Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gramps posted:

sure, but you can't prove motivation. I agree that sandbagging and playing slowly is lovely, but you are not required to scoop, ever.

I already said that it is really hard to prove. Remember the penalty for stalling is disqualification so it should be really hard if not neigh impossible to prove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its a judgement call either way. The only person who has to be convinced is the judge. You can complain how unfair it was at dairy queen.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I already said that it is really hard to prove. Remember the penalty for stalling is disqualification so it should be really hard if not neigh impossible to prove.

I've seen it happen several times in person and it was EXTREMELY blatant in all cases. I got my opponent a game loss at regionals like 15 years ago cause he won game 1 but I dusted him after sideboarding so he started playing real slow during game 3 and since it was the last round of pools we were one of the only games still going and the judge was right there. I didn't make the cut and he just missed by one win, but gently caress that guy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gramps posted:

I've seen it happen several times in person and it was EXTREMELY blatant in all cases. I got my opponent a game loss at regionals like 15 years ago cause he won game 1 but I dusted him after sideboarding so he started playing real slow during game 3 and since it was the last round of pools we were one of the only games still going and the judge was right there. I didn't make the cut and he just missed by one win, but gently caress that guy.

So then what are you trying to say? Because it sounds you know that trying to drag a match to time is illegal.
What am I missing?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Non-horses say "nigh" typically. If owls are horses, my bad.

Gramps posted:

Yeah I've never seen it be non-obvious. I think pretty much any situation where someone is intentionally slow playing to prevent a loss is clear. There are situations where I've seen people get pulled by a judge and asked what they're thinking because it looks like slow play, but it's always reasonable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1433437059818131456

This is pretty good...........

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Next they should make a Bloodborne set with the moon phases. Namaste

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

So then what are you trying to say? Because it sounds you know that trying to drag a match to time is illegal.
What am I missing?

This is what I was responding to originally

HootTheOwl posted:

if you are intentionally trying to draw a game (via time) then you're playing slowly because it presupposes that either a) you know you can't win and spending any more than zero seconds on decisions is wasting time since you've accepted your decisions don't matter.

Basically my point was playing for a draw is not illegal as long as you aren't stalling to do so. It's the stalling part that's illegal. You're under no obligation to rush your turns or give away any information to your opponent just because time is about to be called and you can't win.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's an anomaly caused by tournaments operating under "saved by the bell" rules. Could end up making the Book/Haven combo substantially worse in paper than on MtGO or Arena.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Next they should make a Bloodborne set with the moon phases. Namaste

SOI is basically this. It came out a year after Bloodborne release too :thunkin:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Time is kind of a problem in legacy right now. Bant control is a popular deck that can take forever to win, I've seen the mirror go to time in g2 before without either player really slow playing at all. Both sides just have too many answers.

neaden fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 3, 2021

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
http://mythicspoiler.com/mid/cards/galvaniciteration.html

There’s the cross support with Strixhaven
Imagine copying Magma Opus with this

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Enjoying the implied "1UURR: trigger Magecraft 5 times (if you cast another spell)" mode

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just realized that Joe Manganiello is on this stream because he played a werewolf on True Blood (in addition to being a huge TTG nerd)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's striking how much better actual actors are at acting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
New token drawback keyword is "decayed" (can't block, sacrifice it at EOT if it attacked)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

goferchan posted:

New token drawback keyword is "decayed" (can't block, sacrifice it at EOT if it attacked)

This is like, a few different things from Legends of Runeterra rolled into one.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

These new duals seem really good. Turn 1 is usually the best time to have a tapland and they come in untapped on turn 3 or later.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Called shot: There will be a 2/1 for B decayed Zombie you can cast from your yard.
Decayed crawler.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/spoilers/Innistrad+Midnight+Hunt#paper

everything so far that's been revealed including a new Sigarda.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tulul posted:

These new duals seem really good. Turn 1 is usually the best time to have a tapland and they come in untapped on turn 3 or later.

They are only worse than checklands on exactly turn 2 and strictly better every turn after that.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Tulul posted:

These are the inverse of the fast lands. There are already recognized "slow lands" though.

Leisurely-pace lands?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:unsmith: I still like seeing unruly mob getting reprints every time we go to innistrad.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The lands are interesting, they're very strong but as far as building Standard manabases and curves they're most of a tapland since you really want the ability to be playing on curve on 2. Huge upside though.

I really like this take on Fiend Hunter. Hard to justify over Skyclave, but easier to splash and maybe some decks want both.

This is a nutty pseudo-lord. Comes down to tribal support but seems super strong. 1 drop Wolves got a whole bunch more important.

4 mana 4/4 flampler, lord effect, and a pretty conditional CA mechanism. The lord effect giving it immediate impact means I can definitely see the rest of her package getting played on efficiency, tribe willing.

The token mechanism. This is a pretty insane price to get two bodies with a body every turn.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gramps posted:

Exactly my point. Maybe I'm a dick but I've won a lot of games where my opponent started to go off with their combo deck and rather than scoop I make em play it out and they gently caress up. It happens a lot. In Arena last night I had an opponent hit a turn 2 Tibalt and rather than scoop I let him play it out and he whiffed.

I've won a lot of games with Trickery when they've scooped before I could decide what to do with my whiff. It's really, really funny hitting a Crypt off a Serpent but they didn't know it because they'd rather take the L in ranked.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Bugsy posted:

:unsmith: I still like seeing unruly mob getting reprints every time we go to innistrad.

And the new flavor text rules :allears:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HAhaha holy gently caress hahahahahaha oh hey investigate is back anyway hahahahahaha read the web fiction hahahahaha

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I have no idea how good it will be but Gruul werewolf is in my future just to t3 Tovolar into t4 Arlinn.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's insane how complicated Magic releases are these days.

https://twitter.com/jeremynoell/status/1433473332742086663

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

!Klams posted:

That new retrace cascade card, Throes of Chaos in the historic Tibalts Trickery decks seems like utter bullshit? TOTALLY appreciate though that whenever anyone ever says that about magic, 99.9% of the time they're just bitching about their own personal experience and not really the holistic health of the situation. More than happy to hear "Eh, it whiffs a lot more than you think" or whatever. The last time I felt like this was about Oko, though.

There just doesn't feel like there's any realistic angle to attack it from? Prior to Throes of Chaos the deck ironically felt a lot more chaotic and like you could disrupt it easily enough, whereas now it's just utterly solid. I'm maindecking graveyard hate and counterspells, and it never feels enough?

I guess, actually, my question isn't "THIS IS BULLSHIT APPEASE ME" it's actually more like, "I assume this is actually fine, can you please explain to me why?"

It's pretty obnoxious. I was testing it last night and mulling to 2 or 3 cards and still winning consistently.

To beat it you need either:
A clock faster than 4
Or a control deck with counters.

Graveyard hate doesn't really hurt it enough; it doesn't need the non hits that standard or past trickery decks have needed.

And the jumpstart has added some great hits in emissary.

It's probably not BROKEN, but does sit at like a 55%+ winrate and is very consistent, and unfun to play against because no counterplay exists aside from "be control".

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
BIG WINDOW IS AT IT AGAIN!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

HAhaha holy gently caress hahahahahaha oh hey investigate is back anyway hahahahahaha read the web fiction hahahahaha

That's not actually gonna be on the card I presume, they just don't want to spoil their short stories.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could already win on turn 4 in Historic pretty reliably if you wanted to. I guess the difference here is that 1) discard is irrelevant, 2) it often comes out a turn earlier and 3) you probably need 3 counterspells to actually beat the deck. Could end up being too strong.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is a nutty pseudo-lord. Comes down to tribal support but seems super strong. 1 drop Wolves got a whole bunch more important.

Seems to play pretty well with werewolf pack leader!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sinteres posted:

It's insane how complicated Magic releases are these days.

https://twitter.com/jeremynoell/status/1433473332742086663

Oh fuuuuuck this!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jiro posted:

Oh fuuuuuck this!

buy singles

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A big flaming stink posted:

Seems to play pretty well with werewolf pack leader!

It's a pretty cool way to fulfill their promise of a werewolf legendary capable to leading a tribal commander deck.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I do enjoy cracking a few packs with friends soooory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They even added a clause to make sure it works with old werewolves.