Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

site posted:

that post is 3 years old lol

Yeah, I was gonna share it until I saw the date. Francesco Francavilla was talking about it today.

I was surprised when I went to like it on Facebook and it was already liked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tom Taylor was also replying to it today, but he at least mentioned that it was an old post. no idea why he was replying to it now in the first place though

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It's a good post, worth emptyquoting until they stop doing what they do.
I hadn't previously seen it, and appreciate the echo. I am happy to read evidence supporting my hunch that Bill is ok, and this gives me no reason to stop enjoying his art

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

B33rChiller posted:

It's a good post, worth emptyquoting until they stop doing what they do.
I hadn't previously seen it, and appreciate the echo. I am happy to read evidence supporting my hunch that Bill is ok, and this gives me no reason to stop enjoying his art

I believe Bill was one of the first to get (understandably) super how at CG's claim Darwyn Cooke would have loved them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

As the date on that tweet suggests, Bill was indeed one of the first comic book creators who went in hard against CG. I remember it pretty distinctly because everyone else was still being hush hush about the subject at the time unless they were in the line of fire themselves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

As the date on that tweet suggests, Bill was indeed one of the first comic book creators who went in hard against CG. I remember it pretty distinctly because everyone else was still being hush hush about the subject at the time unless they were in the line of fire themselves.

Remember when Joe Q himself was like "okay, here, give me a list of your grievances and we'll talk about them" and CG couldn't even do that?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
they don't have any actual grievances, or at least ones that don't make them explicitly the bad guys.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Anora posted:

they don't have any actual grievances, or at least ones that don't make them explicitly the bad guys.

Right, EVS/CG just wants to be Fox News for comics - constantly bitching at the “establishment” but offering no solutions beyond “keep paying attention to us.” A perpetual outrage machine.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
like there are tons of actual problems at Marvel and DC, but somehow (and that somehow is bigotry) they only see the problem as "women and PoCs are writing comics now" and the solution is always "more US based white people need to make comics," even though the last like stand out comic from anyone that fits that description was, what, The Dark Knight Returns?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure there's been notable comics by US-based white people in an industry dominated by white people in the 35 years since DKR launched. That's a really weird comment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anora posted:

like there are tons of actual problems at Marvel and DC, but somehow (and that somehow is bigotry) they only see the problem as "women and PoCs are writing comics now" and the solution is always "more US based white people need to make comics," even though the last like stand out comic from anyone that fits that description was, what, The Dark Knight Returns?

I can name a ton of comics I liked that did well commercially written by straight white men since then. I can't think of many comics at all written since then that had the same sort of break through in terms of cultural osmosis. Walking Dead I guess?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Have you heard of this kinda indy series Invincible Iron Man

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
it's poorly worded on my part, but I mean what other US based creators have made a "must read" comic like that, watchmen, or the like.

Edit: Walking dead is a good one I forgot, thanks.

Anora fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 23, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Internet Wizard posted:

Have you heard of this kinda indy series Invincible Iron Man

I mean, they sorta based Iron-Man 3 on Warren Ellis' run but he clearly said "since Dark Knight Returns" and I wouldn't rate any Iron-Man run that came after that as big of a cultural signifier.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I can name a ton of comics I liked that did well commercially written by straight white men since then. I can't think of many comics at all written since then that had the same sort of break through in terms of cultural osmosis. Walking Dead I guess?

Most of classic Vertigo (Sandman, Transmet, Hellblazer). The stuff that gets adapted for TV (Umbrella Academy, Preacher, Jupiter's Legacy, Invincible, Deadly Class, Tick, TMNT, The Boys).

I don't know if all those creators are straight white dudes, but most are.

I guess how much "osmosis" we are talking about, but we're in a cultural moment where everything is niche.

Walking Dead certainly has more cultural relevance than DKR.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 23, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
To be fair they said "US base" which rules out a lot of the runs mentioned including all of the cited Vertigo stuff. Either way a) I'd say Ultimate Spider-Man maybe, maybe Alias-- say what you will about Bendis he set the tone for a long time, and in ways which directly informed Marvel's big media resurgence
b) this is a weird derail so let's just all agree it was kind of a silly post and move on before this becomes the white guy appreciation station which feels somewhat counter to the spirit of this thread

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
brubaker's cap run

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

brubaker's cap run

Oh, that actually fits the original post, not just "white boy's greatest hits."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

How Wonderful! posted:

b) this is a weird derail so let's just all agree it was kind of a silly post and move on before this becomes the white guy appreciation station which feels somewhat counter to the spirit of this thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uthor posted:

Most of classic Vertigo (Sandman, Transmet, Hellblazer). The stuff that gets adapted for TV (Umbrella Academy, Preacher, Jupiter's Legacy, Invincible, Deadly Class, Tick, TMNT, The Boys).

I don't know if all those creators are straight white dudes, but most are.

Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Jamie Delano, Gerard Way, Garth Ennis, Mark Millar, Robert Kirkman, Rick Remender, Ben Edlund, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird are indeed all white men, and apart from Delano, Remender, Edlund and Laird they are all definitely straight. (Not to say that those four aren't - I just don't know for sure.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anora posted:

Telling none of them think to go after CB Cebulski for his cosplay as the honorable Akira Yoshida-sama.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Someone replied to that old anti-CG post I think, which bumps it fresh back into everyone's feeds.

Bill Sienkiewicz is a sweetheart. He noticed my work via Facebook, and greeted me by name at SDCC in 2019.

I nearly cried just to feel acknowledged and seen like that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
thread

https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473103628222465
https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473286739054592
https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473562887720962
https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473789061382153

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/colinbell/status/1433409938315960324?s=20

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Man, gently caress Joe Bennet. Piece of poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Twitter won't let me read threads or comments without logging in anymore. Used to happen occasionally but now it's on everything. What a garbage platform

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Twitter won't let me read threads or comments without logging in anymore. Used to happen occasionally but now it's on everything. What a garbage platform

Kindof makes you want to login, eh? :smuggo:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Kindof makes you want to login, eh? :smuggo:

no, it just makes me not read that poo poo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Retro Futurist posted:

This is me, but with Facebook.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's also being a pain in the rear end for Instagram. The tattoo threads now have many mysteries for me. Someone posts a tattoo on those threads and it's an instagram link, it's not viewable by me. And I have an account and the app on my phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, I can see Instagram on my phone, but not pc.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
For Twitter, just refresh the page it won’t let you see. It’ll show you after you do that. Super annoying, I agree.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Huge :wtf: to both of these.

I'm glad Ewing addressed it, at least.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Those are both horrifying stories in completely different ways. That Joe Bennett image is disgusting knowing the meaning behind it. And that story about Action Labs is incredibly infuriating.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Seems like Al put on his big boy pants, at least.

Lousy silver lining, I know.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Action Labs new business model seems to be ransoming IP back to their unpaid creators.
https://twitter.com/jjperezwrites/status/1433966611338174465?s=19

They've been sued by at least one of their creators:
Zombie Tramp Comic Creator Settles With Action Lab Over Lawsuit

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
A reminder that Chapterhouse, now rebranded as Lev Gleason Comic House, remains hot garbage.

https://twitter.com/MyNameIsKingdom/status/1434192793073750020?s=19

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
It's kind of refreshing to get confirmation that Comicsgate seems to be some sort of strange money laundering scheme and doesn't actually have as many backers as people think:

https://twitter.com/chloehandler/status/1434483894842126344?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shane Davis is CG?

gently caress man, I have his Superman statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

It's kind of refreshing to get confirmation that Comicsgate seems to be some sort of strange money laundering scheme and doesn't actually have as many backers as people think:

Yeah, and also the fact CG does not appear to be making as much money off The Grift as they want you to think.