Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBH it sounds like one of those things where they had NPH in for an audition and either he read for another part and they went with someone else but still wanted him, or they just had him read for the part and he killed it so they re-worked the character. If any of the schlubby character writing exists in the final product you'd find it in the pilot episode.

Pilots are weird like that. Like in Seinfeld you have a diner they never go to again, a waitress that never shows up again filling a vaguely Elaine-like role, no Elaine, Kramer is "Kessler" and also I think he knocks before entering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

MrUnderbridge posted:

Naturally, Donald was on the show. This was when he was married to former mistress Marla Maples, and Tiffany had just been born. True class act that he is, he said Tiff had Marla's legs, but he didn't know "if she's got this part yet" as he cupped his hands over his chest.

Unsurprisingly, this kind of creepiness didn’t end there. Quote below is from this article from one of Ivanka’s former childhood friends:

quote:

He would barely acknowledge me except to ask if Ivanka was the prettiest or the most popular girl in our grade. Before I learned that the Trumps have no sense of humor about themselves, I remember answering honestly that she was probably in the top five. “Who’s prettier than Ivanka?” I recall him asking once with genuine confusion, before correctly naming the two girls I’d had in mind. He described one as a young Cindy Crawford, while the other he said had a great figure.

The grade in question? 7th.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

christmas boots posted:

TBH it sounds like one of those things where they had NPH in for an audition and either he read for another part and they went with someone else but still wanted him, or they just had him read for the part and he killed it so they re-worked the character. If any of the schlubby character writing exists in the final product you'd find it in the pilot episode.

Pilots are weird like that. Like in Seinfeld you have a diner they never go to again, a waitress that never shows up again filling a vaguely Elaine-like role, no Elaine, Kramer is "Kessler" and also I think he knocks before entering

Think of your job where what seems like the most obvious basic poo poo somehow doesn’t get communicated and causes a problem and then realize all jobs are the same way

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Neil Patrick Harris could probably play Timothy McVeigh and have everyone love him.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

Neil Patrick Harris could probably play Timothy McVeigh and have everyone love him.

Especially in today's political climate. Have you seen the people who watch TV?

Highest rated Late show on the most watched network is Gutfeld on Fox News.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i thought Gutfeld 's show got cancel.

or was that another """"""comedy"""""/Daily Show ripoff spinoff and he has his own main poo poo. Also if he's so popular how I havent heard of Gutfeld before his canceled show?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PhazonLink posted:

i thought Gutfeld 's show got cancel.

or was that another """"""comedy"""""/Daily Show ripoff spinoff and he has his own main poo poo. Also if he's so popular how I havent heard of Gutfeld before his canceled show?

There is a helpful informative thread here
:nms:

I'd never heard of it before that either.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

christmas boots posted:

The showrunners have said his role in Harold & Kumar why they wanted him for the role and how they got the network to sign off on a former child star.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m pretty sure there’s at least one episode where Ted or some other character is mad at Barney because he does something bad like sleep with a family member or friend using manipulative tactics, and their response is “I didn’t think you would do that in a way that would affect me”

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FreudianSlippers posted:

They made a movie out of derf's graphic novel about his time in high school being friends with Jeffrey Dahmer, we could have put this to the test!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobjr posted:

I’m pretty sure there’s at least one episode where Ted or some other character is mad at Barney because he does something bad like sleep with a family member or friend using manipulative tactics, and their response is “I didn’t think you would do that in a way that would affect me”

Barney aggressively hits in Ted‘s sister and mother and it is heavily implied that he slept with both.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I feel like the only person reading this thread that didn't watch HIMYM.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone watches shows that they just can’t stand

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Spacebump posted:

I've never watched it either.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah me neither, it seemed weinery

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
MHIMYM was an extremely popular sitcom and with Big Bang theory feels like the last of those types of sitcoms

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Spacebump posted:

I watched a couple of seasons based on friend recommendations and Neil Patrick Harris.

The gang quickly went down to Always Sunny level but the show wasn't positioned to view them like that, so they kept coming out on top and it was so miserable I dropped it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I’m trying to see differences between Dennis and Barney (based on old memories, haven’t seen the show in forever), and that list is coming up short :stonklol:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

MHIMYM was an extremely popular sitcom and with Big Bang theory feels like the last of those types of sitcoms

I think TV will still have its niche till netflix and other streaming services re invent the wheel / their own programming depts.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea I’m trying to see differences between Dennis and Barney (based on old memories, haven’t seen the show in forever), and that list is coming up short :stonklol:
Dennis is more honest a portrayal of a sociopath.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Is NPH really that much of a selling point? It’s pretty surprising as someone who’s only ever seen him in Starship Troopers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chglcu posted:

Is NPH really that much of a selling point? It’s pretty surprising as someone who’s only ever seen him in Starship Troopers.

At the time? Not really.

Barney made NPH more than anything

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

chglcu posted:

He had some recognition with boomers/Gen X due to Howser, GenX/Millenials with Harold and Kumar, and is a very, very pretty man.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Speaking of Harold and Kumar, I tried to watch it again and didn't make it fifteen minutes

Not because it was offensive or anything, just not funny

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

chglcu posted:

Depends on your interests. I very much grew up on Doogie Howser so, to me, he was kind of my childhood idol.

But, if you were a theater buff, he was a Very Big Deal even before HIMYM.

And, Harold and Kumar was a launching point for several careers.

It's like how right now, you could convince me to watch Shohreh Aghdashloo (The Expanse) read the phone book. She's no mega-star by any means, but if I really enjoy an example of someone's work, I'll go out of my way to see what else they do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It should be said How debuted a little over a year after Harold and Kumar so that was more than likely not a huge factor.

Also according to Wikipedia Barney was supposed to be a John Belushi type character.

Until PH nailed the audition.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Toshimo posted:

Depends on your interests. I very much grew up on Doogie Howser so, to me, he was kind of my childhood idol.

It's like how right now, you could convince me to watch Shohreh Aghdashloo (The Expanse) read the phone book. She's no mega-star by any means, but if I really enjoy an example of someone's work, I'll go out of my way to see what else they do.

This is how I find a lot of new stuff to watch. I'll find an actor I like and give anything they were in a try. You find all sorts of stuff that way.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Toshimo posted:

Ah, I guess that explains how I missed him. I was just a bit to young for Doogie Howser and can’t stand theater or stoner comedy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not a huge stoner comedy guy, but the first H&K is loving amazing. It's way smarter than you'd think, and there's so many clever subversions of tropes.

Observe the twist on this standard "character has fantasy" scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-t-addfa24&hd=1

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

rydiafan posted:

I'm not a huge stoner comedy guy, but the first H&K is loving amazing. It's way smarter than you'd think, and there's so many clever subversions of tropes.

Observe the twist on this standard "character has fantasy" scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-t-addfa24&hd=1

I also enjoy the first H&K. Scenes with the dumb extreme guys were great.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

The best part of that film was Christopher Meloni.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
chris meloni is the best part of a lot of things, dude's really underrated

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

flatluigi posted:

chris meloni is the best part of a lot of things, dude's really underrated
I respect any actor that's like "yeah, I'll put my butthole on HBO"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

HopperUK posted:

This is how I find a lot of new stuff to watch. I'll find an actor I like and give anything they were in a try. You find all sorts of stuff that way.
This is how I originally discovered that Seth Bullock had a great-grand son that was also a marshal and, more recently, some kind of far far away nephew who was a space-marshal. And they're all great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Whenever something reminds us that Dennis is a hosed up man who had a hosed up life and is also a hosed up rapist we're supposed to go ewwww but that's still absolutely no excuse for being a hosed up rapist while whenever something reminds us that Barney is a hosed up man who had a relatively good life that somehow led him to being a hosed up rapist we're supposed to go awwww, he's just a little sweetheart, let the man have everything he wants in life.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

HIMYM was a tremendously bad show from basically every aspect, like I think we’re losing in all the “the main characters are monstrous garbage” chat the fact that the last two seasons (IIRC) covered a period of time of like three loving days

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bobjr posted:

There's a brief falling out between Ted and Barney when Barney sleeps with Robin and Ted thinks he was just using her for a quick lay as he does every other woman (I don't know if he outright says what you quoted, but the sentiment is there).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rockman Reserve posted:

HIMYM was a tremendously bad show from basically every aspect, like I think we’re losing in all the “the main characters are monstrous garbage” chat the fact that the last two seasons (IIRC) covered a period of time of like three loving days

Just the last season, but it was a split season. The end of Season 8 was Ted and The Mother getting on a train to go to Barney and Robin's wedding.

Late HIMYM did some cool stuff, but it was basically a test to see if you can gently caress over 9 seasons of decent goodwill in one two-part finale, and much like Avatar and Game of Thrones, has basically vanished from the zeitgeist of the area it once dominated.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah the big criticism of the final season of HIMYM besides the fact that it sucked balls and contradicted itself within itself (I mean remember how Ted completely and unequivocally let go of Robin and allowed himself to move on like three times in one season) was also that it dedicates 20 odd episodes to the group's one weekend and 15 minutes to the rest of their lives and killed the mother and had Ted get back with Robin like it was no thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the last season had so much time compression i thought laguna and squall were going to show up