Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I think I might just straight up start over from scratch and experience everything with new eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

LegoMan posted:

I think I might just straight up start over from scratch and experience everything with new eyes.

I thought about doing a permadeath save. It'd be cool if we all got together in one system on permadeath to see how it plays out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agoat posted:

I thought about doing a permadeath save. It'd be cool if we all got together in one system on permadeath to see how it plays out.

h*ck yes

i was thinking of starting over in permadeath to experience all this new stuff from the outset instead of in my 60-something hour permadeath save. will settlements appear on planets you've already been to? if not, that means i 100% am starting over.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, it looks like you can legit edit your location via save editor.

It'd be PC goons only but we could all play together??

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Agoat posted:

I'm too old with too little free time to do permadeath :(

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

As noted earlier in the thread, permadeath in this game is not really worth it. There’s never a time where death in the game feels earned, and to add a total save wipe onto that annoyance just makes it undue. Go play DOOM or XCOM2 if you want to play an Ironman game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anyway, I’m really liking the new particle effects

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I made the mistake of first leaving orbit in a rather crowded solar system.

Don’t do that if you want to do the frontier thing. My frontier is claimed by another.

Survival and normal universes appear to be merged in some places too.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 1, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve lost enough to Permadeath bugs in Subnautica, not going to try that move again.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I typically empty out my portable refiners by picking them up with middle-click, which apparently just deletes the contents right now. So, empty out your refiners manually.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
whats the trick again to keep getting offered free freighters until you get a good one?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LegoMan posted:

whats the trick again to keep getting offered free freighters until you get a good one?

Assuming you already have the first-one-of-the-save declined and know what system has the capship style you're looking for, it's
- Play for 2-3 hours
- Warp into the system with the capship style in question
- Confirm there's a pirate attack in progress
- Dock on the system station and save
- Shoot pirates, check capship class
- Reload until it's a good class

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
This new patch seems "potentially interesting but a little half-baked" so far; frigate missions are straight bugged and the prompts to bring you back to your settlement all talk about "use the station teleporter to get back faster" but as far as I can tell settlements don't have teleporters in and of themselves

also the time gating after you've done like 2 things seems a little suboptimal

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

LegoMan posted:

I'm too old with too little free time to do permadeath :(

Basic Chunnel posted:

As noted earlier in the thread, permadeath in this game is not really worth it. There’s never a time where death in the game feels earned, and to add a total save wipe onto that annoyance just makes it undue. Go play DOOM or XCOM2 if you want to play an Ironman game.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Okay so maybe regular but we all group up?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Agoat posted:

Okay so maybe regular but we all group up?

I'm down. I just started a new character but played for like 10 minutes. I should be able to hop on tonight for longer.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Assuming you already have the first-one-of-the-save declined and know what system has the capship style you're looking for, it's
- Play for 2-3 hours
- Warp into the system with the capship style in question
- Confirm there's a pirate attack in progress
- Dock on the system station and save
- Shoot pirates, check capship class
- Reload until it's a good class

right on, thanks

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I still don't get why they added power as a part of base building, it does nothing but hold things back and make it far more convoluted than it needs to be. It completely killed my interest in base building to go back to my old base to find it powered down and totally unusable so I just junked it for materials and I haven't settled down anywhere since because it's a total hassle.

That attitude took root with this game so this update doesn't do much for me, especially because I despise having to drop whatever I'm doing to defend any base or town or territory or whatever I set up in a game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

I despise having to drop whatever I'm doing to defend any base or town or territory or whatever I set up in a game.

I suspect that won't actually be the case here; it's probably too early to tell for sure, but signs are pointing towards not-that. I'm currently waiting on hour #2 of "building something that's not the initial administrative building" and so far it's been:
- Initial settlement "distress call", didn't start until I showed up and talked to someone about it
- Request to build a building, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console
- Request to settle a dispute, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console
- Request to have an event, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console
- Request to have a new settlement feature, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console

So I suspect this is going to be basically "ground-based freighter missions" where nothing is really going to change or happen if you're not actually physically present and actively confirm "I'm here, let's have this event happen"

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

I still don't get why they added power as a part of base building, it does nothing but hold things back and make it far more convoluted than it needs to be. It completely killed my interest in base building to go back to my old base to find it powered down and totally unusable so I just junked it for materials and I haven't settled down anywhere since because it's a total hassle.

That attitude took root with this game so this update doesn't do much for me, especially because I despise having to drop whatever I'm doing to defend any base or town or territory or whatever I set up in a game.

You can kinda cheese the building system so before plopping down a base look for power before resources but you can technically scoot buildings way further from your base than you should be able to. I regularly drop pipes/power cables to extend your build range until you get to the resource node you want. I currently have a base that's getting oxygen, cobalt, and uranium with a geothermal node.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I suspect that won't actually be the case here; it's probably too early to tell for sure, but signs are pointing towards not-that. I'm currently waiting on hour #2 of "building something that's not the initial administrative building" and so far it's been:
- Initial settlement "distress call", didn't start until I showed up and talked to someone about it
- Request to build a building, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console
- Request to settle a dispute, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console
- Request to have an event, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console
- Request to have a new settlement feature, didn't start until I showed up to interact with the console

So I suspect this is going to be basically "ground-based freighter missions" where nothing is really going to change or happen if you're not actually physically present and actively confirm "I'm here, let's have this event happen"

Well that's good to know at least. The wording in the patch notes made it seem different.

Arghy posted:

You can kinda cheese the building system so before plopping down a base look for power before resources but you can technically scoot buildings way further from your base than you should be able to. I regularly drop pipes/power cables to extend your build range until you get to the resource node you want. I currently have a base that's getting oxygen, cobalt, and uranium with a geothermal node.

The thing is though that I don't need a base for resource/money purposes, I'd like to have one just to have one on a cool planet but now I have to find the best spot on a planet to make sure I get enough power for it which is basically a step back for the whole mechanic to where bases could only be built in pre-determined places only now it's places that are randomly determined to have the best power source for the EM Generator because every other power source is either insufficient or a resource drain. I never saw any reason for the game to have the power aspect to base building besides making it more difficult.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
In strict theory, with the ability to bump out to 1km from the base computer, I don't know if it's actually possible to not have an EM hotspot close enough to your base to take advantage of*, and since hotspots are a cylinder of stratospheric height "getting enough power" is only going to be constrained by "how many generators you want to slap down".

*Every mining area I've ever set up has prioritized "where the best mining nodes are" and I've literally never not been able to find an EM hotspot in range of it. It usually requires me to pre-mark the mining nodes, then find an EM hotspot, then find the midpoint where all of those pre-marked spots are in the same 1km-radius circle, but if you have a cool spot you want to have your actual base you can take advantage of any EM hotspot up to 2km away from it in a straight line, so

This does unfortunately dovetail into a complaint; I like the optional lack of clipping-checking but I don't think it's possible to glitch-build extremely long supply pipes/power lines/teleporter cables anymore :sigh:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah it does suck for purely beautiful bases, solar and batteries aren't that bad but what's annoying is they don't persist so if you load in during the night the batteries will be empty. The big preset circular buildings can hold i think 6-8 solar panels and be covered in glass so they look rather nice and 2-3 of them with a good bank of batteries can power any base. Once again the major failing of NMS is there's no power domes--there should literally be a building that's power and batteries that you can easily plop down and not worry about it. The lack of nuclear/fusion reactors is weird as hell too, i can literally build anti matter why am i worrying about power?

There should be preset skyscrapers that are entirely self contained bases. I want to build a giedi prime, all black rectangles with red trim.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

Yeah it does suck for purely beautiful bases, solar and batteries aren't that bad but what's annoying is they don't persist so if you load in during the night the batteries will be empty. The big preset circular buildings can hold i think 6-8 solar panels and be covered in glass so they look rather nice and 2-3 of them with a good bank of batteries can power any base. Once again the major failing of NMS is there's no power domes--there should literally be a building that's power and batteries that you can easily plop down and not worry about it. The lack of nuclear/fusion reactors is weird as hell too, i can literally build anti matter why am i worrying about power?

There should be preset skyscrapers that are entirely self contained bases. I want to build a giedi prime, all black rectangles with red trim.

Worth noting is that "solar panels" don't actually need to be exposed to the sun to work; you can just dig a hole in the ground and drop a bunch of them and cover it all back up again if you don't want to have them "showing" anywhere. Before now I'd usually do the same with my ugly intersecting stacks of EM generators as well; 20 of them all glitch-built on the same spot wasn't super pretty but with a bit of digging got the job done invisibly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Worth noting is that "solar panels" don't actually need to be exposed to the sun to work; you can just dig a hole in the ground and drop a bunch of them and cover it all back up again if you don't want to have them "showing" anywhere.

dis fuckin game lmao

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
On that note, I made a base before finding nodes and now I'm playing the game of dropping down random wood boards to extend my base range so I can build on nodes. After that I try to run pipelines back to base but if I accidentally step outside the range I get bumped off the build menu and have to redo the whole pipe. Is there an easier way to do this?

fake edit: I'm enjoying being able to cash in expedition missions endlessly, I made 120M in 40 hours this past month and my next 120M in 40 minutes today.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
One of my solid gold exotic ships has now become solid orange. I am in shambles

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zodack posted:

You know when you've been Tangoed :(

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Agoat posted:

Actually, it looks like you can legit edit your location via save editor.
It'd be PC goons only but we could all play together??

Portals exist, so it's up to whether or not you want to start fresh and chase all the inventory upgrades and whatnot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zodack posted:

orange you glad it didn't turn into a banana?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I would be interested in joining a goon system if one gets started

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Man, I had this really slick base that I had glitch-built into some ruins, and incorporated them into the overall structure, and now the ruins are 20 meters underwater and the remains of the base are all the random pieces just floating over the surface :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Some of this is my underwater radon factory being hosed up after the patch (the water went up about 10 feet turning a half underwater base into an all underwater base. Uhh also all the doors stopped working so I had to build some more).

The other part of this is me finding out that the snapping on foundations is broken and you can now build structure sides-up/down. It's not as fun as it looks because they stick a giant foundation interior thingy in the middle though.

This motherfucker parked on my space boat )=-

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
game crashes every time I get out of the ship at the very beginning

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
How do I get the Normandy on one of my other saves, anyway? Do I have to actually go to Nessie Q8 and activate the myth beacon again?

edit: oh, apparently I never finished the expedition and/or never claimed the Normandy, whoops

GODDAMN FOOL fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 2, 2021

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

How do I get the Normandy on one of my other saves, anyway? Do I have to actually go to Nessie Q8 and activate the myth beacon again?

edit: oh, apparently I never finished the expedition and/or never claimed the Normandy, whoops

The Normandy is cool but you don't get to fly it :/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something odd I've noticed when going back to NMS after this latest patch: Since 2017, my NMS-account has gotten about a dozen messages from total randos, either just saying hi or replaying to my total silence with unhinged sounding stuff like "I'm not your punching bag". Strange.

Now this is not the odd part, just basic humanity in action. The odd part is that I made this account for the sole purpose of roleplaying a female character in NMS, which is not possible normally as the game just takes your account-name for your in-game name and then is just done with it. Back when I started playing, I found that being forced to play with my normal, male-sounding account name was kind of dumb, especially as it was a really dumb name. You probably already know where this is going

So, during the time of 2017-2021, my main account only got some contact only from the people I actually know, and nothing weird besides. In the same time, I got like 6x more messages on that other account even though my only activity on that one is playing NMS exclusively. Probably the only reason for these clowns to send messages was the fact that there was a female-sounding name plastered on the account

How desperate do you have to be to seek out some total stranger to send them your creepy messages? Hot drat.

The weirdest and most accidental social experiment I was ever part of, only thanks to Hello Games being too lazy to implement a way to properly change names/genders on PS4.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Libluini posted:

Something odd I've noticed when going back to NMS after this latest patch: Since 2017, my NMS-account has gotten about a dozen messages from total randos, either just saying hi or replaying to my total silence with unhinged sounding stuff like "I'm not your punching bag". Strange.

Now this is not the odd part, just basic humanity in action. The odd part is that I made this account for the sole purpose of roleplaying a female character in NMS, which is not possible normally as the game just takes your account-name for your in-game name and then is just done with it. Back when I started playing, I found that being forced to play with my normal, male-sounding account name was kind of dumb, especially as it was a really dumb name. You probably already know where this is going

So, during the time of 2017-2021, my main account only got some contact only from the people I actually know, and nothing weird besides. In the same time, I got like 6x more messages on that other account even though my only activity on that one is playing NMS exclusively. Probably the only reason for these clowns to send messages was the fact that there was a female-sounding name plastered on the account

How desperate do you have to be to seek out some total stranger to send them your creepy messages? Hot drat.

The weirdest and most accidental social experiment I was ever part of, only thanks to Hello Games being too lazy to implement a way to properly change names/genders on PS4.

Sorry, it gets really lonely out here in the vast reaches of space. I'm certainly not getting any action from these Korvax running my freighter.

I finally turned on voice chat and after 5 Nexus missions I got someone talking. Well, kinda, they were singing really softly in Spanish. :)

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

As a warning fellow goons, don't try to change out your settlement for a better one after you've already started it. There's a bug it seems and the new one never wants to progress past the overseer's office. Guess I'll be waiting for a patch now...

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I'm going to wait a few more days too. On the Steam forum, people trying the Experimental Branch are getting some serious bugs, like SAVE being greyed out.

That's the first time I've been to that forum. Oh boy, there is some real rage from "people" that just want a flight sim and all these updates have ruined the purity of the game forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I built a base near my town and it seems to have halted the progress. I haven't had a single update or request from my town in over a day now. I've deleted the base and I'll see if that fixes it...