Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I feared the worst, but this looks really good I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Good trailer overall with some intriguing shots, and they especially nailed the shadowspawn.

The only stuff that looks concerning is some of the CGI and a few action shots, looked a bit amateurish or low budget.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just saw the trailer and what the gently caress, this looks awesome???

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Good trailer overall with some intriguing shots, and they especially nailed the shadowspawn.

The only stuff that looks concerning is some of the CGI and a few action shots, looked a bit amateurish or low budget.

I think this is maybe what I was trying to convey. The trailer was well put together but there's something very B movie about the production design.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think this is maybe what I was trying to convey. The trailer was well put together but there's something very B movie about the production design.
It feels uneven - Lan cutting down Trollocs looks badass, and then there's unrecognised dude with two axes doing a silly jump.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CainsDescendant posted:

I've been pissing and moaning about how dull and not colorful media has been for years, everything's always grey or all graded into some kind of monochrome. I'm very ready for something that has lots of bright colors, magic, epic fantasy! Big bright and bold is what I've been hoping for from this show and it looks like they might actually deliver

Big same for me. I love the bright and colorful shots vs everything being muted/muddy/shades of brown and gray with washed out color grading.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Officially Hyped.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Alright they definitely cut a good trailer. The fade looks rad.

See, I thought they were supposed to look almost exactly like a pale dude, just not having eyes. Otherwise what's the point of having the "No covering your face" rule in the Borderlands? It looks good, it just doesn't seem to fit for me. Same with the channeling, I'm hoping that's kind of slow-time to show what's going on. It's nitpicky I know, but it still looks really good and I'm really looking forward to an actual trailer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yoooooo, that was off the hook! This looks amazing and I can't loving wait.

Trollocs! Fade! Hell yeah. So pumped.

I just hope they don't get canceled or run out of money before the end.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The more times I watch it the more I like it, I'm afraid that my carefully cultivated un-hype is crumbling away

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just hope these no-namers can act, and that the dialogue is not something out of a CW show.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am excited for this

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Trailer looks good - does anyone else think it looks a bit too....I don't know, bright and polished, almost plastic? Every scene looks super bright, gives it a very PG13 look.

yeah, but imo it feels novel compared to the usual fantasy stuff where everything is brown or grey

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hughmoris posted:

I just hope these no-namers can act, and that the dialogue is not something out of a CW show.
Yep. Holding out hope that the writing and acting are both as good as the visuals.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

th3t00t posted:

Yep. Holding out hope that the writing and acting are both as good as the visuals.

I was hoping that with how the promos for characters Rand, Mat and Perrin look very much like ‘pretty face brainless CW teenager’ that it wouldn’t be bad acting. (Although to be honest they do act kinda like brainless CW angsty teenagers in the books)

The shot of Rand in the tavern with crazyface (at least at 14 seconds his face is lit weird) seems promising, looks like they chose someone who looks like they could progress from normal into ‘omg so crazy and on fire’

Goreld fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 3, 2021

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mat already seems fun, at least

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Edit: spoilers averted

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 3, 2021

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Having seen the trailer I am definitely preserving my scepticism about the likely quality of this. I'm guessing it's going to be palatable but not very good.

Basically all the voices all having standard posh RP 'I went straight from RADA to Hollywood' accents isn't great.

Trollocs, well we didn't get a good look but they really are going to need to look proper hosed up to be at all scary and non-dumb-looking, and I'm not confident based on what was in that trailer.
Fade looks pretty generic/uninspired. Give me an actual man's face with no eyes or some poo poo, something proper creepy, not B-movie alien/doctor who poo poo.
They can redeem these things with decent shooting and editing though. But why show it now? Spoils the reveal. Maybe the Draghkar will be properly cool.

One other thing I really would like them to do is to go to the effort of making the One Power not visible to non-power-wielders. But I suspect they haven't done that because they felt it would be too challenging. Don't know if there's an answer to this somewhere in an AMA or something.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Trailer looks good - does anyone else think it looks a bit too....I don't know, bright and polished, almost plastic? Every scene looks super bright, gives it a very PG13 look.
Yes. I don't want them to imitate GoT or the Witcher with so-gritty-everything's-covered-in-shite type aesthetic, but at the same time, we live in a post-GoT world so my prediction is that a big fantasy series has to make efforts to look vaguely 'real' in some sense, in order to have any impact on its audience. There was a shitload of shiny magic in the trailer and, fine, people like Marvel stuff so big woop but... super-heroes are one thing. They were part of common parlance and the cultural furniture long before the recent spate of Marvel movies. Wheel of Time is a totally new IP to most of the world. IMO it has some big hurdles to overcome if it wants to make inroads.

Anyways, we'll see! There was good stuff in there too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Officially hyped

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

El Grillo posted:

Basically all the voices all having standard posh RP 'I went straight from RADA to Hollywood' accents isn't great.

I disagree with most of your post but I think we can agree on this point. I'm getting pretty sick of fantasy=non specific english accents for everyone.

Hopefully we get proper southern drawls when appropriate in an upcoming season, though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm excited to watch this show do great and then watch as it has a great ending because the author actually gave a poo poo about his series being finished by an author and not some lovely hbo writers

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Apparently the first three episodes will drop on premiere date?

CainsDescendant posted:

I disagree with most of your post but I think we can agree on this point. I'm getting pretty sick of fantasy=non specific english accents for everyone.

Hopefully we get proper southern drawls when appropriate in an upcoming season, though.
I mean for a Brit it's basically like sitting and listening to incredibly posh/upper-class people for hours on end. So yeah it's pretty poo poo/unimaginative.

If people come from a total arse end of nowhere farming village I would love it if they sounded like it at least at first. Character progression can take many forms. Ah well.

RC Cola posted:

I'm excited to watch this show do great and then watch as it has a great ending because the author actually gave a poo poo about his series being finished by an author and not some lovely hbo writers
This is what I'm very excited about too lol.

Does anyone know anything about the writers/showrunners?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone know anything about the writers/showrunners?

The lead writer was on season 11 of Survivor, he did pretty well

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

The shot of Egwene embracing the Source was a good visual. This trailer gives me a lot of hope that the show will be good.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Having seen the trailer I am definitely preserving my scepticism about the likely quality of this. I'm guessing it's going to be palatable but not very good.

Trollocs, well we didn't get a good look but they really are going to need to look proper hosed up to be at all scary and non-dumb-looking, and I'm not confident based on what was in that trailer.
Fade looks pretty generic/uninspired. Give me an actual man's face with no eyes or some poo poo, something proper creepy, not B-movie alien/doctor who poo poo.
They can redeem these things with decent shooting and editing though. But why show it now? Spoils the reveal. Maybe the Draghkar will be properly cool.

One other thing I really would like them to do is to go to the effort of making the One Power not visible to non-power-wielders. But I suspect they haven't done that because they felt it would be too challenging. Don't know if there's an answer to this somewhere in an AMA or something.

Yes. I don't want them to imitate GoT or the Witcher with so-gritty-everything's-covered-in-shite type aesthetic, but at the same time, we live in a post-GoT world so my prediction is that a big fantasy series has to make efforts to look vaguely 'real' in some sense, in order to have any impact on its audience. There was a shitload of shiny magic in the trailer and, fine, people like Marvel stuff so big woop but... super-heroes are one thing. They were part of common parlance and the cultural furniture long before the recent spate of Marvel movies. Wheel of Time is a totally new IP to most of the world. IMO it has some big hurdles to overcome if it wants to make inroads.

Anyways, we'll see! There was good stuff in there too.

Yeah I've watched this a couple times and I agree with your take.

There is a good compromise between "everything is covered in gray mud" to "this looks like it was made in 1993" and I hope they find it. The Aes Sedai should have fabulous clothes in certain scenes but they can easily go overboard and make the world unrelatable. Revealing the trollocs and the fades in the very first trailer is also a bit of a letdown IMO. No buildup whatsoever. Very "show the best parts in the trailer" vibes.

Regardless, I'm still very excited and am glad the show looks at least somewhat promising.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If there weren't Trollocs and Fades or something sinister in the trailer it'd just look like a period piece; they kind of had to include something to establish that "yeah, there's some fantastical creatures and objectively evil poo poo going on and it's not just country bumpkins being led around by fancy people".

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There is a good compromise between "everything is covered in gray mud" to "this looks like it was made in 1993" and I hope they find it. The Aes Sedai should have fabulous clothes in certain scenes but they can easily go overboard and make the world unrelatable. Revealing the trollocs and the fades in the very first trailer is also a bit of a letdown IMO. No buildup whatsoever. Very "show the best parts in the trailer" vibes.

Regardless, I'm still very excited and am glad the show looks at least somewhat promising.

Nah, we haven't even seen Thom or Fain yet. There's much more they still haven't shown.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I've got a feeling that just about everything we saw in the trailer is from the first three episodes that are gonna drop together. Ogier, The Ways, Fal Dara, the Blight, there's plenty of cool stuff to come.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

If there weren't Trollocs and Fades or something sinister in the trailer it'd just look like a period piece; they kind of had to include something to establish that "yeah, there's some fantastical creatures and objectively evil poo poo going on and it's not just country bumpkins being led around by fancy people".
To be fair I think I'm setting myself up for failure in terms of my expectations of what they should do with trollocs... For some reason that first scene of them from the books at the farm when, during an ordinary evening by the fire at home, these huge hosed up mutant goat-wolf-men suddenly bust down the door and try to eat Rand and Tam... and then there's a whole night time fleeing from them thing was always something I pictured very vividly (I think it probably scared me a bit given how young I was when I first read it lol). They were always a kind of freaky concept to me for some reason, perhaps the sheer size of them and the chimeric aspect. Their introduction in the books was perfect. Hard to live up to if the showrunners decide to deviate heavily from Jordan's very cinematic writing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

El Grillo posted:

One other thing I really would like them to do is to go to the effort of making the One Power not visible to non-power-wielders. But I suspect they haven't done that because they felt it would be too challenging.
That's an issue I'm interested in as well. The books follow a standard of always having a dedicated perspective character—I'd like it if, in scenes where the Power is being used, the camerawork and special effects are done keeping in mind whose perspective the audience should be sharing. It doesn't have to be the exact sort of 1-to-1 style that the books take, but just, as the camera is the eye of the audience, have a clear answer to the question: Can the viewer see those weaves? Which (group of) characters perspective should the audience be aligned with, in this scene?

You could have a collection of scenes showing women channeling, both from the perspective of normal people ("oh poo poo things are happening and I can't see what's causing them") and from the perspective of women who can see the flows ("ah, she's doing [X], I should do [Y] to help/counter that."), and then suddenly mix the two tones when it's something like Aes Sedai vs. Logain, "oh poo poo I can only see our weaves, he's unpredictable."

El Grillo posted:

I mean for a Brit it's basically like sitting and listening to incredibly posh/upper-class people for hours on end. So yeah it's pretty poo poo/unimaginative.
My sincere condolences. That sounds awful. I've always imagined the Two Rivers folk to sound like rural/backwoods English, regional accent maybe shifting towards Irish as you head south (based on the audiobook narration for Lugarders more than anything else), but as an American all my personal experience gives me is "They should not sound like they could be BBC News presenters."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It'd be weird if they didn't include the ubiquitous monsters that show up really early in the plot. Fellowship of the Ring put orcs and Nazgul straight up in the earliest trailers, why wouldn't their knockoffstributes get the same treatment?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Need some Somerset accents in this thing, and then gradually move westwards across Wales, Ireland, eastern seaboard US and so on.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Killer robot posted:

It'd be weird if they didn't include the ubiquitous monsters that show up really early in the plot. Fellowship of the Ring put orcs and Nazgul straight up in the earliest trailers, why wouldn't their knockoffstributes get the same treatment?

True, but orcs and such are fairly standard fantasy fare that didn't have any shock or scare value for most people. In the novels, the build up to the first fade reveal is pretty awesome. I feel like showing a dark figure might have gotten the same point across, which I think they actually did elsewhere in the trailer.

But yeah, they need to market the show. I get that.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I'm hyped that it looks good, ready for a new fantasy series after the letdown that was GoT.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm into this, tentatively, but I know the show is going to get slapped hard for the CGI and I'm really not there for that conversation.

I'd rather a show go for it, and it look like Snowpiercer (the film), than concentrate its resources for the cost of less cool stuff.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

True, but orcs and such are fairly standard fantasy fare that didn't have any shock or scare value for most people.

You greatly overestimate how much exposure the average moviegoer had to standard fantasy fare in 2001.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Isn't like almost every movie just so much cgi? Cheaper then building sets I guess.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Affi posted:

Isn't like almost every movie just so much cgi? Cheaper then building sets I guess.

is it cheaper?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Interesting that the episode titles seem to strongly suggest that book 1 will be dealt with within the first four episodes: https://dragonmount.com/tv/s1/episodes/

Although elsewhere I've seen the Dragonmount folks suggest that season 1 focuses very much on book 1 and warning people not to read too much into the episode titles.

If it is as the episode titles seem to suggest, that would be a pretty fast pace for a series I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ChubbyChecker posted:

is it cheaper?

It is now, not so much in the past.