Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AutulloAAS/status/1433209630168162309?s=20

feel like there's no way this doesn't pass if it's written like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Numlock posted:

Yeah I was not surprised at all it was a Dallas burb.

Dallas is where you go if Austin is too liberal but houston is too brown.

Colleyville is not a burb of Dallas. Amon Carter would have fought you over this, and brought a sack lunch with him to do it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

Dallas and Houston are p much indistinguishable

gently caress you, Houston ain't anything like those dipshits from Dallas

:frogout:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Poor El Paso, no one ever thinks of them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Zoux post pitchbot

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1433229027100266499

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

1/47?!

Jesus christ, have you considered there's maybe a better place to post this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

THis is what I'm gonna say if the court stays the law within one (1) week

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Back Hack posted:

gently caress you, Houston ain't anything like those dipshits from Dallas

:frogout:

I don't know man, I drove through Houston neighborhood Sugar Land once, and it looked like what portions of Dallas aspired to be...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zil posted:

true

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Zil posted:

That's usually for the best for El Paso.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

litany of gulps posted:

I don't know man, I drove through Houston neighborhood Sugar Land once, and it looked like what portions of Dallas aspired to be...

Calling Sugarland a Houston neighborhood is fighting words

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

litany of gulps posted:

Sugar Land is a suburb and its own city, not part of Houston. It is also a bad racist suburb.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Zil posted:

why would we

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Zil posted:

I often wonder how nice it would be to drive for 1.5-2hrs and be in Guadlupe Mountains Nat'l Park instead of driving for that same amount of time and ending up somewhere like Galveston or College Station.

brb doing a climate comparison of Htown vs ThePaso to feed the dream.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Roumba posted:

I often wonder how nice it would be to drive for 1.5-2hrs and be in Guadlupe Mountains Nat'l Park instead of driving for that same amount of time and ending up somewhere like Galveston or College Station.

For that amount of driving I'd just go up north from El Paso to the Sacramento Mountains in New Mexico which seem nicer.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

Feel like this flew over some heads.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Integrated Houston posted:

Feel like this flew over some heads.

Is this one of those username/post combos that I hear about sometimes?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1433278317269028865

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Oooooooh man that's gonna be a firestorm in tomorrow's news cycle :suspense:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Frostyhawk posted:

For that amount of driving I'd just go up north from El Paso to the Sacramento Mountains in New Mexico which seem nicer.

Apparently El Paso area has been getting a gently caress ton of rain this entire summer, lakes and ponds have been reforming in the mountains from what I've heard.

Jesus loving wept. gently caress this loving state.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 2, 2021

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

THis is what I'm gonna say if the court stays the law within one (1) week

You should've waited twenty-four hours on this one. Plus, a ton of abortions were already canceled as of today - a lot of the damage has been done.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Real cool, thanks RBG for not retiring when you had the chance, congrats on personally grabbing the brass ring of dying in office while setting the fight back generations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sardonik posted:

Real cool, thanks RBG for not retiring when you had the chance, congrats on personally grabbing the brass ring of dying in office while setting the fight back generations.

This should be her real loving legacy.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Sardonik posted:

Hey now, we got that other ancient democrat justice that also refuses to step down and wants to roll the dice with lady death, share the love!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I, for one, am shocked at this outcome.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

why don't we compromise and just starve the 100 poor kids

also, texas amirite

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1433373840843939840

Where's that one goon working in one of the hospitals in the greater Houston metro?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

I think this is going to be the strategy going forward. Let states individually "repeal" Roe while the SCOTUS refuses to hear the cases that come out of the district courts. Roe officially stays on the books but it becomes another STATE'S RIGHTS issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/education/article253867033.html

Black principal in Grapevine suspended over allegations of teaching Critical Race Theory. Previously, he also faced heavy criticism for having posted on facebook a picture of his wedding anniversary with his white wife.

How is that possible i was assured that Republicans were just grandstanding and didn't actually want to fire anyone over CRT

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

IT BURNS posted:

I think this is going to be the strategy going forward. Let states individually "repeal" Roe while the SCOTUS refuses to hear the cases that come out of the district courts. Roe officially stays on the books but it becomes another STATE'S RIGHTS issue.

There have been a few legal scholars raising such alarm about the current scotus and it’s shadow docket actions. The court is filled with craven sycophants, though, so no one should be surprised.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IT BURNS posted:

it was always the strategy, they know that overturning roe would lead to an actual law making abortion legal. this way they can just effectively end it in all their favorite states

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I, for one, am shocked at this outcome.

I dunno I'm pretty astonished the court tossed 35 years of precedent without so much as a hearing

Sir Tonk posted:

it was always the strategy, they know that overturning roe would lead to an actual law making abortion legal. this way they can just effectively end it in all their favorite states

Yeah and the blue states will just shake their heads and tsk while not feeling any of the pain.

Anyway, if this doesn't spur some serious SCOTUS reform, nothing will and I guess the Republicans just won? They run the country forever now?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the "settle down nothing will actually happen" posting style just got blown out of the water, it's over

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

YEah I gotta start freaking out more

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

Yeah and the blue states will just shake their heads and tsk while not feeling any of the pain.

All the while telling us to go gently caress ourselves, despite us needing all the help we can get. Which is goddamn frustrating as hell, they really don't understand just because half the state pop is blue, doesn't mean it's a goddamn coin flip whether the state is going to flip, we have decades and decades of conservative bullshit grandstanding, backwards laws, and gerrymandering to fight through.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Back Hack posted:

All the while telling us to go gently caress ourselves, despite us needing all the help we can get. Which is goddamn frustrating as hell, they really don't understand just because half the state pop is blue, doesn't mean it's a goddamn coin flip whether the state is going to flip, we have decades and decades of conservative bullshit grandstanding, backwards laws, and gerrymandering to fight through.

Nowhere near half the state pop is blue. You have a sea of red and a fair amount of purple, but actual blue? Nah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, how do you measure if a person is blue or not, obviously, but the only state with more Biden voters than Texas is California. Abortion is a wedge issue though, there are plenty of Dems who oppose abortion, or are at least squishy on it. Have you ever seen a Democratic campaign centered on reproductive rights? I haven't.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1433390286382768129

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 2, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I dunno I'm pretty astonished the court tossed 35 years of precedent without so much as a hearing

Anyway, if this doesn't spur some serious SCOTUS reform, nothing will and I guess the Republicans just won? They run the country forever now?

SCOTUS has been playing Calvinball with jurisprudence for years now. This should really have not come as a surprise in any fashion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The con law scholars I follow on twitter seem pretty fuckin surprised

I wonder if like California can "ban" handguns by letting private citizens introduce causes of action for people who are carrying them.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

I mean, how do you measure if a person is blue or not, obviously, but the only state with more Biden voters than Texas is California. Abortion is a wedge issue though, there are plenty of Dems who oppose abortion, or are at least squishy on it. Have you ever seen a Democratic campaign centered on reproductive rights? I haven't.

Texas has the second highest state population in the country, so naturally they're going to have more voters for anyone than smaller states. Candidates differ on more than just abortion, though. Watch how they campaign, and what Democrats run on. No one talks about taxation, worker rights, or anything else you'd associate with leftist politics. They barely talk about healthcare, and even then it's strongly steeped in capitalist terms. Even things like M4A, or renewable energy and climate change in general are whispered if they're mentioned at all. It's a very purple VOTE FOR ME I'M NOT AS RACIST platform that unsurprisingly has gotten them exactly nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/miyashay/status/1433239086576422917

Hasn't it just