to how well these actually work, but the 360⁰ nibs do exist.

Heath fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 2, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It's so pretty

But it's not mine :saddowns:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What should I do with a pen that will only write with a lot of pressure? I assume there's some kind of tuning I should be doing, but I don't know what. If I wipe the back of the nib along paper it always leaves a streak, so it's feeding fine, I just have to apply a lot of pressure to get ink on paper. Is this where I need to pry the tines apart a tiny bit? Do I need to polish part of the nib? I don't have a loupe so I can't look super close at the surface to see any imperfections.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I have decided that the Homo Sapien is my grail pen, namely the Blizzard one.

Want so bad.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

MockingQuantum posted:

tn are good (and i have a couple myself) but you do pay a markup for the trendy brand, they are really just a rectangle of reasonable quality leather with an elastic band - you could def find something equal for less on etsy or other places if you dont care about the name attached to it. refills, too - and in fact you'll probably find more interesting stuff if you look around as a lot of people make their own cut to size on account of tn being so popular

grack
Jan 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What should I do with a pen that will only write with a lot of pressure? I assume there's some kind of tuning I should be doing, but I don't know what. If I wipe the back of the nib along paper it always leaves a streak, so it's feeding fine, I just have to apply a lot of pressure to get ink on paper. Is this where I need to pry the tines apart a tiny bit? Do I need to polish part of the nib? I don't have a loupe so I can't look super close at the surface to see any imperfections.

The tines need to be spread apart slightly. It's not difficult to do, but you need a loupe to properly inspect the nib before and afterwards.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/nibs/beginners.htm

This is a good starting point, particularly the PDF linked in there.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Does anyone have any experience using Osprey pens? Specifically, their Flexpert replacement kits?

https://www.ospreypens.com/collections/nib-units-1/products/osprey-flexpert-zebra-g-titanium-nib-unit-with-custom-converter

I've long desired a dip nib in a fountain pen body and I've never been able to get any of the common frankenpens to work. An Osprey scholar + flexpert kit is also only about $50 which, while not overly cheap and will need replacement nibs, seems pretty good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just noticed on that pen I mentioned that won't write without a lot of pressure that the feed is significantly misaligned from the slit, would that cause an issue? I see the ink welled up behind the feed but it doesn't seem to want to go down the slit to the tip.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Ballpoint usually refers to a pen that uses an ink that's kind of paste-y rather than liquid, so there wouldn't be any "true" ballpoints that use fountain pen ink, there are rollerball pens that do, though. It seems like a dumb semantic thing but the pen world does pretty universally define them differently. If you search around google for rollerball pens that take fountain pen ink you'll run into a few, I imagine. I know J. Herbin, Monteverdi, and Schon DSGN all make one, I'm sure there are a couple more floating around.

edit: Traveller's Company/Midori makes a pocket rollerball that takes FP ink too. Also it looks like Regal has rollerballs in a handful of colors, I'm not personally familiar with the brand though.

I wish I could tell you how the J. Herbin one works.. My kid got one for Christmas as he likes FB's but it's still in the wrapper. It takes regular JHerbin cartridges and you can stick a (montverde?) converter on it. no clue how well it works. I should commandeer it from him

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I'd be interested in knowing how well it does, at work we use horrible little carbon copy books for purchase orders and it's the only thing I still use the lovely work pens for. You've got to write on those things like you've been buying copper from Ea-nasir, otherwise the copy doesn't come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah it's good practice to carry a ballpoint for those kinds of things. FPs will never work well on transfer paper.