Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

p cool that rolan emmerich is making a sequel to melancholia (trying to get this joke in early)

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1433418509527179264

the moon will cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
do not come. do not come.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

seriously though that looks rad as hell and I'm in the mood for a stupid roland movie

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

gradenko_2000 posted:

Last night I watched "SAS: Rise of the Black Swan" on Netflix. The big plot set-up of the movie is that the UK government hires a mercenary group to clear the way for an oil pipeline in the Republic of Georgia, and "clearing the way" involves massacring a village that refused to allow the pipeline to displace their homes. The mercenaries were caught on camera killing innocent civilians, and when international calls are made to surrender the mercenaries for a trial in the Hague (they're headquartered in London), the Prime Minister decides instead to have the mercs killed by the SAS, with a cover story that they were resisting arrest.

The daughter of the mercenary leader manages to escape (because there's a mole inside the SAS that tipped her off), and so she hatches this plan to hijack the Channel Tunnel train, stop it right below where the Chunnel intersects with an undersea gas pipeline, drill up into the pipeline, and hold the pipeline hostage in exchange for big pay-out and safe passage.

The UK government is caught in enough of a bind that they agree to her terms, with the ransom money being provided by "BritGaz", who were the ones who wanted that Georgian pipeline in the first place.

As a further insurance policy, the mercs record their conversation with the government, and release it into the public as they try to make their escape.

I thought the way the movie ended was incredibly realistic, in that despite video evidence of the arrangement being publicly available, the Prime Minister manages to shrug off calls for his resignation and the whole scandal amounts to a shouting match in the House of Commons during PMQs where nothing gets resolved.
Wait this is just SAS Red Notice....

Ah, looks like Netflix changed the name to Rise of the Black Swan because they were making an entirely different movie named "Red Notice" with The Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oUwf3HNPyo

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
It's hilarious how South and East Asian American/Canadian interests get hijacked by PMC types for whom the top priority is getting a Marvel movie.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The United States posted:

Wait this is just SAS Red Notice....

Ah, looks like Netflix changed the name to Rise of the Black Swan because they were making an entirely different movie named "Red Notice" with The Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oUwf3HNPyo

I've had a huge crush on Ruby Rose since I saw her in John Wick 2

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

p cool that rolan emmerich is making a sequel to melancholia (trying to get this joke in early)

this looks really really stupid and boring. I hope Halle got paid.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

did the planet actually come down in that movie? i gave up halfway tru because it seemed to be mostly about boring poo poo that had nothing to do with planets crashing into each other

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1433458075562909697?s=20
china really showing the gop how to call the shots

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

babypolis posted:

did the planet actually come down in that movie? i gave up halfway tru because it seemed to be mostly about boring poo poo that had nothing to do with planets crashing into each other

yeah it did, great ending to a great movie

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

well yeah, the whole point is showing how people will realistically react & behave in the face of certain doom ie ignore it until the last possible second. i'm not a huge von trier fan but he knocked this one out of the park. it's a perfect cpsam movie, i really recommend a rewatch.

Laterite has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Sep 2, 2021

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
You will believe the moon can fall

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
deorbit the moon? don't mind if i do!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Judakel posted:

then covid happened. whoops. now none of your movies will ever make a billion again.

They'll keep using that as the measure though, as if nothing has changed.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah it did, great ending to a great movie

Laterite posted:

well yeah, the whole point is showing how people will realistically react & behave in the face of certain doom ie ignore it until the last possible second. i'm not a huge von trier fan but he knocked this one out of the park. it's a perfect cpsam movie, i really recommend a rewatch.

yeah i guess i wasnt in the right mentality for it because i expected a disaster movie and not a lars von trier movie. i should give it another chance

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

they aren't banning "sissy boys" they're banning celebrity culture

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what was the exact chinese word is this one of those deliberately terrible translations

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Melancholia would have been better if the name of the planet wasn't literally Melancholia. The metaphor was so on the nose that it ruined the movie for me.

Science is useless against.... MELANCHOLIA.

I hosed up my life and/or killed myself because of... MELANCHOLIA

Nobody can stop... MELANCHOLIA.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Once again China is correct. Death 2 celebrities

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

what was the exact chinese word is this one of those deliberately terrible translations
It's the Daily Mail, no reason to believe this is anything but them trying to get their own readership fired up about the "sissy men" at home.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

drat horror queefs posted:

Melancholia would have been better if the name of the planet wasn't literally Melancholia. The metaphor was so on the nose that it ruined the movie for me.

Appears out of nowhere too cuz astronomers never looked in the right spot

It owns

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Blood Boils posted:

Appears out of nowhere too cuz astronomers never looked in the right spot

It owns

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

except kirsten dunst who bathes in its glow naked and sheds her depression (or has it externalized) while everyone else can't cope and she guides them through it before everything is obliterated with wagner playing....... need to rewatch, only seen it the 1 time in theaters when it came out

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Sep 2, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my impression wasnt that kirsten dunst has her depression fixed by the demon planet but rather the fact that she was already extremely depressed for completely unrelated reasons made it much easier for her to cope with the fact that earth was about to be completely obliterated

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

von trier only has a hammer

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

he is very good with the hammer though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugghhhhhhhhhhh i can't believe i'm going to watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fus4Xb_TLg

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i also really enjoyed nymphomanic when i watched it nearly 10 years ago but i'm sure it's much tougher to watch now with full knowledge of von trier's sex crimes

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Can Kiefer Sutherland save the planet?

<takes every suicide pill he can find, leaving his family to face the end because he's a horrific coward and was afraid he didn't have enough pills>

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

my impression wasnt that kirsten dunst has her depression fixed by the demon planet but rather the fact that she was already extremely depressed for completely unrelated reasons made it much easier for her to cope with the fact that earth was about to be completely obliterated

yeah definitely that's what i (inelegantly) meant by having it externalized, that she is able to have a better handle on it all because she was so depressed and already felt as if or accepted the world (her world) was ending

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
patty janky because her movies suck rear end

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this sounds great can't wait

https://twitter.com/Kza/status/1433496481848168467

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Melancholia would be better if it was just Hellstar Remina instead, change my mind

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

i also really enjoyed nymphomanic when i watched it nearly 10 years ago but i'm sure it's much tougher to watch now with full knowledge of von trier's sex crimes

Wait what

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Iirc Dunst said she played that character as if she was from the other planet, I also remember Von Trier said something about Hitler so ppl would talk about him and promote it.

Ah, from 2011

“For a long time I thought I was a Jew and I was happy to be a Jew,” he began, “then I met (Danish and Jewish director) Susanne Bier and I wasn’t so happy. But then I found out I was actually a Nazi. My family were German. And that also gave me some pleasure. What can I say? I understand Hitler…I sympathize with him a bit.”

“I don’t mean I’m in favor of World War II and I’m not against Jews, not even Susanne Bier.” “In fact I’m very much in favor of them. All Jews. Well, Israel is a pain in the rear end but…”

“Now how can I get out of this sentence? Ok. I’m a Nazi.”

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Sep 3, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

googling 'lars von trier allegations' brings up bjork saying in 2017 that he sexually harassed her https://www.facebook.com/bjork/posts/10155782628166460 cant find anything else. seems like it got kinda buried with all the other metoo poo poo at the time

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah definitely that's what i (inelegantly) meant by having it externalized, that she is able to have a better handle on it all because she was so depressed and already felt as if or accepted the world (her world) was ending

but enough about c-spam

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i say swears online posted:

lol they're going to turn the horny bdsm fantasy novel into an epic girlboss movie

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

i say swears online posted:

trailer not 60% braid tugging by volume, not going to watch this travesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Iirc Dunst said she played that character as if she was from the other planet

what would this have to do with anything though even if it were true. like whatever her process was worked by most accounts but like. what