Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
interviewer: tell me about your biggest, i done hosed up and will never live this down-style failure

MrCockatrice: well I guess it was pretty bad that one time I took down prod

interviewer: yeah I could tell you were a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lomarf

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

interviewer: tell me about your biggest, i done hosed up and will never live this down-style failure

lol, this happened to me once

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I want to apologize but please don’t think we’re going to stop doing it any time soon

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

RokosCockatrice posted:

lmao let he who is without sin cast the first stone

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
everybody gets one free prod database fuckup

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Got a rejection today from a job I actually wanted, and ended the day with another Amazon recruiter email coming in. Feels bad :smith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the trick is to work on packaged middleware that clients deploy their own apps on top of. no production to take down

instead you get to issue recommended hotfixes when you ship a freakin typo that hard breaks your component in a jcl job lmao

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Just change job before you actually ship

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Xarn posted:

Just change job before you actually ship
i wrangled my last notice period to end 2 days before a full db migration :pray:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I’m three months into my new job and enjoying it. One of the company execs messaged me asking if everything was OK. He said one of his recruiter friends noticed my status on LinkedIn was set to open for work and told him at the company party over the weekend.

I’m not looking to jump ship and smoothed it over (I hope) but what the gently caress. Really lovely and unprofessional behavior from the recruiter.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Lol at the recruiter just casually dropping at a party which new staff hasn't updated their linkedin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
expectin professional behavior from a recruiter actually has less success than expecting professional behavior from mcdonalds cashiers, for whatever reason

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steve Jorbs posted:

I’m three months into my new job and enjoying it. One of the company execs messaged me asking if everything was OK. He said one of his recruiter friends noticed my status on LinkedIn was set to open for work and told him at the company party over the weekend.

I’m not looking to jump ship and smoothed it over (I hope) but what the gently caress. Really lovely and unprofessional behavior from the recruiter.

pro move there would be to look him dead in the eye and say I don’t have a LinkedIn

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

they kept doing that to me and i finally replied i'd rather "deep throat a grenade than work there" and it's been crickets ever since

p happy about that

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I can't imagine the Empire of Jeef has much trouble recruiting, but they probably run the recruitment process the same way they run warehouses and everything else: keep bumping up the quotas to impossible levels and then keep firing the bottom of the pack. poo poo didn't somebody itt say that they do exactly the same thing with the software dev org? minus the firing part, because the software devs are the only non-desperate employees in the company, although rest assured every effort is being made to move the market in that direction!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

expectin professional behavior from a recruiter actually has less success than expecting professional behavior from mcdonalds cashiers, for whatever reason

hey now, McDonald’s cashiers are pretty on point and deliver value to the customer and the company.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats what im sayin

they hand you the burgers and stuff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

they hand you the burgers and stuff
not all heroes wear capes

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lol, I volunteered to "help" with a python interview and it turns out im leading it by myself and i need to prepare a whole thing. anyone have any fond memories of coding challenges in interviews that gave you room to flex and didn't make you want to die?

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 2, 2021

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Corla Plankun posted:

lol, I volunteered to "help" with a python interview and it turns out im leading it by myself and i need to prepare a whole thing. anyone have any fond memories of coding questions in interviews that gave you room to flex and didn't make you want to die?

Don't ask trivia questions, that sucks. It's better to have a discussion over a code challenge or take home assignment.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

just edited to use the word challenge instead of question. I would never waste time on trivia lol. I interviewed with a place once that did trivia instead of coding tests and once we got passed the trivia they asked me about a problem they took months trying to deal with and i solved it in 5 minutes with a sql query with row numbers

ended up getting an offer but it was 20k lower than market so i didn't take it. I kinda Ben Wyatted the gently caress outta that place

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

send them fizzbuzz and tell them to keep it simple

I doubt adding more complexity will help in an interview setting.

alternatively tell them to send whatever they feel like

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

made it to a final round (7 he interview) with a FAANG, thought it went very well, got the no-go email today. Not really too sure of what I could’ve done better, interviewing continues to be garbage

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you coulda had more stuff in the pipeline so your shrug when you got the reject could've been even shruggier

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

lol, I volunteered to "help" with a python interview and it turns out im leading it by myself and i need to prepare a whole thing. anyone have any fond memories of coding challenges in interviews that gave you room to flex and didn't make you want to die?

I liked "top three", where you give someone a list of words and they return the top three most common in the list. In one interview, someone gave me a link to https://github.com/brunoklein99/deep-learning-notes/blob/master/shakespeare.txt before and said "do top three on that", and the right-est answer was to import requests and get the raw github link to fetch the text, then proceed as normal.

There's a cheat code in python, "collections.Counter", but I don't think it's useful outside of fizzbuzzes so asking people not to use it seems like fair game.

edit: I don't recommend whiteboarding exercises in python that are recursive solutions. No one looks at a PR with a recursive solution like you'd put together for Fibonacci in a whiteboarding problem and say "oh sweet, thank god someone submitted this code to our shared repo"

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 2, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

using counter would please me tbh. I think that sounds pretty good. Easy enough for an interview but not as boring to watch as someone writing fizzbuzz

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ugh i guess i probably shouldn't count it against anyone if they use a regex for this but i'm going to want to.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm not saying you don't want to work with someone whose first impulse is to write a regex, but I'm basically saying you don't want to work with someone whose first impulse is to write a regex.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I've shipped collections.Counter in prod like a dozen times lol

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Regexes are one of those things that are perfectly fine for consenting adults to play with in the privacy of their own home, but not supposed to bring to work

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like simple graph traversal questions. give them some kinda data (maybe it's a 2d array, maybe it's a process tree, w/e) and have em do the needful. if somebody can't do BFS/DFS they're in a bad spot, but there's a lot of room to talk about optimization wrt. multiple visits, recursion vs stack/queue, etc. and you don't really need to have formal cs training to figure it out

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

me too!!! It is really good!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i've rejected PRs for using regexes when string functions will do the job before.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

i've rejected PRs for using regexes when string functions will do the job before.

as is right and good. i expect SREs and security engineers to regex, and kind of expect that SWEs will eventually pick it up but it's not a You Need To Know This thing because usually i'd rather SWEs not use regexes

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

can I work for you?

can we trade jobs?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

i like simple graph traversal questions. give them some kinda data (maybe it's a 2d array, maybe it's a process tree, w/e) and have em do the needful. if somebody can't do BFS/DFS they're in a bad spot, but there's a lot of room to talk about optimization wrt. multiple visits, recursion vs stack/queue, etc. and you don't really need to have formal cs training to figure it out

my team just did a play coding challenge and https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-number-of-islands/ was the topic (although for ours, diagonals didn't count). everybody seemed to have a fun time, and despite the link being all graph theory-y in practice you just needed to be able to walk through a 2d space so non-cs majors like myself can keep up.

edit: I don't know how I feel about this as an interview question, but it was fun to work on as a group.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I forgot to make sure that "remote" was in the job description for a programming job before applying to an e-commerce start-up, so I got the email

"I am reaching out to you because you applied to a backend developer role that I had in Chicago and I noticed you weren't local. I had a few questions. 1) what is your reason for wanting to move to Chicago? 2) what is your residency status in the U.S. 3) What are you looking for in regards to compensation? [ad says $120k - $175k]"

I suppose my answers must have been worded better than usual, because usually I don't get contacted.

I guess I'll say "I'm very sorry. I forgot to make sure that "remote" was in the job description before applying. [My Name]"

Should go ahead and answer the other two questions? I've never had a programming job, but my answers to the questions on the site like "my experience comes from personal projects" and the absence of any previous job on the resume should have made that clear without having explicitly stated it.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 2, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Corla Plankun posted:

What level are you interviewing? I find that this test does pretty well to differentiate entry level or interns after a phone interview. We mostly develop internal business use web apps deployed to Heroku/AWS and web scrapers. I wrote it this way because its reminiscent of how we do biweekly sprint plans. I tell them they have 48 hours from the time we send an email and schedule an email to go out at the time of their choosing. Feel free to take if useful.

Government Spending Website - Web App
The purpose of this project is to create a Python 3 based web app that displays results from an API in a sortable table with Bootstrap formatting. You will get a list of government agencies, some information about them, and their budgets. You'll deploy the app to Heroku or AWS. Note that "shalls" are a must, "shoulds" are preferred qualities.

Below is an example image, yours may look very different so long as it meets the below requirements.
[Screenshot of an example that I made in about 30 minutes]

Requirements:
-The project shall use Flask, Django or Dash
-The project shall use Bootstrap 3 or 4 for front end CSS.
-The project code should be nearly all Python 3 and conform to PEP 8.
-The project data shall be from the API endpoint for USASpending.gov at https://api.usaspending.gov/api/v2/references/toptier_agencies/
-The project shall request the project data in response to clicking a button.
-The project shall render the data in a table.
-The data table shall be sortable.
-The project code shall be published to a public GitHub.
-The project code on GitHub shall be free of any security credentials, if used.
-The project shall be deployed to a free instance of Heroku or AWS.

EDIT:

If it's decent, after this we do a final interview. In that I'll ask: "is this the kind of project you'd enjoy working on?" Our poo poo is boring AF. Much like this project. If someone just likes to learn though, our software, as it the nature of web scraping, finds beautifully creative ways to fail. Our internal sales process works because it is butter smooth, despite the challenges of using scraped data. So if this is something they liked, it's a good sign.

EDIT2:

I should also mention we are ery small, so everyone does dev through deployment.

In case it isn't obvious, the tiers of this project are as follows:

Tier 1: iT wOrKs On My CoMpUtEr
These people dont get it deployed. Some will. Instant fail.

Tier 2: Deployed badly or doesn't meet requirements.
This project can be banged out in under 2 hours. Maybe 3 if you're making a nice readme and whatnot. We don't have a QA group. Any lovely code they write that makes it through a PR becomes technical debt, with not much time to maintain it. Keep. It. Simple.

Did deploying this project need 1GB across 500 files all committed to GitHub? Weird cause someone else did it with like...4 files including a readme. Likely doesn't meet all functional requirements.

This might pass for an intern if they show some promise. Would not accept from a fulltimer.

Tier 3: They get it.
The project has been deployed somewhere and works when access through a URL.
It meets the spirit of all the requirements.
It has a reasonable file structure regardless of web framework used.
It has a useful readme and requirements.txt.
I am able to deploy their project.
Their code has comments

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

RokosCockatrice posted:

can I work for you?

can we trade jobs?