Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Nirvikalpa posted:

If I'm going to be working a job that's designed to be completely remote, what should I put for the location section on my resume? Should I just leave it blank?

I still put my city, but I also have a little section on my resume saying that I have a dedicated home office space and FTTP internet. I live somewhere regional where internet can be a bit dodgy, so I include it so any remote roles I apply for don't screen me out due to my location. It's probably not needed but it can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: got the job. 16% raise over what I was making before even factoring in overtime. Scrubbing the rest just in case

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 27, 2021

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think I wasn't being clear, sorry! On my resume I have something like

[Organization] [City]

For my new remote job, when I add it to my resume, should it be?

[Organization] [My current city]
[Organization] [Remote]
[Organization] Blank

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nirvikalpa posted:

I think I wasn't being clear, sorry! On my resume I have something like

[Organization] [City]

For my new remote job, when I add it to my resume, should it be?

[Organization] [My current city]
[Organization] [Remote]
[Organization] Blank

It doesnt matter what city your prev jobs was in, only your current city. You don't need to indicate if a job was remote, in fact I'd suggest leaving it off.

Oxxidation posted:

e: got the job. 16% raise over what I was making before even factoring in overtime. Scrubbing the rest just in case

Nice! W2G!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Tomorrow I'm interviewing for a management job in a position that's had 4 different managers in 5 years (and the only reason one of them was there for more than one year was due to over a year of maternity leave). The two people interviewing me are basically only going to care about one thing and one thing only: am I going to do their jobs for them (instead of the position I'm actually interviewing for). Most the other previous managers ended up doing those two's jobs and rapidly chose to leave. So how do I get across that if I get the position I will be doing that job, and not the job above that they should be doing? Without totally ruining my chances, I mean...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You seem to have a lot of information and know it's a loser.

So don't take the job? Or take it for your resume and immediately start looking?

I don't think you're going to succeed in redefining that setup unless you've got some unique advantage none of your predecessors had.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xguard86 posted:

You seem to have a lot of information and know it's a loser.

So don't take the job? Or take it for your resume and immediately start looking?

I don't think you're going to succeed in redefining that setup unless you've got some unique advantage none of your predecessors had.

Agree with this here. Sounds like this is a sinking ship and if their bosses don't care (seems they don't) then you are not going to change anything.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's an accurate assessment. One of the interviewers handed in his own notice last week, so he's off the ship at least. At least by going for the job I'd have better control over the situations (many of which are there due to the other interviewer - though they mean well). Maybe I should just go for it for the CV boost. Ah well, worst case I just don't take the job if I do get offered!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Let me flip it another way: what are you going to get out of this job? It's it a career booster or are you trying to avoid homelessness? Knowing what you want out of it helps because right now I don't see why you'd want a job like this.

I mean, keep in mind all this stuff is what's coming through their best filter. Jobs are always worse than they seem in an interview.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Debating pinging an internal recruiter about what’s going on with the status of my application, it has been a week since my last interview of the 2nd round loop. I know they had other candidates but not how many. At this point I just want to find out one way or the other (entire process has been almost 2 months now).

The interviews went really well I felt but it would really be if there was a stronger candidate experience wise and personality fit at this point I would think.

Just a quick “hey just checking in, how goes with the process?” Email a good idea at this point?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lockback posted:

Let me flip it another way: what are you going to get out of this job? It's it a career booster or are you trying to avoid homelessness? Knowing what you want out of it helps because right now I don't see why you'd want a job like this.

I mean, keep in mind all this stuff is what's coming through their best filter. Jobs are always worse than they seem in an interview.

this is a good post

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

+1

priznat posted:

Debating pinging an internal recruiter about what’s going on with the status of my application, it has been a week since my last interview of the 2nd round loop. I know they had other candidates but not how many. At this point I just want to find out one way or the other (entire process has been almost 2 months now).

The interviews went really well I felt but it would really be if there was a stronger candidate experience wise and personality fit at this point I would think.

Just a quick “hey just checking in, how goes with the process?” Email a good idea at this point?

A week isn't that long. If you dont have other interviews closing then I'd wait 2 weeks and instead try to get some other offers or interviews in as a BATNA/backup if possible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

+1

A week isn't that long. If you dont have other interviews closing then I'd wait 2 weeks and instead try to get some other offers or interviews in as a BATNA/backup if possible.

Good call, I do have a couple other applications out and another job interview session that finished the day after this one, so hopefully have some options! Plus overall not desperate to move as current job is stable (just a lot of people are leaving and it is getting a bit worrying)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

Good call, I do have a couple other applications out and another job interview session that finished the day after this one, so hopefully have some options! Plus overall not desperate to move as current job is stable (just a lot of people are leaving and it is getting a bit worrying)

👍np. Just as an example, I'd be an essential person at my tiny company to an offer. I am on vacation today, tomorrow, Friday and all next week. Except for a computer toucher, everyone can wait until I get back. Computer touchers you can't wait 2 weeks on and be highly competitive.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lol like 3 years ago we passed around this presentation about software developers being the new oil. For laughs and eye rolls. This was at a software company, just like one not that high on it's own farts.

Well here we are in 2021 and uhmm yah. gently caress.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Big ask but does anyone here have experience with academic staff or public museum resumes (or just experience with resumes in general) and could take a quick look at mine? I'd post it but it would be hard to anonymize and I really cant afford to link myself to SA. Desperately need to get out of my helljob. Thanks so much!

An a more general note are there good go-to resume format templates people use? I've looked around but didn't have much luck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kind of a weird thing, I had interviewed with aws for a HW development job that was basically root causing issues on the systems - something I have had a lot of experience with. It was the STAR interview stuff and I went thru several of the issues I’d dealt with and ensuring to talk about it from the various stages..

They got back to me and they’re not continuing with the process (which is fine) but they wanted me to interview for a software development position, something I have no real experience in doing and have nothing like that on my resume apart from some low level diagnostic and scripting stuff. Is that normal? I said no that’s alright thanks.

I had my concerns both with the work I’d be doing not being my thing (it didn’t really line up with the job posting) and the company as a whole so I was really just doing it out of curiosity.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
If I'm looking for a remote job, is it worth applying for jobs in other cities if they don't say remote? I see plenty of job posting that will list cities in six different states, but they don't explicitly say remote/telecommute.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pekinduck posted:

Big ask but does anyone here have experience with academic staff or public museum resumes (or just experience with resumes in general) and could take a quick look at mine? I'd post it but it would be hard to anonymize and I really cant afford to link myself to SA. Desperately need to get out of my helljob. Thanks so much!

An a more general note are there good go-to resume format templates people use? I've looked around but didn't have much luck.

I have experience with this.

What type of position are you applying for - a curator? A docent? What type of museum? Is this a grant reliant position? A foundation? Are you applying work at a university? Public? Private? Depending on the answer it could be what you need is a CV, not a resume.

(Have you worked in a museum before? Because I can tell you museums are notoriously bad places to work, and every person I know who has worked in one has either transitioned into real academia or into a new field.)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What is this bs? I have to take a CCAT test for a job?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

priznat posted:

Kind of a weird thing, I had interviewed with aws for a HW development job that was basically root causing issues on the systems - something I have had a lot of experience with. It was the STAR interview stuff and I went thru several of the issues I’d dealt with and ensuring to talk about it from the various stages..

They got back to me and they’re not continuing with the process (which is fine) but they wanted me to interview for a software development position, something I have no real experience in doing and have nothing like that on my resume apart from some low level diagnostic and scripting stuff. Is that normal? I said no that’s alright thanks.

I had my concerns both with the work I’d be doing not being my thing (it didn’t really line up with the job posting) and the company as a whole so I was really just doing it out of curiosity.

Can you send them my way? :) I don't have a lot of AWS street cred yet but it's on my list, and when I'm in the market next I will definitely be doing the job app rounds with them.

Everybody and their mother is doing cloud certs right now so I hope the market is not saturated / back to equilibrium by the time I get off my butt.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Upgrade posted:

I have experience with this.

What type of position are you applying for - a curator? A docent? What type of museum? Is this a grant reliant position? A foundation? Are you applying work at a university? Public? Private? Depending on the answer it could be what you need is a CV, not a resume.

Curator or curators' assistant type jobs, zoological. I've sort of specialized in mammal/bird taxidermy. I don't have a specific position in mind, I've been applying to whatever comes up but would prefer something permanent. So far I have only needed a resume but a CV might be a good idea.

Upgrade posted:

(Have you worked in a museum before?

Seven years to the present.

Upgrade posted:

Because I can tell you museums are notoriously bad places to work

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I'm well aware, sweet mother of gently caress I'm aware. Thanks for warning the potentially inexperienced though. Do you have PMs? Really appreciate any advice.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

Curator or curators' assistant type jobs, zoological. I've sort of specialized in mammal/bird taxidermy. I don't have a specific position in mind, I've been applying to whatever comes up but would prefer something permanent. So far I have only needed a resume but a CV might be a good idea.

Seven years to the present.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I'm well aware, sweet mother of gently caress I'm aware. Thanks for warning the potentially inexperienced though. Do you have PMs? Really appreciate any advice.

Why are museums so bad to work for?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

Why are museums so bad to work for?

The pay is terrible, 95% of museums are one bad fundraising quarter away from closing their doors (and the other 5% are impossible to get jobs in because there are a ton of wealthy retired people who are happy to do the work for free because they love art and history!), everyone is overeducated, etc. - its like a terrible high school where you make $12/hr despite having an MA and 175k in debt.

I do have PMs!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

What is this bs? I have to take a CCAT test for a job?

:lol: ya sometimes! I had to take one once so far. It was a joke and was apparently useless (as well as their entire interview process) since an incredibly unqualified person was hired for our team.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Deadite posted:

If I'm looking for a remote job, is it worth applying for jobs in other cities if they don't say remote? I see plenty of job posting that will list cities in six different states, but they don't explicitly say remote/telecommute.

You could check if any other job listings for the company are remote. That would at least suggest remote is acceptable in the company.

I explicitly looked for positions that were remote, companies that embraced remote, or companies where some jobs were listed as remote. In the last case I was pretty up front on any initial phone screen to confirm remote was cool. One company very specifically said "No, but we can't find anyone qualified, we might change the requirements, and we'll put you on the list".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had 6 hours of interviews yesterday at a company with like 6 different people and 4 different assessments and the branch manager told me "We should have an offer out by Friday" so I guess I have the job if I want it?

It was a very weird experience since I haven't done a "real" interview in close to 20 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
He didn't say there would be an offer out to you by Friday, right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

He didn't say there would be an offer out to you by Friday, right?

He did actually. He said "Here's what's gonna happen, I'm gonna have HR check the references and due diligence and then we should have an offer out to you by Friday".

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

In that case, he didn't specify WHICH Friday. Could be in a few days. Could be four Friday's from now

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Deadite posted:

I mean, I think most of the time if it doesn't say remote or "USA" it means it's not but applying is usually pretty easy. Just don't hide that you're looking for a remote role.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Interview the other day went pretty well, I imagine if I get offered the promotion I'll be back asking about tips for negotiating a better wage in a few days as I'm sure they'll try to lowball me.

The usual 5 year question came up and, in a job that has seen managers come and go regularly, knowing my interviewer, the worst possible answer I could have given would have been to say that I plan to stay in the position long term and give the lab some stability. Instead I suggested some other higher-up or cross-functional roles that I could see myself moving into in a nonspecific amount of time, and they loved that. Can't be seen to be stagnant.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is it pretty normal for large companies (FAANG, etc) to have their interview "loop" and if you are not selected for that particular one it carries over to other positions with the company? I just had an incredibly precursory chat with the hiring manager for another job with the same organization and it sounds like they are going to send out an offer and it's weird. I was expecting to get a technical interview and it felt really weird because I was going through some details on what I've done but it seemed very unnecessary.

Well we'll see what the offer is like at least.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah large places with steady growth and strong balance sheets will often just hire generically if they like the candidate or pass your app around to everyone once you've cleared whatever criteria they set.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Linkedin thread is super dead, so I was wondering if anyone here knew. Is it possible to block certain companies from showing up in job results? In my industry there are at least a couple companies that are just shy of scams that plaster their jobs all over every single region, sometimes multiple times, and since I'm looking for remote jobs I see every single instance of them. I tend to just scroll by but if it's possible to blacklist them then that saves a bit of time.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

Lockback posted:

helpful words

CarForumPoster posted:

helpful words

If you two are still around, I'm back with a second draft. Thanks an huge amount for these extremely helpful words.
I've had to readjust how titles and chronology are displayed a little, hopefully it's not too confusing. My goals were to show big wins per company right at the top, while also showing a progression of roles and projects like a bunch of the feedback from you guys.

Super open to anyone hopping in with more feedback on this!
https://i.imgur.com/XT9jz54.png

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Phraggah posted:

If you two are still around, I'm back with a second draft. Thanks an huge amount for these extremely helpful words.
I've had to readjust how titles and chronology are displayed a little, hopefully it's not too confusing. My goals were to show big wins per company right at the top, while also showing a progression of roles and projects like a bunch of the feedback from you guys.

Super open to anyone hopping in with more feedback on this!
https://i.imgur.com/XT9jz54.png

"Worked with business stakeholders to define requirements outside the deeply technical" what does the italicized part mean?

Don't say "Worked frequently with blah" say "Role required blah" or something more assertive.

"Successfully launched the an addition to our backend that added support for"....is a lot of words. "Launched backend support of.." is better. Actually that whole section is kind of word salad. Don't say "Some JS", its either Javascript or it's not. "Lead to rethinking of company workflow" sounds weird and weasel-wordy. "Improvements deployed company-wide"? maybe?

For Key Skills don't say "Some PHP". If you can answer PHP questions list it. If you can't remove it.

What's your BA in? It is pretty glaring that you don't mention. I'd usually lean toward including it.

It's better for sure though. I think it flowed reasonably well. What job are you looking for next?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Phraggah posted:

I'm back with a second draft.

Reiterating that your resume is decent, but optimization might get you a better BATNA.

Quick thoughts:
-Put months on your resume unless you have 6+ month gaps due to being fired.
-your first bullet doesn’t lead on the strongest point. The strongest point is the one with the most business impact. Idk the business impact of “libraries and unit test frameworks” and if a half-dozen of them is any good.
-“outside the deeply technical” is unclear. Suggest something like: “Worked with business stakeholders to break down business needs into technical and functional requirements.”
-you make a mistake I make often, burying the lead. Instead say: “I often bury the lead.” An example of this is adding regional support. Internationalization is a critical growth tactic, so lead with the internationalization, not with backend services.
-your keyword stuffing is good and the way it’s present seems credible
-you seem like a competent computer toucher with EHR experience which is impossible. Maybe why you don’t do that anymore.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

For Key Skills don't say "Some PHP". If you can answer PHP questions list it. If you can't remove it.

I kinda like that they’re honest about it, it gives credibility to the other things. If I was hiring for PHP I’d think maybe not but for the other stuff, I’d believe them more. This might be a hot take tho.

Lockback posted:

What's your BA in? It is pretty glaring that you don't mention. I'd usually lean toward including it.

Yea agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

I kinda like that they’re honest about it, it gives credibility to the other things. If I was hiring for PHP I’d think maybe not but for the other stuff, I’d believe them more. This might be a hot take tho.

I like mentioning it in descriptions but not in "Key Skills". Or have a section for skills that you have exposure to but not proficiency, though I think he might be beyond that.

That might be the kind of thing where it's a split if hiring managers like to see it or not. It's just 1 so its probably fine, and you're right it does prop up everything else a bit. I've seen resumes where the skill section is a bunch of "Some of this" "exposure to that" "medium proficiency this", and that just blows.

Also v.good call on not burying the lede. I 100% do that as well, and a little reorganization would go a long way to making it pop.