Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I have a friend who loves the way her AirPods fit (resting in the ear but but not sealing) but the battery life keeps her from using them for work. Does anyone know of an around-the-neck style Bluetooth set that has that same sort of earbud fit but a bigass battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have a friend who loves the way her AirPods fit (resting in the ear but but not sealing) but the battery life keeps her from using them for work. Does anyone know of an around-the-neck style Bluetooth set that has that same sort of earbud fit but a bigass battery?

Your friend is the unicorn whos ear those things fit. Almost every other type of head is I can think of uses rubber or foam tips, and thats going to feel different.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Is there any good all in one type dac/amp combos that are any good with usb? the EX5 looks super super good. would it drive hd 650s? i was gonna get a topping dx7 pro but it doesnt play nice with low impedance headphones, and i kinda want something that works great with a wider range of headphones just in case i get something else later.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Is there any good all in one type dac/amp combos that are any good with usb? the EX5 looks super super good. would it drive hd 650s? i was gonna get a topping dx7 pro but it doesnt play nice with low impedance headphones, and i kinda want something that works great with a wider range of headphones just in case i get something else later.

Probably not exactly what youre looking for, but I frequently drive my HD650s with a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Im sure the smaller input versions would work as well.

The other amp I use is a Schiit Magni, but it still line feeds from the 8i6.

I will say, having a ton of audio options with your PC is really cool. Ive done all sorts of mixing from multiple sources both in and out since I started using the Scarlett, and I dont do any audio production.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah pro gear is so ridiculously flexible. I'm long term going to get a MOTU M2 or M4 just to have all the options.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Be careful with the output impedance of pro gear. The Scarlett interfaces have 10ohm jacks which is fine for 300ohm headphones like the HD650 but it will gently caress with anything under 80ohm.

My AD2000 sounded really strange out of the 6i6

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

According to Head-fi: "Usually these types of boxes have crappy headphone amps, while the line outs usually are good and always balanced - which is great. But this one differs having a quite good headphone amplifier, 190mW @ 55 Ohms is a very high output for this type of device. Also, a output impedance of just 0.05 Ohms is good too. Makes it able to drive a wide range of cans, from modern low impedance headphones to classic high impedance cans."

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
My only concern is the output impedance yeah. I want something i can use with a whole spread of gear and not just one set of headphones (except if i somehow end up with more than 300 ohm headphones then i would probably get a dedicated hardware bit for that)

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

mrking posted:

I've got the Earstudio ES100, Qudelix 5k, and the Fiio BTR3k bluetooth receivers. I bought the fiio last, and its the only one that supports apt-x Low Latency. Of the 3 I like the Qudelix the best cause its got insane bluetooth range, usb c, and a button layout I like. ES100 battery is about the same, good coverage (through walls) but not as good as the fiio or the qudelix. I've got the fiio btr paired to a fiio bta30 which is also doing aptx Low Latency, and it now lives on my desk. The latency is very low, I only notice it with speakers and earphones on at the same time. The main problem is when there is lag or something it causes a small pop. It's very distracting if you're just listening to spoken word and I wouldn't want to edit with an occasional pop, but most music or games covers it up fine. If you're just listening to music/audio they are all high quality and drive my HD 6xx okay.

Running a similar setup for low latency (Fiio BTA30 + Fiio BTR5k) I wish the Q5K supported AptX-LL and it'd be perfect, but very happy with the BTR5k. My whole point for this setup is for wireless couch gaming with a ModMic wireless without messing about with lovely gaming headsets.

Not sure if you're connected via Optical or USB, but my Fiio BTA30 was having occasional popping issues, but it turned out to be a defective optical in port and had to be RMA'd. If it's more of a signal issue, you can replace the BTA30's antenna with a cheaper higher gain one or maybe change the position if you're having some sort of interference. Though it might not be the issue altogether if you're only hearing it on the BTR3k's AptX-LL. Though I haven't had any popping issues since the RMA.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Apple does stuff with AAC to bring down the latency but yeah it's still around 8-10 frames at 60hz which sucks. The best you can do with bluetooth is aptx adaptive which will do 80ms, but it's hard to find stuff that supports it and it's still noticeable.
AptX Low Latency supposedly does 40-45ms.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wolrah posted:

AptX Low Latency supposedly does 40-45ms.

i know and they deprecated it for adaptive :cry:

you can still buy aptx-ll stuff but i don't think they're making any new stuff. I use a cheap amazon transmitter to a fiio btr1k in LL mode and it's about a frame and a half, perfectly liveable and i doubt adaptive is much worse. bad optics though.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 30, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe im being stupid but using LDAC I watch videos all the time on my phone and it never ever has any lag... maybe for gaming this matters more. Lips are always in-sync though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah, video lag compensation is built into most devices. it only works for video, nothing interactive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought Tanyas and really like them. That is all.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My Qudelix 5k arrived, it is hilariously tiny. Drives my big headphones to loud enough levels via bluetooth, my Sony MDR-1Rs to louder than I'd ever want but caps out a bit lower in USB DAC mode for whatever reason. I haven't tried the app yet. Roon AACshames me but I bought this partly with the hope that Apple will pull their head out of their rear end on LDAC at some point in the near future.

fake edit: installed the app, it will get plenty loud in DAC mode now.
Real edit: worked plug and play with my iPad via USB C which is a nice surprise, I was expecting some fuckery.

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 1, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

I bought Tanyas and really like them. That is all.

Nice, im going bowling with my pair tonight. Smoooth tunes :D

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm really, really enjoying the thieaudio legacy 3s, they're spectacularly good, but do not pick the clockworks shell. The QDC connector inevitably cracks and falls apart. All the other colors are 2 pin, so they're fine, it's just the clockworks version for some reason.

I got mine used for a good price so I don't mind gluing it back together, but save yourself the hassle and get the blue swirly ones for the same price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Looking at them I always thought the clockworks ones looked like garbage compared to the swirly ones anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OK, several more hours with an amp on and drat do these Elegias sound good. They still feel a bit heavy and the clamp is a bit more than I like but I have no gripes about the tonality, imaging, etc. My only real complaints are the included cord sucks hard [I didn't even get the cool woven one I've seen other people complain about] and replacement pads are almost $200. I checked on a lark and the deal I got is still available, I imagine this is the most I'll ever spend on headphones and I never would have bought these for MSRP but they are definite keepers. Now I just need a stand, anyone got any favorites?

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 1, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Any good budget options for wireless earbuds? Like less than $150 CAD($120 USD)? I've had Anker Soundbud Slims forever but the wires are clearly separating as I only get spotty audio from the right ear. I'm considering Airpods Pro but I'm not sure I can drop $250/CAD right away on something I'll probably lose.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Any good budget options for wireless earbuds? Like less than $150 CAD($120 USD)? I've had Anker Soundbud Slims forever but the wires are clearly separating as I only get spotty audio from the right ear. I'm considering Airpods Pro but I'm not sure I can drop $250/CAD right away on something I'll probably lose.

https://www.costco.ca/klipsch-t5-true-wireless-bluetooth-earphones%2c-black.product.100516212.html

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for some headphones primarily for doing music production mixing (I do have studio monitors too, but am not able to use them that often these days, so I want to be able to get a somewhat decent mix done on headphones before finishing them up on the monitors). So I believe I'm looking for over ear open backs that are as neutral as possible. Currently my budget is around $200 but I could be convinced to raise it a bit (though it sounds like I'd have to raise it a ton to really make a difference). When mixing, these will be plugged into an audio interface (currently a MOTU Ultralite mk3 FireWire, but I'll probably be replacing this within the next year...maybe just with a mk5).

My research has pointed me towards Sennheiser HD 560S (which I believe are 120 Ohms and would require a standalone amp), as it sounds like they are generally considered the best neutral headphone in that price range. I also have another set of Sennheisers that I use for gaming/office (PC 37X) that are comfortable for long periods of time, so I'm aassuming the 560S will probably fit me well too. Are these a solid choice for what I'm looking for, and is there anything else I should give serious consideration too?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have a pair of Hd58X's and a Galaxy s8. The maxed phone volume is a bit too quiet for when I really want to listen to music. Can I get like a $50 amp to help it a little bit more?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

I have a pair of Hd58X's and a Galaxy s8. The maxed phone volume is a bit too quiet for when I really want to listen to music. Can I get like a $50 amp to help it a little bit more?

I dont have this device, but the MEIZU Hifi Pro dongle supposedly has the most power output of all the USB C dongles in that price range, and the review I read said that it had enough power to comfortably drive a pair of HD650 headphones. Might be worth looking into it.

Im not sure if the Apple USB C dongle would have enough power, but its $9 and might get the job done.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I did a review of the Fiio FD5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IBi_N9kZE

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

trem_two posted:

I don’t have this device, but the MEIZU Hifi Pro dongle supposedly has the most power output of all the USB C dongles in that price range, and the review I read said that it had enough power to comfortably drive a pair of HD650 headphones. Might be worth looking into it.

I’m not sure if the Apple USB C dongle would have enough power, but it’s $9 and might get the job done.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check that out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Splinter posted:

I'm looking for some headphones primarily for doing music production mixing
I really liked AKG's cheap monitor headphones like the k240 Mk II, they're semi open and don't need an amp.

VVVV or listen to this person, my last time in a radio station was 2004

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 2, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I would not pay money for a k240 in 2021. K361 is the current cheap akg monitor and is better in every conceivable way.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

qirex posted:

I really liked AKG's cheap monitor headphones like the k240 Mk II, they're semi open and don't need an amp.

VVVV or listen to this person, my last time in a radio station was 2004

The K240 and variants have taken a massive quality dip due to manufacturing shifts. I dug into it the last time this came up.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I would not pay money for a k240 in 2021. K361 is the current cheap akg monitor and is better in every conceivable way.

It looks like the K361/371 are closed back though, which from my understanding isn't going to be ideal from a purely mixing perspective.

Amazon had "rewnewed" sets of HD 560S' for only $140 (down from $200) so I just pulled the trigger on that for now as they have a 90 day no questions return policy and appear to still be eligible for the 2 year Sennheiser warranty.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

The K240 and variants have taken a massive quality dip due to manufacturing shifts. I dug into it the last time this came up.
That's a shame, I used to suggest them to people as a more comfortable alternative to the v6/7506.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Splinter posted:

It looks like the K361/371 are closed back though, which from my understanding isn't going to be ideal from a purely mixing perspective.

Amazon had "rewnewed" sets of HD 560S' for only $140 (down from $200) so I just pulled the trigger on that for now as they have a 90 day no questions return policy and appear to still be eligible for the 2 year Sennheiser warranty.

Yeah, I didn't mean the K361 was better than the 560S, it's definitely not. You did good.

Back in my day we checked our mixes on sony 7506 with flaky rear end earpads and used yamaha NS10s for nearfields, practically anything you buy now will be better than that.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Back in my day we checked our mixes on sony 7506 with flaky rear end earpads and used yamaha NS10s for nearfields, practically anything you buy now will be better than that.

Can someone explain to me why the NS10s were ever popular? Was the state of nearfield monitoring really that bad back then? I have a friend who got talked into buying a pair for his home studio and they are some of the most obnoxiously harsh monitors I've ever heard.

I will, however, still defend old 7506s - I have two, not that I use them every day by any means - so I suppose I do understand a straight nostalgia factor to some degree, or at least a "this is the sound we've been basing decisions on for thirty years, why stop now?" factor.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

strtj posted:

Can someone explain to me why the NS10s were ever popular? Was the state of nearfield monitoring really that bad back then? I have a friend who got talked into buying a pair for his home studio and they are some of the most obnoxiously harsh monitors I've ever heard.

The idea was that if you master your music to sound good on NS10s, it will sound good on anything.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean the K361 was better than the 560S, it's definitely not. You did good.

My current set up was ~15 year old ATH-M45 w/ completely flaked ear pads and mostly flaked headband, so I feel that :lol:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ive had my 1964 v6 Stage for 8 years now. I like their tuning, but I cant open my mouth without losing seal, so its probably time for a refit. Tech has probably come a long way too.

Ive got extremely narrow ear canals. Theyre about the same size as a q-tip head. As far as I know, custom is my only option. Ive never found a universal tip that fits me.

Ive been out of the HeadFi game for a while. Im thinking about doing the 64 legacy discount to get 20% off their A6T ($1040). Anything else I should be looking at instead? I dont really want to spend so much, but I know service is important to good fit.

Im curious if 1964 would be willing to send me their digital scan of my impression so I could try some far-East customs later.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

strtj posted:

I think nearfield monitoring just wasn't as popular, most studios used much bigger soffit-mounted midfields with fabric grilles that don't really look like anything. Everybody had NS-10s too because they were very good at reliably behaving like a crappy common home stereo of the era, same way people use Auratones. Since they would sit on the meter bridge, aren't covered in fabric and had a unique white woofer cone, everyone kind of associated them with "studio sound" even though they were absolutely terrible and nobody's main monitor. Eventually, they were cargo culted into legend status by people who didn't know what they were really used for, and a generation of idiots were stuck with wildly overpriced and terrible monitor speakers.

eddiewalker posted:

Ive been out of the HeadFi game for a while. Im thinking about doing the 64 legacy discount to get 20% off their A6T ($1040). Anything else I should be looking at instead? I dont really want to spend so much, but I know service is important to good fit.

Im curious if 1964 would be willing to send me their digital scan of my impression so I could try some far-East customs later.

You should be able to find an audiologist who will do a digital scan for you these days. Most places (64 included) you can just upload a 3d scan from a web form. 64 audio is still going strong and making great stuff (the u12t is universally loved), but there is SO much more competition at that price point.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got some NS10s to combine with JBLs. I'd call them midrange pushed. In fact they are extremely revealing in terms of mixing. I actually really enjoy their sound as well.

quote:

The idea was that if you master your music to sound good on NS10s, it will sound good on anything.

The other part of this is I review headphones and the NS10 allow me to hear mixes very close to what was intended. Their transient response is very very good.

quote:

everyone kind of associated them with "studio sound" even though they were absolutely terrible and nobody's main monitor.

Yikes, NS10 kicked your dog or something?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 5, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

Yikes, NS10 kicked your dog or something?

No, they're plenty useful, but usually misunderstood. About half the NS10s I've ever seen had toilet paper taped over the tweeter, which doesn't even solve the problem because the woofer has a huge resonant peak at 1700hz. They're great in all sorts of other ways, they're very fast, they don't ring or break up and they'll push a lot of volume. But they're so god drat fatiguing that your teeth hurt after a 2 hour mix session and nobody needs that poo poo. Nearfields shouldn't hurt.

They're good at what they do, but what they do isn't as useful as it used to be and they're ludicrously, hilariously overpriced and overrated as speakers.

e: motherfuckers were doing dissertations about toilet paper on ns10s back in 1986 http://www.bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there is SO much more competition at that price point.

Im open to suggestions. Its hard to navigate through customs since people dont tend to buy multiple pairs, especially in the mid-fi range.

Im just looking at 64 because I dealt with them a long time ago, and 20% off as a returning customer seems tempting. I also hope their pressure valve thing might make them more comfortable on planes.