Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't gotten to play that game yet but it looked eerily similar to another Metroidvania that I did really enjoy, Vigil: The Longest Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I would put Ender Lilies below Vigil but still liked it a lot.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ninjewtsu posted:

What srpgs are there where the combat is good and fun and don't depend on you tediously engineering every fight around making sure the correct characters get the correct kills so you don't get screwed over by xp distribution?

Played tactics ogre and fft, both games are decent but I wish the combat had a bit more to them. Not a big fan of the xcom type "sometimes you miss 20 times in a row and if you get hit twice your dude permanently dies" kinda thing but if that's my only option so be it

The Shining Force games are way less fiddly than tactics ogre/ogre battle/fft/fire emblem on that front although they're genesis/sega-cd (remakes exist for SF1 on gba, maybe others elsewhere?) and pretty easy overall. Still, they're solid SRPGs that don't really care who you level or how.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
What are some good Genesis/SNES/DS/PS1 JRPG/SRPGs to mindlessly grind in? I like to play while watching sports, so story doesn't matter in the slightest, just wanna watch them numbers go up.

Edit: that might be a little vague so Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 have been very good for this.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 27, 2021

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
my first accidental quote instead of edit :qq:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Disgaea. You can skip the story if you want, and it's basically a grinding simulator.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

loopsheloop posted:

What are some good Genesis/SNES/DS/PS1 JRPG/SRPGs to mindlessly grind in? I like to play while watching sports, so story doesn't matter in the slightest, just wanna watch them numbers go up.

Edit: that might be a little vague so Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 have been very good for this.

If you aren't totally focused on JRPGs semi-idle games like Loop Hero come to mind, or any idle game really, numbers going up is literally all most of them are

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

loopsheloop posted:

if you want a grindy 16-bit jrpg I cannot recommend Genesis Shadowrun enough. The main criticism of it is that it is super grindy; you basically have to spend hours and hours doing courier missions for karma and ghoul hunts for money in the early stages of the game and it doesn't let up after for all that hacking makes you way more money.

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

Galick posted:

Anyone know any good Kerbal-like games that aren't Kerbal? Building things, testing them, preferably actually difficult and requiring thought to put together instead of a puzzle game!

Trailmakers: build better vehicles so you can access more vehicle parts to make better vehicles.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
What are some good games to play with your partner? We already played It Takes Two and loved it.

There's a lot of caveats which make finding a game for her pretty challenging. She is not really a gamer beyond hundreds of hours in Sims 4 and Animal Crossing, and the boss battles and some of the platforming in ITT already pushed her limits of what she can achieve with a controller. Still, she has expressed a desire to play another game with me. However, she gets motion sickness very easily from first person games and having to manually control the camera in 3rd person games.

Overcooked 2 and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime were too stressful for her to enjoy. She doesn't enjoy losing and/or even feeling inadequate.

With that in mind, is A Way Out from the ITT team any good? How is that difficulty-wise?

Ideally I think she'd like something chill and/or cute, maybe with a bit of base building thrown in. I already suggested Stardew Valley but on top of everything else, she's allergic to pixel art and couldn't get into it. I don't think she'd be into minecraft either.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is on a lot of lists (and on sale right now). I played the first one ages ago and really liked the tactical combat, but I found the story bad to the point of embarrassing. How's the second one in that regard?

If you have any other ideas, please let me know, thanks!
We have all platforms covered between switch, ps4 and pc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D:OS2 has a kinda whatever main story but very entertaining character and NPC interactions. I think you have to be tuned into Larian's particular sense of humor though, like do you find convincing a dog about the futility of life to be needlessly cruel or wickedly funny.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Are you suggesting that your girlfriend play D:OS 2 alone or kind of play it together with you? Either way, not sure it's the best choice but her playing it alone seems totally doomed to me.

I'm a little unclear at whether you are looking for pure co-op games or something that she can play herself.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Oenis posted:

What are some good games to play with your partner? We already played It Takes Two and loved it.

- Stardew Valley (though I forget if any platforms have split-screen support)
- Mario Odyssey (one of you controls the hat)
- Streets of Rage 4 (the gameplay and the controls are super simple)
- Shovel Knight (the Shovel of Hope campaign has co-op)
- N++ (can be kind of a trainwreck, but it's great)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

While Cook, Serve, Delicious 3 has the same sort of frantic gameplay that Overcooked does, you can't lose. You just don't make as much money. Might be worth a shot.

It also allows you to focus on only tasks you're good at or want to do, if thats something that would appeal better. Like if one of you doesn't like making a certain food, you can leave that to your partner entirely, or just change up the menu

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Oenis posted:

What are some good games to play with your partner?

The LEGO games are pretty great for this.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Play posted:

Are you suggesting that your girlfriend play D:OS 2 alone or kind of play it together with you? Either way, not sure it's the best choice but her playing it alone seems totally doomed to me.

I'm a little unclear at whether you are looking for pure co-op games or something that she can play herself.

We're looking for a game to play together, sorry I didn't make that clear enough in the first sentence. So yeah, co-op games is what I'm looking for.

I think we're going to try A Way Out for now and see how it goes.

(Divinity OS2 was rejected after she looked at gameplay footage and deemed it to "game-y")

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Oenis posted:

Very Very Valet is couch chaos like overcooked, but easier and with almost no reliance on planning.

Phogs is available on gamepass if you have it

Moving Out is probably too stressful like overcooked, but might be worth looking into, especially after y'all get more experience.

Snipperclips and Heave Ho should be fine for a while, but eventually they get pretty hard.

Biped might be too game-y

Human Fall Flat and Good Job! are both coop games that don't need cooperation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

• Snipperclips
  • Brothers (a lot of people play this sharing a controller)
  • Octodad (frustrating, but no real time pressure most of the time)
  • Most Kirby games are very chill and have co-op
  • Most of the Lego games, especially if you're a fan of any of the source material it's working with
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Portal 2 (this one I think has the most danger of motion sickness)
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail (depends how either of you feel about gore)
  • Out of Space
  • Unravel Two
  • Ibb and Obb
  • Journey (but it's hard to make sure to connect with the specific person you want)
  • Astroneer (which if you're both into that sort of exploration and crafting gameplay, there's a bunch of other games to get into, but Astroneer is the calmest and cutest)
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Oenis posted:

There's a lot of caveats which make finding a game for her pretty challenging. She is not really a gamer beyond hundreds of hours in Sims 4 and Animal Crossing, and the boss battles and some of the platforming in ITT already pushed her limits of what she can achieve with a controller. Still, she has expressed a desire to play another game with me. However, she gets motion sickness very easily from first person games and having to manually control the camera in 3rd person games.

Overcooked 2 and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime were too stressful for her to enjoy. She doesn't enjoy losing and/or even feeling inadequate.

With that in mind, is A Way Out from the ITT team any good? How is that difficulty-wise?

Ideally I think she'd like something chill and/or cute, maybe with a bit of base building thrown in. I already suggested Stardew Valley but on top of everything else, she's allergic to pixel art and couldn't get into it. I don't think she'd be into minecraft either.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is on a lot of lists (and on sale right now). I played the first one ages ago and really liked the tactical combat, but I found the story bad to the point of embarrassing. How's the second one in that regard?

We've had good success doing Telltale games together. My wife makes all the decisions and I use the controller and do QTEs when they come up. She's really into wolves as a concept so Wolf Among Us was an easy sell and she was already a huge Walking Dead fan. I had to really push to get her to try Tales from the Borderlands but after about 10 minutes she started loving it. We'll probably do Batman next.

We also really like Diablo 3 on Switch. Neither of us are real big on the whole min-max endgame loot grind stuff but it's great for just chilling and mindlessly murdering things for an evening.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Oenis posted:

Lovers in a dangerous space time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chainchompz posted:

Lovers in a dangerous space time.

From the same post you quoted:

Oenis posted:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Oenis posted:

Spiritfarer is a chill platforming and base building game where you are a woman and her cat controlling death’s boat that is used to ferry souls. You do missions on islands to find supplies to build a perfect boat for spirits you find, based on their preferences.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

On that note, I've been meaning to make this post and just never did...

For long-time gamers, are there any good suggestions for 2-player co-op that won't leave one player feeling left behind? My game partner and I play a lot of shooters/roguelikes and some MMO stuff, but it always ends up with one of us well ahead of the other, usually with me well behind, and I'm trying to figure out something that won't leave those inadequacy feelings going.
No particular order of what we already play or have played, to give ideas:
  • Gunfire Reborn is our usual fallback here and what's sparking the post; she ends up north of 5x the damage and kills of me, even intentionally trying to slow down. Other roguelites like Risk of Rain 2 and SYNTHETIK hit difficulty walls.
  • We enjoyed A Way Out. We were enjoying It Takes Two but now that we're in the clock tower level the game crashes her PC after 15 minutes or so of playing due to unknown hardware faults. Can't continue on that.
  • Divinity 2, we stopped when Act 2 had its weird unpredictable beef gates we couldn't figure out, and it's been "eventually we'll go back to it" for longer than the pandemic.
  • We used to play coop modded Minecraft, that got killed by another player who was part of our group, but I've vaguely eyed it to go back to. I have unpleasant tendencies I'll admit with these optimizer-brain games where I don't like people doing work "for me" so it would more likely end up "separately playing together".
  • Horde shooters (Payday, indirectly Vermintide, etc) land well and also let us include a third friend, but I think Payday is burnt out on. Revisiting Vermintide but I'd like more than one game to go to.
  • Looter shooters... depend. Borderlands up to TPS went well. 3 was a miss but I think it's a miss for everyone. Destiny 2, she had the same feelings I've expressed of "not contributing" so it didn't go over well.
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail was painfully boring.
  • We've seen everything Stardew Valley has to offer, and I've played Staxel solo and found it to just be "the same but worse and less".

I'm not very good at shooters or other "fine motor control and reflexes needed" games, but I play them anyway so that's not a disqualifier. I don't own a controller (she does) and both of us are on PC. Something a bit slower and gentler would be nice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Check out Valheim. It's a very serene and chill game about building a viking fort and gradually increasing your gear and tech level to tackle tougher monsters.

There is also the new Aliens l4d style game, and Back4Blood soon

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SkyeAuroline posted:

For long-time gamers, are there any good suggestions for 2-player co-op that won't leave one player feeling left behind? My game partner and I play a lot of shooters/roguelikes and some MMO stuff, but it always ends up with one of us well ahead of the other, usually with me well behind, and I'm trying to figure out something that won't leave those inadequacy feelings going.
  • Gunfire Reborn is our usual fallback here and what's sparking the post; she ends up north of 5x the damage and kills of me, even intentionally trying to slow down. Other roguelites like Risk of Rain 2 and SYNTHETIK hit difficulty walls.
  • We enjoyed A Way Out. We were enjoying It Takes Two but now that we're in the clock tower level the game crashes her PC after 15 minutes or so of playing due to unknown hardware faults. Can't continue on that.
  • Divinity 2, we stopped when Act 2 had its weird unpredictable beef gates we couldn't figure out, and it's been "eventually we'll go back to it" for longer than the pandemic.
  • We used to play coop modded Minecraft, that got killed by another player who was part of our group, but I've vaguely eyed it to go back to. I have unpleasant tendencies I'll admit with these optimizer-brain games where I don't like people doing work "for me" so it would more likely end up "separately playing together".
  • Horde shooters (Payday, indirectly Vermintide, etc) land well and also let us include a third friend, but I think Payday is burnt out on. Revisiting Vermintide but I'd like more than one game to go to.
  • Looter shooters... depend. Borderlands up to TPS went well. 3 was a miss but I think it's a miss for everyone. Destiny 2, she had the same feelings I've expressed of "not contributing" so it didn't go over well.
  • We've seen everything Stardew Valley has to offer, and I've played Staxel solo and found it to just be "the same but worse and less".

I'm not very good at shooters or other "fine motor control and reflexes needed" games, but I play them anyway so that's not a disqualifier. I don't own a controller (she does) and both of us are on PC. Something a bit slower and gentler would be nice.

The Forest co-op is AMAZING and solving it together was a big hoot for me and my pal

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

[*] Horde shooters (Payday, indirectly Vermintide, etc) land well and also let us include a third friend, but I think Payday is burnt out on. Revisiting Vermintide but I'd like more than one game to go to.

check out deep rock galactic

also maybe consider the we were here series?

the master chief collection is some good halo multiplayer. if someone dies the other person needs to just run backwards until the respawn happens, as long as you don't both die at the same time you can mess around pretty good

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

• We did play Valheim. I refunded it. Just didn't click for me, clicked for her though. Another of our friend groups got like, 50+ hours out of it though.
  • I am eyeing the Aliens game since a friend has been posting about it. Haven't heard much of substance about it overall.
  • The Forest, she and a friend had already played quite a bit of. We've given it a couple shots but it's petered out over time each time. A little too aimless, maybe?
  • DRG friends are definitely into, I tried it on a free weekend and didn't pick it up for whatever reason. May have to revisit.
  • Was We Were Here one of the games that had a free weekend too? It looks familiar, may have played the first.
  • We played MCC up to the last level of Halo 2, where we hit a consistently reproducable crash on cutscene every time that 343 still hasn't patched. Stopped right in our tracks there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SkyeAuroline posted:

Astroneer, Anno and Satisfactory are 'we build together' style games.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think Astroneer and Deep Rock Galactic are very good recommendations for both of you/all three of you.

Meanwhile I've been trying to get my girlfriend to play It Takes Two with me for about... 6 months now so I'm a little jealous.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you can get it for cheap, Satellite Reign is an interesting multiplayer game in my opinion. Beatemups in general are also great because they are usually one-shot affairs that can have progression, but even when they do, one player doesn't end up dominating. There are tons of older games that can be picked up for cheap, or you can play them on Fightcade (I recommend this), so you can just sorta mill through a bunch of them without having to worry about cost. Beatemup-adjacent games like Metal Slug are also a blast. There are newer ones like Streets of Rage 4, or you can go back and play classics like Shadow Over Mystara. I find they're great if you want to avoid quarterbacking, which can happen a lot in games like Unraveled 2 where it's puzzle-based and one person can end up really putting forth all the puzzle solutions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Deep Rock Galactic has had a lot of buzz lately. It seems like a neat iteration on the whole Payday style co-op shooter.
  • With Astroneer, if you're stepping on eachothers' toes too much, you can just cooperate while on separate planets and trade resources to keep eachother going, since you'll need multiple bases on multiple planets anyways.
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Brothers
  • I've heard a lot of good things about the Orcs Must Die series
  • Octodad's goofy controls can put both of you on equal footing, and in co-op you definitely need to cooperate and coordinate
  • Overcooked and Out of Space
  • Moving Out
  • Biped
I keep wanting to be able to recommend Affordable Space Adventures, since that's the only real asymmetric co-op game I know of, but that's trapped on the Wii-U

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Deep Rock Galactic has had a lot of buzz lately. It seems like a neat iteration on the whole Payday style co-op shooter.

Nth-ing Deep Rock, I haven't gotten my wife to play it, but it's been a blast with friends. Since you can decide the difficulty level for the missions, it's only as hectic as you want it to be, and with the mining and other support like the engineer's turret there's still plenty to do even if you're not the best shot.

Raft co-op is fun, but a bit stressful on the higher difficulties, at least in the beginning.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

SkyeAuroline posted:

EDF

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Haven is good wife coop

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh, derp.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Oh, also I think someone might've already mentioned Brothers.

But: Brothers!!. Great co-op game, great game period, relaxed gameplay, and a lovely little story.

Also Toodee and Topdee has a nice co-op mode and is a puzzle game that still requires some quick movement at times. And Mighty Goose is a side scrolling retro action game (that is awesome, by the way) where a second player can control the invulnerable helper character which is good for if one person is a bit more skilled and/or into video games than another.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
There is a lack of recommendation for untitled goose game as a chill coop game for the wife. It's so chill and cute even my 3 years old love it

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
If you're looking for a good coop game, I've played a ton of ARK: Survival Evolved solo and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It should be even better in coop. Your damage output is primarily gear-based, and almost all gear is crafted, and all goods are held in common, so as long as you make 2 pistols, 2 sets of armor, etc, no one should feel like they're behind the power curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I’m looking for a good Stardew Valley style game with an emphasis on cooking. For instance, I’ve been keeping my eye on https://store.steampowered.com/app/1647190/World_End_Diner/

I like the idea of automating a food empire, creating meat and veg via automated means to create meals to sell. If anyone has good suggestions I’d love to hear em.