Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This is so fuckin true. I run circles around most people at my current job and have won like 2 recognitions in less than a year and am the front runner for promotion to department management. And it's so god damned easy. Like what I consider basic work ethic and speed is absolutely not the standard at all.
I am actually super worried about this with the new office job I have. I'm already described as "physically exhausting to be around" because of my excessively hyper nature. I don't sit down well and I'm not good at chill. I worked in kitchens because they didn't make me calm down. I'm gonna have to reign it all the way in and I don't know if I'm going to be good at that. Hopefully having a standing desk and access to a gym will help? I'm going to be a problem :smith:

virinvictus posted:

Back in the restaurant game. I had quit four years ago to manage in the Arctic, but job sucked and my kid got super sick.. so I texted the owner of a local franchise.

In Ontario, so expected an offer close to minimum wage- initially got offered $18. But then a grocery store my wife worked at reached out and asked if I wanted to manage their hot foods department. So I told the franchise owner, and got offered $20/hr, benefits, signing bonus, guaranteed hours, and a bonus for staying on at 3 months and at 6 months.

Just as a line cook. No management responsibilities. No extra work. I work 8-10 hours a day and leave. I haven’t done anything but manage for years, and I loving missed cooking.
I see a lot of people that want to work in kitchens but also be an adult end up working in a grocery store commissary. Apparently it's a chill gig if you can handle not being allowed any creativity. I hope it works out well, it sounds like a good deal. Buy good shoes and better insoles and even nicer socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Ontario hiring is on fire rn, every salary is negotiable

Compared to last winter when multiple recruiters called me for multi-unit roles paying $50k lol

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 28, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just remembered there was this sob story on CNN about a guy who owned a roofing company and couldn't get any workers at $18, so he raised it to 20, nothing, 23 nothing, finally got some people to apply at $25.

Median wage for a roofer in America is $38 an hour.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I just remembered there was this sob story on CNN about a guy who owned a roofing company and couldn't get any workers at $18, so he raised it to 20, nothing, 23 nothing, finally got some people to apply at $25.

Median wage for a roofer in America is $38 an hour.

heck yeah, just saw a roofing job listing near me where you start at $12 an hour! up to $20 with enough experience!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aye Doc posted:

heck yeah, just saw a roofing job listing near me where you start at $12 an hour! up to $20 with enough experience!

Where I live it is illegal to pay someone only $12

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well, the new meat slicer was broken out on friday, and used to slice up a ham log (remember ham? It's back, and in log form.) It's loud and doesn't work very well but is probably better at even pieces than doing it by hand, and the volunteer who was tasked with slicing the ham log seemed to enjoy it. The ham log is not sufficient for our numbers, there needs must be another ham log.

No one is sure how to clean the slicer. The slicer now lives on the table at the back of the hall, glinting with malice.

Also, one of the other food charities (which does 600-700/night) has decided they don't want to do that anymore and they'll be doing food reclamation and sorting, then delivering produce so we don't have to spend all that time picking through moldy berries. We usually do 150-200 for lunch so we have no idea what effect them closing will have on our numbers. The board keeps assuring us that we're a lunch program and they're a dinner program so why would our numbers go up?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

fizzymercury posted:

I am actually super worried about this with the new office job I have. I'm already described as "physically exhausting to be around" because of my excessively hyper nature. I don't sit down well and I'm not good at chill. I worked in kitchens because they didn't make me calm down. I'm gonna have to reign it all the way in and I don't know if I'm going to be good at that. Hopefully having a standing desk and access to a gym will help? I'm going to be a problem :smith:

Whenever I hear someone mention "Out of an 8 hour day people are only productive about 4 of those hours" or whatever it is I think to myself "drat office people are lazy and don't actually know work"

I couldn't do it.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

AdorableStar posted:

Whenever I hear someone mention "Out of an 8 hour day people are only productive about 4 of those hours" or whatever it is I think to myself "drat office people are lazy and don't actually know work"

I couldn't do it.

You bring up some good points, let's have a meeting about it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Disargeria posted:

You bring up some good points, let's have a meeting about it.

Does everybody have time for it right before the two hour meeting the division chief has called to demand answers for why we're behind schedule?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

evilpicard posted:

Ontario hiring is on fire rn, every salary is negotiable

This. Just told our ownership that their BOH pay model is hosed and I'm never going to get new staff to work for what we're paying, and they're lucky their old staff likes their hours and easy work and doesn't like change or they'd already be gone. (I've been here about a month, been pushing for raises pretty much since my first week) Pretty sure next week I'm bumping everyone in the kitchen up $2/hour or more and already have an ad up offering 18-20/hour (plus $2+/hour from tipout, on top of the fact we actually offer PTO and medical/dental and stuff).

Still had a guy put his notice in this week because a hotel threw money at him.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Shame I quit life when minimum wage was still like $11.50.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AdorableStar posted:

I couldn't do it.

I hate when an 8 hour shift feels like 12+ hours because of all the empty time when there is "nothing" to do. My butt/back is sore from sitting there or my feet are sore from standing there.

It's better than going home bone-rear end-tired and soaking wet and stinky. But both are inferior to being a bit busy all day. If I bust my rear end to exhaustion and past that I feel like poo poo when I get home. If I sit around doing nothing for half my shift or more I feel tired and drained and bored when I get home. Work at a nice steady reasonable pace all day, I feel great when I get off the clock. Still got some gas in the tank to do 110% of the housework and cook a real good dinner with leftovers.

That's my dream job. The Dick Warehouse was that, but they moved more than hour away and wasn't feasible to commute. So now I have a slow easy job where I get home and don't want to do anything, because I spent all day doing nothing. It pays the bills, at least.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

AdorableStar posted:

I couldn't do it.

Ah, but the difference is those 'four hours' in an eight hour day usually come with a couple hours every day you're off answering calls about why you haven't responded to an email that was sent half an hour after close of business on Friday and won't get a response from the requestor until at least after noon Monday but needs you eyes on it -right now-.

Salary makes bosses right when they think they own your time off.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Goddammit please stop making me scared of my new office job.

Just sitting here rocking back and forth with dread, remembering what boredom and stress do to me.

Can y'all at least promise me I won't feel like crying in a cold room because someone sent back my work for a third time despite it being perfect?

...I know the answer.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Your alternative is cooking until you're like me, a hard working burnout with no real desire to stay in the industry but no real motivation to move on, just drinking yourself to death until ya pass out, sober up, and work again.
Maybe take up a martial art or some other physically demanding hobby to get the excess anxious energy out you won't be expending in an office?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

nudejedi posted:

Your alternative is cooking until you're like me, a hard working burnout with no real desire to stay in the industry but no real motivation to move on, just drinking yourself to death until ya pass out, sober up, and work again.
Maybe take up a martial art or some other physically demanding hobby to get the excess anxious energy out you won't be expending in an office?
I'm 38 and a rampaging alcoholic. I am you. It's why I quit. I already do rowing and do housecleaning for everyone as a hobby. I ran out of energy for those things because of work and my job performance sucked from the bitterness.

I know I'll get over it, I'm just scared to change.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just shitpost instead of work and you'll do fine.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

fizzymercury posted:

My partner just transitioned from working in and running a kitchen to office work. HMU if you have any questions for them.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

fizzymercury posted:

I'm 38 and a rampaging alcoholic. I am you. It's why I quit. I already do rowing and do housecleaning for everyone as a hobby. I ran out of energy for those things because of work and my job performance sucked from the bitterness.

Understandable, I'm only just getting around to re-realizing I have more value as a human than just lifer cook doin the work drink sleep repeat. :toot:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

nudejedi posted:

Understandable, I'm only just getting around to re-realizing I have more value as a human than just lifer cook doin the work drink sleep repeat. :toot:

It's a nice little loop until it isn't. Reality has a fast forward button, but it's nowhere near as cool as science fiction would make you believe.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

fizzymercury posted:

Goddammit please stop making me scared of my new office job.

Just sitting here rocking back and forth with dread, remembering what boredom and stress do to me.

Can y'all at least promise me I won't feel like crying in a cold room because someone sent back my work for a third time despite it being perfect?

...I know the answer.

Compared to kitchen management, this is cake. Sure, I get occasional calls off-hours, but they're not 'hey, the line cook's passed out drunk in the lobby restroom, come in and work dinner rush'.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

Compared to kitchen management, this is cake. Sure, I get occasional calls off-hours, but they're not 'hey, the line cook's passed out drunk in the lobby restroom, come in and work dinner rush'.

Yeah, most of the stress in an office job comes from poorly communicated expectations, poorly documented procedures/requirements, working with people you don't get along with....

This is sounding frighteningly similar to a lot of the stress in hospitality. Just with fewer drunks and more sitting down.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

USF has changed our start times to 9 in the morning now

This is so loving late I don't know what I'm going to do with all this time I don't have to sleep right now

poo poo still won't be ready

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Can any of you recommend some good kitchen shoes? I'm about to start working in the kitchen at a hospital and I'm not sure what's best to get. I'm going to be doing back of house stuff but I'm also going to be preparing trays and delivering them to patients. I'm a type-1 diabetic so I want to be very careful with my feet (they're in great shape, thankfully, no loss of feeling at all and they heal quickly) and of course I don't want to slip and kill myself or anybody else.

Thanks in advance.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’m long out of the industry now, but I have a pair of Danskos & Birkenstock kitchen clogs that were far more comfortable than anything else I had/tried on.

e:
these
https://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Birkenstock/Boston.cfm/prod5.AH882

& these I think?

https://www.dansko.com/professional-black-oiled

Hauki fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 2, 2021

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have recently learned that Merrell makes a non slip shoe. I wish I would have known when I needed them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Can any of you recommend some good kitchen shoes? I'm about to start working in the kitchen at a hospital and I'm not sure what's best to get. I'm going to be doing back of house stuff but I'm also going to be preparing trays and delivering them to patients. I'm a type-1 diabetic so I want to be very careful with my feet (they're in great shape, thankfully, no loss of feeling at all and they heal quickly) and of course I don't want to slip and kill myself or anybody else.

Thanks in advance.

Danskos and Red Wings frequently get high marks in here. Shoes for Crews have a mixed reputation - they're functionally pretty good and your employer may have an account with them for a solid discount, however a lot of people have issues with them falling apart sooner rather than later.

The General posted:

I have recently learned that Merrell makes a non slip shoe. I wish I would have known when I needed them.

Apparently Merrell has gone downhill. My hiking buddies have sworn them off, according to them quality has gone down and they fall apart far too fast now.

Edit: Take this with a grain of salt, it is second hand experience of course.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The MOZO line from shoes for crews. Unbelievably comfortable, and durable as poo poo. I've had my current pair of boots from them for 5 years, including yard work at home, and they haven't even started to fall apart. That line also looks great, they are conceived as shoes to wear "on both sides of the bar".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm honestly thinking about taking the dive into this poo poo again since I live in a tourist town, need weird hours and there's not a ton of other stuff out there. I need to find somewhere close I can work since my car is old and commuting to Jacksonville costs me $80 or $90 a week. My graphic design, illustration and Adobe skills are less and less valued.

Every restaurant here is hiring and claim that "nobody wants to work". I'm not a masochist but it's either this or some sort of hotel work and i know I can just walk if it the poo poo gets too deep.

Any advice for a an old veteran who hasn't seen combat in a long time? Besides "DONT DO IT" I mean.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Any advice for a an old veteran who hasn't seen combat in a long time? Besides "DONT DO IT" I mean.

don't forget the "i know I can just walk if it the poo poo gets too deep." part, and do it if they're lovely.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Be ready to watch the food you cooked with love and attention sit and get cold for a good 5 mins on the table while the customers snap pics for their social media....

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

ughhhh posted:

Be ready to watch the food you cooked with love and attention sit and get cold for a good 5 mins on the table while the customers snap pics for their social media....

Or find a closed kitchen. Ignorance is bliss.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just need the money, somewhere to work that's close by and the the semi weird and flexible hours. Bonus points if I can make some cash.

There don't seem to be any places to work within 50 miles of me that aren't hotels, restaurants or retail.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

PurplPenisEata posted:

Or find a closed kitchen. Ignorance is bliss.

FOH will come back and say the customer found the food too cold.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Shoes for Crews is good for while they last, I generally got about a year-ish out of mine, with the caveat that I was getting good insoles to make up for the cheap shoes. I didn't mind terribly since about the time they started to wear out was the time that there was no getting the work shoe smell out of them.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I always had red wings and they lasted really well (with insoles for comfort, an added expense worth noting), but the first ~2 weeks of break in was really rough. Hot points develop pretty quickly, and then you know where to put duct tape on your feet until the leather softens up to avoid awful blisters. Then all of a sudden, they're supple and comfy and stay that way for as many years as the soles stay good/non-slip.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I always had red wings and they lasted really well (with insoles for comfort, an added expense worth noting), but the first ~2 weeks of break in was really rough. Hot points develop pretty quickly, and then you know where to put duct tape on your feet until the leather softens up to avoid awful blisters. Then all of a sudden, they're supple and comfy and stay that way for as many years as the soles stay good/non-slip.

Seconding redwings, because they can also work as your daily ware if you get the redwing heritage. They stopped the cork soles recently I think, but they will last you a good long while. Spending a day sharpening knives and polishing my redwings was the most zen I would be after doing 12 hours shifts.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Wearing your work shoes as your daily shoes sounds horrible, change poo poo up for the sake of your poor feet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ughhhh posted:

FOH will come back and say the customer found the food too cold.

I would only do that if I saw a table try the food pretty soon after it showed up. I hated people who took phots of their food, but if it's supposed to be hot the time it takes to take a photo of the food shouldn't be long enough that the food gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Wearing your work shoes as your daily shoes sounds horrible, change poo poo up for the sake of your poor feet.

well if they are comfortable enough to be worn on a 12+ hour shift whats wrong with wearing them while getting groceries or whatever

if your feet hurt wearing work shoes all the time get new work news :shrug: