Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been theories for a while that Reylo was clearly aimed at the Zutara shippers.
:smugjones:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm pretty sure Disney does make stuff with fan communities in mind. I don't think it's likely that they would have done this one specific thing because of another specific thing, but I can absolutely seeing some Disney suit saying that properies where the protagonist and villain are potential love interests show a 24% higher engagement rate in fan communities after one year, so it'll maximize their opportunities to capitalize on franchising.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Djeser posted:

I'm pretty sure Disney does make stuff with fan communities in mind. I don't think it's likely that they would have done this one specific thing because of another specific thing, but I can absolutely seeing some Disney suit saying that properies where the protagonist and villain are potential love interests show a 24% higher engagement rate in fan communities after one year, so it'll maximize their opportunities to capitalize on franchising.

That's a fair bit different than saying it was based on a niche fan group of a recent show. That's like saying The Mandalorian's "defend a village" episode was ripping off Samurai Jack, ignoring that they're both inspired by/homages to Seven Samurai.

Yes, I've had that argument made to me.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, is that any dumber than much else of the stuff they did in the sequels

yes

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

PJOmega posted:

That's a fair bit different than saying it was based on a niche fan group of a recent show. That's like saying The Mandalorian's "defend a village" episode was ripping off Samurai Jack, ignoring that they're both inspired by/homages to Seven Samurai.

Yes, I've had that argument made to me.

Yeah I'm just saying, that could be what got telephone gamed into "they put reylo in the movie for the zutara shippers"

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, is that any dumber than much else of the stuff they did in the sequels

Yes because the sequels were good

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Bargearse posted:

Lol. The sequels were a handful of cool scenes and some decent acting strung together by whatever plot the director was pulling out of his rear end as the camera was rolling.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Also, I don't know what a zutara is.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It refers to two characters from the Avatar series (the one with elemental powers, not the blue alien one).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bargearse posted:

Last Jedi yes, Force Awakens kinda, but I'm not sure how anyone can defend the writing of Rise of Skywalker. A major part of the plot came from a loving Fortnite tie-in.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Darth Walrus posted:

Last Jedi yes, Force Awakens kinda, but I'm not sure how anyone can defend the writing of Rise of Skywalker. A major part of the plot came from a loving Fortnite tie-in.

Somehow, Palpatine is alive

I saw this tweet this morning and found it relevant to this thread:

https://twitter.com/corpseinorbit/status/1432840010110230528

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

James Frey, the author who got in hot water for his fictional memoir, set up a literal YA franchise factory designed to churn out books only so they could be optioned into movies.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Not too surprising, I guess. Lani Sarem, she of Handbook for Mortals infamy, tried the exact same thing, only without any business savvy, marketing or money.

"Churning out YA novels to make into movies" is also Wattpad's latest pivot, and it's proving really successful for them. The first part of the Kissing Booth trilogy was written by a 15 year old who published directly to Wattpad for free. I guess it was super popular so Wattpad offered her a publishing contract, same as they did for the author of the After series.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Not like there aren't standardized imprints already.

quote:

All levels of sensuality are considered—from the tingling sensation you experience when a wet-shirted Mr. Darcy rises from the lake, to the explicit bedroom romps of Tudor times, whatever the level of sensuality, chemistry and sexual tension are vital.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gonna turn the honry slider to 10.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I saw this tweet this morning and found it relevant to this thread:

https://twitter.com/corpseinorbit/status/1432840010110230528
What does "produced algorithmically" mean here? Because if they're saying those books are written by computers without human input, that's nonsense. All those "written by AI" things are, at the very least, heavily curated by hand. And for anything the length of even a short book, the human has to be driving the process to keep it from being completely incoherent. If you're looking to get a book written as quickly and cheaply as possible, I'm pretty sure a human is still the best option. Especially when you can just buy up some already-written fanfic and do a find/replace for proper nouns.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Their requirements for a novel are algorithmically generated, and then they find writers for hire to write their [POST APOCALYPTIC] [DRAGON] [ROMANCE] with [MAGIC SYSTEM] and [FAMILY BETRAYAL] and [WORLD AT STAKE].

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A bit more of a literal interpretation of algorithm, just a set of instructions to churn out results without using much personal judgement or artistic touch.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s what you get when you bend over backwards to please the kind of terminally online mega fan who wouldn’t be happy no matter what.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Still blows my mind that Disney bought Star Wars for god knows how many billions of dollars, and instead of taking a couple of talented writers and have them sit down and write out a coherent plot for the sequels they just threw that poo poo at the nearest producers and said "we don't give a poo poo do whatever".

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Should have just given the whole trilogy to Rian Johnson and told him to do whatever.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why not decanonise the sequel trilogy and have another go?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Lone Badger posted:

Worked for Dragon Ball.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Still blows my mind that Disney bought Star Wars for god knows how many billions of dollars, and instead of taking a couple of talented writers and have them sit down and write out a coherent plot for the sequels they just threw that poo poo at the nearest producers and said "we don't give a poo poo do whatever".

Imagine the chain of events required for a Han Solo movie to be greeted with universal "mehh, whatever."

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Without Carrie Fisher? :(

Tree Bucket posted:

Imagine the chain of events required for a Han Solo movie to be greeted with universal "mehh, whatever."

I watched that movie on a transatlantic flight, but I can't even remember if I finished it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

jkk posted:

Without Carrie Fisher? :(

I'm sure they've got an algorithm for that.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I've said that. Like, out of all that money, could they have spared a million to hire several solid script writers for 6 months to come up with a decent plot? Instead we got this ad hoc scramble that was simultaneously in thrall to its past and contemptuous of it. In other words, a comic book of a movie.

And y'know, you can absolutely make good and enjoyable movies from ridiculous or nonexistent plots. But the sequel trilogy wasn't offering up anything to distract us from the hot mess storyline, so the flaws were painfully obvious.

Anyway back to books. I was recently asked to recommend some classic science fiction and it got difficult. Many of the classics are a little dated and have pedestrian writing (Asimov). I suspect others would re-read terribly: like the later Ringworld books by Niven (having sex with aliens for diplomacy is standard operating procedure), the many Niven-Pournelle collaborations (the awful one with a VR D&D adventure, the worse one where science fiction fans save the world), and I don't think you can read Heinlein straightfaced anymore

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Worked for Dragon Ball.

That's because dragon ball was a fun series where every name was a food pun and I'll hear nothing against it. Maybe the next star wars can double down on pun names and I'll forgive it for Palpatine killing a fleet with the THX test sound.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean that's literally what they did with Dragon Ball GT, it's in alt timeline territory firmly now and its good ideas got mined for the real continuation.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Sure, if we can do it for the prequel trilogy too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nonathlon posted:

I've said that. Like, out of all that money, could they have spared a million to hire several solid script writers for 6 months to come up with a decent plot? Instead we got this ad hoc scramble that was simultaneously in thrall to its past and contemptuous of it. In other words, a comic book of a movie.

Instead of doing so much cg previs poo poo, just spend a couple million having a no-star cast make the full film as a low-budget thing.

Shake out issues in plot and characterization of in advance, and get some training on your newbie crews.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Sep 2, 2021

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

I think movies should have good stories instead of whatever the hell they have these days*

*with the exception of the Mission Impossible series, which is perfect as-is.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Trying to imagine giving this much of a poo poo about the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars is a couple of movies that I like from 40 years ago and a whole bunch of other bullshit that I would only ever have cause to think about if I bought into the branding.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Sep 2, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I think movies should have good stories instead of whatever the hell they have these days*

*with the exception of the Mission Impossible series, which is perfect as-is.

"You don't need a good story if you have incredible visuals"

*farts out old designs with flat lifeless CGI*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm really tired of the "cut out all the scenes that make later scenes make sense, then stick them in a comic book" school of film

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

quote:

She knew that its failure to start was not really a mechanical hitch. True a motor engineer might look at it afterwards and say. 'Oh, the sproggle pin's worked loose', but the deeper question was, 'Who had made the sproggle pin work loose?' No, this was spiritual. It was a war between her and the insolent and uncurtailed fairies who lived in the rocks between her and fate.

Perhaps I've read too much bad smut, but it was the Sproggle Pin passage that got me laughing like a loon near the end of a tough week. "Sproggle pin" occurs nowhere on the internet...except within the pages of The Suppliant, as excerpted on this very thread. It's a phrase worthy of the great Lionel Fanthorpe.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Trying to imagine giving this much of a poo poo about the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars is a couple of movies that I like from 40 years ago and a whole bunch of other bullshit that I would only ever have cause to think about if I bought into the branding.

I will say that listening to the Expounded Universe Podcast's coverage of "Shadows of the Empire" was well worth the effort of manually loading those early episodes that had aged off the RSS feed into Pocket Casts, and I heartily thank whoever made that recommendation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean that's literally what they did with Dragon Ball GT, it's in alt timeline territory firmly now and its good ideas got mined for the real continuation.

It should also be said GT did not have Toryiama involved (the writer for dragonball) while super does have him as a big part of the product

Star Wars doesn’t have an original writer for credibility, not really

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yet somehow GT turned out better than DBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Extremely wrong, no matter how mad it made power level fans