Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The vet thinks my poor foster cat has cancerous hyperthyroidism after she did some blood tests last week. Despite increasing his medication, there's been no improvement in his hormone levels or weight.

Two more weeks with his meds doubled and then he has another appointment where the vet decides what to do.

Has anyone had a cat with thyroid cancer? I have no idea what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm having some issues with my cat brush leaving behind a good number of loose hairs. I have a basic slicker brush a la this. My cat has long hair and no undercoat, and I'm not 100% sure what's best. I've tried a furminator in the past, but it didn't work particularly well (the undercoat bit wasn't doing anything ofc, and the it felt like the tines were too short to run through her fur easily).

Does anyone have suggestions for other brushes - or combinations of brushes - to try? Basically just want to minimize the amount of hair she hoovers up while grooming (already doing a diet/regular grooming appointments as well).

Lady Demelza posted:

The vet thinks my poor foster cat has cancerous hyperthyroidism after she did some blood tests last week. Despite increasing his medication, there's been no improvement in his hormone levels or weight.

I have nothing to offer re experience with this, but I hope things improve for your little pal :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry Lady Demelza that's heartbreaking. Hoping it all goes as well as possible for your foster cat.

So I got a cat tree and it has one of those hammocks and... she loves it. She barely wants to leave it even to play, it's amazing.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 2, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What brand is the tree?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

oh my loving god

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What brand is the tree?

It's this one.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh!! My Kirk was the same way as a bitty baby!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We've had one of those on one of our trees for years, and yet no one touched it. Then just about two weeks ago this happened.

Now it's her favorite thing.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

We had the same deep hammock and our cat enjoyed it, but jumped around on it too much and it broke off. So we got her a much shallower replacement hammock (like a soup dish) and she loves it even more.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ One of the cat trees I rescued from my apartment complex dumpster (beside not in) has one of those, but it's too small/shallow for either of mine to fit in. One similar thing that they both seem to love is sitting on top of a cardboard box with a moving blanket folded over it. The box is 2/3 or 3/4 full of clothes or something, so the top sinks down a few inches and it's basically a 360 degree hammock. It's just the right height to stick in front of a window, they both use it more than any of the proper cat sitting places I've paid for :argh:

Pixelante posted:

HahahaHAHahahaHAAhaha...

If you solve that puzzle you could be a very wealthy person.

Time to look up that old program from the 90s that would try to detect random keypresses and automatically disable your keyboard until you typed 'iamhuman' to unlock it.

e:

Kitfox88 posted:

oh my loving god

I know right :swoon:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 3, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well, I woke up yesterday afternoon to find a random cat had got up on my 2nd floor balcony. He had no problems walking into my apartment when I opened the door so I gave him some water and played with him a bit. But he's obviously somebodies outdoor kitty and being cared for otherwise, just a dumb cat that got himself stuck on my balcony... No tags or anything so I just took him back outside and hopefully he'll get back to where he belongs. I was going to try to walk around a bit to see if anyone knew where he belonged, but he definitely wasn't used to being carried and started freaking out a bit...

I've been considering a pet for a while now and that little interaction has likely got me moving towards adopting a cat (or 2 if the shelter / rescue has a bonded pair) in the next month or two... Apartment isn't pet ready at the moment.

Looking to find a good checklist of what poo poo I need to buy beforehand though, and it's hard as gently caress to find a good source that's not just a bunch of Amazon affiliate links :D

Immediate goal at the moment is to keep an eye at thrift stores and Walmart clearance for good deals on the basic stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Looking to find a good checklist of what poo poo I need to buy beforehand though, and it's hard as gently caress to find a good source that's not just a bunch of Amazon affiliate links :D

Immediate goal at the moment is to keep an eye at thrift stores and Walmart clearance for good deals on the basic stuff.

Honestly I use slickdeals and have an alert set up for when pet / cat stuff gets posted. I’ve saved an amazing amount of money on stuff.

I’d definitely recommend finding a deal on a cat tree. They are ridiculous full price but you can find great deals for them on the regular.

I also definitely recommend the bonded pair. At this point I can’t imagine only having one and it makes me feel a lot better when no one is home that they aren’t actually alone.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

durrneez posted:

Yeah, no. It’d be cruel to let my cats feed themselves because they’d become terribly obese and their health would sharply decline. What works for you works for you but not for me.

That's your cats not every cat though? Mine has dry food out all the time and he'll snack on it occasionally but he prefers wet and he's been a healthy weight his entire ten year old life. As with anything cat your personal experience is not universal.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

feedmegin posted:

That's your cats not every cat though? Mine has dry food out all the time and he'll snack on it occasionally but he prefers wet and he's been a healthy weight his entire ten year old life. As with anything cat your personal experience is not universal.
Right, that's why they're responding to a post saying it would be cruel not to let cats feed themselves.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Martman posted:

Right, that's why they're responding to a post saying it would be cruel not to let cats feed themselves.

Fair. Pretend I was responding to xzzy instead, didn't spot they were different people, sorry.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

goddamn ants. anyone have experience with ant traps in a small apartment that won’t make cats sick?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Takes No Damage posted:

Time to look up that old program from the 90s that would try to detect random keypresses and automatically disable your keyboard until you typed 'iamhuman' to unlock it.

If you find that, please post it here. I tried locking Windows while listening to a podcast, but then it interpreted the cat jumping on the keyboard as attempts to input the PIN.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

http://bitboost.com/pawsense/

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

jimmychoo posted:

goddamn ants. anyone have experience with ant traps in a small apartment that won’t make cats sick?

I use terro liquid baits but put them in places the cats can't get to or block them off somehow.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

This is so cool, thank you. My cats are always walking on my keyboard, or sitting on it for warmth, and often they do things to my computer via various hotkey combinations that are really tough to figure out :psyduck:

On a random note, it's really great and satisfying to see your cat thrive and do well, and seem much visibly healthier and happier. A few years ago, I was feeling really concerned because Jackie just didn't seem all that happy - she'd randomly get pissed off at me out of nowhere periodically, and would spend time forlornly sitting at the door wanting to go outside, but there'd be nothing out there to make her happy. Jackie grew up in a woodsy outdoors area, and I knew she just wasn't happy being an indoor city cat. And she just seemed bored and disengaged, interested in little beyond eating and sleeping - no wonder she was overweight.

Since she's been living out here on the "cat ranch", where there's endless fascinating (and car-free) outdoors for her to explore around the house and she can go out (in the daylight) just about whenever she wants to. Plus she has other cats to interact with who actually like her, and whom she has learned at least to mostly tolerate and play with.

It's actually like she's really come into her own and found this whole new confidence, too. Jackie was always a bit of a wimp and a follower for her youth as a cat (when she interacted with other cats) and then when I had her, she was mostly an only-cat for nearly a decade. Now she's living with other cats again, and has emerged as a very strong presence and a leader, in a way that's really surprised and impressed me!

The undisputed king of the house when she got here was Murfy, an enormously strong and athletic (and massive) Savannah Cat hybrid who can jump about 8 feet into the air, and has fought (and won) against a juvenile mountain lion - no joke! To my utter astonishment Jackie refused to submit to him, and defended her territory and carved off her own portion of the house where Murfy almost never goes, now. They've gotten into a couple real fights where Jackie took some wounds, but there's been surprisingly little drama.

Having 4-5 cats in your house to observe all the time is pretty awesome and entertaining, I have to say.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone know of a wet food that has the urinary SO stuff and is for cats with sensitive stomachs? My one cat has to eat the prescribed Royal Canin dry food with SO+hydrolyzed protein because he had crystals and also barfs when he eats most food but it sucks having to see him stare at our other cat chowing down on delicious wet food while he gets nothing the same dry food :(

The vet has said there's only the dry formula but idk if that's just only Royal Canin or what. I find it hard to believe nobody has made a wet food for cats that need both but maybe we haven't cracked the code yet.

Edited to clarify he gets plenty of food he's just good at making me feel bad for not giving him the good poo poo

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 5, 2021

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Does anyone have tips on introducing a very skittish kitty to a very assertive one? Our first cat is very sweet, but also very skittish around loud sounds: she hated having my sister's dog at our house because he barks a lot, and goes running when my nice and nephews come over because they're loud. Our new addition, Tiger, meows a lot and so the first time Little Miss got near the laundry room where he's been staying, she heard him and bolted under the bed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jimmychoo posted:

Mix equal parts powdered sugar and baking soda, and leave that out somewhere to let the little bastards take that home to share with their queen while it kills them all slow.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

taiyoko posted:

Does anyone have tips on introducing a very skittish kitty to a very assertive one? Our first cat is very sweet, but also very skittish around loud sounds: she hated having my sister's dog at our house because he barks a lot, and goes running when my nice and nephews come over because they're loud. Our new addition, Tiger, meows a lot and so the first time Little Miss got near the laundry room where he's been staying, she heard him and bolted under the bed.

Make sure the skittish one has a safe space it can retreat to, give it lots of pets and assurance. Other than that, time is the only way I know to remedy that. The two cats just have to work out their own terms of engagement and I don't know of a way to do it for them.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Of course, out of all the beds and cat towers and sofas and lovely places to rest, Latte likes laying down on the litter-catching rug in front of her box. Go figure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My phone alarm went out at 5 -- turned out to be a sheriff's alert for police activity two towns north of us. This cued kitten for a half an hour of romping up and down the bed.

Kittens, man. (cuddles under chin) She decided to sleep with us the first night when she was home, and she hasn't stopped. This is a blessing and a curse, because if she decides she needs attention she licks all over your face.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The power of a 12 pound adult cat to commandeer half of a queen size bed is a mystery science hasn't solved yet. So if kitten keeps sleeping with you now is the time to start looking at upgrading to a king.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

xzzy posted:

The power of a 12 pound adult cat to commandeer half of a queen size bed is a mystery science hasn't solved yet. So if kitten keeps sleeping with you now is the time to start looking at upgrading to a king.

they always feel so much heavier than 12 pounds when they're comfy

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Love to start my day with back pain because I felt too guilty to kick off the three cats sleeping on top of me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Love to start my day with back pain because I felt too guilty to kick off the three cats sleeping on top of me.

I start mine with claws to the face most days. I still don't know what his problem is, but he only does it to me

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Len posted:

they always feel so much heavier than 12 pounds when they're comfy

Yes. A limp happy cat might as well be a pillow full of lead pellets.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I have to keep everything below my head covered by blankets because if Sinjin decides it’s time to get up and play he’ll bite any exposed bits of flesh.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes. A limp happy cat might as well be a pillow full of lead pellets.

Toddlers and cats are both masters of this skill and should really teach classes

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
It would just be mean to move the cat sleeping where my legs are supposed to go.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

There is nothing quite like the feeling of a sleeping toddler limp against your shoulder.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I moved my legs too often when peridot decided to try out sleeping on my lap and now she won't sleep on my lap anymore because it's too unreliable. Heed my cautionary tale!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lena is making excellent socialization progress! She's been coming out from under the dresser or her little cave when she sees me and wants a lot of pets. She still hisses a little once or so a day and hides from my partner sometimes but otherwise she's doing great!

Now I'm going to start introducing her and Katya and that's got me a bit nervous. Katya hisses and growls when he can smell her on me and has done the same when he's snuck in to the bedroom behind me. Lena hasn't hissed or growled back. I'm going to start feeding them both by the door since they get their wet food at the same time and look for a decent toy they can play with through the door but not sure how else to manage this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Awwww, what a grey cutie.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The guy I rent from's redneck rear end hillbilly bitch of a girlfriend moved in, and her cat just HAS to be indoor/outdoor because she "always has been." Despite having separate entrances, not loving with her lovely cat at all, all hardwood flooring, that lovely outside cat brought fleas to my cat and his two mini daschunds. Steroid fleas.

My kitty gets Frontline every 15th. She got to where she was self-harming with scratching and over-grooming so much that I thought I might have to make that hard decision.

I got my girl some Capstar, and holy poo poo, in my anecdotal experience, it loving works. From the symptoms list, what I saw in her: itching, incoordination and vocalization. Much vocalization.

Here about five hours post-dose, she's eaten, had a solid stool in the box, and has been napping by me for a couple of hours without jumping into random bouts of scratching.

I'm happy to see my baby girl actually rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I cannot handle the 11-1 witching hours. No matter how much we play with her and try to burn her out during the day, like clockwork, Twiggy goes full sicko mode at 11pm. Then disappears under the bed to scratch at the carpet and headboard for an hour, which she does not do at all during the day. It sucks because when she does decide it’s bedtime, she snuggles up right next to my shoulder and tries to groom me. It’s very sweet. So now, we have to lock her out of the bedroom until she scratches and cries at the door at 1am, then let her in for cuddles. I haven’t gotten a full nights sleep in weeks.