Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Regalingualius posted:

So is there a faster way to get the tokens that the Heavensward Extreme primals drop aside from one per kill? Because drat do I want the whale-themed katana.

You hope the katana drops as regular loot an you roll well for it, before you do it 10 times. The tokens are a consolation prize for people with just the worst kind of luck. The ones for the mounts cost 99, and frankly, if I'm doing a fight 99 times and missing the roll/it's not dropping I'm thankful for the tokens.

Also yeah the crafted glamour versions are in the ballpark of 100k and have a bubble/feather effect so there's that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I just saw that on one of the wikis.

99 times, assuming it takes you a few minutes per kill… :stonk:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's not really applicable for HW birds anymore since the drop rates have been buffed and you can solo it so there's no one else to roll against.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Totally new player here, looking forward to a new Final Fantasy world to play in, but the launcher is actively preventing me from registering. I couldn't create a Square Enix account through it because it kept constantly crashing when I submitted the email verification code. So I created an account on the Square Enix site and continued on. Now the launcher constantly crashes after entering the serial number. It loads the next page, hangs, and then CTDs.

Has anybody else had problems like this? I'm using Windows 10, playing through Steam. I've disabled the Steam overlay since I now have entered the serial number so many times I have it committed to memory. I searched online for launcher issues and found fixes involving Internet Explorer settings. All the IE settings were where they needed to be when I checked, though, so that didn't pan out.

Wow that launcher is a piece of poo poo. I just wanted to run around having mage fun

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Algid posted:

It's not really applicable for HW birds anymore since the drop rates have been buffed and you can solo it so there's no one else to roll against.

Yeah, while a dedicated EX mount farmer might actually hit the 99 token mark to pity purchase their mount, that doesn't tend to come up in practice outside of current expansion content if you're doing a bunch of clears prior to them buffing the drop rate. Older expansion mounts have filtered through the playerbase enough that you're going to have less competition, assuming that you can't just solo the fight yourself. Many of them have been in the prize pool for Mogtome events over time where you could buy them for a few runs of separate content instead.

Rathalos and two of the EX fights in the SHB cycle only take 50 clears to be able to buy the mount (Rath only costs 50 in the first place and the SHB fights in question drop two tokens each clear), so it's unclear how that might be handled going forward (the former was a super long fight at launch so it made sense; the latter is odd because it's really not any longer than the norm so it might be a test case for future design).

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Howard Beale posted:

Totally new player here, looking forward to a new Final Fantasy world to play in, but the launcher is actively preventing me from registering. I couldn't create a Square Enix account through it because it kept constantly crashing when I submitted the email verification code. So I created an account on the Square Enix site and continued on. Now the launcher constantly crashes after entering the serial number. It loads the next page, hangs, and then CTDs.

Has anybody else had problems like this? I'm using Windows 10, playing through Steam. I've disabled the Steam overlay since I now have entered the serial number so many times I have it committed to memory. I searched online for launcher issues and found fixes involving Internet Explorer settings. All the IE settings were where they needed to be when I checked, though, so that didn't pan out.

Wow that launcher is a piece of poo poo. I just wanted to run around having mage fun

Have you tried launching in admin mode?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Howard Beale posted:

Setting up the account and getting the correct launcher was easily the worst part of this game, it took about a day to get it all working correctly. There's a different launcher for the trial account and paid accounts iirc. Was rear end. Once I got it all working it stayed working though.

I think I had to launch the site in a completely virgin instance of a browser in admin mode and also used my phone browser for a bit.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I never had any issue, I played free for about 2 weeks and then went paid and everything just worked?
But I got everything from the main ff14 website, no steam.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, I went standalone and have had no issues so far, other than the mild annoyance of having to grab my phone for 2auth every time I want to log in.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah, I went standalone and have had no issues so far, other than the mild annoyance of having to grab my phone for 2auth every time I want to log in.

I live dangerously and use XIVLauncher plus someone's quick-and-dirty TOTP app to feed the 2fa code directly to it. Don't need to type a dang thing to log in.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

My recent experience with the MSQ can basically be summed up as (Heavensward spoilers):

“Hero! Thank Halone you’re here, Ser Aymeric has been st—

“That’s good and all, but shut the gently caress up and let me tell you about this seminary school mystery that I helped solve.”

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

mirarant posted:

Have you tried launching in admin mode?

Yeah, tried running as Admin and with UAC turned off. I tried the launcher executable on its own but it refused my serial number since I wasn't coming from Steam apparently.

I'll check the website. If somehow there's a way on the website to register the game to my Steam serial I will be surprised. And not surprised.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Beat the 3.x stuff and started Stormblood tonight.

Already seeing why folks say this one is weaker. After everything that happens in HW, a story that seems to be a lot heavier on straight politics seems quiant.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Was able to register the Steam serial through Square Enix's "Mog Station" website and am patching up. Thanks, helpful Moogles.

TrucMachinChose
Oct 9, 2012
Newbie who got some advice the other day checking in, I'm still having a lot of fun! My Archer recently turned into a Bard, and my Conjurer is only a few levels behind thank to some leveling roulette. dang the difference between queuing as a dps and a healer is insane. I also started a Pugilist who's still a bit below level 10, and I've been having a blast with all the gathering classes, to the point my highest class is actually my FSH who's a good 4 levels higher than my bard rn. quick question btw, which DOH class is the one who can take over mender duties? it's not a big investment but i'd like to learn how to repair my gear myself

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TrucMachinChose posted:

quick question btw, which DOH class is the one who can take over mender duties? it's not a big investment but i'd like to learn how to repair my gear myself

Literally any of them. Cook your gear better.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arist posted:

Technically it's based on the item. If you look at a tooltip you'll see what DoH you need to repair it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kyrosiris posted:

Technically it's based on the item. If you look at a tooltip you'll see what DoH you need to repair it.

That's what I get for talking without checking :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Just wondering, about when and where in Heavensward does the profession catchup stuff become available? I just got done with the part where you “reunite” with Minfilia.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regalingualius posted:

Just wondering, about when and where in Heavensward does the profession catchup stuff become available? I just got done with the part where you “reunite” with Minfilia.

If you're talking about the Firmament, you can start that at the end of 3.3 I think?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At the end of the Antitower dungeon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regalingualius posted:

At the end of the Antitower dungeon.

That's near the start of 3.2, the MSQ quest you need to complete is "Litany of Peace".

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Had an awful experience during aururm vale last night. I had never ran dungeon before so I didn't know about the fruit or the debuff pools. I'm playing paladin, so we start and I go and round up a ton of mobs. drat near instantly dead. once we all rez, I just decide to tone it down a little, not grab as many mobs. Still wiped. Then we get to the first miniboss, and we wipe again had no idea about the fruit. Healer then decides to talk, got super mad, wrote a paragraph, called names, and then just left lmao :|

We wait a little bit and finally got a new healer and they were very helpful, instructed me on what to do, and we eventually finished despite a couple more setbacks.

I hate that dungeon!!!!! I never want to run it again!!!!!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ah, the classic Aurum Vale experience. Sorry you had someone get mad at you, that sucks, but wiping in the first room is incredibly common, don't feel bad about that. The way enemies patrol around makes it easy to pick up more than you can handle, and they hit pretty hard too. The fruit thing isn't exactly intuitive either.

It used to be harder, the debuffs in the first and last boss did more damage and the second boss didn't have AOE markers. You just had to tell what attack he was doing based on his animations, there are some similar bosses that still work like that. Holding club with one hand = frontal cone, holding with both hands = circle.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arist posted:

That's near the start of 3.2, the MSQ quest you need to complete is "Litany of Peace".

Yeah it's closer to the trial named The Final Steps of Faith.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Begemot posted:

Ah, the classic Aurum Vale experience. Sorry you had someone get mad at you, that sucks, but wiping in the first room is incredibly common, don't feel bad about that. The way enemies patrol around makes it easy to pick up more than you can handle, and they hit pretty hard too. The fruit thing isn't exactly intuitive either.

It used to be harder, the debuffs in the first and last boss did more damage and the second boss didn't have AOE markers. You just had to tell what attack he was doing based on his animations, there are some similar bosses that still work like that. Holding club with one hand = frontal cone, holding with both hands = circle.

I still have no idea when I'm supposed to eat the fruit. healer kept telling me "eat fruit when you have 2 stacks of *whatever thats called*"

so I just ate one every time they appeared

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there are little icons for all the status effects on your character on your ui somewhere, the positive ones and negative ones are separated out, theyre referring to when the negative status effect has a 2 on it for 2 stacks

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

g-c posted:

Healer then decides to talk, got super mad, wrote a paragraph, called names, and then just left lmao :|

I'm sorry they were a jerk about it, anyone who has done Aurum Vale should understand that it can be pretty rough for new players. It even tells you if someone hasn't done the dungeon before when you zone in (hooray bonus tomestones!).

If you didn't report them you absolutely could, namecalling is prohibited and they'll get in trouble with the GMs. You can report someone by going to the System menu -> Support Desk -> Contact Us -> Report Harassment. If you need to check the other player's name you can go to Social -> Contacts to see the 50 players you partied with most recently.

I definitely encourage anyone who has a bad experience with a rude player to report them, because the GMs take it seriously and if they do the same behavior repeatedly they'll get hit with increasing punishment for it: "Players that have previously received a penalty to their account must take extra care to abide by the rules and policies to avoid losing access to their service account permanently, as the severity of account penalties taken against a player increase with each instance, up to termination of the service account or even the Square Enix account. Certain behaviour, however, may warrant immediate termination."

For anyone curious here is a link to the Prohibited Behavior page:
https://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=5382&la=1&kid=68216

And here is a link to the Account Penalty Policy:
https://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=68098&id=5382&la=1

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Arist posted:

Arist posted:

You can repair on any class when you've got the required DoH level for the item, though, and CUL literally cooks your gear when you repair, so you're not wrong.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

parasyte posted:

I live dangerously and use XIVLauncher plus someone's quick-and-dirty TOTP app to feed the 2fa code directly to it. Don't need to type a dang thing to log in.

Pray tell me more about this TOTP app!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

TrucMachinChose posted:

quick question btw, which DOH class is the one who can take over mender duties? it's not a big investment but i'd like to learn how to repair my gear myself

If you want to be able to repair all of your gear (and it's not really worth doing yourself if you can't) you basically need all the DOH jobs. Someone mentioned earlier that it's on a per-item basis, but I also wanted to add that it won't be consistent even for a given slot and job. For example, tanking pants might require leatherworker or weaver depending on the item. Or jewelry may require goldsmith or carpenter.

You definitely can't get away with "I'm a WHM so all my gear will be cloth and repaired by weaver" or whatever. I don't recommend dipping into crafting unless crafting itself interests you.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Aurum Vale is the first time I completely failed to heal a dungeon. I simply couldn't keep the tank up after 2 or 3 tries, even doing the mechanics correctly.
My solution was to go by a bunch of cheap 115 level gear off the market, but even then it is probably the most difficult healing I have ever done.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arist posted:

I figured you were confusing it with the crafter tribes, where you absolutely can deep-fry an airship engine. :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tbh tanking and healing 2.0 dungeons is very different from tanking and healing anything made in 2.1 or later and almost all the advice you get online is designed for the later dungeons, and depending on the dungeon, this advice ranges from a bit weird to suicidal in earlier dungeons. The worst offenders for this are Stone Vigil and Aurum Vale, both of which will just murder you dead if you double pull unless both the tank and healer are in synced gear. If you go ham in Aurum Vale and try to full pull the first room I'm not sure anything can save you. Maybe if all four players are in synced gear, and it's like pal/whm/blm/blm and you coordinate the hallowed ground and holy immunity periods

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Aurum Vale has a lot of newbie traps beyond the infamous first room. Anyone who's a dick to newbies in there sucks because it's very different from other dungeons to that point and there's a lot of trap mechanics.

The fruit cleanses all status effects on your character. The main purpose is removing the Gold Dust or bramble stacks the boss puts on people, which are progressively stronger damage over time effect. Those effects can't be cleansed by healer magic, and a tank with a bunch of stacks can be extra difficult for a healer to keep up.

The general recommendation is eating it at two stacks on the first boss or 2-3 on the last (you can also eat it on the last boss if you get caught by Bad Breath). If everyone eats a fruit every single debuff there might not be enough later in the fight if someone really needs one, but in general it's not a big deal if folks chow down some when they get debuffed.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

g-c posted:

I still have no idea when I'm supposed to eat the fruit. healer kept telling me "eat fruit when you have 2 stacks of *whatever thats called*"

so I just ate one every time they appeared

You get a debuff icon when you're hit by the first boss's Gold Dust and the last boss's burr attacks. It'll have a 1 on it, and the number will get higher as you get hit with it more times. You eat the fruit to remove the effect at 2 stacks in the first boss fight and 3 in the last boss. The damage over time ramps up pretty severely after that.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Peachfart posted:

Aurum Vale is the first time I completely failed to heal a dungeon. I simply couldn't keep the tank up after 2 or 3 tries, even doing the mechanics correctly.
My solution was to go by a bunch of cheap 115 level gear off the market, but even then it is probably the most difficult healing I have ever done.

One thing it takes a while to understand as a healer that a lot of the time, it straight up isn't your fault when poo poo goes bad. You can play perfectly and still be struggling if your tank sucks, and you can have a tank and healer playing perfectly and still struggle if your DPS players suck. If you've reached the point where you've exhausted yourself by bombing the poo poo out of the tank with all your GCD heals and cooldowns, and they die anyway, the blame probably rests with someone other than you.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 2, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is always impressive what people can pull in ARR dungeons when they really know what they're doing. I posted once about levelling Astrologian and seeing a tank do a wall pull at the start of Dzemael Darkhold and being absolutely stunned that we all survived. He had good gear and was on point and while I was a bit new and unsteady as a healer I kept my head and kept us alive.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Did the tank do the same? Aurum Vale is positioned perfectly to get someone still rocking their level 35 armor and trying to hold out for this last leveling dungeon to push them to 50, and getting a hole punched in their sternum for their trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Subjunctive posted:

Pray tell me more about this TOTP app!

I can maybe upload the exe when I get back home, but I git cloned this and built it with visual studio community. It built with no issues.
https://github.com/yjywybb/FFXIV-OTP-Assistant
e: i uploaded it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yBWJcv3qcrW9HB9QBWlGGQuNNEn9RHop/view?usp=sharing
i pinky swear there's no backdoor or anything, and it doesn't look like there's one in the original code either

The resulting exe expects a command-line argument of your TOTP secret; you'll need to get that out of your authenticator app somehow. If you can't you'll need to remove and re-add 2FA, and this time both add it to your OTP app of choice and also get the text of the code so you can get just the 32-character key. Make a shortcut to the exe and add your OTP key as an argument, and then hit that shortcut when XIVLauncher prompts for your OTP.

This is absolutely less secure than having the OTP secret live separate from your computer, but gently caress it, the convenience wins for me.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 3, 2021