Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah if you wanna get into Fate just pick one of the animes that seems interesting, you don't need to see it all to have any idea of what's what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Warriors Orochi is literally fanfiction tier poo poo lol. It's maybe my favorite game of the entire franchise (the first WO), due to the difficulty introduced, but in terms of story or history... don't even try making sense of that poo poo

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

anyone else feel like watching anime after midnight hits different

It's definitely the toonami vibes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you could also just play fate/extra or something, those games are their own corner of the setting that can give you an idea of the characters and mechanics while functioning well as a self-contained storyline and the remake of the first one is looking pretty good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

anyone else feel like watching anime after midnight hits different

For me there's some nostalgia with watching late night anime due to waking up in the middle of the night to watch anime on Adult Swim, and setting my alarm in middle school to watch both early morning anime on cartoon network (.hack//legend of the twilight bracelet, .hack//roots, and the last season of Yu Yu Hakusho aired from 5-6AM) and various anime on STARZ that aired late at night that I'd have to sneak into the living room and watch on the main TV for the satelight hookup (the main show I remember being Vandread of all things).

However, I usually just prefer binging a bunch of anime in the morning and afternoon while nice and cozy in bed, the relaxed and comfortable state makes it easier to focus on the show without being too tired to focus, or getting distracted by other things.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
watching anime late at night on the big tv where my parents could see if they weren't asleep

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
watching anime past midnight is just a normal day, its if i do something truly insane like watch it at 7am on a saturday that its reminiscent of anything

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Julias posted:

For me there's some nostalgia with watching late night anime due to waking up in the middle of the night to watch anime on Adult Swim, and setting my alarm in middle school to watch both early morning anime on cartoon network (.hack//legend of the twilight bracelet, .hack//roots, and the last season of Yu Yu Hakusho aired from 5-6AM) and various anime on STARZ that aired late at night that I'd have to sneak into the living room and watch on the main TV for the satelight hookup (the main show I remember being Vandread of all things).

However, I usually just prefer binging a bunch of anime in the morning and afternoon while nice and cozy in bed, the relaxed and comfortable state makes it easier to focus on the show without being too tired to focus, or getting distracted by other things.

reminds me of the days i stayed over my friends house and saw fist of the north star for the first time lol... that was awesome

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Getting caught watching YYH when you should've been asleep hours ago FTW.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kild posted:

Getting caught watching YYH when you should've been asleep hours ago FTW.

watching akira at age 8 bc your older sister was far more advanced ftw

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Jerkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNIhngowViI

I wish the vtuber thread was around for this king cover it's gnarly!

I thought I was done with King covers but this is really good.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i think i stayed up late with the tv down real low and blankets blocking the bottom of my door so no light went out

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I would get caught bc they'd check if my TV was hot.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i just finished gridman while Nite Watchin'

i saw dynazenon before watching gridman

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kild posted:

I would get caught bc they'd check if my TV was hot.

*your dad sees gunbuster on tv* too hot. youre grounded.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I was house sitting for my aunt one time and watched Outlaw Star on the TV with her cat. When I turned it off to go to bed he looked at me, harumphed as best a cat can and wandered off to go sleep somewhere else.

good cat

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i cant relate to any of this because not only was i forbidden from having a tv in my room i also didnt have cable access growing up

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

a childhood without stolen cable is truly sad

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
4 channels is enough for anyone :corsair:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
going to my grandma's house was extra special because she had nickelodeon and the disney channel

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Staying up past my bedtime to watch Toonami Midnight Run and seeing dbz and gundam with BLOOD and SWEARING made me feel like such a badass...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stayed up late after YTV had played a DBZ marathon and ended up watching a show where Knights were fighting monsters at the bottom of a canyon and the episode ended with a girl getting swallowed whole by a giant plant monster.

I didn't watch late night anime after that.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Claymore was alright

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that what I watched? I was small and traumatized and Claymore the show was like 2007 when I was in my 14 year old edgelord "I don't watch that cutesy poo poo anime" phase. I couldn't have been more than 10 when I watched what I shouldn't have.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 2, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

when i was a kid i saw gundam wing in japanese and played endless duel when they were actually coming out, so like 96/97ish, then in early 2000 i had to spend a couple months in hospital when i was already a latchkey kid so no one was really able to come visit me, and ytv would air some anime on weeknights really late like gundam wing dubbed. i got to stay up as late as i want with the tv in m room and watch whatever i wanted, sometimes nurses would get bored and come hang out and watch anime because the other kids were asleep. it was cool to be able to tell them what was going to happen next because id already seen it, but also to hear them saying the words and understand them better. gundam wing dubbed is a perfect anime. now im an adult with a sleep disorder and i still watch anime. make it make sense

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do you go through the rest of life threatening to murder every woman who talks to you?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

no but i do have to always yell ITS A GUNDAM

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

IT'S JUST ONE MOBILE SUIT

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

poo poo bob backlund looks exactly like a gundam antagonist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Stayed up late after YTV had played a DBZ marathon and ended up watching a show where Knights were fighting monsters at the bottom of a canyon and the episode ended with a girl getting swallowed whole by a giant plant monster.

I didn't watch late night anime after that.
Record of lodoss war?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

Record of lodoss war?

Looking through pictures I think we might have a winner here. That art style definitely looks familiar. Did anyone ever get eaten by a plant monster in that show?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't remember a scene like that specifically, but I remember there being most of the D&D monster manual, and I remember pretty gory deaths, so it's entirely possible it happened somewhere in there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could very well be getting a Mandela Effect memory jumble. Could have been a plant monster, was definitely someone getting eaten alive, maybe a slime or something. Traumatic for younger me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Warriors Orochi is literally fanfiction tier poo poo lol. It's maybe my favorite game of the entire franchise (the first WO), due to the difficulty introduced, but in terms of story or history... don't even try making sense of that poo poo

a goddess is so horny for link she tries to destroy the world

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TV anime here always was at like early night/late afternoon instead of after midnight. When Adult Swim aired here it adamantly refused to air anime and it even poked fun at people who asked it which is ok because Toonami was like 17-20

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I just had a nice show get animed. The Maoyu anime was a cute star-crossed lovers story between a demon king and the human hero … then bang polygamy out of nowhere

It doesn’t even make sense to add as fan service, the Female lead is the protagonist while the male is basically a plot device. She’s awesome btw.

I mean ok it’s only implied polygamy but whatever don’t polygamysplain me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Me and my wife finished Yurucamp season 2 and decided we'll go out and camp and make season 3 ourselves because waiting is for dorks

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

PS noob question can somebody explain or link me to an explanation for what LM, WN, etc are and what it means if a work gets an LN but not more?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Han Nehi posted:

PS noob question can somebody explain or link me to an explanation for what LM, WN, etc are and what it means if a work gets an LN but not more?

LN: Light Novel. Breezily written genre fiction with some art included, generally.
WN: Web Novel. Self-published novels online. A common trend is for something to be popular as a web novel, get picked up for publication as a light novel, then get adapted into an anime.

most works don't 'get' LNs, but are rather based on LNs. Some series do get light novel spinoffs but far more common is for an anime to be based on a light novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/YoriYoshiORGS/status/1431925005508497409

https://twitter.com/JQHNHARQLD/status/1433049237214748672

Small dose of Amelia Watson

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 2, 2021