Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gruckles posted:

During Stronghart's confession he mentions that he had made a deal with Esmerelda to keep quiet about what she saw, and her mid-credits scene also has her confess that she knew all along that Genshin had been buried alive and then shot, but went along with Stronghart for the sake of her model and family creed.

I actually don't really like that reveal since she seemed genuinely surprised at some of the revelations you point out to her during the trial. Either she's an expert actress or I dunno, just really forgetful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've started replaying the original trilogy on the Switch version. I still think the reremastered sprites are a step back from the originals, but I respect the originals probably would not look good on a TV screen.

I really enjoy the glibber tone of the original game ("Wait a minute! This testimony stinks!") and the much faster pacing. Even the biggest waste of time (1-3 day 2) is also the only time you get to investigate with Mia as a sidekick, shooting the poo poo about stepladders and canned spaghetti. Nick also spends a suprising amount of time in control relative to how I remember him, and I think part of it is the pacing and part of it is that he didn't get his "shocked" and "defeated" sprites until JFA, and the latter only came up at a very appropriate time in that game. The defense being wrecked by every other development is something that grew in the series over time, and even the relatively cool cat Ryunosuke spends way too often slamming into the wall or collapsed on the bench.

Just hit Rise From the Ashes, and the contrast between that and the previous cases is surpisingly stark. It's got a lot more of a "modern" pacing. The case itself is also the first to have a gaping plot hole no one ever addresses, as far as I can tell: Goodman's blood was found in the evidence room during the initial investigation, and no one ever bothers establishing whose blood it was, despite the fact that the blood on his shoe does get tested and does not match up with the bloodstain in the parking lot. Like sure Gant doesn't want anyone looking into it but you have Wrighto and Ema and Worthy and several rogue detectives and none of them ever suggest doing the bare minimum of forensic investigation beyond "oh these are glove prints not finger prints I guess that's that."

Also holy poo poo is the HD version of Meekins' megaphone feedback the worst sound ever and boy does it keep happening every time he's on screen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't forget Rise from the Ashes wasn't in the original GBA release and is a bonus case added in the DS port and all future releases which would explain the modern pacing in that case.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh I know, I just never noticed how different it was until this replay. It’s been a real long time since I’ve played through the original trilogy.

Also I just got to the summary of SL-9: ”So anyways the guy ran over a pedestrian by accident, murdered four witnesses, and then turned himself in to the police. There was absolutely no evidence against the guy,” lmao I forgot that part

E: And apparently the investigation lasted more than six months? What were all these ace detectives doing in all that time? I'm really not buying the story of that case being the tragic breakdown of the A-team.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 2, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, and they act like he's some sick twisted serial killer when it's more of a weird comedy of errors

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nate RFB posted:

Finished both games and I've deduced that it's very great.

I think more than anything else these games succeeded at having very memorable and likeable characters, and writing that was consistently funny and entertaining. Even as some cases may have not been the best AA cases I've seen it was almost never a chore because most character beats or tics and dialogue was just a fun time. So even though I have some mixed feelings about the overall story and setup of the first game (similar say to how I have mixed feelings about the first AAI game which would then go on to knock it out of the park with AAI2) it still felt satisfying to experience the story because of those positives.

The comedy was so good in this game. I think the biggest laugh was (2/2) the jury examination where everyone complains about gas service and if you press everyone in order, Ryonuske gets more and more upset about the jurists talking about gas instead of the trial

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The key point was that he testified about the overcoat being spattered with blood, which could only have happened if the murder happened exactly like he described, and he couldn't have known about if he hadn't actually witnessed it the way he said. Like it only works because Ryunosuke is somehow forbidden from suggesting that it's the blood of a different victim of a different murder that happened two months ago, which doesn't quite hold up, but is a lot more effort than the series usually puts in the "it's obvious the defendant is innocent but you still need to make the final push" scenario.

Oh yeah; this actually bugged me because IIRC rich guy's guilt in Case 3 had been established during the trial and there was nothing really stopping Ryunosuke from pointing out "that's rich guy's coat, he gave it to the defendant after getting it bloody during the murder which we already established during this trial."

Fangz posted:

The thing is (1-5) Graydon is an English Gentleman, while Gina is a pickpocket who has already admitted to theft and perjury and threatening the victim with a gun. So if it does come down to one testimony against another, the Jury's gonna believe Graydon. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't exist apparently

Graydon also admitted to breaking into the pawn shop by that point, though. One other thing I forgot to mention is that (unless I'm misremembering something), Graydon's accusation involved Gina throwing the gun (I think Graydon's gun?) through the hole in the door after using it and Graydon taking it (or something similarly goofy). It was just dramatically less plausible than Graydon doing the shooting himself.

As another poster mentions, Graydon's "Gina's bloody coat" evidence was his final "gotcha," which Ryunosuke doesn't explain for some bizarre reason (as mentioned above). It also probably doesn't really make sense for someone's coat to become covered with blood from shooting someone with a pistol, but I guess I could see the jury being persuaded by that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 3, 2021

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
2-5 spoilers, along with the rest of the series, I guess
I've always joked that there should be a tutorial trial where you have to defend the judge while he's still presiding court, but GAA just took that idea, twisted it, and then esclated to a degree I never would have expected. One of the best in the series just for that idea, honestly.

The problem is now that we've escalated the court mystery to the point where there's no other option. We've had trials where the big baddie was the prosecutor, the defendant, the victim (sort of), the assistant, the cop, and now the judge. Where can a GAA3 even go after that finale?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TheLoser posted:

2-5 spoilers, along with the rest of the series, I guess
I've always joked that there should be a tutorial trial where you have to defend the judge while he's still presiding court, but GAA just took that idea, twisted it, and then esclated to a degree I never would have expected. One of the best in the series just for that idea, honestly.

The problem is now that we've escalated the court mystery to the point where there's no other option. We've had trials where the big baddie was the prosecutor, the defendant, the victim (sort of), the assistant, the cop, and now the judge. Where can a GAA3 even go after that finale?

We did it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I really enjoy the glibber tone of the original game ("Wait a minute! This testimony stinks!") and the much faster pacing. Even the biggest waste of time (1-3 day 2) is also the only time you get to investigate with Mia as a sidekick, shooting the poo poo about stepladders and canned spaghetti. Nick also spends a suprising amount of time in control relative to how I remember him, and I think part of it is the pacing and part of it is that he didn't get his "shocked" and "defeated" sprites until JFA, and the latter only came up at a very appropriate time in that game. The defense being wrecked by every other development is something that grew in the series over time, and even the relatively cool cat Ryunosuke spends way too often slamming into the wall or collapsed on the bench.

This is also something I noticed upon replaying some of AA1 (I'm in Case 3 now). In the first Edgeworth case he owns Edgeworth much more than Edgeworth owns him, and Edgeworth is forced into making a blatant attempt to fudge evidence (which Phoenix manages to shut down).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ytlaya posted:

Oh yeah; this actually bugged me because IIRC rich guy's guilt in Case 3 had been established during the trial and there was nothing really stopping Ryunosuke from pointing out "that's rich guy's coat, he gave it to the defendant after getting it bloody during the murder which we already established during this trial."

Graydon also admitted to breaking into the pawn shop by that point, though. One other thing I forgot to mention is that (unless I'm misremembering something), Graydon's accusation involved Gina throwing the gun (I think Graydon's gun?) through the hole in the door after using it and Graydon taking it (or something similarly goofy). It was just dramatically less plausible than Graydon doing the shooting himself.

As another poster mentions, Graydon's "Gina's bloody coat" evidence was his final "gotcha," which Ryunosuke doesn't explain for some bizarre reason (as mentioned above). It also probably doesn't really make sense for someone's coat to become covered with blood from shooting someone with a pistol, but I guess I could see the jury being persuaded by that.

Well, my point is that Victorian Britain is a very class based society and the Jury is prejudiced in that respect.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've started replaying the original trilogy on the Switch version. I still think the reremastered sprites are a step back from the originals, but I respect the originals probably would not look good on a TV screen.

tbf Ryunosuke isn't really a cool cat, he tends to be hit hard by setbacks due to generally being timid/untrained(which happens less as the games go on), while the Wright agency will pick themselves up fairly quick unless things are really dire

The defeated sprite is generally used for only the most insanely bad situations(it's still only used like once in DD and a couple times in SoJ, all when things are overwhelmingly bad) but Ryu uses it a ton, especially in the first game

Also yeah the tone is a lot dryer than usual, I think it's because Takumi was desperately trying to maintain the illusion that AA court is an even remotely respectable place and not a total clownshow. That valiant effort did not last long.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 3, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I don't think this series was ever trying to even pretend the justice system isn't anything other than a three ring circus.

I mean this series opening thesis statement is "Wow, Japan (/the "US"/the UK) sure is hosed when it comes to not perverting the course of justice, huh?"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

I don't think this series was ever trying to even pretend the justice system isn't anything other than a three ring circus.

I mean this series opening thesis statement is "Wow, Japan (/the "US"/the UK) sure is hosed when it comes to not perverting the course of justice, huh?"

That's the legal system itself though, not the courtroom

AA2 is where you start getting stuff like prosecutors all having gimmicks like it's pro wrestling, interrogating a radio that sweats oil, and literal magic powers being the focal point of court arguments

I think the goofiness is fine for the record and things still get hella serious when they need to be, just noting the change of tone

e: not that AA1 was super respectable, AA2 is just where Takumi stopped even trying to pretend it was

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 3, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also a lot more of the Japanifornia stuff starting in 2 because at the point the GBA games were being made, it was looking like the series wouldn't leave Japan, so they didn't have to keep it as culturally agnostic as the first one was.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The first game was pretty much written with the assumption that it would be localized, yeah. Once it became clear the GBA games weren’t going out, they pretty much let more of the Japanese culture in. By the time of the DS port of 2, Japanifornia was truly born.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nobody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm imagining the Japanese version of Jake Marshall is "literally Rawhide Kobayashi" in the same way Japanifornia Blackquill is a massive weeb and it makes me happy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nobody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm imagining the Japanese version of Jake Marshall is "literally Rawhide Kobayashi" in the same way Japanifornia Blackquill is a massive weeb and it makes me happy.

has any character been improved as much by localization as simon becoming a british weeaboo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Really into G1-5 but I wish the plot didn't stop just so they can explain how the Nintendo 3DS works.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Pretty sure most Nintendo games from around that time would have had "make a big deal about our system gimmick or we won't co-market with you" ultimatums. I thought it was a pretty clever way to do it, honestly, since [G1-5]stereographs really were a huge fad in London around that time.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thank god this game didn’t come out in the first DS so we didn’t have a case where we had to blow into the mic to catch a murderer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just hit case 2-3 in my HD trilogy replay, and it's exactly as awful as it always was. They even gave a bunch of other cases a second edit pass, but this one is still riddled with typos, bad grammar, and people going ALL CAPS WITH A TON OF PUNCTUATION MARKS!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!??!

What is the deal with this case? Like I wouldn't expect the localization team to fix it such that it'd actually be good, but it's weirding me out that the script is still just a hasty first draft.

E: At least Franziska hates this case as much as I do and makes an active effort to keep the circus characters talking any more than strictly necessary. She's doing you a favor when she forbids you from needlessly pressing Moe.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 5, 2021

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

AA 2-3 is really bad, but if there's one nice thing I can say about it, I appreciate the judge attempting to maintain the seriousness of the court proceedings. If this was taking place in a later AA game, I'd expect the judge to be laughing along with Moe or something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, but the judge trying to keep things serious leads to that annoying cross-examination where pressing Moe on the wrong statements penalizes you.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Moe thing is less annoying once you realize you just ignore the statements where he's visibly giggling.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I still think if they just changed Regina's age there wouldn't be anything wrong with 2-3

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Regina has to be a child or else the backstory behind the case doesn't make any sense - the motivation stems from the fact that it's difficult to hold her responsible for what would otherwise be a horrific act of manslaughter. They could have just made the characters not creep on her instead (she could still be popular with everyone).

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Alternatively, they could just rewrite the characters and their motivations, the setting, the running gags and the nonsense method of murder to make 2-3 not suck.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bluff Buster posted:

Alternatively, they could just rewrite the characters and their motivations, the setting, the running gags and the nonsense method of murder to make 2-3 not suck.

Yeah that might juuuuust do it

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thank god this game didn’t come out in the first DS so we didn’t have a case where we had to blow into the mic to catch a murderer.

They literally did that with the fingerprint powder in Rise from the Ashes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Regina has to be a child or else the backstory behind the case doesn't make any sense - the motivation stems from the fact that it's difficult to hold her responsible for what would otherwise be a horrific act of manslaughter. They could have just made the characters not creep on her instead (she could still be popular with everyone).

She's clearly so out to lunch that it doesn't matter whether she's 15 or 25, just have the events be from 10 years ago or something if it's a problem.

On a semi related note, these games really have to get over themselves with regards to the presumed innocence of their clients, let us fight for the acquittal of someone who we know for sure did it for once .

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

They literally did that with the fingerprint powder in Rise from the Ashes

Whoosh, goes the fingerprint powder and also the point

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think any of the characters from these games would defend someone who they knew was guilty tbh.

Unless Maya was being used as a hostage of course.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's basically the whole set up of GAA 1-3 albeit the main character comes to the realisation mid-trail.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

She's clearly so out to lunch that it doesn't matter whether she's 15 or 25, just have the events be from 10 years ago or something if it's a problem.

On a semi related note, these games really have to get over themselves with regards to the presumed innocence of their clients, let us fight for the acquittal of someone who we know for sure did it for once .

Eh I know it doesn't and shouldn't work that way in the real world but I don't think that would be much fun in a game like this. You'd need a very different format than Ace attorney provides to do a game like that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah ultimately these are mystery games with the framework of a courtroom drama.

Something like that could probably make for something interesting, but it'd probably have to be with a very different set of characters and/or a different method of storytelling.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, if you wanted something like that, it'd be more fun to play as the prosecutor then. Although playing the prosecutor is far less heroic than the defence and you've got a much bigger innate advantage so the case would need some very exceptional circumstances to be anything like a normal AA case.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I just beat Case 3 in the first game.

Is each case either 100% investigation or 100% court trial? I miss the back-and-forth from the old games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

I just beat Case 3 in the first game.

Is each case either 100% investigation or 100% court trial? I miss the back-and-forth from the old games.

Nah, though it does play around with the AA formula for a good portion of the first game. It's namely because the segments you're playing through are kind of an extended tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've just now finished the second game, capping out my total playtime at 80 hours combined.

Both games were worth the wait though I am shocked at how much better GAA-2 is over its prequel. It actually feels more like GAA: Prologue and GAA: The Actual Game instead of two seperate games...if that makes sense.

GAA-2 is definitely the best Ace Attorney experience I think to date so I am very glad I was able to experience this treat.

I'm actually sad I won't be going on anymore adventures with Runo and co...no more Sholmes deductions...what a rough life...

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 6, 2021