Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kaal posted:

There's hardly any housing codes that require it and in many buildings there's no real potential for installing ventilation ductwork posthoc. It's all stuff that needs to be reformed, but isn't really getting much attention. I think that studies are starting to really come out against though, as liberal areas have become more critical of the growth of residential fossil gas installations:

Well, hopefully they reform it in ways better than the little watch battery thing they put on my cheap oven burners that keep them from getting hot enough to boil water longer than 2 minutes or fry half a pound of bacon.

For the first time in a while, 2 days ago, I found myself pissed off at whatever government regulator bureaucracy came up with this idea of keeping stoves from getting too hot to fry poo poo and boil things. I felt a slight moment of kinship with all the rednecks that surround me always going on about the government. A lot of them are handy with cars and tools and make their living at it but find it hard to work on poo poo precisely for reasons like this.

Reminds me a little bit of some of the Right to Repair stuff going on but, unlike my Sensi-temp oven saga, very little of that RTR crap seems related to safety in any way at all. No one is going to electrocute themselves or burn their house down jailbreaking an iphone or cracking open a laptop and that horseshit needs to stop. If me and/or my friends can figure it out, gently caress you and your Genius Squad or whatever you're called. I suppose some farmers trying to repair tractors might face some danger but I'd bet more than half of them know how to work on poo poo. They have to.

Intentionally building things that can ONLY be repaired by specific shops and a lot of the proprietary parts foolishness is a real hindrance for the under and middle class. I stopped buying Apple stuff after 2 decades of loyalty because the nearest Apple store is 50 miles away and their products that I bought were making GBS threads the bed with alarming regularity. But I can find someone to fix the laptop I have now just about anywhere and can often do it myself with a little research. I think some of that RTR poo poo leads into the idea I have that seems conspiratorial minded but still makes sense to me where these things are designed to break and, of course, only WE (the manufacturer) can fix it. We'll make sure of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

BiggerBoat posted:

I just more or less need my stove to get hot enough to cook whatever food I'm making and reliably adjust the temperature up or down when I'm doing that. I don't care how it looks or if it comes off as COOL when people come over to look at it and I sure as poo poo don't need a UL regulation protecting me from the idea that heat is HOT and treating me like Ralph WIggum like another poster put up there.

I've always preferred gas burners myself but my house isn't set up for that.

Regulations are written in blood.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh hey, I have a gas cooktop and there was no ventilation when I moved in. I added a hood with carbon filter elements (no holes in outer walls allowed) and open the window when cooking.

Nice to know that I'm poisoning myself.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Motronic posted:

Every study like that I've seen is kinda dubious, and it also applies only to not having appropriate venting. If you have a gas stove you should have a real vent hood that is exhausted to the outside over top of it. And you should use it while cooking. All the time.

Yeah, that's what concerns me, because we unfortunately bought from house flippers who made everything look amazing at the surface level, and some poo poo we've had go wrong due to shoddy worksmanship has already impacted us in other ways. I do have great air filtration so I'm not super worried but I'd prefer even the carbon impact reduction of getting in on a solar program and switching to a high quality electric range and oven. I have a grill outside I can use for higher heat cooking if I need to, and thanks to global warming it's easier and easier to be outside more every year. :shepface:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just want an SMR in my backyard. Is that too much to ask?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's a reason I said clean hydrogen, made from renewable electrolysis or similar. Hydrogen has missed the boat on cars, but given it's easier to adapt gas to it than electrics might still have a place in the green future yet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaal posted:

In order to get cities to commit to the bans on new fossil gas installations you first have to get people on board with the idea that electric appliances are good alternatives.

Unfortunately I've had gas in my parents house and electric in the 10 or so rentals since and the gas so so much better.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HootTheOwl posted:

Unfortunately I've had gas in my parents house and electric in the 10 or so rentals since and the gas so so much better.

One of the great things about induction is that it really is a big step up from both electric and gas in terms of performance. It heats really quickly (it can boil water twice as fast as gas or electric), evenly, and with a large amount of control. It's easy to clean, and really ends up being the best of all worlds. I grew up with gas, I've lived with both electric coils and electric glasstop, and I've used induction several times after my partner's parents bought one. I'd agree that gas has better performance than traditional electric, but induction has really been the best for sure.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kaal posted:

In order to get cities to commit to the bans on new fossil gas installations you first have to get people on board with the idea that electric appliances are good alternatives.

I mean, over here our power is about 90% or more hydroelectric. But it still costs at least double to heat/cook with electricity than to use natural gas.

Also, if more people used electricity for heating, it would exceed the capacity of the hydro plants, and the grid would be supplemented with coal-fired power imported from Washington State. That's arguably worse than using the gas in the first place.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think I seriously need to pick up a Hibachi or a cheap outdoor grill more I think about it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I can buy a replacement grid for my gas grill that lets me nest a wok into it. That's my best bet for getting the wok to a very high temperature in a vented environment.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you want extended high heat that won't turn off suddenly, have you considered buying a Tesla?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, over here our power is about 90% or more hydroelectric. But it still costs at least double to heat/cook with electricity than to use natural gas.

Also, if more people used electricity for heating, it would exceed the capacity of the hydro plants, and the grid would be supplemented with coal-fired power imported from Washington State. That's arguably worse than using the gas in the first place.

So my understanding is that you're in the Vancouver, BC area. That region has huge hydro capacity and lots of untapped wind generation ability. In fact currently they plan to close two fossil gas generation plants because they aren't needed. There is absolutely no reason that they would need to import power from Washington. And even if they did, that power would also be hydro power, or else fossil gas power, because Washington doesn't produce very much coal power. And that's before we get into the difference of scale comparing industrial efficiencies to residential ones. Or we recognize the highly subsidized price of both electricity and fossil gas, or the minor operating costs of running an oven in the first place (BC Hydro estimates it costs less than $5/month to run an oven for an hour every day). So no, those are not realistic limitations.

https://www.bchydro.com/powersmart/residential/tools-and-calculators/cost-calculator.html

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

karthun posted:

Gas is good. All ranges should use gas.

I love using gas for cooking, but the people who owned my house in the mid-fifties put in an electric oven and cooktop because electricity was the ‘wave of the future’ at the time. I think they left the gas lines there, tucked away behind the appliances, so if I can find a decent vintage cooktop and/or stove, I’m going to go back to gas. The good part is they added a modern-type 100amp 220 breaker panel and wiring, so I’m not stuck with 30amps @ 110v worth of glass fuses.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Does no one in the US sell gas kitchens anymore or anything? They are still the majority of new kitchens sold in the UK at least, getting a gas engineer around to check the pipework is probably more expensive.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

california is on the way to totally banning nat gas from new construction

a good chunk of the rental units on the market have no kitchen appliances at all and ban cooking

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've never had a problem with an electric range to be honest (now I have induction). But gas ranges are almost unheard of in Finland and there is no gas pipeline infrastructure except for a select few houses in helsinki, so the only way to use it would be like a gas grill with a bottle.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Oneiros posted:

a good chunk of the rental units on the market have no kitchen appliances at all and ban cooking

How in the gently caress is that legal outside of a college dorm room?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oneiros posted:

Which is ironic since they are wanting to shutter Diablo Canyon and build more Natural Gas plants.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

haha, legal, lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you'll pay $2000+ a month for your illegal adu and you'll shut your loving mouth about it 'cause otherwise you're loving homeless

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

there's no legal right to cook. If you ~~freely agree~~ to sign a contract for a place with no cooking facilities, that's on you, legally.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Oneiros posted:

UK plans on doing this in the next decade too.
While I understand why, I still kinda hate electric stoves. Gas stoves are so much better.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BiggerBoat posted:

Glad to see these replies tbh. I thought I was gonna get dog piled and made fun of for my oven adventure and lack of knowledge about things but it's been the weirdest god damned thing.

Mate, I've lost count of the number of times I've gone and made what I thought was a simple purchase only to have it turn into a nightmare. And I dare say so has everyone else here, too.

Now I won't buy anything unless I can watch at least five youtube videos clearly laying out all the product's features and limitations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Does no one in the US sell gas kitchens anymore or anything? They are still the majority of new kitchens sold in the UK at least, getting a gas engineer around to check the pipework is probably more expensive.

Gas stoves, ovens and dryers are very much available all over the US. I'm suspecting this poster is trying to go for a specific look to keep things period correct.

This is a mistake. Old ranges, gas or electric, loving suck to actually use. And good luck finding parts.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Oneiros posted:

Wait what? What kind of apartments don't have a kitchen?

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 3, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wait what? What kind of apartment don't have a kitchen?

The kind that's not a legal apartment. Which is most definitely a popular thing in the bay area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oneiros posted:

Coincidentally, there are huge sales of “camp” stoves.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Motronic posted:

The kind that's not a legal apartment. Which is most definitely a popular thing in the bay area.

This, Where I live on the other hand, most apartment complexes are shifting to "you will be guaranteed your own in unit washer and dryer" to try to get people

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AtomikKrab posted:

This, Where I live on the other hand, most apartment complexes are shifting to "you will be guaranteed your own in unit washer and dryer" to try to get people

Yeah, I won't even think of a unit without a washer/dryer in it, and I don't have extremely high standards

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Oneiros posted:

you'll pay $2000+ a month for your illegal adu and you'll shut your loving mouth about it 'cause otherwise you're loving homeless

christ

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

America!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RFC2324 posted:

America!

The Aristocrats! :wotwot:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mister Facetious posted:

The Aristocrats! :wotwot:

I was thinking how America! Has superceded The Aristocrats! When I posted that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaal posted:

One of the great things about induction is that it really is a big step up from both electric and gas in terms of performance. It heats really quickly (it can boil water twice as fast as gas or electric), evenly, and with a large amount of control. It's easy to clean, and really ends up being the best of all worlds. I grew up with gas, I've lived with both electric coils and electric glasstop, and I've used induction several times after my partner's parents bought one. I'd agree that gas has better performance than traditional electric, but induction has really been the best for sure.

The poster who posted about using induction on like a gridle to make just a hot top for normal pans makes me want to do it. But I'm probably multiple decades out from buying a new stove since I'm still renting and the housing market is unaffordable.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
e^ you can also buy an table induction burner if you want to test one out.

was going to make a quip about techbros/ code monkeys just needing a microwave and fridge/freezer, but im not sure what demo is buying these """"apartments"""".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s the demo whose workplace provides food to help keep them at the office longer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

withak posted:

It’s the demo whose workplace provides food to help keep them at the office longer.

I suspect a lot of people break the rule as a matter of routine, and landlords not only know it plan around using it to strongarm tenants into leaving when it's convenient for the landlord, and/or denying return of deposits.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

withak posted:

So how did that work out with the Work From Home thing that many tech places are still doing? Like Big Tech is still doing WFH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

There's a couple kinds:
- Illegal/unpermitted places. California requires some form of cooking appliances (which may only be hot plate/toaster oven for a JADU) in all apartments/ADUs/JADUs. Illegal rentals still exist and a someone renting out something could try to say "No hot plates", but landlord's ability to enforce that is going to be like enforcing any other part of an illegal lease
- SROs. These are generally converted hotels. They're allowed to have communal kitchens/bathrooms. Most are slummy and the very cheapest housing available before you're homeless, in SF they're $600-1300/month ish (and not uncommon to have multiple people per room splitting that).

There have been some companies trying to do more expensive SROs that are essentially college dorms aiming at techbros, I don't think they've been particularly successful or popular though.